Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Myth of energy and GDP

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Unread postby JohnDenver » Mon 18 Apr 2005, 21:12:33

Ludi wrote:In what way does this add to the GDP? They must be producing something to add to the GDP, mustn't they?

You said using less energy would increase their efficiency at producing, unless I've misunderstood you.

Ludi, the basic idea is that intellectual work can be done with very low levels of energy. If I switch jobs from welder to telecommuting knowledge worker, I can increase my income (i.e. boost GDP) while reducing energy use. This does not mean that it takes zero energy to perform intellectual work. Monte is right on that point. It means that GDP can go up while energy use goes down. On that point Wildwell is right.

On a larger scale, you see whole countries (like the UK) change their job from welder to knowledge worker. It only takes about 100 watts to power a knowledge worker (i.e. the power consumption of a human brain).
JohnDenver
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Mon 18 Apr 2005, 21:16:48

I make things for a living, so I don't know what a "knowledge worker" is.

Where does the money come from to boost your income and thus increase the GDP? From thin air?
Ludi

Unread postby Wildwell » Mon 18 Apr 2005, 21:20:23

It could do, I could invent a new way to make money or invent something such as a new way to make more energy, eg solar panels

Yes I ought to make clear you need energy for everything we do, just moving about for example. The point is MQ seems to think that we could not survive on 20% of our current energy use because energy has a linear relationship with GDP.

(I can't believe I'm having this conversation?)
Wildwell
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Mon 18 Apr 2005, 21:24:58

Is there an example of a nation which increased its GDP while decreasing its energy use? Did the UK increase its GDP and decrease its energy use when it went to "knowledge work"?

I'd just like an example of where and when this happened, if it's already been posted, I'm sorry, I must have missed it...
Ludi

Unread postby Wildwell » Mon 18 Apr 2005, 21:32:26

Ludi wrote:Is there an example of a nation which increased its GDP while decreasing its energy use? Did the UK increase its GDP and decrease its energy use when it went to "knowledge work"?

I'd just like an example of where and when this happened, if it's already been posted, I'm sorry, I must have missed it...

Many, many places. A few are listed in this thread. UK, Eastern Europe, Cuba, Sweden without looking more up.

Anyway, I’m going to leave it their guys, I’m sure MQ will come back and tell me I've broken some law by stating you can make energy from solar panels - he ought to know that's not what I mean.
Wildwell
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby JohnDenver » Mon 18 Apr 2005, 21:34:27

Ludi wrote:I make things for a living, so I don't know what a "knowledge worker" is.

Lawyers, designers, accountants, financial people, engineers, musicians, writers etc. Anybody whose product or input is essentially digital.

Where does the money come from to boost your income and thus increase the GDP? From thin air?

The money is created through a process managed by the central bank. Basically, it does come from thin air. Money itself is a digital object (i.e. blips in a computer) so it's basically made out of thin air anyway. It's just an idea.
JohnDenver
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Mon 18 Apr 2005, 21:35:33

Well, that's neat. I didn't know any countries had reduced their energy use while increasing their GDP. Guess I'll have to look up those statistics somehow, just to prove it to myself.
Ludi

Unread postby MonteQuest » Mon 18 Apr 2005, 21:37:13

Wildwell wrote: The point is MQ seems to think that we could not survive on 20% of our current energy use because energy has a linear relationship with GDP.

You can believe any bullshit you want, Wildwell. But don't put words in my mouth or even infer things that I never said.

In other words, STFU! :evil:
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Wildwell » Mon 18 Apr 2005, 22:32:22

I'm glad you got it in the end, yes indeed the world runs on Bullshit and most of the oil in Saudi is made from shit as well.

I particularly enjoy when people get insulting or aggressive to me as this usually means I am penetrating their believe systems.

I’m glad we agree I was right in the end!
Last edited by Wildwell on Tue 19 Apr 2005, 05:05:36, edited 1 time in total.
Wildwell
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby jato » Tue 19 Apr 2005, 00:08:49

It just hit me!!!! :P Energy will decline due to depleting fossil fuels and GDP will hit record highs! We will have warp drive, nanobots, zero point energy and space mirrors within 10 years!!! But we don’t even need all of those technologies! We just need really smart people to think. As we have read, thoughts will run the economy. Really smart people will come up with technology that will never need to be built! We don’t need to build it, because we can have less energy with increasing GDP!

What a great thread!!! I've got to hand it to you boys in Europe, you just solved all of our economic problems!

I think all of this energy use is just holding us back! We will all just have "intellectual jobs" or WTF ever you guys are talking about.
jato

Unread postby Wildwell » Tue 19 Apr 2005, 05:10:38

Think about what makes money: Sports, acting, inventions, music, art, writing, lawyers, and consultants - all relatively low energy activities.

Then read the entire thread.
Wildwell
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Licho » Tue 19 Apr 2005, 06:20:00

Is it just me, or are some people just dogmatic with their beliefs?
Especially people who themselves are using too much energy, driving luxury cars, and living in America.. It seems to me weird, that these people are scared most, and believe in such ridiculous things like "you cannot increase GDP without energy" despite existing counter-examples and so on..

Also, most doomers come from USA and probably are living lives in relative luxury, isn't it strange?

It seems to me that dogmatic people don't read arguments. Wildwell is not arguying that you can increase production of physicial goods (using same old methods) with no extra energy. He is just saying you can increase GDP, and that's absolutely true, even on global world scale.
It's making some people uncomfortable, because this means, that there is no need for global economic crash and new world order many are waiting for..
Licho
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby tokyo_to_motueka » Tue 19 Apr 2005, 06:58:53

Wildwell wrote:Think about what makes money: Sports, acting, inventions, music, art, writing, lawyers, and consultants - all relatively low energy activities.

Then read the entire thread.

rather than re-reading the entire thread, i think it's time to go back to the basics here.

what is GDP?
Gross Domestic Product
not money, product, which includes goods and services.

specifically, the sum of all goods and services (both final and internediate) produced within a particular economy, usually within a given year.

GDP is one way of measuring economic output. there are others.

GDP is usually measured in one of the following units:
1. local currency (real or nominal)
2. US dollars (real or nominal)
3. purchasing power parity (usually expressed as PPP US$)

but economic output is not money. money is merely an arbitrary measurement of that output.

some things are produced in an economy and they are not measured within GDP. why? for the convenience of econometricians and their statistical models based on data series.

so, to your example (from another thread):

Wildwell wrote:An easy example, If all the women in the world decided to charge $10,000 for sex each time overnight, banks could lend men money on the basis there is a supply of women AND charge interest increasing the money supply and debt for no additional energy requirement compared to the previous night, just a change in arrangement.

in this example, the "output" that has always existed in the economy suddenly appears in the GDP statistics, where before, as far as GDP is concerned, this never existed.

transferring some good or service from being non-monetized to monetized does not actually add to GDP, because GDP is supposed to be the sum of all goods and services produced already. all it does is make it "visible" to the statisticians who feed the GDP number crunchers their raw data. so you could interpret this as just making the model more accurate since no actual change in GDP has occurred.

the same goes for the "black market" economy of undeclared trading.

so back to the original arguments:

does economic growth require growth in energy input?
YES. in the long term. because economic growth means more goods and services are being produced.
can't produce them without more energy.
even in the medium term if you make everything in the economy more energy efficient (highly unlikely) you will get to a point in the long run where your efficiency gains are swallowed up and overtaken by your growth. logical?

efficiency gains cannot go on forever, neither can econimic growth in a finite planet.

does GDP have a linear relationship with energy demand?
i would say probably yes.
over the long run (30 years plus).
but you see the way the econometricians measure GDP has changed significantly over the last 50 years and what gets included and what doesn't is an arbitrary choice for their convenience.

so you get all sorts of distortions and cannot take every bit of detail as gospel. the GDP figures are based on a statistical "model" of the real economy. and it is measured in money.

when MonteQuest and Aaron talk about economic growth, i interpret it to mean actual increase in output produced. not changes in the methods of measurement.
tokyo_to_motueka
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Mercani » Tue 19 Apr 2005, 07:13:20

World Primary Energy Consumption per GDP (in 1998)
Oil equivalent ton/$1milion

Japan: 96
USA: 271
Germany: 135
UK: 195

It is clear that GDP is in no way direct correlation with energy use. These are hard facts. To produce the same amount of dollars worth of goods and services, Japan used about 1/3rd energy compared to the US !

Monte and Aaron, why don't you bring your own data to prove your point ?
Mercani
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Wildwell » Tue 19 Apr 2005, 07:16:38

Well no it doesn't depend on long term energy growth because of new ways of living and new methods of doing things. It might be possible to sustain the whole world on half the energy we are using now and replace that energy with renewable.
Wildwell
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby jato » Tue 19 Apr 2005, 07:31:05

We have become more efficient:

World Primary Energy Consumption per GDP
(Oil equivalent ton/1995 price: US$1milion)

USA -34% since 1974
Japan -23.9% since 1974

However, in the process the world consumed more energy (every single country listed consumed more energy than in 1973):

World Primary Energy Consumption
(Oil equivalent tons/person)

USA +25.7% since 1973
Japan +57.4% since 1973

What will continuous declining energy do to the GDP numbers?
Last edited by jato on Tue 19 Apr 2005, 08:03:11, edited 1 time in total.
jato

Unread postby Wildwell » Tue 19 Apr 2005, 07:54:59

The rise since 1973 is due to things like cars.

But what happens when you take half those cars off the road or replace combustion engines with electric motors? The answer is you use less energy. One argument is people that are getting more economy they make that up in miles. There is some evidence of this, but if the fuel doubles in price and you double the efficiency what would be the effect then? Think about it. If that fuel is coming from renewable sources then you're home.
Wildwell
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Mercani » Tue 19 Apr 2005, 07:59:10

In the short term GDP growth does not require energy growth. There can be enormous efficiency increases, which can let us produce more goods and services with less energy. (just compare US and Japan figures) US GDP could at least triple while energy consumption remained constant.

In the long term, it is debatable. But, I tend to agree with tokyo_to_motueka that at some point energy efficiency may not be increased any further.

If solar potential can be used and fusion is utilized, energy increase may not be a problem at all. Oil is not the only source of energy.

I think finite earth is a limit to GDP growth in the very long run. However nobody knows that we won't start colonizing space. Let's focus on the 21st century for now. :roll:
Mercani
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Aaron » Tue 19 Apr 2005, 08:18:03

Here is an explanation of the DIRECT CORRELATION between energy and economy, which you won't read.

They raise excellent points, which you will never hear, and provide data to demonstrate these points, which you won't see or understand.

No wonder our planet is in such a pickle.

The close relationship between energy consumption and economic growth as measured by growth of GDP has been demonstrated by many researchers in the past (Eden, Darmstadler etc). This paper goes a step further and argues that the cost and availability of energy is a major factor promoting economic growth. Consequently, the classical production function should include an energy term in addition to land, capital, labour and technical progress

link
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Unread postby tokyo_to_motueka » Tue 19 Apr 2005, 09:06:07

Wildwell wrote:Well no it doesn't depend on long term energy growth because of new ways of living and new methods of doing things.

so these "new ways of living and new methods of doing things" include replacing all the old production with "new production" that is greater in quantity (not dollar-measured value but the actual sum of goods and services produced) than what we have now?

i would suggest that with significantly less energy, your "new ways of living and new methods of doing things" would lead to a much smaller output of goods and services, hence economic shrinkage not growth.

Wildwell wrote:It might be possible to sustain the whole world on half the energy we are using now and replace that energy with renewable.

it might be possible for me to flap my arms and fly over to have a cup of tea with Aaron in Houston, but the likelihood is rather low.
tokyo_to_motueka
Coal
Coal

PreviousNext

Return to Economics & Finance