Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Motorcycle, Moped and Electric Bike Thread (merged)

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Re: Anyown own a moped?

Unread postby WisJim » Mon 30 Jul 2007, 10:51:18

kaktus wrote:I dont want to offend but isnt a two stroke engine a big step backwards? environmentally it would probably be better to drive a H-D.

Or even a car probably has fewer emissions than a 2 stroke moped.
WisJim
Expert
Expert

Unread postby yesplease » Mon 30 Jul 2007, 12:56:41

gg3 wrote:My guess is that bicycle frames would be dangerous at a consistent 30 mph, since they don't have suspension and would be vulnerable to all manner of crappy road surfaces. Mopeds as such, have suspension and heavier frames.
Ime, most bicycle frames don't need to be built to the same standards of moped frames because the design is inherently better (triangle versus step-through). A decent mtb, cylocross, touring, etc... bike will hand 30mph consistently no problem. The only problem is if the rider can handle 30mph consistently. In fact, I would guess that just about any mtb/bmx can handle way more than any moped. A 10' drop is no sweat for those, but any moped I know of doing the same thing would be junk after. If anything, the only problems would be the skill of the rider, wheelset, and steering characteristics. A small four stroke on a bike should be capable of ~200mpg and 30mph.
Professor Membrane wrote: Not now son, I'm making ... TOAST!
yesplease
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ShinyOldLady » Tue 31 Jul 2007, 00:56:08

Bought a Honda Metropolitan a few summers ago. Great mileage and companion vehicle to my rusty '85 suburban. Everyone wants me to get a "real" car, but this just doesn't seem the time to get 30K in debt for a new vehicle.
ShinyOldLady
Peat
Peat

Re: Motorbikes?

Unread postby Honbrid » Fri 17 Aug 2007, 23:10:57

The new, 2007 Honda CR-V is more powerful, more stylish and more comfortable than the previous-generation 2006 models. Its new suspension geometry delivers an improved ride and better, more responsive handling.

Buyers choose from three models, the LX, the EX and the EX-L. The latter comes trimmed in leather and can be fitted with an optional navigation system that incorporates a rearview video camera for safe and easy backing. All have four doors and seat five.

The engine, still an inline four cylinder, employs variable intake valve timing to optimize horsepower and torque for acceleration and cruising speeds. The transmission is a new, five-speed automatic. Real Time all-wheel drive is offered on all three models. The U.S. EPA rates the front-wheel drive CR-V at 23/30 city/highway miles per gallon and the all-wheel drive at 22/28.

Thus, buyers looking for peppy performance, snazzy styling and easier financing have better choices. They could also add a Honda control arm in it for better protection.. But for Honda loyalists looking for something better than their current CR-V or an SUV to step up into from their Civic, the '07 is the logical way to go.
Honbrid
Wood
Wood

Electric Scooter - Japan

Unread postby vision-master » Thu 06 Sep 2007, 10:10:31

The town goes by just electricity. Furthermore it evolved “Passol-L” new appearance!
It runs with [chikara] of 100% electricity, as for “Passol-L” in the positive shining which is bright, the minimum commuter of the short range which can be enjoyed easily in walking feeling.
“Being light very, “the easy travelling impression of being easy to handle”, “travel distance increasing to anyone,” furthermore conveniently”. Furthermore it evolved “Passol-L” new appearance!

The distance which it can run with the charge of 1 times changes with the repetition of stop and takeoff and the state road circumstance etc of the battery, but approximately 25~30km is actualized with general road travelling in the urban district.

vision-master

Re: Electric Scooter - Japan

Unread postby rostov » Thu 06 Sep 2007, 10:38:11

regards,
Rostov
"Some {} are more equal than others"
rostov
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby SteinarN » Sun 23 Sep 2007, 12:30:12

Where i'm from nearly everybody had a moped when we were young, 15-16. (I'm 40 now, from rural Norway) Nowadays hardly anybody have one. I remember a 2-stroke 50cc usually got about 120 mpg. One of us had a Honda 4-stroke 50cc that got about 150-160 mpg. I dont know if there are many 4-strok mopeds available. If there is i will recomend a 4-stroke. It is tremendously less polluting than a 2-strok, less thirsty (1/4-1/3 less) and doesnt require additional oil in the gas.
SteinarN
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby SteinarN » Sun 23 Sep 2007, 12:30:40

Double post
SteinarN
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby skeptik » Mon 24 Sep 2007, 10:18:46

Terran wrote:Anyone have any experence with a moped?
Mopeds come in many designs, some look more like a motorcycle, while others look like a bicycle.

Save yourself the bother and by a Honda 4 stroke model. Very reliable. Good dealer backup. Excellent mpg. Be very careful if tempted to go for a cheaper Chinese model. Some have very poor build quality. Poor dealer backup, difficulty in obtaining spares within a reasonable length of time. Rust problems. If buying Chinese - do your research!

I'm riding a Honda ANF125i semi automatic, 4 gears, fuel injection, good mileage and quiet. Step thru design with big wheel stability. The semi auto gear change is great for in town use. All you do is back off the revs a bit and kick to the next gear - no clutch lever. Also makes the bike near impossible to stall.

This in Europe is the model which replaced the best selling motorbike of all time, the Honda Cub (50cc,70cc & 90cc versions, more than 50 million sold and still going) , which is still being produced in some parts of the world. Should last me 15 years possibly longer, so long as I maintain it properly. Expect 3 to 4 years usage from a cheap Chinese model.
skeptik
Coal
Coal

Unread postby ohanian » Mon 24 Sep 2007, 19:21:56

skeptik wrote:I'm riding a Honda ANF125i semi automatic, 4 gears, fuel injection, good mileage and quiet. Step thru design with big wheel stability. The semi auto gear change is great for in town use. All you do is back off the revs a bit and kick to the next gear - no clutch lever. Also makes the bike near impossible to stall.

That bike is way too cool! what do you get? 100 MPG?
ohanian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby skeptic » Tue 16 Oct 2007, 09:51:41

ohanian wrote:
skeptik wrote:I'm riding a Honda ANF125i semi automatic, 4 gears, fuel injection, good mileage and quiet. Step thru design with big wheel stability. The semi auto gear change is great for in town use. All you do is back off the revs a bit and kick to the next gear - no clutch lever. Also makes the bike near impossible to stall.

That bike is way too cool! what do you get? 100 MPG?

about 160mpg (Imperial gallons) you can hypermile it up to 200mpg, which includes keeping top speed below 35mpg.

It cruises very comfortably at 45mph - push up much beyond that a and things start to sound a bit strained and raucous. Top sustainable speed on the flat is about 60mph. I never go that fast! ( more of an easy rider) This bike is definitely designed for economy and utility in the tradition of the Cub, not performance.

worst points - limited storage compared to a small wheel scooter, due to the full size wheels, and small fuel tank. A rack and topbox are must buy accessories.
review: Biker Cafe
skeptic
Peat
Peat

THE Motorcycle, Moped and Electric Bike Thread (merged)

Unread postby vampyregirl » Tue 15 Jan 2008, 12:31:46

anyone else here have a motorcycle? i have an 07 Suzuki gixer600. my longest ride was 1900km in two days. i learned the stock seat sucks shit for long rides. i havent been that sore since i had my son. i love riding in the twisties but long distances in a straight line gets old on a sportbike. whats this got to do with conservation? well it is much more fuel efficient than my car. i wish i could ride more often.
vampyregirl
Coal
Coal

Re: just out of curiosity

Unread postby Pixie » Tue 15 Jan 2008, 14:46:41

So do you ride in in situations where others would drive a car? For instance, commuting to work? Because that would be conservation. On the other hand, if you mostly ride it for road trips, then that doesn't necessarily count as conservation, because they are trips you wouldn't have taken otherwise.

What kind of mileage does your bike get anyway?
Just another tofu-munching bike-riding Rambo(/Rambette)
Pixie
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby vampyregirl » Wed 16 Jan 2008, 13:25:32

my bike gets 26 kilometers to the liter at highway speeds. less on the track cause the engine is working harder then. i havent ridden lately cause its been to cold. when i can i often do ride to work and i love trips in the rockies.
vampyregirl
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Pixie » Wed 16 Jan 2008, 15:39:01

vampyregirl wrote:my bike gets 26 kilometers to the liter at highway speeds. less on the track cause the engine is working harder then. i havent ridden lately cause its been to cold. when i can i often do ride to work and i love trips in the rockies.

60mpg for the US citizens. That's not bad. I have a coworker that rides his dirt bike to the office in good weather. He gets 90mpg (39kpl). I ride a bicycle when the weather is that good.
Just another tofu-munching bike-riding Rambo(/Rambette)
Pixie
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby burnfromwithin » Wed 16 Jan 2008, 16:54:42

I have a '99 Suzuki Katana 600 and rode it to work very often this past summer. I get between 50-60 mpg, depending on how I drive it - but its a sports bike so its fun to drive it fast.

My main uses for it are trips that I would take with my car anyways, but are too far (or would require too much time to ride) on a bicycle. My work commute is an unfortunate example of this. Other times might be visiting old friends or relatives that live 10+ miles away from me. For some reason all my friends and relatives actually like living in the suburbs.

Of course, right now it is in storage due to the cold weather. And I'm not sure how much I will take it to work this coming summer, I have moved in with a co-worker of mine and carpooling in one of our small cars would be more efficient than riding the motorcycle.

I always have to resist the urge to go about 50 miles from here where there are some really awesome back-country roads. Riding my motorcycle there would be fun, but I would consider it wasteful and bad for global warming.

And yes, long trips are incredibly uncomfortable.
burnfromwithin
Wood
Wood

Unread postby drew » Fri 18 Jan 2008, 01:00:00

I had a Gamma which I raced briefly in 1990. It didn't get near 29 km per litre that's for sure. I sold it for 400 bucks after its time at shannonville. Google the gamma for curiosity and find out what they go for now. I'm still kicking myself......

Drew
drew
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Lighthouse » Fri 18 Jan 2008, 01:47:39

I ride a Hyosung GT650 whenever I can. 4.5l/100km.
My longest run were Perth - Noosa (i.e 5000km) in 2 1/2 Days and Perth Sydney (i.e. 4600 km) in three days. (For an Iron Butt Saddle Sore certificate)
You will find a picture of me on this trip on my bike in the member photos ...
or here: Photo
I am a sarcastic cynic. Some say I'm an asshole. Now that we have that out of the way ...
Lighthouse
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby kmann » Fri 18 Jan 2008, 01:53:20

'74 Harley SX 350. yep a 350. It's actually an Italian made bike. Been sittin' in my mom's garage for the last 20 years, needs work.
kmann
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby drew » Sat 19 Jan 2008, 16:31:56

kmann wrote:'74 Harley SX 350. yep a 350. It's actually an Italian made bike. Been sittin' in my mom's garage for the last 20 years, needs work.

Christ i'm old. I remember them when I was a kid. Aermacchi was the company, AMF bought them and rebranded their bikes as harleys. Oddly enough, I think Harley actually won a world title in 350 GP because of this.
Your SX is the enduro dirt bike, I remember those.
Never saw any of the street bikes though.
Drew
drew
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

PreviousNext

Return to Conservation & Efficiency