Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Middle East (general) Thread (merged)

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Re: THE Middle East (general) Thread (merged)

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Wed 07 Jun 2017, 19:15:46

Probably more to do with the surge in oil stocks in the US...up 3.3 MMB opposed to a general analyst expectation of a 3.5 MMB drop.
Whether this has a good explanation or not there will be some pressure on WTI over the next few days.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GoghGoner » Tue 13 Jun 2017, 14:38:14

Qatar Shuts Off Helium Plants

The two plants have a combined annual production capacity of approximately 2 billion standard cubic feet of liquid helium and can meet about 25 percent of total world demand for the gas, according to RasGas' website.

Among its uses, helium is used to cool superconducting magnets in medical magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scanners, as a lifting gas in balloons and airships, as a gas to breathe in deep-sea diving and to keep satellite instruments cool. It is derived from natural gas during processing.
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 25 Jun 2017, 11:13:43

http://21stcenturywire.com/2017/06/07/t ... order-war/

The Machiavellian Plot to Provoke Saudi Arabia and Qatar into a “Blood Border” War
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 29 Jun 2017, 17:11:17

https://www.theatlantic.com/internation ... se/463212/

Preparing for the Collapse of the Saudi Kingdom

It can’t last. The U.S. better get ready.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 24 Jul 2017, 14:49:54

onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:26:23

Goner - Interesting tidbit about helium. I wonder how many are aware:

"The National Helium Reserve, also known as the Federal Helium Reserve, is a strategic reserve of the United States holding over 35 billion cubic feet of helium gas. The helium is stored at the Cliffside Storage Facility about 12 miles northwest of Amarillo, Texas, in a natural geologic gas storage formation, the Bush Dome reservoir. The reserve was established with the enactment of the Helium Act of 1925. The strategic supply provisioned the noble gas for airships, and in the 1950s became an important source of coolant during the Cold War and Space Race.

The facilities were located close to the Hugoton and other natural gas fields in southwest Kansas and the panhandle of Oklahoma, plus the Panhandle Field in Texas. These fields contain natural gas with unusually high percentages of helium—from 0.3% to 2.7%—and constitute the United States' largest helium source. The helium is separated as a byproduct from the produced natural gas."

I wonder if they mean 2 billion standard cubic feet of liquid helium if it were gasified or 2 billion cf of liquid? Looked all over and can't find an easy way to convert a volume of LIQUID helium to a volume of gaseous helium.

And there's this recent news:

"The U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM), which accounts for about 20% of global helium supply, has ramped up production at its Cliffside facility in Texas to help offset the loss of the Qatari helium. However, technical problems capped additional supplies, notes Walter Nelson, vice president for helium at Air Products & Chemicals, which operates two helium refining plants tied to BLM operations. Thus, a continuation of the Qatar embargo will impact prices, Nelson says."

And the story gets more interesting, such as the govt will soon NOT BE SELLING helium to the public. Wonder if that's at the request of the DoD?

"The US Bureau of Land Management (BLM) held its FY 2018 Crude Helium Auction in Amarillo, Texas yesterday, the fourth crude helium auction conducted by the BLM since passage of the Helium Stewardship Act of 2013.

The FY 2018 auction was the penultimate crude helium auction by the BLM as the Federal Reserve of crude helium will reach the minimum level of 3 billion cubic feet mandated by the legislation after the FY 2019 auction and Conservation Helium Sale, at which time, no further sales of crude helium will be allowed to private industry.

The BLM auctioned off a total of 500 million cubic feet (MMscf) of crude helium in 30 individual lots. There were 13 lots of 25 MMscf each, 9 lots of 15 MMscf each and 8 lots of 5 MMscf each.

The overall result of the auction was that 500 MMscf of crude helium was sold for total proceeds to the BLM of $59,655,000, or an average price of $119.31/Mscf (thousand cubic feet). The average price represents an increase of $12.21/Mscf or 11.4% from the average price of $107.10/Mscf that resulted from the FY 2017 auction."

Hmm? If the numbers are correct at one time we had 35 billion cf but we will soon be at 3 billion cf? If so I can see why the govt will reserve the remainder for the military. Need to keep those spy satellites flying. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 13 Apr 2018, 11:20:02

Wow some dissension within NATO ranks
http://www.newsweek.com/us-israel-saudi ... ays-770728
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby vox_mundi » Mon 16 Jul 2018, 11:56:53

Widespread Unrest Erupts In Southern Iraq Amid Acute Shortages of Water, Electricity

BAGHDAD — Widespread unrest is engulfing southern Iraq as Iraqis frustrated by shortages of electricity, water and jobs vent their anger, setting fire to political offices, attacking government infrastructure and deepening uncertainty about the country’s shaky political future.

The government on Saturday cut off Internet access across much of Iraq in an apparent bid to contain further violence. The Defense Ministry ordered security forces on high alert after demonstrations that erupted six days earlier in the southern port city of Basra spread overnight to many other parts of the overwhelmingly Shiite south, where a heat wave has aggravated poor living conditions.
This is not the first time that demonstrations, triggered at least initially by the lack of electricity during the hot summer months, have destabilized southern Iraq. Persistent power shortages since the U.S.-led invasion leave people sweltering without fans or air conditioners. This year conditions have been worsened by a severe drought, which has reduced the availability of water, and a decision by Iran to cut off the electricity it exports to Iraq because of a dispute over payments, further reducing the supply.

Internet has been shut down in southern and central Iraq, including Baghdad, as protests continue to spread

Iraq Declares State of Emergency Amid Ongoing Violent Protests

Kurdistan Indefinitely Blocks Social Media Networks at Baghdad’s Request: Ministry

The Iraqi federal government blocked access to major social media networks amid growing unrest in the country as demonstrations turned violent in several provinces. Some reported complete internet service outages in certain areas.

The social media network blackout also included the semi-autonomous Kurdistan Region in the north of the country.

The Kurdish official added they had received information that internet service cables for the Kurdistan Region had been sabotaged in an attack in the Daquq and Khrumatu areas of southern Kirkuk Province.

Elsewhere ...

Haiti Gripped by Deadly Riots Over Fuel Prices
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dissident » Sat 27 Apr 2019, 12:42:29

https://twitter.com/RanaHarbi/status/11 ... 3012867074

Non-violent teen protestor arrested by the Saudi regime and put on death row for 7 years and finally beheaded.

I wonder why this is not newsworthy for the NATO fake stream media. Gross human rights abuse is OK as long as it is by vassal regimes?
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 27 Apr 2019, 14:13:45

dissident wrote:https://twitter.com/RanaHarbi/status/1120794513012867074

Non-violent teen protestor arrested by the Saudi regime and put on death row for 7 years and finally beheaded.

I wonder why this is not newsworthy for the NATO fake stream media. Gross human rights abuse is OK as long as it is by vassal regimes?

Just like Israel. Our friends can do as they like
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 16 Feb 2021, 20:39:35

Iraq in talks to build storage in China

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Iraq is in advanced talks with state-run Chinese companies to discuss building crude oil storage facilities in China as part a plan to boost oil sales to Asia, Iraq’s oil minister told Reuters.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 21 Feb 2021, 23:46:36

AdamB wrote:Iraq in talks to build storage in China

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Iraq is in advanced talks with state-run Chinese companies to discuss building crude oil storage facilities in China as part a plan to boost oil sales to Asia, Iraq’s oil minister told Reuters.

What are the chances that China could get authorization to connect the Turkish, Russian and Iraqi rail networks to give them an all land route to the fields in Kirkuk?
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby JuanP » Mon 22 Feb 2021, 00:14:58

Subjectivist wrote:
AdamB wrote:Iraq in talks to build storage in China

What are the chances that China could get authorization to connect the Turkish, Russian and Iraqi rail networks to give them an all land route to the fields in Kirkuk?

And also rail and oil and gas pipeline networks from Iraq and Iran through the Stans. One through Pakistan with the China Pakistan Economic Corridor, another through Afghanistan, and a third route through the northern Stans. The obstacles are geopolitical, not technological. I believe impeding this is the main reason while the USA is fighting Iran and occupying Afghanistan. I believe that after the USA leaves the area these countries will find a way to work with each other, in spite of all their problems.
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 03 Mar 2021, 16:58:33

Biden carries out air strikes.

The strike marked the first (of many) overseas military attack ordered by Joe Biden, which in its first weeks has emphasized its intent to put more focus on the challenges posed by China.

Heads up, it is a zerohedge article, so I'm not sure it is news as such.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 06 Mar 2021, 17:06:22

Iran behind blast on Israeli ship.

Israeli Defence Minister Benny Gantz said on Saturday he believes Iran is behind an explosion earlier this week on an Israeli-owned vessel in the Gulf of Oman.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby ralfy » Thu 25 May 2023, 21:00:47

"US post-9/11 wars caused 4.5 million deaths, displaced 38-60 million people, study shows"

Wars the US waged in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Yemen, and Pakistan following September 11, 2001 caused at least 4.5 million deaths and displaced 38 to 60 million people, with 7.6 million children starving today, according to studies by Brown University.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby careinke » Thu 25 May 2023, 23:16:25

ralfy wrote:"US post-9/11 wars caused 4.5 million deaths, displaced 38-60 million people, study shows"

Wars the US waged in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Yemen, and Pakistan following September 11, 2001 caused at least 4.5 million deaths and displaced 38 to 60 million people, with 7.6 million children starving today, according to studies by Brown University.

Yes, but we're Mericans and have the God given right to rule other people's because they are so backwater.

RIGHT ADAM????

PEACE
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 25 May 2023, 23:41:53

careinke wrote:
ralfy wrote:"US post-9/11 wars caused 4.5 million deaths, displaced 38-60 million people, study shows"

Yes, but we're Mericans and have the God given right to rule other people's because they are so backwater.

RIGHT ADAM????

Not quite. We get to do what we want because we mostly can. Other nations aren't required to be backwater any more than we are required to be exceptional. Just the way things worked out mostly.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby ralfy » Fri 04 Aug 2023, 20:08:28

"Iran 1953: MI6 Plots with Islamists to Overthrow Democracy"

https://consortiumnews.com/2023/08/03/i ... democracy/

https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/stat ... 4727537664

Newly available documents show that Israel poisoned Palestinian land in the 1970s in order to force off the indigenous population and build segregated colonial settlements
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Thu 23 Nov 2023, 23:19:36

Palestinians water controlled by Israel

https://youtu.be/bCh043-gLIM
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics