Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Greenland Thread

Re: The Greenland Thread

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 09 Jul 2017, 13:21:48

chilyb wrote:Hi vtsnowedin,

It maybe a problem but it certainly is not my problem.

Fortunately not everyone shares your sentiment!

Understand chilyb, I was born in 1955 and live on land 1750 feet above sea level. It is truly not my problem.
vtsnowedin
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 09 Jul 2017, 17:02:15

kiwichick wrote:@ v .......try looking up the meaning of exponential

To discuss this further.
An exponential growth depends on the ability of the phenomenon to multiply if sufficient resources are available to feed it. A human population or a bacteria colony in a petri dish can double it's numbers over some amount of time and then because it now has twice the members of breeding adults can double again if sufficient food is available in that same amount of time. This does not hold true for a melting glacier. It cares not how much of it melted away last summer as that water is gone and it dose not double the amount of sunlight or warm breezes that the ice is exposed to this summer.
Even with rising average temperatures the distance the glacier has to travel to the sea increases and the elevation of the ground under it eventually rises and there is no prediction of sunlight doubling in intensity even once much less repeatedly and the green house effect from CO2 pollution is linear not exponential.
We may well see great changes over time or at least our grandchildren will, but bikini bathing weather in Alert Canada is not going to happen in our lifetimes.
vtsnowedin
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 09 Jul 2017, 21:11:47

cravat
a short, wide strip of fabric worn by men around the neck and tucked inside an open-necked shirt.
a necktie.

I think you meant caveat.

You haven't heard many scientists speaking about much, I guess.

By the way, Antarctic melt will affect Maine more than Greenland melt will. In fact, Greenland melt may actually help slightly reduce the rate of slr in that part of the world.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 10 Jul 2017, 04:40:20

dohboi wrote:
I think you meant caveat.

Correct. :oops:
vtsnowedin
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby chilyb » Mon 10 Jul 2017, 08:15:38

Hi vtsnowedin,

Understand chilyb, I was born in 1955 and live on land 1750 feet above sea level. It is truly not my problem.

Yes, I am acutely aware of the "I am old so I don't care anymore" syndrome. It's a shame really. The comment about what elevation you reside is also borderline absurd. But no worries, I am fine with skipping over your posts going forward!
chilyb
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 10 Jul 2017, 09:28:37

chilyb wrote:Hi vtsnowedin,....
..... I am fine with skipping over your posts going forward!

Likewise I'm sure.
vtsnowedin
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 10 Jul 2017, 09:35:08

Vt,

You got kids?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 10 Jul 2017, 10:19:24

Newfie wrote:Vt,

You got kids?

Three , grown no grand kids. If and when they come along they may well have a problem but that is beyond what I said. :roll:
vtsnowedin
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 10 Jul 2017, 13:00:49

db: I think you meant caveat.

vt:
Correct

I do kind of like the idea of Professor Alley lecturing in multiple cravats...may help explain his "whiny voice"?? :-D

(vt wrote: "God he has a whinny voice." Some people are more concerned with substance than style, others are so distracted by style that they tend to miss the substance. I had always taken our good vt, whatever his other faults, to be of the former category. But I see now that I was mistaken. :cry: )

We're back to the issue of vt's proud insouciance, much as he hates the word. :-D :-D
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 10 Jul 2017, 13:53:47

vtsnowedin wrote:

You got kids?

Three , grown no grand kids. If and when they come along they may well have a problem but that is beyond what I said. :roll:

Your right, it's their problem not yours. Screw 'em, right? 8O

But I suppose it must be very liberating to not concern yourself with ones off spring. No need to worry about wills or life insurance or any of that balderdash. Ah, to be an island unto ones own self. I suppose the Wife feels likewise towards you?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 10 Jul 2017, 15:44:14

Newfie wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:

You got kids?

But I suppose it must be very liberating to not concern yourself with ones off spring. No need to worry about wills or life insurance or any of that balderdash. Ah, to be an island unto ones own self. I suppose the Wife feels likewise towards you?

You might soften that rather harsh assessment if you consider that I have determined that here is nothing feasible that that can be done that will correct the situation. That being the case further worry and hand wringing will accomplish nothing. Future generations will have to deal with the consequences as they arise and I have already done what I can to assist mine in that regard. Yankee work ethic coupled with education etc.
vtsnowedin
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby chilyb » Mon 10 Jul 2017, 16:25:13

You might soften that rather harsh assessment if you consider that I have determined that here is nothing feasible that that can be done that will correct the situation. That being the case further worry and hand wringing will accomplish nothing. Future generations will have to deal with the consequences as they arise and I have already done what I can to assist mine in that regard. Yankee work ethic coupled with education etc.

that was just face melting.
chilyb
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 10 Jul 2017, 17:51:50

I might soften a harsh assessment?

And "Not my problem" is what? Deep compassion for those afflicted?

So OK, here goes. I get that there is squat all we can do. Maybe the most we can do is to console one another as we try to figure out a way through the bottle neck. Everyone needs a bit of emotional support and leinient assessments now and again.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 11 Jul 2017, 05:10:55

I think getting people to be realistic about the prospects going forward is good for them. It gets them off the "Oh how will we save the world" merry-go-round and lets them start dealing with real practical choices they can make from a well informed position.
vtsnowedin
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 11 Jul 2017, 05:16:43

VT,
Totally agree.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby jawagord » Thu 13 Jul 2017, 08:26:02

Newfie wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:

You got kids?

Which enviro nuts are we to believe have the solution to prevent these future calamities? Apparently to save the future for our offspring from the evils of global warming/climate change we should have less children and stop taking rides in airplanes, everything else is mostly trivial. Taking their future completely away by not having children doesn't seem like concerning yourself for ones offspring?

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/wan ... 261abea049
jawagord
Coal
Coal

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 13 Jul 2017, 08:34:55

jawagord wrote:
Which enviro nuts are we to believe have the solution to prevent these future calamities? Apparently to save the future for our offspring from the evils of global warming/climate change we should have less children and stop taking rides in airplanes, everything else is mostly trivial. Taking their future completely away by not having children doesn't seem like concerning yourself for ones offspring?

Good points.
vtsnowedin
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 13 Jul 2017, 08:52:18

jawagord wrote:
Newfie wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:

You got kids?

Speaking for myself, I have struggled with this question and I can find no good reason to try to talk someone out of having kids. The ones smart enough to listen are the ones most likely to pass the bottle neck. The rest will breed no matter what.

There are many, many things we can do as individuals to lighten our planetary load. If we could only have civil enlightened discourse and strategic planning. But we are human, so we don't. There are no solutions not because of the "environuts" but because we are merely human.

That means it's almost certain we will go through, at best, a tight bottleneck. Knowing that we can plan and prep. But also we can mourn, to prepare our soul for the difficult times ahead.

But I'm always open to new and better ideas.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Fri 14 Jul 2017, 14:09:27

I don't know why you people keep on insisting it's a bottleneck. It's a black hole and no one is coming out the other side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26LYjMww0GY
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 14 Jul 2017, 14:50:18

Cid_Yama wrote:I don't know why you people keep on insisting it's a bottleneck. It's a black hole and no one is coming out the other side.

Humans are innately optimists and can't help but think there must be a way out of every problem.

Optimism is the madness of insisting that all is well....
---Voltaire

"Its a brave new world"
---President Obama, 4/25/16
"Il bel far niente"
---traditional Italian saying
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate