Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Greenland Thread

Re: The Greenland Thread

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 30 Sep 2016, 12:39:24

Just a wee fact, to put the culture shock in perspective.

In Greenland convicted murders are still allowed to hunt, with rifle. They just need to have a guard with them, an unarmed guard.

It may not make sense to us, but it makes sense to them. That is the depth of the cultural divide.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 30 Sep 2016, 12:41:55

How else are they gonna get in their practice for their next murder?? :-D :-D
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 30 Sep 2016, 13:00:57

Tanada wrote:...
.... Is is devastation to turn a bare rock slope into a bare rock hole that will naturally fill and become a moderate size fresh water lake? I am a firm believer of protecting the natural environment, but that does not extend to defending the right of bare rocks to remain bare rocks just because that was how the glaciers left them.

That's a good one. :)
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby litesong » Fri 30 Sep 2016, 13:14:55

Tanada wrote:I am curious what your definition of 'devastation' is?

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=mi ... ajaxhist=0
Last edited by litesong on Fri 30 Sep 2016, 13:36:45, edited 1 time in total.
litesong
permanently banned

Unread postby litesong » Fri 30 Sep 2016, 13:31:05

Asking such silly questions, means you're really behind...... Greenland has little gov't to avoid their quickly arriving future against the drill bits (& lawyers) of international business. Greenland has every potential to be run-over, just like the USSR ran-over countries behind the Iron Curtain after WWII, causing some of the most polluted terrains on the face of the Earth.
litesong
permanently banned

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 30 Sep 2016, 13:35:10

litesong wrote: Greenland has every potential to be run-over, just like the USSR ran-over countries behind the Iron Curtain after WWII, causing some of the most polluted terrains on the face of the Earth.

Apparently you are unaware of Greenland and Denmark being NATO allies with us and the continued existence of the US air base at Thule in far Northwest Greenland.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby litesong » Fri 30 Sep 2016, 13:50:23

vtsnowedin wrote:
litesong wrote: Greenland has every potential to be run-over, just like the USSR ran-over countries behind the Iron Curtain after WWII, causing some of the most polluted terrains on the face of the Earth.

Apparently you are unaware of Greenland and Denmark being NATO allies with us and the continued existence of the US air base at Thule in far Northwest Greenland.

The pollution of Greenland by the U.S. military is coming out like a blitz:
https://weather.com/science/environment ... ion-photos

& this isn't even the radioactive pollution. Rah, rah, rah.... the U.S. military, Greenland & their tiny gov't. Tiny gov't... just like what repubic-lick-uns & business want in the U.S. re-pubic-lick-uns & business find any small gov't a delight to do business with.
litesong
permanently banned

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 30 Sep 2016, 14:32:13

litesong wrote:

Asking such silly questions, means you're really behind...... Greenland has little gov't to avoid their quickly arriving future against the drill bits (& lawyers) of international business. Greenland has every potential to be run-over, just like the USSR ran-over countries behind the Iron Curtain after WWII, causing some of the most polluted terrains on the face of the Earth.

Generic pictures from random locations scattered over 4 continents is your answer to a point blank question? That is not a definition, those are as general as generalities can get. Can mining cause a lot of problems? Yes it can. Does it ALWAYS cause a lot of problems? No it does not. What evidence do you have of pristine beauty and environments in Greenland being disrupted and destroyed by mining IN GREENLAND? Not Australia, or California, or any of those other places cherry picked by anti mining advocates and posted as a melange at the site you linked to.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 30 Sep 2016, 15:07:49

litesong wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:

The pollution of Greenland by the U.S. military is coming out like a blitz:
https://weather.com/science/environment ... ion-photos

& this isn't even the radioactive pollution. Rah, rah, rah.... the U.S. military, Greenland & their tiny gov't. Tiny gov't... just like what repubic-lick-uns & business want in the U.S. re-pubic-lick-uns & business find any small gov't a delight to do business with.

Lets see now 1947? Europe in ruins, Occupation army in Japan, USSR increasing it's strangle hold on Eastern Europe. Civil war ongoing in China with the communists gaining ground. North Korea getting nasty and about to break out into full fledged war. Pick up all the empty oil drums from the Northern most outposts in the world? Sure plenty of time for that. But you go on exercising your write to free speech granted to you by the Constitution and preserved for you by the US armed forces.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 30 Sep 2016, 15:27:41

Whole my information is dated it suggests lite song is correct.

Just a small example, the guy who named Thule (name escapes me) noted upon returning after the base was built how the scrap wood discarded from the base was impacting and changing the local people. They didn't have wood before so it was a windfall to them.

But beyond that most everything I've read other than first contact type accounts note how the local people's have been dramatically and adversely effected.

I personally wish to go to Greenland and have read a bit about it. It is fragile in many ways. Yes rock is Rock Tanda, and I take your point. But there is little to convience me that the locals life will be improved by more outside contact.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby litesong » Fri 30 Sep 2016, 15:45:45

Tanada wrote:
litesong wrote:https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=mineral+pollution+Runoff&view=detailv2&&id=EC89EB81ACF839BC0C29738EFC40DAA37B467C98&selectedIndex=9&ccid=P3QgnJJV&simid=607991869332718998&thid=OIP.M3f74209c92552160e3173ac3c780f3e3o0&ajaxhist=0

Generic pictures from random locations scattered.....

Generically, international businesses do NOT clean their pollution when weak gov'ts are asleep.
litesong
permanently banned

Unread postby kiwichick » Fri 30 Sep 2016, 15:50:26

@ newfie ......I happen to have a few shares in a Australian company developing a mineral resource in Southern Greenland .....and they seem to be doing all the right things to protect the local environment

I would hope that if they do cause any damage they will rectify it.....time will tell
kiwichick
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 30 Sep 2016, 18:52:55

One can never know about the future.

There is the environmental damage which may be rectified.

There is the psychological and cultural damage that can not. What has occurred elsewhere in the Arctic, and I suspect in Oz, is that these subsistence folks way of life gets interrupted and changed by the outside world. They loose there balance and never seem to regain it.

The Eskimos and Indians in Labrador now seem to have the highest suicide and drug use rates in the world despite government efforts. Their territory has shrunk, their way of life gone, their reason to live with it. Or so I have read,n it from a variety of sources from different eras. All with grand new ideas of how to fix things.

How are the Oz and NZ aboriginals doing?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby litesong » Fri 30 Sep 2016, 19:20:51

kiwichick wrote: ...... a few shares in a Australian company developing a mineral resource in Southern Greenland .....I would hope that if they do cause any damage they will rectify it.....time will tell

This old article details some of the "easy" pollution that can occur from mining operations:
http://web.mit.edu/12.000/www/m2016/fin ... ining.html
In the article is this blurb about an Australian company(hope you have no shares), who had plans to pollute in Greenland, even when a stronger country(Denmark) still had jurisdiction:

Greenland Minerals and Energy Ltd, based out of Australia, planned to open a mine in Greenland in 2013. However, the tailings disposal plan involved storing tailings in the Taseq lake, which will cause pollution of not only the lake, but the rivers leading from it and the ocean beyond. Fluorine, heavy metals, and radioactive decay products would all be introduced into the lake by these tailings (Schuler et al, 2011). Due to the lack of environmental regulations from Denmark, the country overseeing the project, plans for the mine continue to move forward, despite the harmful effects it would have on the environment and the surrounding community.
litesong
permanently banned

Unread postby kiwichick » Sat 01 Oct 2016, 04:43:21

@ litesong......GGG is the ASX code where you can read all the relevant information that the company is legally required to advise to the stock market

they certainly were never planning , or even hoping to start mining operations in 2013, and commercial operations have not yet commenced

however they have recently had a major Chinese Rare Earth Minerals company buy a 12.5 % share of the company to assist in the development of the resource in southern Greenland

I am very happy to continue holding shares in the company, and have recently acquired a few more
kiwichick
Fission
Fission

Unread postby litesong » Sat 01 Oct 2016, 14:09:58

Greenland Minerals and Energy Ltd, based out of Australia, planned to open a mine in Greenland in 2013. However, the tailings disposal plan involved storing tailings in the Taseq lake, which will cause pollution of not only the lake, but the rivers leading from it and the ocean beyond. Fluorine, heavy metals, and radioactive decay products would all be introduced into the lake by these tailings (Schuler et al, 2011). Due to the lack of environmental regulations from Denmark, the country overseeing the project, plans for the mine continue to move forward, despite the harmful effects it would have on the environment and the surrounding community.

kiwichick wrote:@ litesong......they certainly were never planning , or even hoping to start mining operations in 2013, and commercial operations have not yet commenced .... they have recently had a major Chinese Rare Earth Minerals company buy a 12.5 % share of the company to assist....I am very happy to continue holding shares in the company, and have recently acquired a few more

Since the communist chinese got part share, I'd advise buy low, sell high & get out. You've already scribbled your support of their future "whatever" in Greenland.
litesong
permanently banned

Unread postby kiwichick » Sat 01 Oct 2016, 14:29:18

@ litesong ....the lake you mention is actually smack in the middle of the resource area and could well disappear during the mining process as the resource covers the entire peninsula at that point

the company is following the required process in regards to environmental protection

re the Chinese connection ....they are a significant player in the rare earth field and their expertise will be a significant advantage.......so I won't be selling any time soon

have a nice day
kiwichick
Fission
Fission

Unread postby litesong » Sat 01 Oct 2016, 15:11:20

kiwichick wrote:@ litesong ....the lake you mention is actually smack in the middle of the resource area and could well disappear during the mining process as the resource covers the entire peninsula at that point..... the company is following the required process..... re the Chinese(should always be small letters) connection ....they are a significant player in the rare earth field and their expertise will be a significant advantage.......so I won't be selling any time soon...

Ah..... the company plans to wipe a lake & replace it with pollution. The "resource area" (to be raped) is on a peninsula.... so pollution runnoff to the sea is available in many directions. Thank you for that heads up.
"the company is following process"...... set forth by a small gov't without the ability to ascertain future environmental damage. Thank you for that heads up.

"communist chinese" (always small letters) continue their plans for world domination after murdering torturing & starving to death 100 million of their own BROTHERS SISTERS CHILDREN & BABIES, circling the yoke of tyranny around those Chinese Citizens not killed. You do business with dictators that show themselves to be twice as bad as Hitler & Stalin combined. Thank you that heads up.
litesong
permanently banned

Unread postby kiwichick » Sat 01 Oct 2016, 18:43:20

@ litesong.....glad to be of assistance......have a nice day!!!!!!
kiwichick
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 02 Oct 2016, 08:54:56

Anyone know what the Petermann Ice Shelf did this summer? I searched Google news and didn't find much aside from the CBS article from last winter.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Fission
Fission

PreviousNext

Return to Environment