Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Greenland Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: 2013 Arctic Sea Ice

Unread postby Laromi » Sun 16 Jun 2013, 01:27:01

It will seem like only yesterday and all those Greenland folk will be back into viticulture and cavorting in paddocks green AGAIN. 8)
Laromi
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dorlomin » Sun 16 Jun 2013, 05:35:50

Laromi wrote:It will seem like only yesterday and all those Greenland folk will be back into viticulture and cavorting in paddocks green AGAIN. 8)
Are you drunk? Because you are not making any sense.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Laromi » Sun 16 Jun 2013, 10:08:17

dorlomin wrote:
Laromi wrote:It will seem like only yesterday and all those Greenland folk will be back into viticulture and cavorting in paddocks green AGAIN. 8)

Just grabbed the closest reference on agronomy, Iron age (1500 B.C. onwards) - The Little Ice age (1450 A.D.–1870 A.D.): Beginning about 1450 A.D. is a marked return to colder conditions, often called. ‘The Little Ice Age’, a term used to describe an epoch of renewed glacial advance. Glaciers advanced in Europe, Asia and North America, whilst sea ice in the North Atlantic expanded with detrimental effects for the colonies of Greenland and Iceland.
Ref:A textbook of Agronomy Copyright © 2010, New Age International (P) Ltd., Publishers. B. Chandrasekaran, B.Sc., M.Sc. (Ag.), Ph.D. Director of Research Tamil Nadu Agricultural University Coimbatore. K. Annadurai, B.Sc., M.Sc. (Ag.), Ph.D. Associate Professor of Agronomy Agricultural Engineering College and Research Institute, Kumulur Tamil Nadu Agricultural University. E. Somasundaram, B.Sc., M.Sc. (Ag.), Ph.D. Associate Professor of Agronomy Agricultural Research Station Aliyarnagar, Tamil Nadu.

The point I am making is perhaps we are heading back to the future when Greenland was an arable country, rather than a perpetual winter wilderness. Grapes, as I remember, were believed to have grown there, ergo the green paddocks. A light hearted look at GW. :)
Laromi
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Lore » Sun 16 Jun 2013, 10:33:05

Laromi wrote:
dorlomin wrote:

Just grabbed the closest reference on agronomy, Iron age (1500 B.C. onwards) - The Little Ice age (1450 A.D.–1870 A.D.): Beginning about 1450 A.D. is a marked return to colder conditions, often called. ‘The Little Ice Age’, a term used to describe an epoch of renewed glacial advance. Glaciers advanced in Europe, Asia and North America, whilst sea ice in the North Atlantic expanded with detrimental effects for the colonies of Greenland and Iceland.
Ref:A textbook of Agronomy Copyright © 2010, New Age International (P) Ltd., Publishers. B. Chandrasekaran, B.Sc., M.Sc. (Ag.), Ph.D. Director of Research Tamil Nadu Agricultural University Coimbatore. K. Annadurai, B.Sc., M.Sc. (Ag.), Ph.D. Associate Professor of Agronomy Agricultural Engineering College and Research Institute, Kumulur Tamil Nadu Agricultural University. E. Somasundaram, B.Sc., M.Sc. (Ag.), Ph.D. Associate Professor of Agronomy Agricultural Research Station Aliyarnagar, Tamil Nadu.

The point I am making is perhaps we are heading back to the future when Greenland was an arable country, rather than a perpetual winter wilderness. Grapes, as I remember, were believed to have grown there, ergo the green paddocks. A light hearted look at GW. :)

If you do a little more research you'll find that Greeland was never that hospitable to general agricultural crops in all of human history. The Greenland ice sheet has existed for at least 400,000 years. The fact that the ice is now rapidly disappearing should greatly worry us.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Laromi » Sun 16 Jun 2013, 11:17:16

Lore wrote:
Laromi wrote:
dorlomin wrote:
If you do a little more research you'll find that Greeland was never that hospitable to general agricultural crops in all of human history. The Greenland ice sheet has existed for at least 400,000 years. The fact that the ice is now rapidly disappearing should greatly worry us.

Ancient Norse settlements. (Source: Bryson, 1977)

"The Greenland Vikings lived mostly on dairy produce and meat, primarily from cows. The vegetable diet of Greenlanders included berries, edible grasses, and seaweed, but these were inadequate even during the best harvests. During the MWP, Greenland's climate was so cold that cattle breeding and dairy farming could only be carried on in the sheltered fiords. The growing season in Greenland even then was very short. Frost typically occurred in August and the fiords froze in October. Before the year 1300, ships regularly sailed from Norway and other European countries to Greenland bringing with them timber, iron, corn, salt, and other needed items. Trade was by barter. Greenlanders offered butter, cheese, wool, and their frieze cloths, which were greatly sough after in Europe, as well as white and blue fox furs, polar bear skins, walrus and narwhal tusks, and walrus skins. In fact, two Greenland items in particular were prized by Europeans: white bears and the white falcon. These items were given as royal gifts. For instance, the King of Norway-Denmark sent a number of Greenland falcons as a gift to the King of Portugal, and received in return the gift of a cargo of wine (Stefansson, 1966.) Because of the shortage of adequate vegetables and cereal grains, and a shortage of timber to make ships, the trade link to Iceland and Europe was vital (Hermann, 1954.)"

"In 960, Thorvald Asvaldsson of Jaederen in Norway killed a man. He was forced to leave the country so he moved to northern Iceland. He had a ten year old son named Eric, later to be called Eric Röde, or Eric the Red. Eric too had a violent streak and in 982 he killed two men. Eric the Red was banished from Iceland for three years so he sailed west to find a land that Icelanders had discovered years before but knew little about. Eric searched the coast of this land and found the most hospitable area, a deep fiord on the southwestern coast. Warmer Atlantic currents met the island there and conditions were not much different than those in Iceland (trees and grasses.) He called this new land "Greenland" because he "believed more people would go thither if the country had a beautiful name," according to one of the Icelandic chronicles (Hermann, 1954) although Greenland, as a whole, could not be considered "green." Additionally, the land was not very good for farming. Nevertheless, Eric was able to draw thousands to the the area."

As I said it was a light hearted look at GW. I have done a little prior research on Greenland and Iceland FYI, but I do take your point on agriculture. :-D
Laromi
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Lore » Sun 16 Jun 2013, 11:27:13

And we're seeing ancient ice melt there that predates Norse settlements.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Laromi » Sun 16 Jun 2013, 11:31:46

Lore wrote:And we're seeing ancient ice melt there that predates Norse settlements.

Which really only goes to prove GW is episodic, does it not?
Laromi
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dorlomin » Sun 16 Jun 2013, 11:41:20

Laromi wrote: Grapes, as I remember, were believed to have grown there,
Utter, utter, utter bilge. :-D

Grapes cannot grow below about 15C. So the UK is about as far north as it gets, yet the UK does not even have a single glacier many hundeds of miles to the north and over 1km above where grapes are grown.

You are trying to tell us that southern Greenland had UK style summers but still icesheets?

Your ability to think through a problem is abysmal. Yet that very lack of any intellectual skill no doubt leads you to a supreme confidence in your wacky theories.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Lore » Sun 16 Jun 2013, 11:43:03

Laromi wrote:
Lore wrote:And we're seeing ancient ice melt there that predates Norse settlements.

The evidence points to rapid melting due to climate change. Primarily driven by anthropogenic causes. Changes in climate always have a reason and are not necessarily cyclical in nature.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Laromi » Sun 16 Jun 2013, 11:51:27

dorlomin wrote:
Laromi wrote: Grapes, as I remember, were believed to have grown there,
Utter, utter, utter bilge. :-D

Grapes cannot grow below about 15C. So the UK is about as far north as it gets, yet the UK does not even have a single glacier many hundeds of miles to the north and over 1km above where grapes are grown.

You are trying to tell us that southern Greenland had UK style summers but still icesheets?

Your ability to think through a problem is abysmal. Yet that very lack of any intellectual skill no doubt leads you to a supreme confidence in your wacky theories.

dorlomin, it appears you have poor skills in comprehension and a sharp tongue. Go back and READ not LOOK at what I wrote!
Laromi
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dissident » Sun 16 Jun 2013, 11:55:15

This is funny, some ancient myths about "green" Greenland are taken seriously, while modern physics and observations are dismissed as hoaxes. The "green" Greenland BS reminds me of the nonsense fed to settlers in the late 1800s in Ontario who were told snow fertilizes the soil as they were directed to good-for-nothing (in the agricultural sense) real-estate such as Muskoka. Similar propaganda was fed lemmings back in the days of Erik the Red: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_the_Red. This not about science but about money.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Lore » Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:02:37

It's an old denier meme that never seems to die...

The Greenland ice sheet is at least 400,000 to 800,000 years old. Certainly it was alive and well when the island was named around 1000 years ago. So where did the Green in Greenland come from? According to Wikipedia, legend has it was good marketing on the part of Erik the Red who figured it would attract more settlers (if he was more vain, it may have been called Redland). Or perhaps its a derivation of Engronelant or Gruntland. The main point is while the ice sheet has always been there, Greenland probably was somewhat warmer during the Medieval Period and part of Greenland was green.

http://skepticalscience.com/greenland-u ... -green.htm
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Laromi » Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:24:08

Lore wrote:
Laromi wrote:

The evidence points to rapid melting due to climate change. Primarily driven by anthropogenic causes. Changes in climate always have a reason and are not necessarily cyclical in nature.

Lore, you wrote, "And we're seeing ancient ice melt there that predates Norse settlements", also "The Greenland ice sheet has existed for at least 400,000 years. Are you saying there has been no change to the Greenland ice sheet until the last 100 years or so and none before 400.000 years ago?

And, "The fact that the ice is now rapidly disappearing should greatly worry us," also "...rapid melting due to climate change. Primarily driven by anthropogenic causes. It's a bit hard to prove, but that an ice shift 400.000 years ago was due to or by anthropogenic causes? That's a pretty big claim. But then, since the earth has been around for what? since precambrian times, 4.600 mya who knows? Geologists?

Lore you are looking at what I said and putting your own spin on it, please read. I did not say "cyclical" I said episodic, there is a difference.
Laromi
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Laromi » Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:40:38

Lore wrote:It's an old denier meme that never seems to die...

The Greenland ice sheet is at least 400,000 to 800,000 years old. Certainly it was alive and well when the island was named around 1000 years ago. So where did the Green in Greenland come from? According to Wikipedia, legend has it was good marketing on the part of Erik the Red who figured it would attract more settlers (if he was more vain, it may have been called Redland). Or perhaps its a derivation of Engronelant or Gruntland. The main point is while the ice sheet has always been there, Greenland probably was somewhat warmer during the Medieval Period and part of Greenland was green.

http://skepticalscience.com/greenland-u ... -green.htm

Lore, I would take that argument, in which you claim I quoted Wikipedia, up with Scott A. Mandia. Scott A. Mandia is the authority from which I quoted:

Scott A. Mandia
Professor - Physical Sciences
T-202 Smithtown Sciences Bldg.
S.C.C.C.
533 College Rd.
Selden, NY 11784
(631) 451-4104
[email protected]
http://www2.sunysuffolk.edu/mandias/
Laromi
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Laromi » Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:46:37

dissident wrote:This is funny, some ancient myths about "green" Greenland are taken seriously, while modern physics and observations are dismissed as hoaxes. The "green" Greenland BS reminds me of the nonsense fed to settlers in the late 1800s in Ontario who were told snow fertilizes the soil as they were directed to good-for-nothing (in the agricultural sense) real-estate such as Muskoka. Similar propaganda was fed lemmings back in the days of Erik the Red: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_the_Red. This not about science but about money.

dissident, "... not about science but about money." until proven different, I wholeheartedly agree with you on that point.
Laromi
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dorlomin » Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:49:00

Laromi wrote:dorlomin, it appears you have poor skills in comprehension

I don't. You are just a clown.

You have even admitted your contributions to this thread are merely clowning around.
As I said it was a light hearted

Grapes in Greenland tells me everything I need to know about your knowledge, but you will insist on inflicting this thread with that painful lack of knowledge.

This is a thread for sober and sensible discussions.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Laromi » Sun 16 Jun 2013, 13:36:10

dorlomin wrote:
Laromi wrote:dorlomin, it appears you have poor skills in comprehension

I don't. You are just a clown.

You have even admitted your contributions to this thread are merely clowning around.
As I said it was a light hearted

Grapes in Greenland tells me everything I need to know about your knowledge, but you will insist on inflicting this thread with that painful lack of knowledge.

Please parse the following sentence; that is if you know how to do so. Elsewise have someone assist you in the task. "Grapes, as I remember, were believed to have grown there, ergo the green paddocks". (As to the authority of the premise of grapes having grown in Greenland, I shall attempt to rediscover the author and circumstances under which the author came to that conclusion.)

You have even admitted your contributions to this thread are merely clowning around

dorlomin, what I wrote was, "It will seem like only yesterday and all those Greenland folk will be back into viticulture and cavorting in paddocks green AGAIN". that is one contribution. So, how you can say,
You have even admitted your contributions to this thread are merely clowning around
and not pretend you are not an amateur spin doctor?

then play your part in responsible discussion, not spin.

"it appears you have poor skills in comprehension"
I don't.
Then demonstrate it, you haven't convinced me to the contrary.

You are just a clown.
If you only knew the effort to be a clown. But since I am only just a clown, further tuition appears warranted.
Laromi
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dorlomin » Sun 16 Jun 2013, 14:07:17

Elsewise
Oh dear.

Anyway.
I suggest you start here

Then read this.

So you have a minimum level of knowledge to enter the conversation.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Laromi » Mon 17 Jun 2013, 03:48:07

:cry:
dorlomin wrote:
Elsewise
Oh dear.

Anyway.
I suggest you start here

Then read this.

So you have a minimum level of knowledge to enter the conversation.

Wikipedia is your source of information?

From Wikipedia on reliability of information: The library at Trent University in Ontario states of Wikipedia that many articles are "long and comprehensive", but that there is "a lot of room for misinformation and bias [and] a lot of variability in both the quality and depth of articles." It adds that Wikipedia has advantages and limitations, that it has "excellent coverage of technical topics" and articles are "often added quickly and, as a result, coverage of current events is quite good", comparing this to traditional sources which are unable to achieve this task.

It concludes that, depending upon the need, one should think critically and assess the appropriateness of one's sources, "whether you are looking for fact or opinion, how in-depth you want to be as you explore a topic, the importance of reliability and accuracy, and the importance of timely or recent information", and adds that Wikipedia can be used in any event as a "starting point."[49], and also;

Librarian views
In a 2004 interview with The Guardian, self-described information specialist and Internet consultant[45] Philip Bradley said that he would not use Wikipedia and was "not aware of a single librarian who would. The main problem is the lack of authority. With printed publications, the publishers have to ensure that their data are reliable, as their livelihood depends on it. But with something like this (Wikipedia), all that goes out the window."[46]

Wicki is your source of reference? Ha, then would be so good as to please comment on these quotes from Wiki and probable outcome as you imply to be so knowledgeable on AGW and climatology in general;
An often-cited 1980 study by Imbrie and Imbrie determined that, "Ignoring anthropogenic and other possible sources of variation acting at frequencies higher than one cycle per 19,000 years, this model predicts that the long-term cooling trend that began some 6,000 years ago will continue for the next 23,000 years."[19];

More recent work by Berger and Loutre suggests that the current warm climate may last another 50,000 years.[20]
, oh dear. Both references virtually within the same paragraph.

Thanks but no thanks for your suggestion, been there done that, I suggest you visit the following with your AGW hat in hand:

http://endofgw.blogspot.com/
http://climatechange90.blogspot.com/201 ... -been.html , and of course, http://theclimatescepticsparty.blogspot ... 1268058537. or
http://www.drroyspencer.com/2013/01/was ... ment-68988

An interesting shelf reference book you may not want to read: Who Turned on the Heat – The Unsuspected Global Warming Culprit, El Niño-Southern Oscillation” written by Bob Tisdale. It explains stuff really easy for kids.

You do know the difference between GW and AGW don't you? :cry:
Laromi
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dorlomin » Mon 17 Jun 2013, 04:27:11

Laromi wrote:Wikipedia is your source of information?
No.

Its where you could start to learn a little so as not to make a fool of yourself and keep dragging this thread off topic with your attention seeking.

You do know the difference between GW and AGW
There is a thread for conspiracy theories, cranks and other fools here.

This thread is for discussing what is happening in the Arctic.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion