Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Goldman Sachs Thread (merged)

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: I'm doing 'God's work'.Goldman Sachs

Unread postby JJ » Wed 11 Nov 2009, 13:20:37

Maddog78 wrote:I thought I misunderstood him at first, due to his strong accent when speaking English but I asked some of the other guys later on and they confirmed, that is what he said.
I've also been on jobs where goats were slaughtered on the rig floor.
That had mixed results, some dusters and some hits. :-D

my brother-in-law bought a new flat bed for hauling (illegal) logs in the Philippines and slaughtered a pig over the engine. The truck later fell through a bridge.
JJ
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Maddog78 » Wed 11 Nov 2009, 13:34:19

JJ wrote:
Maddog78 wrote:I thought I misunderstood him at first, due to his strong accent when speaking English but I asked some of the other guys later on and they confirmed, that is what he said.
I've also been on jobs where goats were slaughtered on the rig floor.
That had mixed results, some dusters and some hits. :-D

my brother-in-law bought a new flat bed for hauling (illegal) logs in the Philippines and slaughtered a pig over the engine. The truck later fell through a bridge.

:lol:
Sounds like the pig trick worked about as well as the bishop's holy water
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby turner » Thu 12 Nov 2009, 00:20:51

Perhaps the Philipinas and Golden Sachs are onto something...

Was chatting with a Philipina lady I know last week who told me that she was changing churches. When I inquired about the reason for the move she explained that more of her prayers were answered when she volunteered at one church over the other. I suggested to her that there was only one god and it shouldn't matter where you worship to which she agreed. However, she then went on to explain the correlation between prayers answered and collection plate duties at the new church vrs the meagre prayer results when she does reception duties at the other!
turner
Peat
Peat

Unread postby seldom_seen » Thu 12 Nov 2009, 02:06:52

It's as if Lloyd Blankfein wasn't satisfied just looting the US treasury. That wasn't enough. There had to be some taunting, rubbing our faces in it.

Sort of like when Saddam Hussein's henchmen would shoot somebody and then make the victim's family pay for the bullet.
But how the world turns. One day, cock of the walk. Next, a feather duster.
seldom_seen
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

GoldmanSachs Bankers Loading Up On Firearms

Unread postby deMolay » Tue 01 Dec 2009, 20:22:17

For this to happen a couple of comments. They must have intel that things are not going to get better. They must expect things to get really bad. http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... D2WoDAL9h0
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: GoldmanSachs Bankers Loading Up On Firearms

Unread postby Ludi » Tue 01 Dec 2009, 20:36:56

Everyone is buying guns these days.

Maybe they're worried Obama will enforce gun control legislation?
Ludi

Unread postby deMolay » Tue 01 Dec 2009, 20:40:21

Ludi I like your Jacobs sheep.
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby americandream » Tue 01 Dec 2009, 20:43:38

I guess its nerve wracking hosting all those poolside parties, whoops, I mean networking, whilst the peons are reduced to gazing through the fence.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby dinopello » Tue 01 Dec 2009, 20:46:18

For pete's sake, I hope they are also signing up for firearm safety courses and practicing at the range. Nothing worse than a freaked-out incompetent banker wielding a semi-auto (without proper training).
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Do or Die For the Vampire Squid

Unread postby deMolay » Tue 01 Dec 2009, 21:28:34

Boy these guys are sarcastic and not to respectful of GoldmanSachs. Or sweet little "Becky" from CNBC. http://www.zerohedge.com/article/it-do- ... pire-squid
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Novus » Tue 01 Dec 2009, 22:30:10

deMolay wrote:For this to happen a couple of comments. They must have intel that things are not going to get better. They must expect things to get really bad. http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... D2WoDAL9h0

What do you mean "have intel" things are not getting better? More like anyone who is not a stupid blind sheep knows things are not getting better.
Novus
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Dreamtwister » Wed 02 Dec 2009, 01:48:00

Ludi wrote:Maybe they're worried Obama will enforce gun control legislation?

I doubt it. I imagine they are more worried about bus tours of their homes, like the ones Conneticut Working Families gave for those nice guys over at AIG back in march.
The whole of human history is a refutation by experiment of the concept of "moral world order". - Friedrich Nietzsche
Dreamtwister
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Reverse Racism and the Stimulous Package

Unread postby AlexdeLarge » Fri 04 Dec 2009, 23:14:20

Reverse Racism and the Big Obama Con Job
http://whiskeyandgunpowder.com/reverse-racism-and-the-big-obama-con-job/

Did you see the announcement of a week ago that Goldman Sachs is giving a half billion dollars to small businesses. Or are they? Why are they suddenly concerned with small business? They’ve certainly never cared about small business before. In the history of Goldman Sachs, what have they ever given to small business? The answer of course is nothing. Why the sudden interest? Could it be because Goldman Sachs has found out that it pays to play ball with President Obama? Could it be because if you do favors for Obama and his friends, you wind up with big bailouts, giant stimulus funds, government contracts…or perhaps avoid prosecution for any alleged crimes or fraud committed in the sub-prime mortgage scandal?

In any case, Goldman Sachs’ announcement was certainly less than honest in its wording. If you read the headline you’d think that Goldman is a hero to America’s small businesses. But the reality (beneath the headline) is that Goldman Sachs is only concerned with one tiny segment of small business — MINORITY-OWNED SMALL BUSINESSES. More specifically — minority businesses located in minority neighborhoods. Even more specifically, Goldman’s loans to minority businesses located in minority neighborhoods will only be disbursed through “community organizations.” Organizations that I’m willing to bet are run by contributors to Obama’s campaigns. Just a guess on my part. Anyone wanna bet?
Viddy well, little brother. Viddy well.
AlexdeLarge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Reverse Racism and the Stimulous Package

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 05 Dec 2009, 00:23:56

Most likely Alex. But it's not reverse racism it's just racism. Racist pork barrelling to be precise.
Do Americans use that term?
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Goldman on peak oil

Unread postby gt1370a » Sat 23 Jan 2010, 19:03:39

Check out this Goldman piece talking about why peak oil is not a concern. First, they make the typical mistake of confusing reserves with production, stating that reserves still represent 40 years of demand (when we all know that reserves could go to infinity but if production rates drop even 10% there will be problems). Then, their table of oil discoveries in the past 10 years, which supposedly demonstrates how much oil we are still finding, only represents less than 2 years worth of global consumption.

Some interesting stuff about gold and other things in that article as well.
gt1370a
Coal
Coal

Re: Goldman on peak oil

Unread postby Revi » Sat 23 Jan 2010, 22:40:20

I don't think goldman cares about peak oil, but the inflation/deflation argument is a good one.

I think we'll see inflation in the stuff we have to buy every day, while real estate will continue to fall in value.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Jotapay » Sat 23 Jan 2010, 23:04:58

This is the company that sold mortgage backed securities to its customers and then shorted them. This is also the company that drove up the price of oil with speculation, saying at $100 it would go to %10, then at $150 saying it would go to $250.

If you believe anything this paper says, I would like to have the opportunity to steal your money too.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby shortonsense » Sat 23 Jan 2010, 23:27:09

gt1370a wrote:Check out this Goldman piece talking about why peak oil is not a concern. First, they make the typical mistake of confusing reserves with production, stating that reserves still represent 40 years of demand (when we all know that reserves could go to infinity but if production rates drop even 10% there will be problems). Then, their table of oil discoveries in the past 10 years, which supposedly demonstrates how much oil we are still finding, only represents less than 2 years worth of global consumption.

Some interesting stuff about gold and other things in that article as well.

Have they mentioned the new 15 years of supply which has been laying around and just got noticed on Friday?

http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2009/3028/
shortonsense
Permanently Banned

Unread postby gt1370a » Sun 24 Jan 2010, 12:09:55

Jotapay wrote:This is the company that sold mortgage backed securities to its customers and then shorted them. This is also the company that drove up the price of oil with speculation, saying at $100 it would go to %10, then at $150 saying it would go to $250.

If you believe anything this paper says, I would like to have the opportunity to steal your money too.

Yeah, these are also the guys who wrote the "Superspike" report back in 2005, was that disinformation too?

Anyway, your point is taken - either they made some real rookie mistakes in their analysis (unlikely) or it is a head-fake.
gt1370a
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Jotapay » Sun 24 Jan 2010, 13:38:32

I'm not saying it's a head fake. You just can't trust them to tell the truth.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Economics & Finance