Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Global Population Thread Pt. 4

Re: THE Global Population Thread Pt. 4

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 23 Apr 2017, 11:43:00

I'm not sure I follow that last part, but there are certainly plenty of reasons to think that tensions are going to increase, as we have already seen them do.

Meanwhile, it turns out that social stratification all by itself can prompt collapse,even if ecological collapse wasn't a factor, according to this study, anyway. (Apologies if this has already been linked)

The linked article, entitled "How Western Civilization Could Collapse," discusses how the appetite of the economic elites to hoard resources, not only damages the environment, but also stratifies our socio-economic fabric; both of which appear to be on track to lead to a collapse of Western Civilization in the 2050-2060 timeframe. As this timeframe comes after the 2045 date for Ray Kurzweil's 'Technological Singularity', I attach an image from The Matrix of what the Machine City looks like after the Machine Wars.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2017041 ... d-collapse

Safa Motesharrei, a systems scientist at the University of Maryland, uses computer models to gain a deeper understanding of the mechanisms that can lead to local or global sustainability or collapse. According to findings that Motesharrei and his colleagues published in 2014, there are two factors that matter: ecological strain and economic stratification. The ecological category is the more widely understood and recognised path to potential doom, especially in terms of depletion of natural resources such as groundwater, soil, fisheries and forests – all of which could be worsened by climate change.

That economic stratification may lead to collapse on its own, on the other hand, came as more of a surprise to Motesharrei and his colleagues.

Under this scenario, elites push society toward instability and eventual collapse by hoarding huge quantities of wealth and resources, and leaving little or none for commoners who vastly outnumber them yet support them with labour. Eventually, the working population crashes because the portion of wealth allocated to them is not enough, followed by collapse of the elites due to the absence of labour.

“The world will not rise to the occasion of solving the climate problem during this century, simply because it is more expensive in the short term to solve the problem than it is to just keep acting as usual,” says Jorgen Randers, a professor emeritus of climate strategy at the BI Norwegian Business School, and author of 2052: A Global Forecast for the Next Forty Years. “The climate problem will get worse and worse and worse because we won’t be able to live up to what we’ve promised to do in the Paris Agreement and elsewhere"...

(Thanks, as often, to ASLR at neven's site for link and text.)

I suppose that if automation goes far enough, the elites may be able to get by with a lot less labor from the hoi poloi (the rest of us)?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 23 Apr 2017, 15:28:22

I'm still trying to figure out how many people we need.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ul-ehrlich

"How many you support depends on lifestyles. We came up with 1.5 to 2 billion because you can have big active cities and wilderness. If you want a battery chicken world where everyone has minimum space and food and everyone is kept just about alive you might be able to support in the long term about 4 or 5 billion people. But you already have 7 billion. So we have to humanely and as rapidly as possible move to population shrinkage."
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 26 Apr 2017, 23:40:05

This is relevant to the thread just in the sense of understanding the timing of the population of the species Homo around the world, and because it is a pretty damn amazing finding, if it holds up to further scrutiny:

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature2 ... www.cbc.ca

Evidence of the species Homo in the Americas (San Diego, to be exact) going back somewhere between 120 and 140 thousand years before present!!
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 07:37:34

Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Ibon » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 08:57:10

Tanada wrote:Congratulations!

http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

Kudzu Ape rules..........................for a little while longer :)
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 30 Apr 2017, 19:00:21

18221563_10155264950529371_8835866568386935388_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby sparky » Sun 30 Apr 2017, 20:07:40

concentrating the population in a restricted space is called cities
it has happened , is happening now even more , each minute
the human world is now an urban thing , more than half of the world people live in cities ,
more and more of the world people live in mega cities

Cog is right to mention this trend , not as a real thing but as an end point ad absurd
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 30 Apr 2017, 20:50:03

We gather in one place to die collectively.

Most of us anyway.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 30 Apr 2017, 21:00:22

Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 30 Apr 2017, 21:29:49

Anyone here remember die off.org

Just looked at it again, first time in a very loooong time.

Here is a synopsis of the behavioral loop described above:

Step 1. Individuals and groups evolved a bias to maximize fitness by maximizing power, which requires over-reproduction and/or over-consumption of natural resources (overshoot), whenever systemic constraints allow it. Differential power generation and accumulation result in a hierarchical group structure.

Step 2. Energy is always limited, and overshoot eventually leads to decreasing power available to some members of the group, with lower-ranking members suffering first.

Step 3. Diminishing power availability creates divisive subgroups within the original group. Low-rank members will form subgroups and coalitions to demand a greater share of power from higher-ranking individuals, who will resist by forming their own coalitions to maintain power.

Step 4. Violent social strife eventually occurs among subgroups who demand a greater share of the remaining power.

Step 5. The weakest subgroups (high or low rank) are either forced to disperse to a new territory, are killed, enslaved, or imprisoned.

Step 6. Go back to step 1.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 01 May 2017, 02:17:33

Newf, isn't that Power Principle dynamics.?
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 01 May 2017, 08:35:46

Don't know. Tried to Google it and got a ice range of stuff including a movi. Can't wade through it right now.

But....it sounds to me like we are entering stage 3 now.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 01 May 2017, 09:53:57

I took the effort to go back to the previous segment and see when I had made my prediction,

Re: THE Global Population Thread Pt. 3

Post by Tanada » Sat 25 Mar 2017, 09:56:57
At the current growth rate this number will reach 7.5 Billion before May 1, 2017.

Current population estimate as I type this 7,493,191,030

Now that it is May 1, 2017 the world meter I use reads 7,501,563,166

That is an increase of over 8 million in 6 weeks. Edited to add, current projections are we will achieve 8 Billion in the third week of August, 2023. Most of the folks who hang around this website will still be alive when that date arrives, barring some catastrophic world altering event. Counting on my fingers I barely need to use two hands to get that many years in the future. The idea that we will add another half a billion souls to this world in just six years is rather stunning if you think about it for long. That means about twice as many babies will be born in the next six years as the entire living population of the USA today. If the death rate were lower the number would be even higher, but the WW II generation still has a few members around and the 1950's generation is just entering the prime death from old age zone. In 2023 a 73 year old person will have been born in 1950. IOW the USA Baby Boom generation will be entering the rapid reduction phase. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your POV the American Baby Boom was not even close to the end of baby booms, India began theirs with the 'Green Revolution' of the 1970's as did Mexico and many other countries where food availability was the controlling variable in population growth.
Last edited by Tanada on Mon 01 May 2017, 10:12:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: hit submit prematurely
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 01 May 2017, 10:18:16

This is the exponential function and population momentum in action. Astonishing
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 01 May 2017, 17:12:09

Yes, astonishing.

But it should not be.

Math should not be astonishing.

Al had it figured out well enough.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Mon 01 May 2017, 17:26:47

The earth can support 7.5 billion people. I don't see the problem here.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby kiwichick » Mon 01 May 2017, 17:30:47

@ cog......really?........got a link to that??
kiwichick
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 01 May 2017, 20:06:54

Kiwi,

Sure Cog is right. The world CAN support 7.5'million people, for some short period of time.

But COG is a man of today, tomorrow is of no consequence to him. Tomorrow will work out according to Gods plan,so all will work out just fine.

And if 80% of all folks perish then that was inevitable and of no personal concern.

I reality how different is he from most? Other than he just enjoys aggitating.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Mon 01 May 2017, 22:54:33

I'm making an observation Newfie. An observation that you find agitating. But its a true observation. No I don't care how many people the earth can support and for how long. The reason I don't care is because I'm not a planetary engineer as most people are here. I don't desire to become a dictator to decide who lives and who dies like people here do. But when it comes right down to it, I have no desire to play God.

I am content to let things play out however they play out. I know you might find this difficult to believe, but its a matter of complete indifference to me whether 7 billion people die tomorrow or if 9 billion people occupy the earth ten years from now.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby efarmer » Mon 01 May 2017, 23:39:25

Cog, I get the notion that none of us here really know the answers for all of these
hard questions and issues we debate. I would elaborate, but I just realized
that I forgot to hide my icecream sandwich behind the waffles in the freezer this morning
and the kid is probably going to eat it before I get home if I stay on here longer.
You may tell me you don't like icecream sandwiches, and that is your right to do so.
If this turns out to be the case, may I have your icecream sandwich?
efarmer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate