Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Global Cooling Thread Pt. 2(merged)

Re: THE Global Cooling Thread Pt. 2(merged)

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 04 Nov 2013, 16:05:24

dohboi wrote:"Once the system reaches equilibrium"

What's your best estimate at this point as to when that will be and how much hotter the world will be than in pre-industrial times whenever that equilibrium is reached?

Until we stop adding CO2 and other GHG to the atmosphere that is a moving target. If we had a super plague that killed 90% of humanity before January 2014 then we would probably top out about 2.5C above the pre-industrial era. If we keep burning FF as fast as we can as long as we can until climate change crashes our population then we will hit 4C or perhaps even 6C before we top out for whomever is still alive to care. Our last Climate warning will be when the Northern Hemisphere tips over into the Hothouse while the Southern Hemisphere remains in an ice age interglacial climate. If that doesn't get us to stop then only a mass disaster cutting our population will.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ritter » Tue 05 Nov 2013, 14:45:59

Tanada wrote:
dohboi wrote:"Once the system reaches equilibrium"

What's your best estimate at this point as to when that will be and how much hotter the world will be than in pre-industrial times whenever that equilibrium is reached?

Until we stop adding CO2 and other GHG to the atmosphere that is a moving target. If we had a super plague that killed 90% of humanity before January 2014 then we would probably top out about 2.5C above the pre-industrial era. If we keep burning FF as fast as we can as long as we can until climate change crashes our population then we will hit 4C or perhaps even 6C before we top out for whomever is still alive to care. Our last Climate warning will be when the Northern Hemisphere tips over into the Hothouse while the Southern Hemisphere remains in an ice age interglacial climate. If that doesn't get us to stop then only a mass disaster cutting our population will.

So 4-6C it is! Unsurvivable for most species on Earth. How fun.
ritter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Lore » Tue 05 Nov 2013, 18:51:04

Actually, all living things on this planet would be better off if we have a super plague.

Here we sit around worrying about P.O. and AGW and wham, out of no where, the planet gets hit with a gamma-ray burst.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby ritter » Wed 06 Nov 2013, 12:42:35

Lore wrote:Actually, all living things on this planet would be better off if we have a super plague.

Here we sit around worrying about P.O. and AGW and wham, out of no where, the planet gets hit with a gamma-ray burst.

Some things are outside of our control and thus should not be worried about. PO and AGW certainly were not two of those things. Again, I submit that we've shit the bed. :)
ritter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Lore » Wed 06 Nov 2013, 13:55:00

ritter wrote:
Lore wrote:Actually, all living things on this planet would be better off if we have a super plague.

Some things are outside of our control and thus should not be worried about. PO and AGW certainly were not two of those things. Again, I submit that we've shit the bed. :)

Agreed, I've made the same statement here many times as well. I merely point out the often made irony of lining up your bogeymen only to be surprised by something completely unexpected.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Timo » Wed 06 Nov 2013, 15:17:53

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/technology/2013/11/climate-mapping-tool-youve-been-waiting/7492/
This leaves me speechless. If someone wants to follow the NOAA link and follow up on this article, feel free. I simply can't do it.
Timo

Unread postby ritter » Wed 06 Nov 2013, 17:20:33

Lore wrote: I merely point out the often made irony of lining up your bogeymen only to be surprised by something completely unexpected.

Like getting hit by the bus crossing the street!

One of my favorite examples are the 300+ pound gun nutters that think they'll go all Rambo-n-sh!t during the end times but end up dying of diabetes, stroke or cardiac arrest lounging in the easy-boy. We should all focus a bit more on the tangible and affect what positive change we can.
ritter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Subjectivist » Mon 18 Aug 2014, 15:11:47

If you’re not ready to read about early winterlike weather, turn the page.

Click to a different article.

You’ve been warned.

The polar vortex – that extremely cold air that swirls above the North Pole – may make a brief visit to the Northeast next month, AccuWeather.com reported Wednesday.

“There could be a significant shot of chilly air that comes across the Great Lakes region and into the interior Northeast sometime in mid to late September,” said Paul Pastelok, the lead long-range forecaster for the State College, Pa.-based weather forecasting service.

The polar vortex, you may remember, led many local school districts to exceed their annual allotment of snow days last winter because temperatures and the wind chill were considered too dangerously cold for children to be outside. It also was blamed for copious amounts of lake-effect snow.

AccuWeather has even more bad news for fair weather fans: El Niño, the flow of unusually warm surface waters in the equatorial Pacific Ocean that changes rain and temperature patterns, will debut early this winter, fueling early snow across the Northeast.

“December could get kind of wild due to the very active southern jet stream that is going to provide the moisture for bigger snowstorms. The Northeast could have a couple of big storms in December and early January,” Pastelok said.
. More at the link,
http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/ ... t-20140806

I dug this up just for the folks who are convinced the new ice age is upon us.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 18 Aug 2014, 17:05:28

dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Is There Global Cooling?

Unread postby timmac » Sun 07 Sep 2014, 00:04:44

Now for some real global weather news, stop being brain washed by major media and flakes like Al Gore..

Welcome. There has now been almost 18 years with no measurable atmospheric global warming and a slight cooling in the past 12 years. I will try to give you the answer to the question "is there global cooling?" As you are well aware there is a huge effort around the globe to counter the alleged impact of mankind on the world's climate. If in fact mankind will cause the seas to rise appreciably by causing CO2 induced global warming then certainly let's do something about it. But, what if global warming is not what they say it is? What if the world's temperature is headed in the opposite direction? Global temperatures increased for twenty years from the late 1970s to the late 1990s but have either stopped warming or have begun to cool in the last seventeen years. The global warming and subsequent cooling were even predictable due to hundreds of years of historical trends and observation of the impact of variations in solar activity and ocean cycles on global temperatures.

Did you know that in the past the Roman Period and Medieval Period were both several degrees warmer than today's temperature. The world then cooled at least four degrees from approx. 1450 to 1850. This period was called the Little Ice Age (a period of glacial advance, the same glaciers that have been in retreat until recently). These temperature variations were not caused by man. They were caused entirely by natural forces.

There has been no measurable atmospheric global warming for almost 18 years.

RSS satellite data of atmospheric temperatures shows no increase in 17 years link link.Temperatures in the past 12 years which include atmospheric and surface stations have actually cooled somewhat.

http://isthereglobalcooling.com/
timmac
Permanently Banned

Re: Is There Global Cooling?

Unread postby Scrub Puller » Sun 07 Sep 2014, 02:36:49

Yair . . . timmac. You are free to be believe what ever you wish . . . but please don't post blocks of red text, it pisses me off more than your words.

Cheers.
Scrub Puller
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby timmac » Sun 07 Sep 2014, 02:40:20

And who are you to tell me no red
timmac
Permanently Banned

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sun 07 Sep 2014, 04:44:30

If you really want to piss someone off, use colours like this one! :badgrin:
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Scrub Puller » Sun 07 Sep 2014, 05:40:52

Yair . . . Good one dolanbaker. (big grin)

It is just that loud arrogant individuals and actions get up my nose.

It is as though the poster is saying "hey look at this, my post is really meaningful and important and more interesting than others" . . . it may well be in some cases but I don't want it rammed down my throat with aberrant and distracting coloration.

As for you timmac . . . I am just another poster.

Cheers.
Scrub Puller
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby BobInget » Sun 07 Sep 2014, 15:13:58

(The red type face is a dead-give-away, IMO. Only the totally insecure or 'agent provocateurs' seek to rile up imagined 'enemies'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_provocateur

The worst mistake however, is opening with "the big lie". A smarter propagandist will lure a reader into his piece using the opening salvo as a closer to numerous 'facts' presented.

Here's my somewhat bazaar notion... The world is busy, literally fighting over resource 'crumbs'. On that point if you don't agree, stop reading.

Still here?
Effects of global warming are driving insurance (hedging) costs higher. Still agree?
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-n ... nge-52218/

Okay, here's my somewhat original thought for this topic:

As AGW effects begin to become more pronounced, nations, all nations, will be forced to divert scarce military funding to Climate Change mitigation. That's it. How you might ask do we deal with free lance
militia types?

Only bandits, pirates, kidnappers, so called 'adventurers' (like Boko Haram, ISIS) will carry on a life of profitable crime. Because they have No real 'base', No Nation to Protect.. 'they' will not find refuge anywhere. Slowly but surly bandit adventurers will be killed off to be replaced with will lesser and lesser leadership. Proxy warfare has taken the place of sending millions abroad to fight. Drones, so cheap
and getting cheaper, nations can now keep criminals at bay at a fraction of old costs.

Because up-starts are equal opportunity murderers they win no loyalty, only fear.
The object of 'terrorism' is to displace the current government with your own. No 'base' for that government, no popular support, attention moves away from war craziness to ' climate survival craziness'.
BobInget
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Ibon » Sun 07 Sep 2014, 15:35:04

What we should all understand about the shallow minded is that once global warming is no longer deniable and becomes no longer a charged topic these folks wont stick around even long enough for you to say I told you so before they flip instantly to another polarized topic taking on the exact same position. There is no substance here and thus no reason to even get riled up. Just empty dumbed down noisy parakeets.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 07 Sep 2014, 17:50:11

Tinmac is right that there hasn't been significant warming in the last 10-15 years. However, you have to put that in context.

Global temps over the last 10-15 are at record high levels. When you look at the last 10-15 years together with the 100 years of temperature data from the 20th century, its clear that there have were pauses and even reversals in global warming during the 20th century, but then the warming resumed.

Similary, this pause will end and global warming will resume unless we stop putting CO2 and CH4 into the atmosphere. And, given the incompetence poltiical leadership in the US and elsewhere, this isn't likely to happen.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sun 07 Sep 2014, 18:01:13

no.
EOT
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Red Pill » Mon 08 Sep 2014, 20:16:01

The science seems to be piling up that the recent lack of warming has been due to the North Atlantic taking a shite load of heat down to deep water. At some point that process will reverse and we'll see what we've been missing

At first glance, I thought you asked: Is there Global Dimming? This refers to the heat reflecting effect of all that crap that comes out of coal power plants that don't use scrubbers. China burns about half the coal on Earth and has scrubbers on ~20% of their plants. So, if they take cleaning up their environment seriously and start retrofitting their plants with scrubbers in a big way, the perverse result could be a measurable increase in warming.
Red Pill
Wood
Wood

Unread postby AndyA » Tue 09 Sep 2014, 01:59:42

This is great news, if you are in the heating business. This also explains why when I went to see the glacier, it wasn't there, and after an hours walk I was close enough to see a tiny part of it at the end of the valley, 18 years ago it was opposite the carpark. Get ready for sea level decline, which is typical for ice ages.

Sounds like a crock of shit to me, [color=#FF4000]but what would I know
,[color=#00FFFF] I'm not a fcn retard[/color].[/color]
If you want the truth to stand clear before you, never be for or against. The struggle between "for" and "against" is the mind's worst disease. -Sen-ts'an
AndyA
Lignite
Lignite

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate