Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Extinction Of Humanity pt. 2

Re: The Extinction Of Humanity pt. 2

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 05 Oct 2016, 06:04:32

Fascinating story from the remote Taiga of Siberia. The tenacity of our species to persevere.

http://russia-insider.com/en/40-years-r ... ii/ri16615

beside a stream there was a dwelling. Blackened by time and rain, the hut was piled up on all sides with taiga rubbish—bark, poles, planks. If it hadn’t been for a window the size of my backpack pocket, it would have been hard to believe that people lived there. But they did, no doubt about it…. Our arrival had been noticed, as we could see.

The low door creaked, and the figure of a very old man emerged into the light of day, straight out of a fairy tale. Barefoot. Wearing a patched and repatched shirt made of sacking. He wore trousers of the same material, also in patches, and had an uncombed beard. His hair was disheveled. He looked frightened and was very attentive…. We had to say something, so I began: ‘Greetings, grandfather! We’ve come to visit!’

The old man did not reply immediately…. Finally, we heard a soft, uncertain voice: ‘Well, since you have traveled this far, you might as well come in.’

And this:

The rest of the family were saved by what they regarded as a miracle: a single grain of rye sprouted in their pea patch. The Lykovs put up a fence around the shoot and guarded it zealously night and day to keep off mice and squirrels. At harvest time, the solitary spike yielded 18 grains, and from this they painstakingly rebuilt their rye crop
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 05 Oct 2016, 09:43:40

Yeah, that's an amazing story. I think someone posted it on one of these forums a few months ago or longer. I wonder if the area they were living in is one of those many areas of Siberia that have now burnt to the ground.

It is particularly said--and telling--that they all died not too long after returning to 'civilization' mostly from renal failure, as I recall, probably from ODing on salt, the thing that they said they missed the most.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 17 Dec 2016, 12:41:58

http://wakeup-world.com/2015/05/04/plas ... -the-tide/
Plastic is Killing the Planet and Our Health — Here’s How We Can Turn the Tide
“EVERY single piece of plastic that has ever been created since the 19th century is still SOMEWHERE on our planet.
“When the last tree is cut down, the last fish eaten and the last stream poisoned, you will realize that you cannot eat money.”
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby pstarr » Sat 17 Dec 2016, 12:54:24

I read somewhere that floating plastic mats of junk were the best off-shore habitats for non-pelagic fish. In another words, man has created special ecospheres that attract a completely different ecosystem in a new place. Sounds happy to me. :) You doomers just want to tragedize everything lol
There's nothing deeper than love. In fairy tales, the princesses kiss the frogs, and the frogs become princes. In real life,the princesses kiss princes, and the princes turn into frogs

“Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.”
― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 17 Dec 2016, 13:29:37

onlooker wrote:http://wakeup-world.com/2015/05/04/plastic-is-killing-the-planet-and-our-health-heres-how-we-can-turn-the-tide/
“EVERY single piece of plastic that has ever been created since the 19th century is still SOMEWHERE on our planet.

Sorry but that factoid is a gross exaggeration. While a lot of kinds of plastic do persist for very long periods of time not all do. Some types are actually quite easily biodegradable and in some places trash is combusted as part of municipal waste management and the plastic in that waste is used as fuel just like the rest of the trash.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby pstarr » Sat 17 Dec 2016, 13:37:29

Tanada wrote:
onlooker wrote:http://wakeup-world.com/2015/05/04/plastic-is-killing-the-planet-and-our-health-heres-how-we-can-turn-the-tide/

Sorry but that factoid is a gross exaggeration. While a lot of kinds of plastic do persist for very long periods of time not all do. Some types are actually quite easily biodegradable and in some places trash is combusted as part of municipal waste management and the plastic in that waste is used as fuel just like the rest of the trash.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us

Tanada, why have you linked to a bad cached version of an article about municipal waste incineration?
There's nothing deeper than love. In fairy tales, the princesses kiss the frogs, and the frogs become princes. In real life,the princesses kiss princes, and the princes turn into frogs

“Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.”
― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 17 Dec 2016, 13:39:37

Good point, T, but a lot of the early 'biodegradable' plastic actually just broke down into very tiny pieces of plastic, iirc, that themselves could cause havoc in the intestines of tiny creatures.

In any case, it is well worth remembering that we have many more than one or two threats looming, for us and for life on the planet. And the persistent pollution of plastics will be doing its damage for a long, long time to come (if there's anything left for it to damage!).
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 17 Dec 2016, 14:21:02

Note from my article "As industry can never let a synthetic chemical go to waste, a new purpose for BPA was found by adding it to polycarbonate plastics beginning in the early 1950s. It took nearly sixty years before the dangers of BPA were known to the public. It’s estimated that 93% of Americans have BPA within their bodies."
Now from this article about BPA https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -plastics/
But Hunt counters that there is plenty of corroboration to consider BPA a problem. In response to the Harvard study, she helped to produce a “state of the evidence” paper for Reproductive Toxicology in 2007. Along with 36 other researchers, led by vom Saal, the group analyzed hundreds of government-funded studies and found that 90 percent had concluded BPA was a health risk. It was the dozen or so industry-funded studies, vom Saal says, that failed to replicate other BPA research.""
And as Dohboi said let us not get stuck on the trees and not see the forest, they're is thousands and thousands of chemicals out there doing short and quite probably long term damage to both animals and humans and these chemicals are circulating throughout the Biosphere, ie. land, sea and water and our food. Remember scientists have uncovered that some chemicals alone may not be harmful but together can be. Of course since this thread is about human extinction a holistic analysis of all the daunting dangers to living beings should be addressed. I just linked one because it is a silent one that will be around for a long time
Last edited by onlooker on Sat 17 Dec 2016, 14:26:48, edited 1 time in total.
“When the last tree is cut down, the last fish eaten and the last stream poisoned, you will realize that you cannot eat money.”
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby pstarr » Sat 17 Dec 2016, 14:23:12

Of course BPA is a health risk. But then dilution is the solution for ginned up hysteria. This story to will pass lol

― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 17 Dec 2016, 14:30:18

"...93% of Americans have BPA within their bodies..."

So maybe that explains the T rump election!? 8O
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 17 Dec 2016, 14:49:44

dohboi wrote:"...93% of Americans have BPA within their bodies..."

So maybe that explains the T rump election!? 8O

Maybe Trex would be more appropriate name :lol: :lol:
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 24 May 2017, 11:36:45

Well this link seems to confirm that 5 worse Mass Extinctions directly or indirectly related to climate change , could humans hold out before such a calamity?
http://www.endangeredspeciesinternation ... rview.html
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 24 May 2017, 13:25:51

It is SO AMUSING to note the double standard imposed by the AGW fanboys at the PO.com forums. The above article is a perfect example of this. It ignores the widely accepted direct causes of those extinction events while speculating - without even mentioning why or how - that they were climate change related.

This does of course fit perfectly into the AGW fanboy/Doomer/silly dilettante attitudes so persistent and widespread around here. The most offensive parts of the silly delusions that are so widespread at this site are the denials of quite natural processes such as supervolcanoes, catastropic planetary-wide events such as large body impacts, and the ever-present modifications of climate via slow tectonic changes. Not to mention that most of you would blame your neighbor's SUVs - but never your own - for warming caused by the variable output of that gigantic nearby thermonuclear furnace we call the Sun.

There, now I feel better, I was getting spiritually constipated, until this last bit of silliness triggered a movement.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Fission
Fission

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 24 May 2017, 13:29:57

are the denials of quite natural processes such as supervolcanoes, catastropic planetary-wide events such as large body impacts,---And what do you think was the aftermath of these calamities? Bingo. Climate change.
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 24 May 2017, 14:08:17

First:
onlooker wrote:Well this link seems to confirm that 5 worse Mass Extinctions directly or indirectly related to climate change , could humans hold out before such a calamity?
http://www.endangeredspeciesinternation ... rview.html

Second:
onlooker wrote:are the denials of quite natural processes such as supervolcanoes, catastropic planetary-wide events such as large body impacts,---And what do you think was the aftermath of these calamities? Bingo. Climate change.

Non sequitur. Your first message implies that CC caused those extinctions. The second message then says that CC resulted from those extinction events. This IS the conventional causality relationship, and the opposite of your first interpretation.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Fission
Fission

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 24 May 2017, 14:22:56

No. In my first quote I stated CC as indirectly causing mass extinctions. Leading to my second quote that the climate change was a result of those other events. Thus,the indirect cause of mass extinctions.
I think you are using a semantic diversion to critique my assertions
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 24 May 2017, 15:25:00

dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 24 May 2017, 15:28:03

Yea, D its hopeless sigh
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Thu 25 May 2017, 02:45:00

In reply to Ibon's post at the top. Here is the documentary in English.

Agafia

Thought provoking.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Ibon » Thu 25 May 2017, 07:15:19

Cid_Yama wrote:In reply to Ibon's post at the top. Here is the documentary in English.

Agafia

Thought provoking.

I sat here at Totumas at 6am and watched the video. This renouncing of the world and going off into the wilderness to be close to god. My dad was a Mennonite and even though he became an atheist he carried this archetype of renunciation with him through out his life and felt somehow in exile in the world. I have to say I also carry still an echo of this. And that video just once again awakened this.

It is thought provoking.
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon

PreviousNext

Return to Environment