Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Etp Model, Q & A

Discuss research and forecasts regarding hydrocarbon depletion.

Moderator: Pops

Re: The Etp Model, Q & A

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 20 Jan 2017, 20:41:23

I think you guys might find this interesting from a book by William Kotke -The Final Empire: The Collapse of Civilization and the Seed of the Future Paperback – November 30, 2007
Here is an excerpt related to the above conversation "Climax ecosystems are the most productive because they are the most diverse. Each organism feeds back some portion of energy to producers of energy that supports it (as well as providing energy to other pathways) and as these support systems grow, the mass and variety of green plants and animals increases, taking advantage of every possible niche. What might be looked at as a whole, unitary organ of the planet's living body, a forest or grassland, experiences increased health because of its diversity within. " and this one "The nourishment of the soil depends upon the photosynthetic production of the vegetative cover that it carries. There are wide differences in the Net Photosynthetic Production of many possible vegetative covers. As a rule it is the climax ecosystem of any particular region of the earth that is the most productive in translating the energy of the sun into the growth of plants and in turn into organic debris which revitalizes the soil. "
" Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear."
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby donstewart » Fri 20 Jan 2017, 21:01:53

Tad Patzek
Tad used to be a Petroleum professor at the U of Texas, and was head of ASPO for a time. Now, I believe he is in Saudi Arabia. Anyway, with the gloom and doom prevalent here, and his close association with petroleum, perhaps it is admissible to post his Christmas greeting...Don Stewart

My advice to myself and others goes like this: I never try to completely understand and control the circumstances in which I find myself. Instead, I try to learn and estimate, and adapt and act. I call this approach adaptive, open-loop, process-based control. Thus far, thinking-and-acting have served me well and prevented from stumbling into many objectively inevitable disasters, including the martial law in Poland in 1981; the disintegration of Shell’s research in 1990; the post-2007, self-inflicted decline of the University of California at Berkeley; and the precipitous fall of oil price in 2015. Each time, an ounce thinking and a pound of action have prevented me from falling flat on my face and dragging my family down. I have also avoided making the morally dubious compromises I abhor.
donstewart
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Physicsnerd » Fri 20 Jan 2017, 21:57:30

Thanks Don! Dr. Christine Jones, another good source of learning.

In this video, soil scientists, Dr. Christine Jones and Elaine Ingham share farming and land management methods that will return carbon to the soil – and keep it there – for healthier crops, more resilient farms, and less extreme weather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3rhjqzVrRc
Physicsnerd
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 20 Jan 2017, 23:14:00

Part 6 of this mega thread can be found,

topic73166.html
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Peak oil studies, reports & models