THE El Nino / La Nina Thread Pt. 2

Re: THE El Nino / La Nina Thread Pt. 2

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 07 Dec 2016, 23:12:12

dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Thu 08 Dec 2016, 12:23:46

Here is the NOAA presentation of Dec 5th that points to current La Nina conditions and a prediction for continued weak La Nina in early 2017. Contrary to other models suggesting ENSO neutral conditions.

Much of this has to do with datasets used (buoy versus satellites or combinations) and corrections made from what I can tell.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/lanina/enso_evolution-status-fcsts-web.pdf
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 12 Jan 2017, 18:01:04

New El Nino on the horizon?

Dr. Philip Klotzbach is tweeting that the latest forecast from NOAA indicates a 35% likelihood of a new El Niño by fall and a 50% chance of neutral conditions:

https://twitter.com/philklotzbach/statu ... 6404532224
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Subjectivist » Thu 12 Jan 2017, 19:58:03

Maybe that El Papa you guys were talking about a wile back will happen after all?

https://pubs.giss.nasa.gov/abs/sh03500i.html
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Thu 12 Jan 2017, 20:04:16

The most up to date NOAA prediction (Jan 7, 2017) is indicating likely La Nina through to Feb/March and then neutral through September. They also note there is equally as likely chance of going back to La Nina as going into El Nino (at least that is what their predictive plot seems to be showing).
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/lanina/enso_evolution-status-fcsts-web.pdf
This is updated monthly.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby peakoilwhen » Wed 08 Feb 2017, 11:15:57

I think the el-nino and la nina events have been strongly evidenced to be geological, i.e. varying heat from the mantle thru a thin ocean floor.
peakoilwhen
Permanently Banned

Unread postby onlooker » Tue 21 Mar 2017, 19:12:37

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2017/ ... es/520146/
"An unusual bout of heavy rains powered by El Niño conditions have drenched parts of Peru with 10 times more rainfall than normal," El Niño conditions or the actual El Niño ?
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 21 Mar 2017, 21:54:58

onlooker wrote:https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2017/03/peru-suffers-worst-flooding-in-decades/520146/
"An unusual bout of heavy rains powered by El Niño conditions have drenched parts of Peru with 10 times more rainfall than normal," El Niño conditions or the actual El Niño ?

The official current forecast says conditions are neutral.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/CDB/index.shtml
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 21 Mar 2017, 22:17:46

Well, Peru has it's own weird thing with El Nino, apparently. Too late and drunk to get into it now. More later. Maybe.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Azothius » Sun 26 Mar 2017, 16:38:03

"coastal El Nino" - heavy rains/mudslides destroy 800 Peruvian villages

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/mudslide-buries-peruvian-village-leaving-claim-46374234

Peru — Mar 25, 2017
Mudslide buries Peruvian village, leaving little to claim

In January, the residents of Barbablanca began noticing steady, unusual rains, and in early March, the downpours became worrying. For two weeks, it rained for more than six hours a day. The residents decided that if rainfall worsened and a mudslide seemed imminent, they would flee up the mountain to higher ground.

The rains pummeling Peru, brought about by a warming of Pacific Ocean waters that climatologists are calling a "coastal El Nino," have left 85 dead, crippled the nation's infrastructure, ruined thousands of fields of crops and destroyed 800 villages, most much like Barbablanca.

Peru is expected to spend at least $3.75 million in repairing bridges and roads, according to the Central Bank, but the economic toll is still accumulating. Another two weeks of rain are forecast and the state meteorological agency expects the ocean warming causing the storms to continue through April.

"This really is the worst disaster for the people of northern Peru in decades," said Michele Detomaso, head of the IFRC team in Peru. "Its severity - and the speed with which waters came in - surpassed the capacities of the population to cope."

https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-03-21/several-cities-peru-are-underwater-and-coastal-el-ni-o-isnt-done-yet

Several cities in Peru are underwater, and the 'coastal El Niño' isn't done yet

Peru - March 21, 2017
The precipitation has been caused by what scientists call a “coastal El Niño,” a localized version of the hemispherewide condition. Unusually warm waters just off the Andean nation’s Pacific shore — up to 50 degrees warmer than normal — have triggered the rains in the world’s second-highest mountain range.

The extreme runoff has, in turn, caused devastating problems, above all in Peru’s northern regions, particularly Piura, near the frontier with Ecuador. Downtown areas of several cities, including Piura, and Trujillo, which is Peru’s second-largest urban center, have been underwater for days now.

Meanwhile, up to half a million people have been severely affected. They include some of Peru’s poorest, who made the fatal mistake of squatting on land beside gulches and canyons that open from the Andes onto the coastal plane.

Ironically, in the capital, Lima, the problem ended up being too little water, rather than too much. SEDAPAL, the local water authority, saw its treatment plants overwhelmed by unprecedented volumes of water, heavy with sediment, debris and trash.

As a result, water supplies in this city of 10 million people were cut almost entirely, without notice, from Thursday evening to Monday afternoon. That prompted long queues in the 80-degree heat as municipal water trucks stopped at street corners to fill buckets, bottles and even plastic bathtubs for locals. There were some reports of scuffles and fights in some of the worst-affected neighborhoods.

There has also been a rush on bottled water in supermarkets while the prices of some food staples have soared, with roads into Lima and other major population centers along the coast having been cut off.
Ragnarok is Coming
Azothius
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 26 Mar 2017, 17:22:34

We are getting tastes now of potential impacts of climate change. Not pleasant.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby WildRose » Fri 19 May 2017, 13:59:18

It looks like we are back into an El Nino cycle this summer. Who knows how long it will last? It's going to create unusual weather-forecasting circumstances, as we have never before, at least in our records, gone back into an El Nino cycle so soon after a very strong El Nino (2015-2016). The ocean temperatures didn't get a chance to cool down after that El Nino, and the heat in the ocean now combined with the heating that will occur over the next year is what will produce unusual weather patterns.

So, as we head into summer the drivers of our weather pattern will interact with each other in a way that we have not observed as long as reliable records of global temperatures have been kept.

In a typical seasonal forecast, we use a technique called the “analogue method”, where we look back through history to find years that had global patterns that were similar to our current pattern and study the weather that was associated with those patterns. This can give us very useful information on how the upcoming months might play out.

However, in a year this atypical, the forecast process is even more challenging as we seek to determine how the different pieces of the puzzle will fit together and interact with each other.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/ ... ths/82391/
WildRose
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 19 May 2017, 14:24:50

I wonder how they are discerning El Nino from the extra warmth now present?
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby WildRose » Fri 19 May 2017, 18:14:01

onlooker wrote:I wonder how they are discerning El Nino from the extra warmth now present?

Good question, onlooker. I wonder if that's one of the "different pieces of the puzzle" that they're referring to? They just seem to acknowledge that there's "a lot of lingering warmth" from the previous El Nino cycle and that it's never happened like this before, and that it will affect global temperatures.
WildRose
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 19 May 2017, 22:49:17

Maybe the El Papa really has begun, but it will take a decade or longer to confirm that.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 19 May 2017, 23:23:31

Good points.

https://robertscribbler.com/2017/05/17/ ... ent-115180

This was the hottest April in recorded history...

Flies in the kitchen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CDLCr0fxOQ
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 19 Sep 2017, 23:28:43

Pacific tropical sea surface temperatures have been trending down for five months in a row.

The ENSO center at NOAA is now predicting a 55% or more chance that this winter we will fall further and cross into La Nina conditions.

Sea surface temperatures in the key monitoring region of the tropical Pacific have been dropping through the summer, and a deep pool of cool water is lurking below the surface. NOAA thinks there is a 55-60% chance of La Niña developing this fall and winter.

https://www.climate.gov/enso

Buckle up kiddies, the last cycle we had this happen the jet stream got stuck and the polar express sent Arctic air masses all the way down to Alabama. I would just as soon not repeat that experience, but it isn't up to me.

Meanwhile the Atlantic Hurricane season seems to be trying to imitate the high number of named storms we got in 2005 when the season extended into January and they ran out of official names and had to start using Greek letter designations.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 20 Sep 2017, 01:46:28

say it
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 27 Oct 2017, 00:01:36

La Nina looking more and more likely.

Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 10 Nov 2017, 16:45:37

La Niña is now officially declared!

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/b ... 0%99s-back

Not very surprising though; strong or very strong El Niños tend to be followed by a "double up" La Niña. Only case is the 1965/1966 El Niño that was followed by cool neutral conditions before a "double up" El Niño emerged in 1968-1970.

thnx to lmv at asif for link and text
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate