Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Desperate Airline Tactics Thread (merged)

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Re: Airline considers removing seats, have passengers stand

Unread postby lowem » Mon 06 Jul 2009, 21:25:59

Daphne64 wrote:They'll only be able to pull that off if they get influence equal to that of the banks...

You mean, like when they start getting government bailout money?
Live quotes - oil/gold/silver
lowem
Expert
Expert

Re: This Is A Joke, Right?

Unread postby RonMN » Mon 06 Jul 2009, 21:31:14

...Those were the days :)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.
RonMN
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby jasonraymondson » Mon 06 Jul 2009, 23:51:10

ryanair is a real airline? Not a Onion made up company?
jasonraymondson
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Daphne64 » Tue 07 Jul 2009, 00:11:16

Yes, Ryanair is a real airline, but it's CEO is a joker. Just imagine the injuries incurred on regular takeoff - maybe 5% fall backwards off their stools, 1% get injured, 0.1% get spinal injuries - on every flight.

yeah, right.
Daphne64
Peat
Peat

Unread postby lowem » Tue 07 Jul 2009, 00:54:40

Won't be long before the airlines start employing these Japan train pushers.
lowem
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Micki » Tue 07 Jul 2009, 00:58:38

Yeah, the owners likes a bit of controversy.
Last year they ran a campaign called "beds and blowjobs".
http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php ... -en-200608
Micki

Unread postby jasonraymondson » Tue 07 Jul 2009, 00:59:36

lowem wrote:Image

Won't be long before the airlines start employing these Japan train pushers.

wow, after seeing this, it makes you think of Nazi concentration camps forcing people into boxes and showers to be gassed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STNWc7Rlpfk
jasonraymondson
Permanently Banned

Unread postby anador » Tue 07 Jul 2009, 18:05:19

Ryanair is a hack of an airline.

I personally was returning from the domincan repulic on one of their charter flights a couple years back.

They said their was a fuel shortage on the island and we wouldn't be able to get enough fuel to go to our scheduled stop, and would have to go through Miami. So we made a landing in MIA and they were totally unprepared for our arrival there. We had to wait two hours on the tarmac for gate space and then had to endure the 3 hour sojourn in customs due to our unexpected arrival.

During this whole ordeal the crew of the plane did not disembark, but remained on-board. By the time we had returned they said they could not take us to our destination because of a federal law that limits the amount of time crew can remain on an airliner. They left us in Miami. No representative, no lodging, or connecting flights. We were trapped there for 36 hours before the travel agency managed to get a rep.down to us and organize our flights back.

Neither ryan-air nor the travel agency agreed to take responsibility for the new tickets and we had to pay our own way.

This was all later resolved in a class action lawsuit, but when the rep told the angry assembled crowd that we had to pay I thought they were gonna tear him to shreds :-D
@#$% highways
anador
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Quinny » Tue 07 Jul 2009, 19:22:28

Ryanair and Servisair especially together adopt what I consider to be extremely dusious business practices. They rely on very strict T's & C's to maximise profit on 'mistakes' made by those who don't follow them to the letter. I'd advise anyone using them to read the small print very carefully.

eg. They operate a check in online policy, great you might think, but if you don't take a printed copy of your boarding card and just try to check in normally, it costs you £20-£40 to get your boarding card.

The normal final check in time is 40 mins rather than 30 mins for other Airlines, and if you are one minute late, it's the next flight at premium prices - if you're lucky.

I recently did online check-in and arrived well within time, only to find that although I could get on the plane, my baggage couldn't because it was still bound by the 40 minute rule.
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby eXpat » Tue 07 Jul 2009, 21:26:24

And let´s not forget the service!
http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/ryan.htm
Ryanair is the worst airline I have ever flown. The representatives are rude and insulting. The service is non existent. The additional baggage fee charges are obscene and excessive and you either pay the fees or they refuse to issue boarding passes leaving you stranded at the airport. You have no choice when you are traveling with your spouse and children in a foreign country. Flying Ryanair was a mistake that I will not make again.

I travelled from Stanstead to Rimini yesterday to work for two months. Foolishly I did not check the excess baggage charges on the website. Ok, my fault, when I checked in the bag was 24K instead of the 15K allowed. I had to pay £136 and I will have to pay the same again coming back, unless I want to dump a lot of my stuff. The check in area was chaos as lots of people were opening their cases and dumping things, or trying to put more stuff in their hand luggage, because they had weighed their bags and realized how much it was going to cost them. Also some people were struggling with the machines and payment, my mum helped two people, with Ryanair staff giving no assistance. Low cost airline - what a joke.

Terrible - out from Stansted delayed by 15 hours. Return from Ercan to Stansted flight cancelled and local Ercan staff terrible. The cost for 3 people transferred to Turkish Airlines was an additional £1000.

My family and I travelled from Edinburgh to Malta last week. Herded like cattle at check-in. My daughter had to pay £190.00 excess luggage even though her daughter had no hand luggage. No consideration was used. Inside the aircraft all plastic - no headrest covers. I hope the previous passenger did not have something nasty in their hair. We ordered 2 coffees and 2 small soft drinks. Cost £10.60. Coffee tasted like warmed up dish water. As for announcements, it might as well have been in Chinese as we could not make out most of what was being said.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby jasonraymondson » Wed 08 Jul 2009, 22:09:15

I would like point out to people complaining, you get what you pay for.
jasonraymondson
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 09 Jul 2009, 08:00:41

moderator, please merge with the thread that was started in 2006.. I posted this story couple days ago and it was merged with that thread

just an fyi
Last edited by lowem on Wed 22 Jul 2009, 23:13:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with earlier "passengers as freight" thread and renamed to "The Desperate Airline Tactics Thread"
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: The Desperate Airline Tactics Thread (merged)

Unread postby lowem » Wed 22 Jul 2009, 23:20:45

More fun and hilarity :

Ryanair says passengers prefer to stand

Most passengers would be willing to stand during flights if the fare was free, according to a poll released Wednesday by Irish no-frills airline Ryanair ... under the proposal, passengers would lean on a stool or ledge and wear a seatbelt during take off and landing. Passengers would still have to pay taxes and charges imposed by governments or airport operators ... Ryanair this year abandoned plans for a "fat tax" on obese passengers, because it would slow down check-in procedures. The airline has been criticised for considering other money-making schemes including charging people to go to the toilet.

re : Please refer to Japan train pushers photo above :lol:
lowem
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 21 Sep 2009, 22:00:43

Well, looks like things are moving forward with the new "cattlecar airline" scheme..
Inspiration behind this is military transport:

Air travel is being overhauled with a new aircraft design which plans to seat passengers facing each other in rows.
The controversial design is intended to save space and money and could see 50 per cent more passengers packed on to each plane.
Howard Guy, director of the UK company Design Q, acknowledges that some people will not be happy with the plan, but says they will be able to pay less for any inconvenience.

'Having passengers face each other is not an ideal situation,' he said. 'But this will see increased revenue for the operator and more economical tickets for the passenger - so by keeping both happy, this concept makes an attractive alternative.

'Sure the passenger can choose a flight facing forward in a traditional seating position, but he or she will have to pay more for the luxury.'
Mr Guy predicts that the design could see a 50 per cent increase in the number of passengers on board and a 30 per cent reduced cost per seat.
However, he did concede that the seats would not be comfortable for passengers on flights of more than two hours.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1215081/Packed-like-sardines-New-aircraft-design-plans-seat-passengers-face-face.html
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby emersonbiggins » Mon 21 Sep 2009, 23:40:41

I would rather lay stacked 5 high to the ceiling than be bound like a mental patient to a vertical restraint. Of course if this is only bearable for flights of "less than two hours," I would feel compelled to take the train, provided one exists.
"It's called the American Dream because you'd have to be asleep to believe it."

George Carlin
emersonbiggins
Expert
Expert

Airlines Cut Small Jets as Fuel Prices Soar

Unread postby Ache » Fri 25 Nov 2011, 19:18:31

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStor ... tAg0GOTZKs

The little planes that connect America's small cities to the rest of the world are slowly being phased out.

Airlines are getting rid of these planes — their least-efficient — in response to the high cost of fuel. Delta, United Continental, and other big airlines are expected to park, scrap or sell hundreds of jets with 50 seats or fewer in coming years. Small propeller planes are meeting the same fate.

The loss of those planes is leaving some little cities with fewer flights or no flights at all.

The Airports Council International says 27 small airports in the continental U.S., including St. Cloud, Minn., and Oxnard, Calif., have lost service from well-known commercial airlines over the last two years. More shutdowns are planned.

Travelers in cities that have lost service now must drive or take buses to larger airports. That adds time and stress to travel. St. Cloud lost air service at the end of 2009 after Delta eliminated flights on 34-seat turboprops. Now, passengers from the city of 66,000 have a 90-minute drive to the Minneapolis airport 65 miles to the southeast.
Ache
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Airlines Cut Small Jets as Fuel Prices Soar

Unread postby The Practician » Fri 25 Nov 2011, 19:37:39

It was only a matter of time. remember the good old days when you could travel between new york and paris at supersonic speed? Not even the 1 percent have that option these days, although I wouldn't bet against some sort of supersonic gulfstream making an appearance if we end up with a serious global plutocracy for a while.
The Practician
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 26 Nov 2011, 08:07:49

Since 2005 the airport in Toledo has gone from having several commuter flight options to none. Politically it has been a hot potato every time someone left the Mayor and Port Authority got castigated in the media. When a new airline moved in to fill the void after the 2008 petroleum price collapse there was celebration in the media, now they have left as well as prices rose and passenger rates fell due to higher costs.

Anyone think a city will subsidize fuel costs for an airline in a bid to keep service? That is the only thing I think that would work, and as the price spirals up it would become too costly pretty near in the future.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby jdmartin » Sat 26 Nov 2011, 15:57:20

I doubt any cities will be subbing flight fuel - nearly all municipalities are in fiscal pain right now...
After fueling up their cars, Twyman says they bowed their heads and asked God for cheaper gas.There was no immediate answer, but he says other motorists joined in and the service station owner didn't run them off.
jdmartin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Conservation & Efficiency