Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Desperate Airline Tactics Thread (merged)

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Re: Airlines May Start Treating Passengers `Like Freight'

Unread postby TamilFarmer » Thu 30 Oct 2008, 22:31:16

This would be another justification for our Air India to sack overweight flight attendants - additional fuel costs. They have suspended scores of overweight flight attendants, based on their BMI, justified under safety considerations, and the courts have upheld their right to do so.

Also, most national carriers from the European Union and Asia, now, are very strictly enforcing the weight limits of checked and hand luggages. And, any excesses in the weights of the hand luggages, are being charged at the gate.

TamilFarmer
TamilFarmer
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Nookster » Sat 06 Dec 2008, 18:59:03

A big problem I see with it is that it throws a monkey wrench into getting tickets online, etc.

It's really gotten to the point with all the Nazi homeland security crap, that flying is more of a hassle than it's worth anyway.
Nookster
Wood
Wood

Unread postby eastbay » Sat 06 Dec 2008, 19:23:30

gwmss15 wrote:Eastbay
"Since we were a family of four, we didn't board and two single passengers did instead. Rather that wait until evening for the next flight we rented a car and drove the 160 miles. "

Why did you not just take an intercity commuter train or even an intercity express bus flying that short 160 mile distance is a real waste of fuel. The flight should not exist its too short.

We always fly standby meaning we fill seats that would have otherwise been empty. So, with five people in the car, the per capita fuel use for the one way ride was minimal.

And if we had driven that route today instead of last June it would have been about a dollar and a half each in fuel in an economy car. Getting from SEATAC to the train depot alone would have cost 10 times that in taxi fare alone.

These short hop flights days are definitely numbered, and I won't cry when they're gone.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby JJ » Sat 06 Dec 2008, 19:29:34

another thing thats going on is that in order to save money people are carrying on stuff that should be checked. My friend was flying up to S. Dakota a couple of weeks ago (he's doing seismology for Exxon) and he said someone tryed to throw out his laptop (his only carry-on) in order to make room for their suitcase; he was pis%ed.
JJ
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby lper100km » Sun 07 Dec 2008, 16:18:29

This is only back to the future. Airlines in the 30’s 40’s and early 50’s routinely checked the weight of passengers and their baggage. Of course, aircraft were much smaller then and the all up weight, including the fuel weight was a very important factor, especially on transatlantic routes. Whether it was ever used to deny a seat to a passenger because of ‘overweight’, I have no idea, but obesity also was not such a big issue then either.

A few movies of the era have airport scenes showing the weigh scales at check in.
lper100km
Lignite
Lignite

Location: Over the tracks, left under the overpass, right, third boxcar on the left, ask for Jack

Re: Come fly with me, but you don't pee for free.

Unread postby allmeyer » Sat 28 Feb 2009, 09:53:20

No problems for me. I will just pee in the seat... or the aisle. Or maybe on you!
allmeyer
Wood
Wood

Unread postby dinopello » Sat 28 Feb 2009, 10:22:19

They need to charge per unit time. Like 2 cents per second or something. That would enourage people to get their business done. And, if they just charged a flat rate people would probably stay in even longer because they paid for it, they are going to use it.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby sameu » Sun 01 Mar 2009, 15:20:22

allmeyer wrote:No problems for me. I will just pee in the seat... or the aisle. Or maybe on you!

rofl :mrgreen:
sameu
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby eXpat » Wed 04 Mar 2009, 20:24:58

Stole it from the Ticketforum (the pic), :) :lol:
It won´t take too long...
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Airline considers removing seats, have passengers stand

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 06 Jul 2009, 11:42:31

Ryanair is considering proposals to make some of its customers stand during flights.

The low-cost airline would charge passengers less on "bar stools" with seat belts around their waists.
Michael O'Leary, the chief executive, has already held talks with US plane manufacturer Boeing about designing an aircraft with standing room.

He is now seeking approval from the Irish Aviation Authority before ordering a new fleet of carriers, according to The Sun.
A Ryanair spokesman told the newspaper: "If they approve it, we'll be doing it."

Mr O'Leary is reported to have got the idea from the Chinese airline Spring, which has put forward similar plans. It estimates space could be made for up to 50 per cent more passengers and costs could be cut by 20 per cent.

It is not the first time Ryanair has come up with a controversial proposal for cutting costs. Earlier this year Mr O'Leary suggested passengers could be charged £1 to use the on-board lavatories.

In an interview on BBC television he said that the low-cost airline was looking at the possibility of installing a coin slot on the lavatory door so that "people might actually have to spend a pound to spend a penny."

Mr O'Leary also considered introducing a "fat tax" for overweight passengers.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/5753477/Ryanair-to-make-passengers-stand.html

There is absolutely NO WAY I could ever just stand / squat on a barstool in-flight, no doubt with another passenger standing / squatting three inches from me. Incredible.
Last edited by Ferretlover on Mon 06 Jul 2009, 12:44:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with "Treating passengers like frieght" thread.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Airline considers removing seats, have passengers stand

Unread postby Daphne64 » Mon 06 Jul 2009, 12:29:04

When the CEO proposed turning the toilets on his planes into pay toilets, some of his employees noted that he sometimes jokes about that kind of stuff.

This would HAVE to be a joke - I can't imagine regulators allowing it - injuries and deaths would be horrible even in emergency landings.
Daphne64
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 06 Jul 2009, 12:33:10

A couple of years ago on another thread http://peakoil.com/post476530.html#p476530 TheDude pointed toward this as the future of air travel.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 06 Jul 2009, 12:42:37

Airlines will eventually pack people in even tighter, and will use chains to keep them from moving around too much

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Daphne64 » Mon 06 Jul 2009, 13:15:24

Plantagenet wrote:Airlines will eventually pack people in even tighter, and will use chains to keep them from moving around too much

They'll only be able to pull that off if they get influence equal to that of the banks...
Daphne64
Peat
Peat

Unread postby eXpat » Mon 06 Jul 2009, 13:42:57

Sixstrings wrote:
Ryanair is considering proposals to make some of its customers stand during flights.

The low-cost airline would charge passengers less on "bar stools" with seat belts around their waists.
Michael O'Leary, the chief executive, has already held talks with US plane manufacturer Boeing about designing an aircraft with standing room.

He is now seeking approval from the Irish Aviation Authority before ordering a new fleet of carriers, according to The Sun.
A Ryanair spokesman told the newspaper: "If they approve it, we'll be doing it."
There is absolutely NO WAY I could ever just stand / squat on a barstool in-flight, no doubt with another passenger standing / squatting three inches from me. Incredible.

That´s hilarious :lol: they want to charge you for the toilette, won´t allow checked luggage and now want to make you travel standing up! You get better service in a rag-tag bus in any third world country. Ryanair should close down for good with some dignity and go to grow potatoes ot something.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

This Is A Joke, Right?

Unread postby stonecypher » Mon 06 Jul 2009, 20:13:36

Posting this in the "Population and Carrying Capacity" Forum because Ryanair wants to fly passengers "standing room only." On bar stools with seatbelts.

"Carrying Capacity" indeed! Why not put slings with seatbelts on the ceiling, too? 8O

As if flying anywhere on any airline today isn't enough of a nightmare as it is. :x

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,530 ... latestnews
stonecypher
Peat
Peat

Re: This Is A Joke, Right?

Unread postby eastbay » Mon 06 Jul 2009, 20:20:03

On short flights why not? Nothing shocking about it. No luggage, just a 60 or 80 kg body ... it's just smart business. Surprised others aren't doing this.

In fact, on flights of less than, say, 90 minutes, why not simply stack and strap the skinny ones down in the aisles?

stonecypher wrote:Posting this in the "Population and Carrying Capacity" Forum because Ryanair wants to fly passengers "standing room only." On bar stools with seatbelts.

"Carrying Capacity" indeed! Why not put slings with seatbelts on the ceiling, too? 8O

As if flying anywhere on any airline today isn't enough of a nightmare as it is. :x

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,530 ... latestnews
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby eXpat » Mon 06 Jul 2009, 20:23:29

Not only that, they want to abolish checked luggage:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601113&sid=ad_1t6Mslq4M
and of course want to charge you to use the toilette, and with a a credit card rather than a coin slot on the door!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/mar/05/ryanair-toilet-charge
Not joke.
George Bernard Shaw

eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Schmuto » Mon 06 Jul 2009, 20:46:55

I'll be able to tell my kids about the good old days when jet fuel was so cheap I was on several flights to Florida that had 4 adjacent seats empty and so I layed down.

Boy the way Glenn Miller Played.
Songs that made the Hit Parade.
Gee that old LaSalle ran great.

. . . .(anybody?)
June 5, 09. Taking a powder for at least a while - big change of life coming up.
-
We're saved! YesPlease promises that we'll be running cars on battery cubes about the size of a toaster.
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

PreviousNext

Return to Conservation & Efficiency