PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Carbon Dioxide (CO2) Thread Pt. 6

Moderator: Tanada

Re: THE Carbon Dioxide (CO2) Thread Pt. 6

Unread postby clif » Sat 22 Apr 2017, 14:51:26

We Just Breached the 410 Parts Per Million Threshold

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/we-j ... hold-21372
How cathartic it is to give voice to your fury, to wallow in self-righteousness, in helplessness, in self-serving self-pity.
clif
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 22 Apr 2017, 15:08:15

Well, that sure wasn't a long wait!! :) :(

On Tuesday, the Mauna Loa Observatory recorded its first-ever carbon dioxide reading in excess of 410 parts per million (it was 410.28 ppm in case you want the full deal)
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 25 Apr 2017, 09:46:06

Week beginning on April 16, 2017: 409.61 ppm
Weekly value from 1 year ago: 407.48 ppm
Weekly value from 10 years ago: 387.49 ppm
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 25 Apr 2017, 09:46:40

April 24: Unavailable
April 23: 409.65 ppm
April 22: 409.52 ppm
April 21: 409.66 ppm
April 20: 409.82 ppm
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 26 Apr 2017, 15:20:10

We have reached the 410 ppm benchmark, a level not seen in millions of years.

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/the ... da_was_und

And it doesn’t look like we’ll be stopping anytime soon.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 26 Apr 2017, 15:32:28

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/car ... 640a6b5177
Carbon Emissions Haven’t Been This High Since The Dinosaurs
A new study warns we’re entering “uncharted territory.”

The last time carbon emissions were this high, dinosaurs roamed the Earth.

And if that isn’t daunting enough, the human-driven release today is happening about 10 times faster than any event since that era, a new study has found.
“"If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money"”
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 26 Apr 2017, 22:56:54

More on crossing the 410 mark here: https://robertscribbler.com/2017/04/26/ ... ion-years/
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 28 Apr 2017, 09:35:40

April 27: 408.64 ppm
April 26: 412.63 ppm

April 25: 409.65 ppm
April 24: Unavailable
April 23: 409.65 ppm
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Fri 28 Apr 2017, 17:23:57

"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 01 May 2017, 08:35:31

April 30: 409.98 ppm
April 29: 409.46 ppm
April 28: 409.48 ppm
April 27: 408.64 ppm
April 26: 412.63 ppm
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 01 May 2017, 08:37:40

Week beginning on April 23, 2017: 409.92 ppm
Weekly value from 1 year ago: 407.67 ppm
Weekly value from 10 years ago: 386.85 ppm

Weekly number as close to 410 as I ever recall seeing it. Still 2 to 6 weeks to go before we peak and start dropping for the northern summer grow season.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 01 May 2017, 08:38:24

Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby pstarr » Mon 01 May 2017, 12:09:09

Wake me when we reach 1,200. I want to see a tyrannosaurus rex
Haven't you heard? I'm a doomer!
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby kiwichick » Mon 01 May 2017, 16:28:38

@ T.........are you not yet in the "growth season" ?

we had our first heavy ( white ) ground frost this morning, so definitely cooling down here in the deep south of NZ.
kiwichick
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 01 May 2017, 16:37:40

kiwichick wrote:@ T.........are you not yet in the "growth season" ?

we had our first heavy ( white ) ground frost this morning, so definitely cooling down here in the deep south of NZ.

here in Ohio about half of the trees have leaves well developed but the other half are still somewhere between buds and full leaves. Further north in Michigan and Canada the leaves are just starting to come out.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby kiwichick » Wed 03 May 2017, 03:47:35

@ T thanks......hope you have a pleasant spring.....and thanks for all the intelligent comments you bring us
kiwichick
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 03 May 2017, 14:00:58

on average climate change will disrupt forest ecosystems

Xiang Song, Xiaodong Zeng (2017), "Evaluating the responses of forest ecosystems to climate change and CO2 using dynamic global vegetation models", Ecology and Evolution, 7 (3): 997-1008

From the abstract:

The climate has important influences on the distribution and structure of forest ecosystems, which may lead to vital feedback to climate change. However, much of the existing work focuses on the changes in carbon fluxes or water cycles due to climate change and/or atmospheric CO 2, and few studies have considered how and to what extent climate change and CO 2 influence the ecosystem structure (e.g., fractional coverage change) and the changes in the responses of ecosystems with different characteristics.

In this work, two dynamic global vegetation models (DGVMs): IAP-DGVM coupled with CLM3 and CLM4-CNDV, were used to investigate the response of the forest ecosystem structure to changes in climate (temperature and precipitation) and CO 2 concentration.

In the temperature sensitivity tests, warming reduced the global area-averaged ecosystem gross primary production in the two models, which decreased global forest area.

Furthermore, the changes in tree fractional coverage (ΔFtree; %) from the two models were sensitive to the regional temperature and ecosystem structure, i.e., the mean annual temperature (MAT; °C) largely determined whether ΔFtree was positive or negative, while the tree fractional coverage (Ftree; %) played a decisive role in the amplitude of ΔFtree around the globe, and the dependence was more remarkable in IAP-DGVM. ...
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Thu 04 May 2017, 17:31:03

The effects of elevated carbon dioxide on our health
We know that four out of five mass extinction periods can be linked to sudden rises in atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations. In the ocean, acidification is thought to be a main factor in this, while temperature increases lead to mass extinctions both on land and in the ocean. However, what if carbon dioxide has a direct health effect on animals?

Studies suggest that elevated carbon dioxide concentrations can have detrimental effects on our health. One problem it appears to cause is oxidative stress, which is thought to underlie many of the health problems we face. Carbon dioxide exposure in an office environment at levels above 1000 parts per million leads to elevated levels of urinary 8-OHdG, compared to exposure at levels below 600 parts per million. The size of the effect is comparable to that of being a tobacco smoker. Other studies confirm that signs of oxidative stress begin to increase, long before concentrations of 1000 parts per million are reached.

If carbon dioxide exposure leads to increased urinary 8-OHdG levels, this is very worrying, as 8-OHdG is commonly used as an indicator of a variety of health problems. Elevated levels are indicative of atherosclerosis risk, cancer risk and complications seen in diabetes. Elevated levels of this marker of oxidative stress are also found in male patients suffering from low fertility. It’s notable that human sperm counts are believed to have decreased by 50% during the 20th century.

The question we have to ask ourselves is: What kind of future are we setting ourselves up for? Even our best case scenarios lead to levels above 500 parts per million, before 2100. Shell no longer believes that temperature increase will be kept below two degree Celsius, rather it predicts an increase of four degree Celsius, later rising to six degree Celsius.

A rise in temperatures by six degree Celsius, also means an increase in atmospheric carbon dioxide levels to above 1000 parts per million. In such a world, humans are chronically exposed to high levels that are known to detrimentally affect our mental abilities. We would feel continually uncomfortable and unable to think clearly. If carbon dioxide is responsible for oxidative stress symptoms, a world with such high CO2 concentrations would be one where people age prematurely and chronic disease affects us at ever younger ages. It’s difficult to see how humans could ever survive on such a planet.

link
Last edited by sjn on Fri 05 May 2017, 11:20:37, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Disabled smilies
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Squilliam » Thu 04 May 2017, 19:05:04

If this is true Cid then I wonder if it is linked with the recent research indication that sitting for long periods is linked with poor health/obesity. The one common link between that and CO2 could be that sitting is linked with being in places with relatively high CO2. Also if people raise their metabolic rate by moving about perhaps it reduces some of this by making activity levels match closer to percieved activity.
To use a keyboard is to be at war.
Squilliam
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Thu 04 May 2017, 22:54:23

Just noticed the accidental emoticons. Have no Idea how to make it NOT do that, so please refer to link for what that actually says.

Cid_Yama
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to Environment