Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Belgium Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Belgium Government Collapses

Unread postby Nickel » Sun 21 Dec 2008, 09:07:11

smallpoxgirl wrote:Canada's government hasn't been doing too good here recently either.

Au contraire. Belgium's having trouble putting just one government together... we've got two lined up and ready to go. :)
Nickel
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 21 Dec 2008, 10:50:13

You're right cube. Government is now in the business of taking all of our money and giving it to corrupt billionaires.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Tyler_JC » Sun 21 Dec 2008, 14:54:38

Belgium still has police, fire protection, etc. They just don't have a functioning Parliament and Prime Minister.

Parliamentary governments "collapse" all the time. If the Prime Minister is unable to maintain majority support in Parliament, he is forced to resign and the government is said to have collapsed.

But it doesn't mean that essential government services are suddenly shut off or that zombie hordes are rampaging the countryside.

The term "Collapse" is misleading in this instance. It conjures up images of the fall of Rome rather than just the fall of an unsuccessful politician.

The equivalent effect in US terms was 2006 when the Republican government "collapsed" and fell to Democratic control. (The Congress switched parties)
"www.peakoil.com is the Myspace of the Apocalypse."
Tyler_JC
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 21 Dec 2008, 18:00:03

Well, maybe more like in the '90s when the Rep's shut down government since they couldn't get their way. But clearly, lots of economies and governments are under enormous pressure.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby reuterrooter » Mon 22 Dec 2008, 01:39:36

One after another, each government will collapse, until, we will call for, a NEW WORLD ORDER. Ever hear that terminology before?
reuterrooter
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Mon 22 Dec 2008, 02:48:28

<i>Not to mention Belgian beer</i>

Don't forget feather bowling. Nothing I like better than Belgian Beer, a bucket of steamed mussels and a night of feather bowling.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Mon 22 Dec 2008, 02:57:29

In case anyone else was wondering: "Feather Bowling is a game played with wooden balls shaped like wheels of cheese. The balls are rolled down a dirt or synthetic alley towards a feather sticking out of the dirt at the other end. The object of the game is to get the ball as close to the feather as possible." wikipedia
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Mon 22 Dec 2008, 03:06:45

Cid_Yama wrote:<i>Not to mention Belgian beer</i>
Don't forget feather bowling. Nothing I like better than Belgian Beer, a bucket of steamed mussels and a night of feather bowling.

What about Eco-Villages? Do they have any of those cool Permaculture Tree Hugging Towns in Belgium? How do those places work when the Goobermint Collapses anyhow?

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Mon 22 Dec 2008, 03:08:29

"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby sameu » Mon 22 Dec 2008, 07:57:38

don't forget the diamonds (or what's left of it)
and chocolates

anyway, it's one hell of a political mess around here
sameu
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby InToWishin » Mon 22 Dec 2008, 09:58:26

Waffles, beer, puppies, diamonds, chocolate, bowling for feathers!

Please don't collapse, Belgium, we need you!
InToWishin
Peat
Peat

Unread postby MrBean » Mon 22 Dec 2008, 10:14:28

ReverseEngineer wrote:What about Eco-Villages? Do they have any of those cool Permaculture Tree Hugging Towns in Belgium? How do those places work when the Goobermint Collapses anyhow?

Found only one, in the making: Ecovillage
MrBean
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Golgo13 » Wed 24 Dec 2008, 10:36:50

InToWishin wrote:
Golgo13 wrote:Belgium doesn't exist, so it serves them right.

OH YEAH??? Then where to Belgian waffles come from, huh? Thought you were so smart. :razz:

Where do the waffles come from?

"Belgian Waffles," fabled for being superior to normal waffles, were actually created in New York in 1964 during the World's Fair. Then called "Bel-Gem" waffles, they were sold inside the four-acre Belgium Village, a "recreation" of a 19th century Belgium village. Actually, this was the first time in history that a Belgian village had ever been physically constructed.
Golgo13
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby InToWishin » Wed 24 Dec 2008, 13:10:18

Golgo13 wrote:
InToWishin wrote:
Golgo13 wrote:Belgium doesn't exist, so it serves them right.

OH YEAH??? Then where to Belgian waffles come from, huh? Thought you were so smart. :razz:

Where do the waffles come from?

"Belgian Waffles," fabled for being superior to normal waffles, were actually created in New York in 1964 during the World's Fair. Then called "Bel-Gem" waffles, they were sold inside the four-acre Belgium Village, a "recreation" of a 19th century Belgium village. Actually, this was the first time in history that a Belgian village had ever been physically constructed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke
InToWishin
Peat
Peat

Belgium will probably go bankrupt sooner or later.

Unread postby Southpaw » Fri 16 Jan 2009, 12:07:39

I'm from Belgium and I have this feeling that my country will go bankrupt soon. The reasons why I believe that are:
1: our debt is almost 100% of our GDP.

2: the two biggest banks FORTIS and DEXIA are technically broke.
Fortis is now almost part of PNB PARIBAS. and DEXIA gets life support from the french luxembourg and belgian goverments.

3. Our country is divided in 3 parts. Flanders, Brussels and Wallonia. Wallonia and Brussels have a really bad economy the unemployment rate is 19% and in some parts like Charleroi it's even 25%. And I see no reason they will ever get in better shape.
Flanders is the only part wich has an okay economy only 8.7% unemployment. But Flanders has to support the other half of our country and i doubt that they kan keep that up.

4. The difference between the Dutch speaking north and French speaking south is huge. They never agree with anything, that's why our goverment has to resign every 3 or 4 months lol.

5. Our major exports are cars and Chrysler, Ford, GM, are all shutting down for 4 weeks, and they probably will close for a longer time if the economy gets worse.

6. All the babyboomers in our country are retiring.

I personally believe If Belgium goes broke and we are entering a Depression then Belgium will fall apart. Flanders can't take the burden of Wallonia on it's own we are to small to keep them on life support. Anyone else who has an opinion about the economic situation in Belgium?
Sorry for the spelling mistakes I tried my best not to make too many lol.

Merged with THE Belgium Thread. -FL
Southpaw
Peat
Peat

Re: Belgium will probably go bankrupt sooner or later.

Unread postby jdmartin » Fri 16 Jan 2009, 12:44:32

Maybe they can split along linguistic lines and be absorbed by France & Holland?
After fueling up their cars, Twyman says they bowed their heads and asked God for cheaper gas.There was no immediate answer, but he says other motorists joined in and the service station owner didn't run them off.
jdmartin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Maddog78 » Fri 16 Jan 2009, 12:50:39

Yeah, it's too bad. We have linguistic and regional issues in Canada too as I'm sure you are aware.
Maybe splitting up is the answer.

I visited Gent back in 2000. I had a great time and enjoyed meeting the people and drinking the beer.
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Daniel_Plainview » Fri 16 Jan 2009, 13:02:40

Southpaw wrote:I'm from Belgium and I have this feeling that my country will go bankrupt soon. The reasons why I believe that are:
1: our debt is almost 100% of our GDP.
2: the two biggest banks FORTIS and DEXIA are technically broke.
Fortis is now almost part of PNB PARIBAS. and DEXIA gets life support from the french luxembourg and belgian goverments.
3. Our country is divided in 3 parts. Flanders, Brussels and Wallonia. Wallonia and Brussels have a really bad economy the unemployment rate is 19% and in some parts like Charleroi it's even 25%. And I see no reason they will ever get in better shape.
Flanders is the only part wich has an okay economy only 8.7% unemployment. But Flanders has to support the other half of our country and i doubt that they kan keep that up.
4. The difference between the Dutch speaking north and French speaking south is huge. They never agree with anything, that's why our goverment has to resign every 3 or 4 months lol.
5. Our major exports are cars and Chrysler, Ford, GM, are all shutting down for 4 weeks, and they probably will close for a longer time if the economy gets worse.
6. All the babyboomers in our country are retiring.

I personally believe If Belgium goes broke and we are entering a Depression then Belgium will fall apart. Flanders can't take the burden of Wallonia on it's own we are to small to keep them on life support. Anyone else who has an opinion about the economic situation in Belgium?
Sorry for the spelling mistakes I tried my best not to make too many lol.

The larger question is whether the euro can survive the breakdown of such debt-ridden nations as Belgium, Ireland, Spain, and Greece.
Daniel_Plainview
Prognosticator
Prognosticator

Location: 7035 Hollis ... Near the Observatory ... Just down the way, tucked back in the small woods

Unread postby retiredguy » Fri 16 Jan 2009, 13:03:20

Mmmmm. Belgian lambic. Mmmm.
retiredguy
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Southpaw » Fri 16 Jan 2009, 13:03:39

Maddog78 wrote:Yeah, it's too bad.We have linguistic and regional issues in Canada too as I'm sure you are aware.
Maybe splitting up is the answer.
I visited Gent back in 2000. I had a great time and enjoyed meeting the people and drinking the beer.

Yeah my french teacher talked about it.
we saw a documentation about canada's english and french speaking parts. But you guys have a lot of a autonomy between each other i think?

anyways it's not possible to create a country where people don't understand each other.

The only reason that keeps us together Is Brussels and they also are afraid that if Belgium Splits that the rest of Europe will follow.
Southpaw
Peat
Peat

PreviousNext

Return to Europe Discussion