Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Bees Thread (merged)

Moderator: Tanada

Re: THE Bees Thread (merged)

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 25 May 2017, 13:21:02

I was just now noticing how many flowers are out here in MN, but I have yet to see any bees.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 07 Jun 2017, 21:41:03

I saw a lone bee in my yard today. Rather surprised to even see that, actually, because not too many things are actually flowering there right now.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Thu 08 Jun 2017, 20:48:01

My yard is covered in native and European honey bees.
They are loving the Thai basil flowers at the moment I let it self seed and its everywhere.
When my fox tail palm flowered outside the bedroom window the buzz was beautifully loud ,its just let out another bract so should be flowering in weeks again
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Fission
Fission

Unread postby M_B_S » Wed 09 Aug 2017, 02:27:08

http://www.ansa.it/english/news/lifesty ... d2090.html

(ANSA) - Florence, August 8 -
Italian beekeepers association UNAAPI warned of a possible "environmental disaster" on Tuesday because the long drought and the intense 'Lucifer' heat wave have upset the nation's bees.

The association stressed that the problem does not just concern honey production, but was a much broader issue for the nation's agriculture and environment.
"There is the risk of an environmental disaster in Italy," UNAAPI said.
"Driven crazy by the climate, the bees don't just not produce honey (2017 production down by up to 80%), but they are unable to provide pollination services to agriculture. "(Because of the drought) the flowers no longer secrete nectar and pollen and plants, in particular trees, are in a perennial situation of suffering.
"The bees are no long sending warnings, but reports of a loss of fertility and incipient desertification". Farmers' association Coldiretti Tuesday said the weather meant Italy's honey production for 2017 will be around 10,000 tonnes, approximately half the average.

I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.

M_B_S
M_B_S
Fission
Fission

Unread postby farmlad » Wed 09 Aug 2017, 06:55:20

The problem with the bees is way more than just neonicotinoids, its also vast monocultures Herbicides and pesticides. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yOcXnlY60s&t=23s
farmlad
Coal
Coal

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 09 Aug 2017, 10:45:17

Thanks for that reminder, fl.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby M_B_S » Sat 30 Sep 2017, 07:46:43

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 093356.htm

A stinging report: Climate change a major threat to bumble bees
Date:
September 29, 2017
Source:
Florida State University
Summary:
New research is helping to explain the link between a changing global climate and a dramatic decline in bumble bee populations worldwide....

As researchers work toward a better understanding of climate change and its ecological effects, the link between pollinator health and shifting climate processes is becoming impossible to ignore.

"Pollinator species around the world have been declining, but we are still learning about what might be causing declines," said FSU Professor of Biological Science Nora Underwood, a coauthor of the study. "Although not all species are influenced in the same way, I was excited to be part of this study because we now have long-term data that shows changing climate is influencing bumble bees."

All things are connected .... the question is how?

M_B_S
M_B_S
Fission
Fission

Unread postby vox_mundi » Thu 05 Oct 2017, 18:25:38

Bee-Harming Pesticides in 75 Percent of Honey Worldwide

Traces of pesticides that act as nerve agents on bees have been found in 75 percent of honey worldwide, raising concern about the survival of these crucial crop pollinators, researchers said Thursday.

"Overall, 75 percent of all honey samples contained at least one neonicotinoid," said the study, led by Edward Mitchell of the University of Neuchatel in Switzerland.

"Of these contaminated samples, 30 percent contained a single neonicotinoid, 45 percent contained two or more, and 10 percent contained four or five."

The study found that 34 percent of honey samples were contaminated with "concentrations of neonicotinoids that are known to be detrimental" to bees, and warned that chronic exposure is a threat to bee survival.

The frequency of contamination was highest in the North American samples (86 percent), followed by Asia (80 percent) and Europe (79 percent).

The lowest concentrations were seen in South American samples (57 percent).

"These results suggest that a substantial proportion of world pollinators are probably affected by neonicotinoids," said the study.

"The levels detected are sufficient to affect bee brain function and may hinder their ability to forage on, and pollinate, our crops and our native plants."

Neonicotinoids have been declared a key factor in bee decline worldwide, and the European Union issued a partial ban on their use in 2013.
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Fission
Fission

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 06 Oct 2017, 01:37:33

Time to get real & bankrupt Monsanto. Not only ban their poisons & blackmail seeds, but make them pay compensation to the beekeepers, who have been suffering hugely the last decade or so.
SeaGypsy
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to Environment