Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE ASPO Thread Pt. 2

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

THE ASPO Thread Pt. 2

Unread postby Aaron » Mon 02 Jul 2007, 16:31:40

the strong growth we have been projecting for many years is intact.

What a tool
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Re: SPE debate on Peak Oil: CERA vs ASPO et al.

Unread postby Starvid » Tue 03 Jul 2007, 18:42:29

Their definition "liquids productive capacity" is not the same as the production of liquid fuels. Go figure.
Peak oil is not an energy crisis. It is a liquid fuel crisis.
Starvid
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

The Oil Drum: Steve Andrews of ASPO on CNBC

Unread postby Mechler » Tue 10 Jul 2007, 23:47:34

I'm stealing this from Graeme who stole it from Prof. Goose over at The Oil Drum, but I thought it should be discussed.

Here's Steve Andrews on CNBC

It's great that MSM is giving airtime to Steve Andrews, Boone Pickens, Matt Simmons, etc. Unfortunately, these guys are getting eaten alive by the suave analysts who, apparently, talk for a living.

I've talked with both Steve and Matt and seen them deliver presentations in person, and they're are both very intelligent and fairly well-spoken. However, it would be nice to have a real spokesperson go on TV and hand these pie-in-the-sky analysts their asses. From what I've seen, it has pretty much been the other way around. I know it's hard to break down PO into 10 second sound bites, but after watching an interview like this, who is Joe Public more apt to believe?

Personally, I'd like to see Randy Udall given some airtime. He really delivered one hell of a speech at the PO Conference last fall in Boston. Very impressive.

On another note, the analyst in this interview epitomizes the optimists view on energy. "Oh, we're in tight spot now, but the GOM and SA will save us." It's funny how people can see the same data and come to such completely different conclusions.
"It is certain that free societies would have no easy time in a future dark age. The rapid return to universal penury will be accomplished by violence and cruelties of a kind now forgotten." - Roberto Vacca, The Coming Dark Age
Mechler
Lignite
Lignite

Re: The Oil Drum: Steve Andrews of ASPO on CNBC

Unread postby turmoil » Wed 11 Jul 2007, 01:21:03

Mechler wrote:On another note, the analyst in this interview epitomizes the optimists view on energy. "Oh, we're in tight spot now, but the GOM and SA will save us." It's funny how people can see the same data and come to such completely different conclusions.

Yep. Thats just the way news channels do interview segments though. They get people who disagree (usually an extreme optimist on one side of this issue, like you mention), because it makes better TV. The conversation doesn't really lead anywhere, and people end up thinking "there's still debate so I don't have to think or worry about it."

A lot of things have to go right for production to remain flat or higher to ~2012 because the supply of light sweet is in decline and the huge fields are in serious decline. Refineries will be blamed (as they are now) because there won't be enough processing bandwidth for the heavy crude. But the underlying cause will be clear.

Prices will have to move much higher to constrain demand. This first wave of price hikes to ~$70 is pricing countries like Zimbabwe out of the market. How high will the price have to go to reduce the demand of North America, Europe, and Asia? And we are no longer talking about slowing the growth rate. We are talking total demand reduction...as in negative growth...
"If you are a real seeker after truth, it's necessary that at least once in your life you doubt all things as far as possible"-Rene Descartes

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains however improbable must be the truth"-Sherlock Holmes
turmoil
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ozkrenske » Wed 11 Jul 2007, 02:26:21

Wow,

The no problem points seem to be, Huge find in GOM, Canada, Big increase in Russian Oil, SA to go to 12mbd, report assumes no major slowdown in demand.

So we will be saved by really expensive oil in the GOM, Massive investment in Tar sands and the existing exporters refusing to supply their own domestic markets to shove more oil to the US. If these are all going to happen in the next 5 years (very very fast) we will still be no better than now and that will not take oil field decline into account either.

As to demand, well yes, the report has to assume something, they could assume demand will stand still or halve but how likely is that. Personally I'd like all reports out of government and intergovernment organisations to assume best case, worst case and middle of the road, but they don't.

I liked the size of tap quote as well, it sort of snuck in there and may pick away at some listeners minds and cause them to investigate.

Personally though the attention not being given to a report that effectively reverses the position of a major authority is quite humerous. It's like there are lots of people walking around with hands over their ears going 'nah nah nah nah' and only a few reports so they can cover their asses later on.
ozkrenske
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby ozkrenske » Wed 11 Jul 2007, 02:40:15

By the way and this is probably off topic (it is, not probably), Zimbabwe made the news this morning with some marvelous quotes regarding the hyper inflation. Mugabe is blaming the store owners and demanding they halve their prices or be shot. Some of the quotes from people in the street are amazing.

'A banana costs more today than my house did four years ago'

'It cost me 4 times more than my weekly salary to buy 5 liters of petrol'

'The black market money traders are no longer swapping foreign currency for any amount of Zimbabwe currency.'

'I sold a bag of potato's today and paid off all my debts and bills but I couldn't afford a bag of corn meal this afternoon as it had doubled in price since this morning.'

Apparently Botswana and South Africa are preparing to step in and allow the use of their currency but only if the entire Zimbabwean finance ministry effectively ceases to exist and they get to run the economy for 5 years. Oh and also Mugabe has to go. That is so not likely to happen, in Africa that would only happen after the population has seen an involuntary reduction of 30% or more.
ozkrenske
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby IslandCrow » Wed 11 Jul 2007, 06:30:47

ozkrenske wrote: That is so not likely to happen, in Africa that would only happen after the population has seen an involuntary reduction of 30% or more.

In 2006 Zimbabwe had a population of around 13.1 million people. I remember reading recently that over 3 million Zimbabweans had left the country because of the situation. Although as of 2006, despite all the emigration the population was still rising because of high birth rate.

3 out of 16.1 million gives under 19%. Still a long way to go before we test your theory of 30% population reduction triggering a political reaction.

This is noting that in the initial stages of a country collapsing the population reduction seems to be mainly by migration, and not by any 'die-off'.
We should teach our children the 4-Rs: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Rejoice.
IslandCrow
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby whereagles » Wed 11 Jul 2007, 17:18:46

that guy mugabe is totally nuts. when is the US going to "liberate" zimbabwe??
whereagles
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Did anybody get tazed at the ASPO conference?

Unread postby MattSavinar » Fri 21 Sep 2007, 14:23:26

Just wondering. It's no fun, after all, untill somebody gets tazed.

[smilie=5shocking.gif]
MattSavinar
Elite
Elite

Re: Did anybody get tazed at the ASPO conference?

Unread postby EndOfGrowth » Fri 21 Sep 2007, 14:31:42

It's shocking, did you get tazed?
Machines are what distinguish modern man from the savage.
EndOfGrowth
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby UncoveringTruths » Fri 21 Sep 2007, 14:37:25

I think everyone should go out and by a tazer so we can sit around the campfire tazing each other and have good ole time. [smilie=5shocking.gif]
It's a cold cold world when a man has to pawn his shoes.
UncoveringTruths
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dunewalker » Fri 21 Sep 2007, 14:38:18

Colin Campbell: "Don't taze me, Bro!"
"Wilderness is another civilization apart from our own." - H.D. Thoreau
dunewalker
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cyrus » Fri 21 Sep 2007, 14:43:57

Is this some kind of inside joke that people who didn't attend will not understand?
Cyrus
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby whereagles » Fri 21 Sep 2007, 14:52:23

no. taser is some new kind of electromagnetic weapon used in riot control.

Being tased is like being shocked (literally)

DISCLAIMER: the above corresponds solely to a conjecture by the author, who rejects any responsibility in eventual misinformation to others. (Gotta be legalist on this stuff... lol)
whereagles
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby EndOfGrowth » Fri 21 Sep 2007, 15:17:38

whereagles wrote:no. taser is some new kind of electromagnetic weapon used in riot control.

Being tased is like being shocked (literally)

The tazer is not much different to a cattle prod. Bzzzzzd-baaah-bzzzd
Machines are what distinguish modern man from the savage.
EndOfGrowth
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby MattSavinar » Fri 21 Sep 2007, 16:12:11

Cyrus wrote:Is this some kind of inside joke that people who didn't attend will not understand?

I didn't attend myself. Mostly out of fear of being tazed.
MattSavinar
Elite
Elite

Unread postby drew » Fri 21 Sep 2007, 16:30:07

If you're gonna try it just make sure you have one of those ressuccitation machines nearby. I'm sure the 'jack ass' crowd has already been there!

Drew
drew
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby bartholland » Fri 21 Sep 2007, 17:02:18

Nothing to worry about, just don't be so foolish as to ask questions to politicians:

no critical questions please
bartholland
Peat
Peat

Unread postby roccman » Fri 21 Sep 2007, 18:52:40

MattSavinar wrote:Just wondering. It's no fun, after all, untill somebody gets tazed.

[smilie=5shocking.gif]

Wasn't too bad.
"There must be a bogeyman; there always is, and it cannot be something as esoteric as "resource depletion." You can't go to war with that." Emersonbiggins
roccman
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby julianj » Sat 22 Sep 2007, 05:22:44

It certainly beats having to answer pernickety questioners. Perhaps this freedom-of-speech thing is overated, don't you think?

......AAAAAAAAAAAAGH! ZAAAPPPP!!! [smilie=5shocking.gif]
julianj
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion