Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Arctic Oil Thread (merged)

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Unread postby dinopello » Fri 28 Oct 2005, 08:23:03

Justin Blum who has written a couple articles on oil supply issues will be hosting a live discussion today, 10/28/05, at 10 AM Link

[edited by MQ for clarity}
Last edited by Ferretlover on Mon 02 Jan 2012, 21:17:37, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Merged with THE Arctic Oil Thread.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: 10AM Wash Post dicussion on Oil Co. Profits and Artic Dr

Unread postby dinopello » Fri 28 Oct 2005, 11:09:24

The discussion was pretty good. This exchange was great :)

Arlington, VA: I spend more on coffee than gas. I think prices of coffee are too high and Starbucks is making too much profit. Yet, the media basically ignore this travesty.

<<snip>>

Washington, DC: The coffee comparison is a bit off. Oil is a necessary commodity in our economy and society. At the end of the day coffee is a pleasure and the consumer has the option to buy coffee. On the other hand, oil is not an option for the large majority of Americans, it is a necessary and vital product for survival.

<<snip>>

Arlington, VA: I'm "the coffee" guy. No, actually I am -addicted- to coffee and must have it, so for me it is not a choice. I blame big coffee for taking advantage of me and the government for not doing anything. I walk to work, so the gas thing is not such an issue.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Wash Post discussion on Oil Profits and Arctic Drilling

Unread postby BabyPeanut » Fri 28 Oct 2005, 15:35:42

Move to Costa Rica and grow your own damn coffee. :lol:
BabyPeanut
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Wash Post discussion on Oil Profits and Arctic Drilling

Unread postby nth » Fri 28 Oct 2005, 19:02:41

BP,

The same can be said about energy and oil.
You can generate your own energy and use electric vehicles.
Maybe we will all need to buy solar panels and wind mills to power our own houses and electric cars.

It is feasible.

Now about that EROIE....
nth
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby lorenzo » Sat 29 Oct 2005, 14:31:33

The BBC has a series of basic articles about exploration in the Arctic. According to some estimates, more than a quarter of the world's undiscovered oil and gas resources lie in that region. The hunt is on.

1. Very interesting text about the diplomatic problems that go along with exploring this region:
The Arctic's new gold rush

2. About the potential of the region (it holds the world's largest gas field, 3.2 trillion cubic metres of gas - that's 113 trillion cubic feet in one single field!), and the fact that the Arctic Gold Rush may change the world's power balance:
Arctic exploration creates new alliances

I wonder how this all fits into the Peak Oil scenario's and data.
Last edited by Ferretlover on Wed 08 Apr 2009, 19:10:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merge thread.
lorenzo
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Arctic exploration

Unread postby FireJack » Sat 29 Oct 2005, 15:55:56

I always thought canada as owning the artic but I forget its all water and no one really owns it. I see greed playing a big part in this even though a proper agreement would be far more benificial. If natural gas and oil prices skyrocket I can see this going ugly.
FireJack
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Arctic exploration

Unread postby fossilnut2 » Sat 29 Oct 2005, 17:27:11

FireJack wrote:I always thought canada as owning the artic but I forget its all water and no one really owns it. I see greed playing a big part in this even though a proper agreement would be far more benificial. If natural gas and oil prices skyrocket I can see this going ugly.

'The Arctic' is a huge area and certainly isn't 'all water'. Russia would set off some might big fireworks if anyone forgot that they owned their part of it. Also, some of the world's biggest islands, Greenland, Ellesmere, Victoria etc. are part of the Arctic and are called islands because they are not water.

The Canadian Islands of Ellesmere and Victoria, for example are each about the size of the island of Britain.
fossilnut2
Lignite
Lignite

No Delay For Arctic Oil-Devt Plan

Unread postby Graeme » Thu 30 Mar 2006, 07:07:21

No Delay For Arctic Oil-Devt Plan

Norway's Deputy Oil Minister Anita Utseth said Thursday the government's long-term Arctic management plan won't be delayed, as some industry experts expected, and will be published before Easter.

Norway, the world's third-largest oil and seventh-largest gas exporter, sees the Norwegian side of the Barents Sea and unexplored parts of the Norwegian Sea as the final petroleum provinces, as output on the rest of the continental shelf matures.

Key to the plan, which will also take into account fishing and environmental issues in ecologically sensitive areas, will be five exploration and development blocks announced in the 19th licensing round. They lie between Statoil's (STO) 200- billion-cubic-meter Snoehvit gas field and Eni SPA's (E) (E) 250-million-barrel Goliat field in the Barents, as well as the most sought after acreage around the Lofoten Islands in the Norwegian Sea.

IWON
Last edited by Ferretlover on Wed 08 Apr 2009, 19:11:49, edited 1 time in total.
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Arctic contains creamy center.

Unread postby killJOY » Fri 02 Jun 2006, 10:07:01

Are we technologically "advanced" monkeys searching for the Hoily Groil Up North any more advanced than the medieval monks hot after the True Foreskin of the Christ???

Oyl vey.
If the oil exists, it would probably take decades to develop techniques for exploiting such midocean deposits, Brinkhuis and other scientists said. Still, a quarter of the world's undiscovered oil and gas resources lie in the Arctic, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

My favorite thing: putting a number on a "resource" that HASN'T EVEN BEEN DISCOVERED..
Last edited by Ferretlover on Wed 08 Apr 2009, 19:26:36, edited 1 time in total.
Peak oil = comet Kohoutek.
killJOY
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Arctic contains creamy center.

Unread postby Zardoz » Fri 02 Jun 2006, 10:18:00

Perfect. Global Warming will melt the entire Arctic ice cap for us, clearing the way for the rigs.

We're saved.

Of course, by then the sea level will be about thirty meters higher, and a few people will need to move inland a bit, but that will be a small price to pay for having enough gasoline for we 'Murikans, the Chinese, and the Indians.

I knew things would work out for us.
"Thank you for attending the oil age. We're going to scrape what we can out of these tar pits in Alberta and then shut down the machines and turn out the lights. Goodnight." - seldom_seen
Zardoz
Expert
Expert

Unread postby basil_hayden » Fri 02 Jun 2006, 11:18:52

Damn, I was hoping for the caramel center.
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Fri 02 Jun 2006, 12:11:34

Still, a quarter of the world's undiscovered oil and gas resources lie in the Arctic

If only a QUARTER of the undiscovered oil and gas is up there, them where is the other THREE QUARTERS of the undiscovered oil and gas ? Seems hardly worth the trouble for just just a quarter of the undiscovered reserves.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby lateStarter » Fri 02 Jun 2006, 15:14:05

dinopello wrote:
Still, a quarter of the world's undiscovered oil and gas resources lie in the Arctic

If only a QUARTER of the undiscovered oil and gas is up there, them where is the other THREE QUARTERS of the undiscovered oil and gas ? Seems hardly worth the trouble for just just a quarter of the undiscovered reserves.

The other 3/4ths is located on the moon and Mars... Have fun...
We have been brought into the present condition in which we are unable neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them. - Livy
lateStarter
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby FoxV » Fri 02 Jun 2006, 15:16:56

I wonder it they'll find much oil in the Nuanvit islands.

That would be some nice irony. Quiet the indians by giving them the least valueable land in the country only to find it has a major oil deposit.

oh well I'm sure the government will just tax the money out of them anyways
Angry yet?
FoxV
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Fri 02 Jun 2006, 15:26:55

lateStarter wrote:
dinopello wrote:

The other 3/4ths is located on the moon and Mars... Have fun...

Yes, probably right. That would explain this article

http://www.slate.com/id/2094103/
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby lateStarter » Fri 02 Jun 2006, 15:27:38

Could someone please explain to me what is wrong with the idea of conservation? Why is that such a hard concept for humans to accept? (Actually, that is a rhetorical question...)
We have been brought into the present condition in which we are unable neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them. - Livy
lateStarter
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby PenultimateManStanding » Fri 02 Jun 2006, 15:56:20

"Arctic contains creamy center." Well, it's hasn't melted yet, so that means... ice cream! Let them eat ice cream and cake.
PenultimateManStanding
Expert
Expert

Unread postby uNkNowN ElEmEnt » Fri 02 Jun 2006, 16:15:56

Not that it is much of a consideration but the artic is already claimed but Denmark and CAnada. It has been for years and no one has ever contested this. That's why we regularly patrol the arctic.
uNkNowN ElEmEnt
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Novus » Fri 02 Jun 2006, 18:43:13

dinopello wrote:If only a QUARTER of the undiscovered oil and gas is up there, them where is the other THREE QUARTERS of the undiscovered oil and gas ? Seems hardly worth the trouble for just just a quarter of the undiscovered reserves.

I would say the rest in In deep Ocean fields thousands of miles from land.
Novus
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Next

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics