Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Arctic Oil Thread (merged)

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Re: US Geological Survey---Arctic Contains 13% of Worlds Oil

Unread postby Maddog78 » Fri 29 May 2009, 08:28:57

Can it be extracted profitably, and in a way that doesn't take more energy to get it than you get from it.

The first part of this sentence is correct and the only thing that matters to the companies that will produce this oil & gas.
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Maddog78 » Fri 29 May 2009, 08:39:16

deMolay wrote:Yes we have 200 and Fiddy overweight Inuit blubber eaters on broken down skidoos with WW2 era .303 rifles who went on patrol recently and had to be rescued. We have 2 used Diesel electric submarines we purchased from the Brits and they have been in the shipyards for repair ever since. We have 40 year old Seaking Helicopters that could fall out of the sky at any moment and kill great numbers of the enemy. I dare you to cross this line, well actually I meant that line. No not that one, this one. The offical plan is for the 200 and Fiddy Blubber eaters to take prisoners. Hold them and make them eat blubber raw, or marry one of their fat blubber eating toothless women, until they promise to never return to the Arctic.

Bwahahaaaaaahaaaaa.

This is a direct result of 25 or more years of neglecting our military by mostly the Liberals.
I think Harper's Cons. have plans to build a bunch of new ships that can operate up there but I can't recall the details off the top of my head.
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 29 May 2009, 08:43:43

ian807 wrote:Might be true, but it's the same old story. Can it be extracted profitably, and in a way that doesn't take more energy to get it than you get from it. We have oil in the lower 48. Oil Sands. The Bakken formation. Absent of some technological breakthrough, it's still useless as a source of profitable, energy positive oil.

The Bitumen Sands 'tar sand/oil sand' breakthrough was made several years ago and has proven itself to be quite viable, its is called THAI and there are two or three threads about it here on PO.com. Just do a search on THAI and you will find them.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby deMolay » Fri 29 May 2009, 14:24:36

This is actually the breakthrough patented process. It produces hi quality synthetic crude at 5 to 9 dollars a barrel. The water is recycled over and over again, and it uses gas produced from the crude. http://www.longlake.ca/project/technology.asp
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Maddog78 » Fri 29 May 2009, 15:01:09

Don't break pstarr's bubble.
He doesn't want to believe in any of these new techs.
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby kiwichick » Fri 29 May 2009, 20:36:49

how does this survey compare to their earlier (2000???) survey?!!
kiwichick
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Maddog78 » Fri 29 May 2009, 20:46:34

pstarr wrote:
Maddog78 wrote:Don't break pstarr's bubble.
You want to buy some patented exciting new real estate? I'm building it right now. Just send me a check and I'll fill you in on the details. Okay?

Sure, just hook me up with a 0/40 mortgage. :)
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby shortonsense » Sat 30 May 2009, 01:16:08

Maddog78 wrote:Don't break pstarr's bubble.

You mean, like when Americans stopped using the Chinese invented cable tool rigs? Or when everyone stopped using bamboo to drill the wells with?
shortonsense
Permanently Banned

Unread postby kiwichick » Mon 01 Jun 2009, 20:48:55

are you dixheads listening????????????

i'll ask again; how does this new survey of the arctic compare to the 2000 guessitmate??
kiwichick
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby shortonsense » Mon 01 Jun 2009, 22:19:15

kiwichick wrote:are you dixheads listening????????????

i'll ask again; how does this new survey of the arctic compare to the 2000 guessitmate??

I don't even realize they did the Arctic in 2000? At least not all of it like this time?
shortonsense
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Maddog78 » Tue 02 Jun 2009, 16:17:10

kiwichick wrote:are you dixheads listening????????????

No. You use too many question marks.
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: THE Arctic Oil Thread (merged)

Unread postby Maddog78 » Sun 26 Jul 2009, 18:11:38

http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/abc/home/contentposting.aspx?isfa=1&feedname=CTV-TOPSTORIES_V3&showbyline=True&date=true&newsitemid=CTVNews%2f20090726%2farctic_conflict_090726

In a political show of force, Indian and Northern Affairs Minister Chuck Strahl, Foreign Affairs Minister Lawrence Cannon and Science and Technology Minister Gary Goodyear all spoke at a press conference to outline the report, entitled "Canada's Northern Strategy: Our North, Our Heritage, Our Future."

"This document further articulates our vision for the North and highlights the extensive and growing progress to date, including major investments under Canada's Economic Action Plan," Strahl told reporters at the Canadian Museum of Civilization in Gatineau, Que.

The report outlines four pillars of the government's Northern strategy: Arctic sovereignty, promoting social and economic development, protecting the North's environmental heritage and improving Northern governance.

Strahl and the other ministers also unveiled an official website (northernstrategy.gc.ca) that will contain up-to-date information on Arctic policy.

Some elements of the plan were announced last summer during several high-profile trips to the region by senior government officials, including Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

New government plans included an economic development agency and improved regulatory processes, to boost investor confidence in the North.

Plans for a new state-of-the-art icebreaker, to be named for former prime minister John Diefenbaker, were also outlined.

The announcement comes as five countries continue to haggle over who has control of the Arctic basin.

Canada, the U.S., Denmark, Norway and Russia are all surveying the region ahead of a 2013 deadline to make a formal claim to the area.

During last summer's Arctic visits, the federal government announced plans to ratchet up military operations in the North, by promising new northern warships and a dedicated Arctic unit.

Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Canada threatens Russia with cold war over Arctic Oil

Unread postby Nickel » Mon 27 Jul 2009, 12:22:39

Maddog78 wrote:I personally have worked in the Beaufort Sea onboard the Kulluk and Molikpaq for Gulf Oil and the Explorer II Drill Ship for Dome Petroleum in the mid 80's.

http://www.oilrig-photos.com/picture/number129.asp

http://www.frontier-drill.com/Fleet/Kul ... fault.aspx

Which one are you? The guy standing on the deck hosing away the seagull poop or the guy waving with the "If I wanna stand here and listen to an a$$hole, I'll fart" hat? :)
Nickel
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Russia set to grab Arctic Oil and Gas

Unread postby Nickel » Mon 27 Jul 2009, 12:26:37

AgentR wrote:I'd much rather the Russians get it that the Canadians! At least the Russians are fairly straightforward about their trade practices. Canada screws you out of everything coming and going, while smiling and say, "are we such pleasant people..."

Yeah, go sing it to the softwood lumber industry, Yankee.
Nickel
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Russia set to grab Arctic Oil and Gas

Unread postby Nickel » Mon 27 Jul 2009, 12:30:14

AgentR wrote:My point is lost on the Canadian fan club here.

No, it's been noted and refuted; that's a different thing.

AgentR wrote:My complaints are with what Canada did/does do with regards to IMPORTS INTO CANADA.
Not whether or not Canada exports into the US.

Again, to hum a few bars of "poor, poor USA" to the softwood lumber industry. Not to mention the WTO.
Nickel
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: THE Arctic Oil Thread (merged)

Unread postby dissident » Thu 30 Jul 2009, 09:25:06

As usual, cold war hysterics and no context. As per the USGS report, over 80% of the potential fossil fuel reserves are located within Russia's 200 nautical mile limit (Russia has islands in the Arctic Sea basin that expand its economic zone over most of the Asian Arctic shelf). But to listen to the NATO media whine you would think that Russia is about to grab Canadian and American shelf resources. There is basically no shelf to the north of the Canadian Arctic islands. The whole fight over the north pole is a complete joke (look up the bathymetry). Given the hostile NATO propaganda about Arctic oil and gas, Russia has no choice but to defend ITS shelf resources from a NATO grab. If NATO was not interested in grabbing Russia's resources then why all the spewage and lies?
dissident
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics