Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Arctic Oil Thread (merged)

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Re: Russia set to grab Arctic Oil and Gas

Unread postby Maddog78 » Wed 01 Apr 2009, 15:00:31

AgentR wrote:I'd much rather the Russians get it that the Canadians! At least the Russians are fairly straightforward about their trade practices. Canada screws you out of everything coming and going, while smiling and say, "are we such pleasant people..."

Bwahahaaaa, that's awesome. I've heard Canadians accused of a lot of things but being tough businessmen is one I've not often heard. Thanks, I know quite a few people here who would take that as a compliment. :-D
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby AgentR » Wed 01 Apr 2009, 15:51:04

Exemplar.
Canadian PR.. Hard at work.
You guys really have no shame, do you.
Yes, we are. As we are.
And so shall we remain; Until the end.
AgentR
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Maddog78 » Wed 01 Apr 2009, 16:44:55

I know there has to be a story behind your disdain for Canucks.
I'm curious as to what it is?
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby AgentR » Wed 01 Apr 2009, 19:21:39

Its mostly just in fun, but the rules that prohibited import of grain into Canada really struck me as over the top obscene. Then they make wild axe claims to sea floor resources they are in no position to do anything with... Then they make wild axe accusations when it comes to oceanic fishing..

Just little dips and dabs, all with a pleasant smile.
Yes, we are. As we are.
AgentR
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dbruning » Wed 01 Apr 2009, 19:50:03

Right, because when things get tough you expect the Russians will be more likely to work in your interests than us Canadians?

Nice.
dbruning
Coal
Coal

Unread postby AgentR » Wed 01 Apr 2009, 20:06:58

dbruning wrote:Right, because when things get tough you expect the Russians will be more likely to work in your interests than us Canadians?Nice.

There's no "interests" to be served here; only oil and resources brought to market. As long as the stuff makes it to market, it serves everyones interests. At least with the Russians, they cheat you straight up.
Yes, we are. As we are.
AgentR
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby bencole » Wed 01 Apr 2009, 20:27:48

AgentR wrote:
dbruning wrote:Right, because when things get tough you expect the Russians will be more likely to work in your interests than us Canadians?Nice.

There's no "interests" to be served here; only oil and resources brought to market. As long as the stuff makes it to market, it serves everyones interests. At least with the Russians, they cheat you straight up.

Hello, anyone home? do some research please. All pipelines in Canada flow south. We are using huge amounts of natgas and fresh water to subsidize the export of tar sands syncrude to the USA, so that Americans can continue to enjoy their driving habits cheaply, most of the Canadian economy is geared towards providing cheap resources and energy to Americans first, and at a lower price then Canadians have to pay. Also from what I heard, Russia is on the verge of becoming a net energy importer in the near future, so they soon won't be able to bring any oil to market.
bencole
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby AgentR » Wed 01 Apr 2009, 20:34:06

My point is lost on the Canadian fan club here.
Sigh.

My complaints are with what Canada did/does do with regards to IMPORTS INTO CANADA.
Not whether or not Canada exports into the US.
Yes, we are. As we are.
AgentR
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby bencole » Wed 01 Apr 2009, 21:23:32

AgentR wrote:
My complaints are with what Canada did/does do with regards to IMPORTS INTO CANADA.

I'm going to help you out with your research, ever hear of something called NAFTA?

http://www.nafta-sec-alena.org/

The US and Canada have the largest trade relationship in the entire world, combined bilateral trade is almost $600 billion per year. Also trade with Canada directly supports over 7 million jobs in the USA. You have no idea what you are talking about if you insist Canada puts up unfair barriers to trade with the USA.
bencole
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Canada threatens Russia with cold war over Arctic Oil

Unread postby sparky » Fri 03 Apr 2009, 19:13:55

Hello Maddog , good to see an offshore man , did some rotation on the Frigg field in the North sea some years back , the pay was most excellent

plantagenet Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:00 am

I wonder if the subs will pick up Russia's titanium flag that it has already planted there
on the Arctic Ocean sea-floor to claim ownership

http://adventure.nationalgeographic.com ... sians-text

this was a Swedish / Australian expedition with the Russians trailing along
in a radio interview given to the Aust. Broad. Comm.
Mike Mc Dowell affirmed having put an Australian flag on the sea bed too

planting a flag is not a territorial claim per see ,
the U.S. do not claim the moon for having put their flag there ,

It's a claim of having been there !
negotiation on the arctic will follow the usual poker game , claim counter claim
historical reach ( guess the nationality of Lomonosov )

it will end up with mineral exploitation rights officially granted
with the north pole as a fixed geographic origin of the lines of claims
Russia and Canada don't really have any disagreement on the sharing of the pie
The U.S. will probably delay the proceeding some , until oil scarcity start to bite
the only tricky part is around the Spitsbergen archipelago and the Greenland /Danish/Russian line
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: THE Arctic Oil Thread (merged)

Unread postby Maddog78 » Mon 25 May 2009, 09:17:02

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Politics/2009/05/24/9554766-cp.html

Canada edging Russia in Arctic mapping

By Bob Weber, THE CANADIAN PRESS

The beaver is starting to push back against the bear in the debate over who controls the top of the world.

Federal officials have confirmed that Canada's Arctic mapping flights have ventured beyond the North Pole into areas claimed by Russia. The flights are the first step towards building a case that Canada's Arctic sovereignty could reach past the Pole despite Russia's determination to extend its own northern footprint.

"We are surveying where appropriate to define the outer limits of Canada's continental shelf," Jacob Verhoef, the Natural Resources Canada geophysicist in charge of the project told The Canadian Press in an email.

snip---------------------------------------------------------------------

Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

US Geological Survey---Arctic Contains 13% of Worlds Oil

Unread postby deMolay » Thu 28 May 2009, 21:10:40

Boy this could bring on Resource Wars. link
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: US Geological Survey---Arctic Contains 13% of Worlds Oil

Unread postby FireJack » Thu 28 May 2009, 21:59:25

I'd love to know where exactly, and how much. In 1 oil field, what kind of field(s)? Seems like a pretty vague claim to make everyone feel that oil depletion will not be a problem. Getting oil out of the arctic may not be worth is regardless of how much there is.
FireJack
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby deMolay » Thu 28 May 2009, 22:04:14

Well with the Ice Melting this will be the last big Bonanza. Russia, the USA, the EU and Canada are already sabre rattling.
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ian807 » Thu 28 May 2009, 22:54:16

Might be true, but it's the same old story. Can it be extracted profitably, and in a way that doesn't take more energy to get it than you get from it. We have oil in the lower 48. Oil Sands. The Bakken formation. Absent of some technological breakthrough, it's still useless as a source of profitable, energy positive oil.
ian807
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Mettezz » Fri 29 May 2009, 00:36:02

one word "usgs" did the research they are even worse then cera. maybe U.S.A. wants to start a war in the artic with Russia to save the polar bears from communism?
Mettezz
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Tyler_JC » Fri 29 May 2009, 00:46:58

What's so bad about the USGS?

They make estimates of oil resources.

It's up to the oil companies to come up with estimates of economically recoverable oil.
"www.peakoil.com is the Myspace of the Apocalypse."
Tyler_JC
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 29 May 2009, 06:05:38

From the article:
It added, however, that the estimates are not large enough to shift the world oil balance, but would merely produce incremental barrels for the world markets for many decades.

So it's positioning for the future, but it's not any kind of volume solution for the near term.

And as for sabre rattling.. Canada has sabres to rattle?
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby deMolay » Fri 29 May 2009, 06:26:16

Yes we have 200 and Fiddy overweight Inuit blubber eaters on broken down skidoos with WW2 era .303 rifles who went on patrol recently and had to be rescued. We have 2 used Diesel electric submarines we purchased from the Brits and they have been in the shipyards for repair ever since. We have 40 year old Seaking Helicopters that could fall out of the sky at any moment and kill great numbers of the enemy. I dare you to cross this line, well actually I meant that line. No not that one, this one. The offical plan is for the 200 and Fiddy Blubber eaters to take prisoners. Hold them and make them eat blubber raw, or marry one of their fat blubber eating toothless women, until they promise to never return to the Arctic.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 29 May 2009, 08:13:35

deMolay wrote:Yes we have 200 and Fiddy overweight Inuit blubber eaters on broken down skidoos with WW2 era .303 rifles who went on patrol recently and had to be rescued. We have 2 used Diesel electric submarines we purchased from the Brits and they have been in the shipyards for repair ever since. We have 40 year old Seaking Helicopters that could fall out of the sky at any moment and kill great numbers of the enemy. I dare you to cross this line, well actually I meant that line. No not that one, this one. The offical plan is for the 200 and Fiddy Blubber eaters to take prisoners. Hold them and make them eat blubber raw, or marry one of their fat blubber eating toothless women, until they promise to never return to the Arctic.

Nah, just get Celine Dion up there singin on the line, that should hold the ruskies at bay. :-D

Or better yet, let us Americans watch your oil for ya. You can trust, honest. 8)
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics