Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Alternative Energy (general) Thread pt 3(merged)

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: THE Alternative Energy (general) Thread pt 3(merged)

Unread postby baha » Mon 13 Nov 2017, 06:56:11

There is so much could'a, would'a, should'a in that article is has no meaning. The FF industry is the last people who have a clue about an energy transition. Their first and worst assumption is continued BAU.

In order for them to enter the alt industry they need to think like a startup...They would have to dedicate huge amounts of capital and give zero dividends until they have a decent foothold. It just ain't gonna happen. Their shareholders won't allow it.

I strongly feel there will be so many curve balls thrown at us in the next 20 years, any 20 year projection is useless...The FF industry needs to do what they do for as long as they can and let people with vision worry about the future.
A Solar fuel spill is otherwise known as a sunny day!
The energy density of a tank of FF's doesn't matter if it's empty.

https://monitoringpublic.solaredge.com/solaredge-web/p/kiosk?guid=19844186-d749-40d6-b848-191e899b37db
baha
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby baha » Mon 13 Nov 2017, 20:13:05

baha wrote:They would have to dedicate huge amounts of capital and give zero dividends until they have a decent foothold. It just ain't gonna happen. Their shareholders won't allow it.

OK, There you go. No sooner said than done.

GE announced today they will half their dividends and reallocate capital. Including a major investment in wind energy and batteries. It seems the new CEO may actually have vision. But the shareholders are not happy.

Here is a stodgy old company that just happens to be in the right industry...Electricity...If they can trim the fat and re-focus their efforts they may survive. And I may invest...
A Solar fuel spill is otherwise known as a sunny day!
The energy density of a tank of FF's doesn't matter if it's empty.

https://monitoringpublic.solaredge.com/solaredge-web/p/kiosk?guid=19844186-d749-40d6-b848-191e899b37db
baha
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

In 2017, The Myth of Powering the World with 100% Renewables

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 05 Jan 2018, 20:12:12

When thinking about 2017, it is easy to see the bankruptcy of Westinghouse and the subsequent cancellation of its Summer project in South Carolina as this year’s big issue. But as the year has drawn to a close, the continuation of its AP1000 project at Plant Vogtle in Georgia has been approved by the regulator and there is every expectation that Westinghouse will emerge from bankruptcy in 2018. So while important, to us there is a much more important defining issue for 2017. It is the very real start of a movement that recognizes that powering the world with 100% renewables is a myth – and that chasing a myth will not get us to our global goal of meeting the world’s increasing energy needs while reducing carbon emissions and successfully combating climate change. There were a number of defining moments in

In 2017, The Myth of Powering the World with 100% Renewables Has Started to Crack
Peak oil in 2020: And here is why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3ttqYDwF0
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 06 Jan 2018, 19:48:52

About freaking time! Intermittent sources of power require massive storage capacity which is freaking expensive if you want a modern American lifestyle like 99% of the world population does.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Fusion
Fusion

Re: In 2017, The Myth of Powering the World with 100% Renewa

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 06 Jan 2018, 21:01:00

AdamB wrote:
It is the very real start of a movement that recognizes that powering the world with 100% renewables is a myth – and that chasing a myth will not get us to our global goal of meeting the world’s increasing energy needs while reducing carbon emissions and successfully combating climate change.

In 2017, The Myth of Powering the World with 100% Renewables Has Started to Crack

Hmmm. And according to the WEO graph in the article, in 2040 most of the world aside from the EU STILL projected to be burning coal for OVER 20% of their electricity production.

Either the greens ala Tony Seba et al or the standard predictors re burning fossil fuels en masse for electricity generation as far as the eye can see are very very wrong about the future economics of Solar PV in the coming two decades.

Else, why in HELL is virtually everyone burning SO MUCH coal over 20 years from now if its so dirty and terrible? At least surely moving to almost all (seemingly dirt cheap) natural gas would be far better if Solar PV isn't going to get much cheaper as the greens forecast. (I understand this in the third world which has limited capital and wealth per capita, perhaps, but not in the first. And if PV backed up by batteries is going to be so cheap as to put most utilities out of business, then what gives?

AdamB, you tend to talk sense and facts in these areas. Any insight? Because something doesn't come REMOTELY close to adding up here.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 04 Feb 2018, 15:09:49

“Fossil-free steel” plant planned for Sweden [depending, of course, on where the hydrogen itself comes from! :) 8O ]

Process would use iron ore pellets; and hydrogen rather than coke or coal. Emissions would be water instead of CO2.

SSAB, LKAB AND VATTENFALL TO BUILD A GLOBALLY-UNIQUE PILOT PLANT FOR FOSSIL-FREE STEEL
https://corporate.vattenfall.com/press- ... ree-steel/

Animation available here: https://twitter.com/unfccc/status/960171351410581505
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 04 Feb 2018, 15:40:46

dohboi wrote:“Fossil-free steel” plant planned for Sweden [depending, of course, on where the hydrogen itself comes from! :) 8O ]

Process would use iron ore pellets; and hydrogen rather than coke or coal. Emissions would be water instead of CO2.

SSAB, LKAB AND VATTENFALL TO BUILD A GLOBALLY-UNIQUE PILOT PLANT FOR FOSSIL-FREE STEEL
https://corporate.vattenfall.com/press- ... ree-steel/

Animation available here: https://twitter.com/unfccc/status/960171351410581505

If they use Hydroelectricity/Geothermal electricity to split water to get the H2 gas needed then maybe this will be a carbon free process. I am willing to be impressed but first show me where the root energy supply to manufacture the Hydrogen comes from.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Energy Technology