Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE 2016 po.com Oil Price Challenge

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: THE 2016 po.com Oil Price Challenge

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 17 Aug 2016, 17:39:04

PeakOiler wrote:With a closing price of $45.72 on August 15, the standings are back to about where they were a few weeks ago:

I wonder what a tropical storm in the GOM near oil infrastructure might affect WTI prices for awhile? I've read that the hurricane season is still supposed to be more active this year, the most since 2012.

See Salinski? Right on schedule as I mentioned above. Another dip in the next few weeks is not out of the question. The rally will begin in earnest in November.

<--crosses fingers... :lol:

I have heard many time from many people that KSA craves stability in the USA government above anything else because they want to be able to predict our collective behavior a year or three in advance. Thus it is said, they do their best to keep oil markets calm in the 9-12 months before the Presidential election cycle in hopes that the same party in the Presidency will keep that office and nothing much will change for the next four years.

Is their any actual statistical evidence to back up this claim? I always assumed it was just anecdotal wish fulfillment, but things have been so qiet I am starting to wonder if maybe it is true after all.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby PeakOiler » Thu 18 Aug 2016, 08:11:12

Tanada wrote:I have heard many time from many people that KSA craves stability in the USA government above anything else because they want to be able to predict our collective behavior a year or three in advance. Thus it is said, they do their best to keep oil markets calm in the 9-12 months before the Presidential election cycle in hopes that the same party in the Presidency will keep that office and nothing much will change for the next four years.

Is their any actual statistical evidence to back up this claim? I always assumed it was just anecdotal wish fulfillment, but things have been so qiet I am starting to wonder if maybe it is true after all.

The glut will keep prices stable imo. Once the glut shows signs of easing, that's when I would expect to see more volatility. There are articles mentioning a production freeze. A possible production freeze is partly responsible for the recent rise in prices.

See Reuters Article
There’s a strange irony related to this subject [oil and gas extraction] that the better you do the job at exploiting this oil and gas, the sooner it is gone.

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby salinsky » Thu 18 Aug 2016, 16:27:02

Peak, You were right on. I'm thinking that I'll probably get knocked down to fifth or sixth place later in the fall. I don't like losing, but nothing to be done about it unless we have alien intervention.
If you believe something is true, then it must be true or you wouldn't believe it was true, therefore, everything you think is true, is true, or is it?
Señor Salinsky

A people's culture is their best ignorance.
SAL
salinsky
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby PeakOiler » Sat 27 Aug 2016, 13:24:13

lol Salinski. Illegal aliens?

The scorecard as of Aug. 22nd:

Pops is back in 3rd! Where is that guy?
There’s a strange irony related to this subject [oil and gas extraction] that the better you do the job at exploiting this oil and gas, the sooner it is gone.

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby salinsky » Sun 28 Aug 2016, 01:56:11

When I speak of aliens, I mean the intra-dimensional type. The kind that break all the known laws of the universe; sorta like what happens when a human has their prayers answered.
This site is has about as much stability as the oil markets.
Sal
If you believe something is true, then it must be true or you wouldn't believe it was true, therefore, everything you think is true, is true, or is it?
Señor Salinsky

SAL
salinsky
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Revi » Tue 30 Aug 2016, 13:56:47

I am in the middle of the pack, and if I could change now I would say that an average of 50 seems a little more realistic. I do think it could hit 66 at some point this year easily. We'll see. Hard to predict the future!
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby PeakOiler » Thu 01 Sep 2016, 14:24:26

We'll see, Revi. :wink:

The only change to the scorecard this week (from the 08/22 scorecard) was that farmlad and dolanbaker switched places.

The close was $46.97 and the average rose to $40.81 on 8/29/16.

Did y'all read the reports about some of the Gulf of Mexico oil workers "battening down the hatches" as the latest tropical storm goes through? It will be interesting to see the GOM production numbers from the EIA over the next few weeks. The temporary shutdown helped support bullish WTI prices.

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby PeakOiler » Thu 08 Sep 2016, 15:47:22

The latest scorecard:

Since the average price keeps going up, I'm losing ground besides the closing price having dropped a bit as well this week. I'm still betting on a rally beginning in November...

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby davep » Fri 09 Sep 2016, 08:58:35

My chances of a quick rally and equally quick descent are getting slimmer.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby salinsky » Wed 21 Sep 2016, 09:26:48

What's the latest standings?

Sal
Señor Salinsky

SAL
salinsky
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby PeakOiler » Thu 22 Sep 2016, 05:56:07

The latest scorecard:

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby salinsky » Thu 22 Sep 2016, 19:15:12

I'm expecting price rising as we move into fall, and I'm back on top where I belong.
Sal
Señor Salinsky

SAL
salinsky
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby davep » Fri 23 Sep 2016, 04:35:17

Be careful what you wish for!
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby salinsky » Fri 23 Sep 2016, 10:31:51

Price of gas doesn't bother me. Whenever I get low, I just put in twenty bucks like I did yesterday.
Sal
Señor Salinsky

SAL
salinsky
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby davep » Fri 23 Sep 2016, 11:10:51

I'm just saying that a decent rise followed by a decent fall may just play into my hands!
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby PeakOiler » Tue 27 Sep 2016, 16:59:29

Who wants to play this game next year?

I've been debating whether to be the scorekeeper another year. I've been growing a little weary of the negativity in the forums in general, mainly because of a few posters who add nothing to the discussions but instead seem to be focused on tearing everyone else down instead of being a contributor or adding any substance to the discussions.

If anyone is interested in keeping score for future oil price challenges, please let me know. I can send you a copy of my Excel workbook if that might help as a template.

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby salinsky » Tue 27 Sep 2016, 22:29:18

I want to play next year, and many more years to come. There are players here who probably have time to take over duties.

Sal
Señor Salinsky

SAL
salinsky
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby davep » Wed 28 Sep 2016, 09:40:46

PeakOiler wrote:I've been growing a little weary of the negativity in the forums in general, mainly because of a few posters who add nothing to the discussions but instead seem to be focused on tearing everyone else down instead of being a contributor or adding any substance to the discussions.

That's being looked at behind the scenes. We don't want to be driving good people away due to the actions of a few. Could you send a PM to Tanada and myself addressing your concerns (we have a good idea what you're referring to, but just want to make sure).
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby PeakOiler » Wed 28 Sep 2016, 13:19:45

Thanks, davep. You and Tanada have PMs.

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby PeakOiler » Fri 30 Sep 2016, 11:13:58

The latest scorecard:

I noticed the intraday price today (so far) is about $48.

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Economics & Finance