Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Strange weather 2017

Re: Strange weather 2017

Unread postby Cog » Wed 24 May 2017, 21:17:15

There is always a business opportunity no matter what the doom. I present Euroshield made with recycled rubber. Bounce your troubles and hail away with a recycled and therefore green product.

http://www.euroshieldroofing.com/hail-proof-roofing/

Our unique line of heavy-duty Euroshake® and Euroslate® products have been battle tested and proven effective against the worst kind of hail, and are so resilient you may never give your roofing another thought. NOW WITH WARRANTY COVERAGE FOR HAIL UP TO 2″ IN DIAMETER.
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 25 May 2017, 13:40:42

Too bad that they were getting hail in CO that was over two inches...baseball sized hail is 2.75"

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/tables/hailsize.htm

And of course we'll see more and more of this size and larger.

I'm pretty sure that your produce won't be very useful in protecting car windows, which is a lot of what the pictures from the damage there (and elsewhere) shows.

Always nice to look on the bright side, though! :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbmQQ4RfzVE
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 29 May 2017, 15:01:23

Moscow storm: 11 killed as high winds strike Russian capital

Most fatalities are reported to have been caused by falling trees

At least 11 people died when a severe thunderstorm hit the Russian capital Moscow, health officials say. Hundreds of trees were toppled by the storm, and more than 50 people sought medical help.

Reports say that electrical cables were damaged as Moscow was lashed with high winds, hail and torrential rain.

The winds of up to 110 km/h (70 mph) were described by meteorologists as extremely rare for the city, and caused structural damage to buildings.

If the death toll of 11 is confirmed - and some officials give a lower figure - it would be the deadliest storm in the city for more than 100 years.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40086616

And they're just going to get deadier and deadlier going forward from here...
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 29 May 2017, 15:27:17

Lightning and thunderstorms kill 29 in India's Bihar

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/05/l ... 50641.html

The storm occurred as temperatures soar across many states before the monsoon season

...The region was hit by similar storms earlier this month, claiming 22 lives...
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Tuike » Thu 01 Jun 2017, 07:09:17

We have chillier spring and early summer in Finland than average. But nothing extreme where cars flip upside down and sink to a swamp.
Tuike
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vox_mundi » Thu 01 Jun 2017, 11:06:41

Possible Tornado Leaves Path Of Damage In Dutchess County, NY

Tornado warnings were issued for Dutchess County in New York and Fairfield County in Connecticut on Wednesday evening as severe thunderstorms rolled through the tri-state area, dropping hail, toppling trees and producing threatening clouds.

The tornado warnings were issued shortly after 7:15 p.m. and were in effect for about a half hour. Storm Team 4 said the quick-moving storms were capable of producing a tornado, and photos and video posted to social media appeared to show funnel clouds in Poughkeepsie and nearby Hopewell Junction in Dutchess County.

Trees were reported down in Hopewell Junction and East Fishkill, but fortunately there were no reports of injuries or property damage.

Video on social media showed hail pounding porches, parking lots and cars.
“In all my years of living here, I’ve never seen anything like this,” Saphire Daze said as she recorded hail outside her window.

Meanwhile in parts of New Jersey, there was a pounding hail – with anything from nickel to golfball-sized hail reported.

Not Normal! Just sayin'
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Fission
Fission

Unread postby vox_mundi » Wed 07 Jun 2017, 10:48:41

Eight killed, thousands displaced as storm lashes South Africa's Cape

Eight people have been killed and thousands forced from their homes as South Africa's tourist base Cape Town and surrounding areas were hit by the worst winter storm in 30 years, officials said on Wednesday.

The storm is expected to dump more than two inches (50 mm) of rain in some areas and trigger waves of up to 12 meters, the South African Weather Service said in warnings.

Millions of people in shanty towns, who have previously had to cope with the region's worst drought in a century, have been hardest hit, with floods and heavy rain washing away homes built of planks and zinc sheets.
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 07 Jun 2017, 21:28:16

We're seeing more and more of these 'worst flood in X years' and sometimes '...at least since reliable records have been kept..."

Here's a video of one of those big waves hitting:

https://mobile.twitter.com/mikeseidel/s ... 52/video/1
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Satori » Wed 07 Jun 2017, 21:45:03

I've lived in this area for over 30 years
we don't really have winter anymore
ticks,mosquitoes and snakes abundant in January and February now
Satori
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 08 Jun 2017, 07:47:16

Thanks for that perspective.

When I grew up in MN in the '70's, if someone said that in a few decades we would have a torrential summer-like thunderstorm on Christmas here, then days in a row of rain in both January and February, they would have been declared totally crazy.

Yet this is what we saw this last winter, and mostly no one commented on it.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Thu 08 Jun 2017, 09:19:13

By the 1970's, amphibians were dying off, acid rain was killing forests, and the world was noticeably browner.

So figure people born after 1960 really never knew a healthy biosphere. Also figure 1960 had a global population of 3 billion.

Since those born before 1960 are dwindling in numbers and the majority of the population on the planet today were born after 1980, they don't really have personal knowledge of a world that wasn't dying. To them it's all basically normal.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Ibon » Thu 08 Jun 2017, 10:40:00

Cid_Yama wrote:By the 1970's, amphibians were dying off, acid rain was killing forests, and the world was noticeably browner.

So figure people born after 1960 really never knew a healthy biosphere. Also figure 1960 had a global population of 3 billion.

Since those born before 1960 are dwindling in numbers and the majority of the population on the planet today were born after 1980, they don't really have personal knowledge of a world that wasn't dying. To them it's all basically normal.

This is very true and I witness this first hand in conversations we have with the ecologists who come and stay with us. The naturalists and ecologists born prior to 1950 who started to study ecology in the 70's were right on the cusp of seeing healthy ecosystems start to degrade. The younger generations started their studies as the degradation of the biosphere was well advanced.

Climate change scientists and trained marine and terrestrial ecologists witness changes through the decades but the younger researchers were not in the field prior to the extinction of amphibians for example here in Central America. They have to look in formaldehyde jars or photos to see these now extinct species.

Most of humanity in the past 20 years were born in abstract urban or suburban environments with little relationship to the natural world. With the addition of the cyber world this has been taken to another level.

I no longer despair though over this ignorance. These folks are functionally extinct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_extinction

The definition usually refers to remnant small populations of species no longer viable to maintain the viability of a species. I am applying this to modern human civilization as well since we have now become living fossils in a way of life that is functionally extinct.
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 08 Jun 2017, 14:34:00

I like the concept, ibon. But for many it would be a hard sell to say that a species that has 7.5+ billion individuals is functionally extinct.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Ibon » Thu 08 Jun 2017, 14:51:40

dohboi wrote:I like the concept, ibon. But for many it would be a hard sell to say that a species that has 7.5+ billion individuals is functionally extinct.

Actually this is perhaps one of the reasons civilizations go into decline right when their numbers are greatest. There is hubris in numbers when in reality we are more vulnerable to correction at maximum population numbers.

Both extremes create vulnerability. There is a threshold both with minimal population and maximum population in terms of the viability. When you add the consumption of non renewable resources to an overshot population this describes perfectly functional extinction..... not necessarily to the species but to the social organization. There were Mayans living in grass huts for centuries after the ancient pyramids were overgrown with jungle growth. There was a point when the Mayan civilization was at its maximum population that the civilization became functionally extinct.
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 09 Jun 2017, 10:30:44

A strange unintended consequence.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2017/0 ... _22127672/

The Dark, Dirty Coal Secret You Never Hear Anything About
Ice sheets are turning black from coal-fired industrial pollution and fires. This has terrible consequences for us all.
“"If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money"”
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 09 Jun 2017, 13:47:10

Good point, again, ibon.

I have become a bit addicted to the old proto-computer game simant that was based on the works of the great E. O. Wilson, and I notice that there is generally a population surge in the red and populations just before they all die from starvation. This also fits in with the fact that most of the countries with the highest birthrates are among the very poorest and most distressed in the world.

We're all, ultimately, ants! (Or so Wilson would basically tell us.)
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 10 Jun 2017, 16:36:27

93 F and humid today...pretty hot for early June in MN.

How is it where you are hanging out?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 10 Jun 2017, 18:29:11

It was 90 here in central Alaska yesterday. Record hot for June 9 and way too hot for me. Already we've got 2 major forest fires going :shock:

"Its a brave new world"
---President Obama, 4/25/16
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Sat 10 Jun 2017, 20:50:18

Had a high of 58 here near Spokane. I lit a fire in my wood heater in my barn/shop this morning.
Nothing beats a good cup of coffee next to a wood fire.
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 11 Jun 2017, 08:43:56

Now we have a severe thunderstorm about to hit. Cooler though.

Straightline associated with this storm have broken trees and branches 12" diameter with pingpong-size hail.

Totally black out now at 9am here. Streetlights are all on.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

PreviousNext

Return to Environment