Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Strange weather 2017

Re: Strange weather 2017

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 01 May 2017, 05:01:57

Thanks D. Yes, heat strokes etc will be on the rise
“"If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money"”
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Squilliam » Mon 01 May 2017, 05:12:12

Apparently New Zealand is in line for quite the cold snap (the southern equivalent of the loss of the circumpolar vortex?) I live in Auckland, so we're going to have a chilly 6 degrees C tonight (gasp). Can't check it on the news though because I'm on limited data right now.
To use a keyboard is to be at war.
Squilliam
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 05 May 2017, 14:04:34

http://mashable.com/2017/05/03/extreme- ... 2NG0m1Smqw
Snow in the northeast US in May . Strange indeed
“"If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money"”
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 05 May 2017, 15:58:59

onlooker wrote:http://mashable.com/2017/05/03/extreme-weather-pattern-early-may-wavenumber-6/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-main-link#Db2NG0m1Smqw
Snow in the northeast US in May . Strange indeed

Not that unusual. I've seen spitting snow while I was haying in July. :razz:
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 05 May 2017, 16:18:14

According to this chart, yes, it happens, but it isn't very common: https://www.weather.gov/btv/historicalSnow

(But note that for this part of VT, there is no record of there ever being any snow in July, so either vt lives in a much more snow-prone part of the state, or he has been enjoying a bit too much of the local herb! :-D :-D :-D )
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 06 May 2017, 03:23:23

dohboi wrote:According to this chart, yes, it happens, but it isn't very common: https://www.weather.gov/btv/historicalSnow

(But note that for this part of VT, there is no record of there ever being any snow in July, so either vt lives in a much more snow-prone part of the state, or he has been enjoying a bit too much of the local herb! :-D :-D :-D )

Burlington Vermont is on the shore of Lake Champlain 95 feet above sea level. The median elevation of the state is 1000 ft and my house sits at 1750 and my wood lot rises to 2000 ft. A much different climate then Burlington. The UVM college campus will have bare ground in March while I have snow armpit deep on a six foot tree tapper.
Note I didn't say the snow accumulated to a measurable amount in July just that it was falling while I was trying to dry hay.
As to never in July you have to include 1816 known as the year without a summer or eighteen hundred and froze to death.
Here is Memorial day a couple of years ago.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 06 May 2017, 05:07:43

If we look at the entire N. East and land area at or near sea level, I would guess that snow in May is rather rare
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 06 May 2017, 05:55:30

onlooker wrote:If we look at the entire N. East and land area at or near sea level, I would guess that snow in May is rather rare

Agreed.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Synapsid » Sat 06 May 2017, 15:46:51

vtsnowedin,

1816, eighteen hundred and froze to death, is usually connected to Tambora erupting the year before.
Synapsid
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 06 May 2017, 19:15:00

Synapsid wrote:vtsnowedin,

1816, eighteen hundred and froze to death, is usually connected to Tambora erupting the year before.

Yes I know but the people in Vermont that starved that year did not who to blame.
That might repeat itself in several areas of the world if some of these climate change predictions come true.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 09 May 2017, 04:14:45

5/9/2017 I have a trace of snow on the roof tops and tree limbs this morning. :)
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vox_mundi » Tue 09 May 2017, 06:56:29

Early May weather pattern will be especially extreme in Northern Hemisphere

During the course of the next 10 days or more, the weather pattern across the Northern Hemisphere will feature an undulating, wavy jet stream that will be stuck in place, with storms backed up like cars on an interstate highway at rush hour. Meteorologists might also know these jet stream patterns as exhibiting the characteristics of a Rossby wave train.

Large dips in the jet stream, which is the narrow current of fast-flowing air at high altitudes that plays a crucial role in creating and steering weather systems, will lead to prolonged periods of cool, wet weather across the West and East Coasts of the U.S. Snow is even possible in parts of the Northeast U.S. during the second week of May. (Seriously.)

At the same time, unseasonably mild weather is projected to envelop Greenland and parts of Canada, potentially initiating an early start to the ice melt season there and melting remaining snow cover in Alberta and Nunavut.

And this is just part of the story. Extremes will also occur further east, across Europe, Russia, and eastern Asia.

The particular weather pattern that's shaping up is known as a wavenumber 6 pattern, named for the six large north-south dips in the jet stream, arrayed around the hemisphere.

Recent studies have tied historic extreme events to this weather pattern, particularly during the summer months.

A recent study, published in the journal Nature Scientific Reports, proposes a link between more frequent high-amplitude, stuck weather patterns (and their associated extreme events) during the summer, with Arctic climate change. The hypothesis there is that Arctic warming has been increasing the odds in favor of slower-moving, undulating jet stream patterns.

Past studies have tied two particularly deadly extreme events — the 2003 European heat wave and the 2010 Russian heat wave and wildfires — to persistent, or "quasi-resonant," high-amplitude jet stream waves such as the ones that computer models project will line up around the world in the next several days.
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Fission
Fission

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 18 May 2017, 10:27:13

From snow to scorcher all in May. Today, looks like it will break record. Forecast for high 92F. Record 87F
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Subjectivist » Thu 18 May 2017, 12:45:34

Same thing here, we had a cold wet spring now estersay and today are both in the upper 80's with 88 predicted today. On the other hand the record for Toledo today is 95 set back in 1962.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 19 May 2017, 12:56:55

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... -us-cities

Early Heat Wave Breaking Records in Northeast US Cities
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Fri 19 May 2017, 13:14:30

vox_mundi wrote:
During the course of the next 10 days or more, the weather pattern across the Northern Hemisphere will feature an undulating, wavy jet stream that will be stuck in place, with storms backed up like cars on an interstate highway at rush hour. Meteorologists might also know these jet stream patterns as exhibiting the characteristics of a Rossby wave train.

One of my sons did his Masters thesis on Rossby wave trains.
http://calhoun.nps.edu/handle/10945/42739
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 19 May 2017, 13:36:44

Subjectivist wrote:Same thing here, we had a cold wet spring now estersay and today are both in the upper 80's with 88 predicted today. On the other hand the record for Toledo today is 95 set back in 1962.

There is a old saying here , sometimes attributed to Mark Twain, and sometimes to Vermont but sometimes to all of New England.
"If you don't like the weather in Vermont, wait ten minutes".
I assume Samuel Clemens, AKA Mark Twain, toured through New England and Vermont during the month of May. :)
There is another story about him performing in Vermont when Vermonters were known for their economy of verbiage on the order of Calvin College's succinctness and the first act had him worried as all his best jokes drew only fixed stares and a few forced smiles. Wondering what was wrong Sam slipped out the side door during intermission and quietly approached the men gathered outside for some air and a smoke. He was set at ease when he drew close enough to here one Vermonter say to another "Want he funny? Want he funny? I had all I could do to keep from laughing!"
:-D :)
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vox_mundi » Fri 19 May 2017, 15:40:08

‘Doomsday’ seed vault meant to survive global disasters breached by climate change

The seed bank designed to preserve the world’s crops and plants in the event of global disaster isn’t prepared to withstand the greatest global disaster facing our planet: global warming. Melting permafrost on the Norwegian island of Spitsbergen, where the Svalbard Global Seed Vault is located, has seeped into the seed bank, raising questions of how the structure will be able to survive in the future as the Earth keeps warming.

The structure was built underneath the permafrost so it could be “a fail-safe seed storage facility, built to stand the test of time — and the challenge of natural or man-made disasters,” as the seed bank’s website says. But oh, the irony. Soaring temperatures in the Arctic at the end of the world’s 'hottest ever recorded' year led to melting and heavy rain, when light snow should have been falling, Hege Njaa Aschim, from the Norwegian government, which owns the vault, told The Guardian:
“It was not in our plans to think that the permafrost would not be there and that it would experience extreme weather like that”

Fortunately, the water hasn’t flooded the vault itself. It only got to the entrance of the tunnel, where it froze. (The seeds are stored at minus 0.4 degrees Fahrenheit.) But the incident has raised questions over the durability of a seed bank that was supposed to operate without people’s intervention.
“It was supposed to [operate] without the help of humans, but now we are watching the seed vault 24 hours a day,” ... “We must see what we can do to minimise all the risks and make sure the seed bank can take care of itself.”

The vault managers are now waterproofing the facility and digging trenches to channel melt and rainwater away, according to The Guardian. They’ve also installed pumps in case the vault floods again. “We have to find solutions. It is a big responsibility and we take it very seriously. We are doing this for the world,” Åsmund Asdal at the Nordic Genetic Resource Centre, which operates the seed vault, told The Guardian. “This is supposed to last for eternity.”

The end of 2016 saw average temperatures over 7°C (12.6°F) above normal on Spitsbergen, pushing the permafrost above melting point.
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Fission
Fission

Unread postby vox_mundi » Fri 19 May 2017, 15:44:57

Hawkcreek wrote:
vox_mundi wrote:

One of my sons did his Masters thesis on Rossby wave trains.
http://calhoun.nps.edu/handle/10945/42739

The world needs more like him. Congratulations; both of you.

vox_mundi
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 24 May 2017, 21:09:40

Hailstorm that hammered west metro Denver May 8 is costliest ever for Colorado

The storm caused $1.4 billion in damages, with an estimated 200,000 combined auto and homeowners insurance claims to be filed

The hailstorm that pounded west metro Denver with golf ball- and baseball-sized stones on May 8 will rank as the most expensive catastrophe in state history, according to estimates Tuesday from the Rocky Mountain Insurance Information Association.

The insurance industry trade group estimates that more than 150,000 auto insurance claims and more than 50,000 homeowners insurance claims will be filed, resulting in $1.4 billion in insured losses.

“It isn’t an exact science, and we try to be conservative,” said Carole Walker, executive director of the trade group. “The cost of claims will likely go up.”

At $1.4 billion, the storm will surpass the $1.1 billion in damage claims, adjusted for inflation, that a storm on July 11, 1990, generated and the $845.5 million in claims tied to a storm on July 20, 2009.

It will also be three times more expensive than the state’s most damaging wildfire, which destroyed 346 homes in the Waldo Canyon area of Colorado Springs in June 2012 and generated $453.7 million in payouts at the time.
One factor that sets the May 8 storm apart from earlier ones is that it is on track to generate more auto claims ($710 million) than home claims ($704 million).

“It is a high number of auto claims as opposed to home,” said Walker.

Farmers Insurance Group has seen about 60 percent of damage claims come in on the auto side and 40 percent on the home side, said Carrie Bonney, a spokeswoman for the insurer. Normally, the split is in the other direction.

Part of that reflects the storm’s timing. Cars were out in the open at workplace parking lots or on roads during early rush-hour traffic.

Also, Angela Thorpe, a spokeswoman with State Farm, said the path of the storm took it through areas with a heavy concentration of multifamily housing, where fewer carports and garages are available to shelter vehicles from the elements.

The storm also carried a big punch, with stones so large in some areas that they didn’t just dent hoods and roofs, but shattered and punched through windshields.

About half of the cars reporting damage aren’t drivable, Walker said. That requires providing replacement vehicles, adding to claim costs....

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/05/23/ha ... ro-denver/

As the saying goes, a billion here, a billion there...pretty soon you're talking about real money!

IIRC, there was a billion-plus dollar hail storm in Texas last year or the year before. We're gonna be seeing more and more billion and multi-billion storms hitting all over the place. But I'm sure that won't stop Trump from making 'Merica great again! :lol: :razz: :twisted: :cry:
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

PreviousNext

Return to Environment