Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Statoil CEO discusses Peak Oil

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Statoil CEO discusses Peak Oil

Unread postby MrMambo » Tue 21 Nov 2006, 10:51:57

In a comment to the IEA repport "World Energy Outlook" the CEO of statoil (www.statoil.com) Helge Lund, said that "All the easy barrels have been taken", and that we are now down to developing such things as LNG, Gass to oil, oilsands in the future.

He also said that "although Peak Oil is a moving target, one thing is certain, and that is that one day the peak oil-theorists will be right".

On the other side of the argument he claimed that the world will have enough resources until 2030.

So the man is giving some mixed messages, but signifficantly more on the negative side than earlier.

Source:

http://www.dn.no/forsiden/energi/articl ... icle_title
MrMambo
Peat
Peat

Re: Statoil CEO discusses Peak Oil

Unread postby Fergus » Tue 21 Nov 2006, 11:01:57

I suppose as time goes by, more and more news will be negative. Certainly if we did peak in 05, how can it get any better.
Fergus
Coal
Coal

Unread postby BurnCalories » Tue 21 Nov 2006, 11:09:04

One thing I have noticed consistently; "peak oilers" generally talk about production, and "cornicopians" generally talk about reserves.
BurnCalories
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Doly » Tue 21 Nov 2006, 11:40:19

BurnCalories wrote:One thing I have noticed consistently; "peak oilers" generally talk about production, and "cornicopians" generally talk about reserves.

True. And in real life, what do you consume, production or reserves?
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby FatherOfTwo » Tue 21 Nov 2006, 18:32:52

Doly wrote:
BurnCalories wrote:One thing I have noticed consistently; "peak oilers" generally talk about production, and "cornicopians" generally talk about reserves.

I swear most cornucopians truly believe that if there is enough incentive, the reserves will become production <snaps fingers>

I've always wondered how people can manage to live with their heads so far up their arses. :-D
FatherOfTwo
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby clv101 » Tue 21 Nov 2006, 20:08:40

Doly wrote:

Aye - it's all about the flow rates.
"Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen." The Emperor (Return of the Jedi)
The Oil Drum: Europe
clv101
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Statoil Kicking ‘Oil’ From Name, Rebranding as ‘Equinor’

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 16 Mar 2018, 16:02:42

Statoil ASA, whose North American portfolio stretches from Canada’s offshore to the Gulf of Mexico (GOM), unveiled plans Thursday to rebrand as “Equinor” to reflect a broader energy strategy that elevates alternative energy and downgrades fossil fuels. “Equinor” would combine “equi” (equal, equality and equilibrium) and “nor,” a nod to its roots. The supermajor is headquartered in the port city of Stavanger in Norway. “The world is changing, and so is Statoil,” said Chairman Jon Erik Reinhardsen. “The biggest transition our modern-day energy systems have ever seen is underway, and we aim to be at the forefront of this development. Our strategy remains firm. The name Equinor reflects ongoing changes and supports the always safe, high value and low carbon strategy we outlined last year.” Rebranding is expected to cost an estimated US$32.5 million, said CEO Eldar Saetre. “For us, this is a historic

Statoil Kicking ‘Oil’ From Name, Rebranding as ‘Equinor’
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 16 Mar 2018, 16:06:15

Having found a thread where even an oil company fell for the peak oil meme, it makes me wonder if all this time they are still as embarrassed about it as the likes of the failed peak oil websites? And maybe decided it was time to tuck tail and run on the branding for the same reason LATOC and TOD an ASPO all collapsed and fled the field of battle...you just can't win when you become a laughing stock on a topic? Just an idea.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Return to Peak Oil Discussion