Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Soviet Union collapse of Yesterday versus USA collapse Today

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Re: Unintended Consequences of the Collapse of the Soviet Union

Unread postby errorist » Mon 16 Feb 2009, 16:48:46

PenultimateManStanding wrote:My doom-o-meter is flashing red.

My Doom-o-meter on the Biggest island of Estonia broke yesterday beyond repair.
Bought a good riot-size crowbar, made some lockpicks and filled tank of my ancient '94 vw passat today. Tools ready to saw off half of the barrels from 16 gauge shotgun.

Some news from todays Estonia:
- Employers get a new law to slash wages 7% one-sided. No questions asked. Employee does not like it - get lost with 1 month salary and no right to apply for unempoyment benefit.
- Estonian Cooperation Body (strange creature financed by presidental office, uniting various big employers and interested parties) made an anouncement where the first point was - do not search who is quilty in all this mess here.
- President of the bank of Estonia said, that we here should take a loan to finance us (remember, official data still says, that Estonia has reserves, ~1/4 of the budget). Reserves lost or tapped for this loan interest?
- Major opposition party leader accused prosecutors, police, courts of being tools for the governing coalition and goverment for political purposes. Pointed out, that law has changed so people can be hold in custody without charge (it was allowed for 24 hours, now this limit has gone), interrogated without right to attorney, etc.
- Parliament of Estonia quickly changed law so, that control of the major opposition party will lose control of their stronghold - capital Tallinn - in upcoming local elections.

News from todays Latvia:
- ex-CEO of Latvian Hansabanka (Sweden-based Swedbank branch in Latvia, major bank in Baltics) Ingrida Bluma said: Yes, we knew that there will be crisis but we kept this secret. She feels herself personally quilty about this ... but "Banking is a bussiness and has his own interests". Blames Latvian gowermewnt for doing nothing.

We face soon-to-be-currency-devaluation, sky-high unemployment, mass individual and company bancrupcy and police state here. Wish us luck.
errorist
Peat
Peat

Unread postby vision-master » Mon 16 Feb 2009, 17:05:33

Sounds like good ol fashion Martial Law. :cry:
vision-master

Unread postby eastbay » Mon 16 Feb 2009, 18:25:52

vision-master wrote:Sounds like good ol fashion Martial Law. :cry:

The sooner the better.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Mon 16 Feb 2009, 19:21:28

errorist wrote:

My Doom-o-meter on the Biggest island of Estonia broke yesterday beyond repair........

..........We face soon-to-be-currency-devaluation, sky-high unemployment, mass individual and company bancrupcy and police state here. Wish us luck.

At least we get a preview of what life will be like here soon enough. Nice to have on the scene reporters. Haven;t heard from our Iceland correspondent in a while... How long do you think the Internet will hold up from Estonia?

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby errorist » Mon 16 Feb 2009, 22:48:03

ReverseEngineer wrote:
errorist wrote:

My Doom-o-meter on the Biggest island of Estonia broke yesterday beyond repair........

..........We face soon-to-be-currency-devaluation, sky-high unemployment, mass individual and company bancrupcy and police state here. Wish us luck.

At least we get a preview of what life will be like here soon enough. Nice to have on the scene reporters. Haven;t heard from our Iceland correspondent in a while... How long do you think the Internet will hold up from Estonia?

Reverse Engineer

Internet .. hope to be in the country where internet dies after majority of countries, if not all (when there will be no _real_ war here). NATO cyber-defence competence center is located in Estonia. My fellow colleagues teach them how to defend against internet warfare threats, Pretty much all of the critical internet infrastucture is running or capable running on military level from the very beginning of inernet here. Survived a number of various large-scale attacks in the past years. Electricity will hold up also I think, Estonia sells it abroad, made from local oil-shale, and wind, some spare capasity exists and there will be more of it as demand for electricity goes down with economy dying.
But ... I have ethical problems working for military, so internet may be banned for me at some point in time. Also my doomstead has not a very stable long-range wireless connection wich may not work properly all the time. If cellphones are not dead or internet-capability stripped off then GPRS or 3G are optional backups.
Hope to be able to afford internet after 50+% of the economy goes belly-up (and it goes I think). Future prices may rise of course to astronomical numbers. At the present (Peak internet?) moment internet access is dirt cheap here and some 70% of population uses it.

Hope you like the preview. We broke off from soviet union ~20 years ago with no blood spilled. Tough people here on the border of east and west. Will see how decoupling from dying "free market" models goes...
errorist
Peat
Peat

Unread postby RedStateGreen » Fri 20 Feb 2009, 17:32:18

Good luck, errorist ... stay safe.
efarmer wrote:"Taste the sizzling fury of fajita skillet death you marauding zombie goon!"

First thing to ask: Cui bono?
RedStateGreen
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Fredrik » Fri 20 Feb 2009, 19:33:20

errorist wrote:We face soon-to-be-currency-devaluation, sky-high unemployment, mass individual and company bancrupcy and police state here. Wish us luck.

Damn, I didn't know things are already that bad south of the Gulf. The portrayal of Estonia in our media has been much less pessimistic, at least compared to Latvia. What's essential is that you can become self-sustainable, since we're all going to crash sooner or later anyway and must find solutions on a national level, with no aid from abroad. I think you Estonians could survive on your own, with your coal, ag production potential in a temperate (soon to be optimal) climate, and very small population, couldn't you? Make wise choices now! Soomi kulgeb sama teeta Eesti peras (hope that makes sense to you)...
"Only scarcity and effort make life worth living."
"A fundamental, devastating error is to set up a political system based on [individual] desires." -Pentti Linkola
Fredrik
Lignite
Lignite

Previous

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics