Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Six Percent for Six Percent

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Six Percent for Six Percent

Unread postby MD » Fri 01 Jul 2005, 10:21:55

China's well prepared response to the outcry over CINOOC's bid for Unocal pointed to the "unfair" 25% consumption to 6% population ratio currently enjoyed by the Unted States.

Hugo Chavez has also repeatedly pointed to the out-of-balance consumption in the US as "unfair" and "excessive".

I believe this will be a growing cry worldwide as depletion takes hold, eventually leading to embargos against the United States by various producers and cartels, both existing and newly formed.

I doubt China will support embargos, at least not yet. They will likely continue to try and win the "new great game" by slowly gathering resources and manufacturing power. If the world economy tips into severe recession though, all bets are off.
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby gt1370a » Fri 01 Jul 2005, 11:39:22

I find it interesting that people alternately look at things in terms of per capita or as a percent GDP, as it best suits them. Either way, it is always done to portray the US in the worst possible way.

"The US uses the most oil per capita."
"The US gave the least money per GDP to tsunami victims."
"The US pollutes the most per capita."
gt1370a
Coal
Coal

Unread postby savethehumans » Sat 02 Jul 2005, 04:41:35

It's easy to think of the US in the worst possible ways--because they ARE the worst of the worst when it comes to consumption, ecocide, imperial ambitions and wars--you name it!

Reap what you sow, you know. . . . :(
savethehumans
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby agni » Sat 02 Jul 2005, 17:39:35

savethehumans wrote:It's easy to think of the US in the worst possible ways--because they ARE the worst of the worst when it comes to consumption, ecocide, imperial ambitions and wars--you name it!

Ecocide? WTF is that?

-A
agni
Peat
Peat

Unread postby 0mar » Sun 03 Jul 2005, 00:40:41

agni wrote:
savethehumans wrote:It's easy to think of the US in the worst possible ways--because they ARE the worst of the worst when it comes to consumption, ecocide, imperial ambitions and wars--you name it!

Ecocide? WTF is that?

-A

homocide, but on the ecosystem
Joseph Stalin
"It is enough that the people know there was an election. The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything. "
0mar
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby erl » Sun 03 Jul 2005, 02:47:47

0mar wrote:homocide

Homocide?

Are we killing gay ecologists now?

Or is this a play on the "Nuke the gay whales" bumper sticker?
erl
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby I_Like_Plants » Sun 03 Jul 2005, 03:23:07

No, ecocide is a real word, and ultimately it's worse than raping babies.
I_Like_Plants
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby savethehumans » Sun 03 Jul 2005, 03:56:53

Thank you, Omar and I Like Plants! Little tongue-in-cheek there, erl. Glad someone can make wisecracks about the fact that the human race has murdered the planet it lives on--I just don't have enough gumption for that, I guess. :cry:
savethehumans
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Six Percent for Six Percent

Unread postby MD » Fri 07 Mar 2008, 14:24:45

The squeeze is in progress. Having fun yet, America?
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby Fiddlerdave » Fri 07 Mar 2008, 15:18:49

gt1370a wrote:I find it interesting that people alternately look at things in terms of per capita or as a percent GDP, as it best suits them. Either way, it is always done to portray the US in the worst possible way.

"The US uses the most oil per capita."
"The US gave the least money per GDP to tsunami victims."
"The US pollutes the most per capita."
Given that each of those examples is perfectly appropriate to the issue being mentioned, the interesting issue is why the USA tops the lists.

The individual person's level of consumption of resources and spewing of wastes accurate reflects their values, or lack thereof.

The level of giving that could cost the low GDP Bangladeshi his life is a level of giving that keeps the high GDP US Citizen from driving his Hummer 10 feet.

Another for instance, it does show the moral values of the wealthiest country on earth for the President to offer less money for relief from the worst disaster of a century (the tsunami) than is being concurrently spent on his inauguration party food and drink.

Perhaps you'd care to offer reasons why your suggestion more accurately reflect the issues being discussed, such as the USA's "generosity"?
Fiddlerdave
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby IslandCrow » Sat 08 Mar 2008, 03:30:52

I like the title of the thread...that seems to have good potential of a domestic campaign to wean the USA of imported oil from unstable parts of the world. Anyway I find it a catchy sort of phrase. Good luck with trying to make it work.
We should teach our children the 4-Rs: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Rejoice.
IslandCrow
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sat 08 Mar 2008, 05:32:52

Actually, I believe the US uses 25% of the global production of oil while having only 5% of the population.

But, there are some Americans, a small percentage but many, who understand and loathe what is happening.

The US has become the power base for the Plutocracy. We are the army of the powers that be.

Imagine Nazi Germany between 1933-1938.

Don't expect (most of) the people in the US to comprehend or be able (or willing) to take any action.

Most of them are the enemy of the rest of the world. They have been denied the ability to critically think, and they have been indoctrinated to follow the directions of TPTB.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Sat 08 Mar 2008, 05:39:16

MD wrote:China's well prepared response to the outcry over CINOOC's bid for Unocal pointed to the "unfair" 25% consumption to 6% population ratio currently enjoyed by the Unted States.

Hugo Chavez has also repeatedly pointed to the out-of-balance consumption in the US as "unfair" and "excessive".

I believe this will be a growing cry worldwide as depletion takes hold, eventually leading to embargos against the United States by various producers and cartels, both existing and newly formed.

I doubt China will support embargos, at least not yet. They will likely continue to try and win the "new great game" by slowly gathering resources and manufacturing power. If the world economy tips into severe recession though, all bets are off.

This assumes that the United States government would be completely unable to block some or all of these actions by dividing the opposition among themselves or just buying off some of the potential embargoers. The United States may soon stop being a "hyper-power" (if we ever were) but that does not mean that we will be unable to punish our "enemies" or reward our "friends."
http://www.thenewfederalistpapers.com
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sat 08 Mar 2008, 05:46:01

<i>but that does not mean that we will be unable to punish our "enemies"</i>

See what I mean?
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Sat 08 Mar 2008, 06:19:28

I am trying to give voice to realism. See it as a sign of whatever you want, I call it living with the fact that we are all homo sapiens and if it were the Chinese or the French or Botswanians using a disproportionate amount of resources than they would be doing the same thing.

I do get tired of the America bashing, as if any other group of homo sapiens would do any different if the situations were reversed.

We all love the Dutch for their enlightened attitudes, how quickly we forget how hard they tried to hold onto Indonesia

The French, they're good guys right? They oppose American hegemony. How soon we forget Algeria and Vietnam.

Do I really need to catalog all of the tribal ways homosapiens treat and mistreat one another for political and economic advantage?

Yes Americans are human beings and we do not live up to our best ideals.

Yes we use more than "our fair share" of resources just like any one else would given the chance because

[align=center]NEWS FLASH [/align]

they are human beings too.

As human beings we tend to look at those who want to take away our ice cream as enemies, even if we have more than our fair share of ice cream.

And some people have more than their fair share of self-righteousness and I would love to take it away from them.

look we live in a real world and the op dealt with how america might be blockaded in the future by a coalition of the disenfranchised. I think that would be hard to do because Americans... like every other tribe on the stupid planet... resist when they are opposed. I think America would be able to effectively resist those it perceives as "enemies."
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby MD » Sat 08 Mar 2008, 07:52:42

America is losing access to imports a little bit at a time, mostly through economic distress and falling dollar.

There may never be any explicitly expressed embargoes against America. Nevertheless, I stand by my OP of nearly three years ago: America will lose access to its lion's share of oil that has been enjoyed for the last fifty years or so.

Kiss your energy slaves goodbye!

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 08 Mar 2008, 08:17:48

wisconsin_cur wrote:I am trying to give voice to realism. See it as a sign of whatever you want, I call it living with the fact that we are all homo sapiens and if it were the Chinese or the French or Botswanians using a disproportionate amount of resources than they would be doing the same thing.

I do get tired of the America bashing, as if any other group of homo sapiens would do any different if the situations were reversed.

We all love the Dutch for their enlightened attitudes, how quickly we forget how hard they tried to hold onto Indonesia

The French, they're good guys right? They oppose American hegemony. How soon we forget Algeria and Vietnam.

Do I really need to catalog all of the tribal ways homosapiens treat and mistreat one another for political and economic advantage?

Yes Americans are human beings and we do not live up to our best ideals.

Yes we use more than "our fair share" of resources just like any one else would given the chance because

[align=center]NEWS FLASH [/align]

they are human beings too.

As human beings we tend to look at those who want to take away our ice cream as enemies, even if we have more than our fair share of ice cream.

And some people have more than their fair share of self-righteousness and I would love to take it away from them.

look we live in a real world and the op dealt with how america might be blockaded in the future by a coalition of the disenfranchised. I think that would be hard to do because Americans... like every other tribe on the stupid planet... resist when they are opposed. I think America would be able to effectively resist those it perceives as "enemies."

Gol DANG it Cur! How dare you insert historical perspective and sociological reallity into a thread bashin America for the bazillionth time! Don't you ever get tired of the facts? They are so dang inconvenient!
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Sat 08 Mar 2008, 08:23:12

MD wrote:America is losing access to imports a little bit at a time, mostly through economic distress and falling dollar.

There may never be any explicitly expressed embargoes against America. Nevertheless, I stand by my OP of nearly three years ago: America will lose access to its lion's share of oil that has been enjoyed for the last fifty years or so.

Kiss your energy slaves goodbye!

Perhaps I misread, I can see a world where we get less because we have less to exchange. However, as the breadbasket of the world in a world where most nations are food importers we still have a few carrots (pardon the pun) to dangle before others as well as sticks.

I am as doom and gloom as the next guy about the rapidly approaching evaporation of "free" energy but I see it as a function of geology, domestic revolutionary movements (in producing countries), and economics.

I do not see how a coalition of nation states organizing a boycott could be brought to fruition. I think we will see a further balkanization of the world and not a new age of global alliances.
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Sat 08 Mar 2008, 08:38:18

Don't you ever get tired of the facts? They are so dang inconvenient!

:) Thank you. The facts can be very tiring. They are very disheartening. It hurts to have exceptionalism ripped from the psyche and to be left holding your children while facing a very uncertain future.

But then I think,
This is what humans have been doing ever since there was such a thing and feeling ever since the 2.5 pounds of gray matter we carry on top of our necks has been capable of an existential crisis.

So I am connected with all humanity (and with all living things really) even in moments of despair or desperation. Somehow that helps. I think it also helps breed compassion which is encouraging.

Thank you for the affirmation.
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Chesire » Sat 08 Mar 2008, 11:25:09

MD wrote:The squeeze is in progress. Having fun yet, America?

I agree we should severely cut back on fossil fuel use in America . In fact only use self produced fossil fuel energy for industry and agriculture . Switch to much more sustainable fuels for transport like ethanol . In fact if we converted most of the food crops into ethanol we could still feed ourselves and get in MD's 6 % range.

Stop shipping dirty coal over seas too and contributing to the problem. Of course 6 weeks +/- a few after we convert almost totally to ethanol MD can make another post called 12 % for 12 % :lol: 6 months later +/- a few he can make an even better post like 25 % for 25 %. Of course his neighbors could always baste him and [smilie=violent5.gif] then chow down. Which would end his posting career [smilie=cussing.gif] . Yet then the [smilie=llorar.gif] from all the people not getting food or coal from the united states would be comedy gold. To bad it will only be one time 6 week mini series [smilie=laughing4.gif]
Chesire
Lignite
Lignite

Next

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics