Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Six gas mileage myths

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Six gas mileage myths

Unread postby Graeme » Sat 29 May 2010, 06:56:50

Six gas mileage myths

Do Americans care about fuel economy as oil spills into the Gulf of Mexico and gasoline hovers around $3 a gallon? You bet they do, though they also have a fair number of misconceptions about how to squeeze a few more miles out of every drop.

The Consumer Federation of America's (CFA) most recent survey says that if we had a 50-mile-per-gallon car fleet today, we'd save more oil than the entire proven reserves in the entire Gulf of Mexico. And people care about that.

According to Jack Gillis, author of The Car Book and a CFA spokesman, 87 percent of respondents said it is "important that the country reduce its consumption of oil," and 54 percent said it is "very important."

An amazing 65 percent of Americans surveyed support a mandated transition to a 50-mpg fuel economy standard by 2025. That's a tough standard, some 15 mpg better than the ambitious goal set by the Obama Administration (35 mpg by 2016).

"The expectations of American consumers are reasonable and achievable," Gillis said in a conference call." CFA says that Asian carmakers, compared to the U.S. competition, are offering twice as many vehicles with 30 mpg or better. "It's shocking that so few of today's cars get more than 30 mpg," he said.

Mark Cooper, CFA's research director, noted that in five years of the group's polling, the public's views have stayed remarkably consistent: Americans want less dependence on Middle Eastern oil and higher fuel-economy standards.

People care about fuel economy, but they're misinformed about how to actually achieve it. The federal government's fueleconomy.gov site (very useful to check cars' mpg) just published the "Top 10 Misconceptions About Fuel Economy."

Here are a few big myths:

yahoo
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Six gas mileage myths

Unread postby litesong » Sun 08 Aug 2010, 15:47:06

Graeme wrote:Six gas mileage myths

People care about fuel economy, but they're misinformed about how to actually achieve it. The federal government's fueleconomy.gov site (very useful to check cars' mpg) just published the "Top 10 Misconceptions About Fuel Economy."

Here are a few big myths:

yahoo

Nice article of MPG myths. The fueleconomy.gov site is also grand to monitor your own consumptions & directly compare yourself to real world car brands & models like your own vehicles (yes, all your cars can be compiled separately in YOUR GARAGE). I think the coolest feature is the line graph of your MPG, slowly constructed as each of your gas tank fill ups & tank miles are inputted to the government site. At a glance you can determine how your car is presently performing compared to your past history. Also, you can enter any data as notes, so you can compare types of gasoline, seasons of the year, weather conditions, as well as differences in any modifications you may do to your vehicles.
litesong
Permanently Banned

Unread postby MrEnergyCzar » Mon 30 Aug 2010, 14:20:55

The "Kiwi MPG" $100 device tells you your actual MPG as you are driving and your cumulative average MPG since the last time you reset it....

MrEnergyCzar
MrEnergyCzar
Peat
Peat

Unread postby litesong » Sun 05 Sep 2010, 01:04:46

Instantaneous MPG instruments are good. I had a computer monitoring my fuel consumption (v. similar to present monitors) on one of my very early cars. Helped me somewhat, altho I was already driving pretty good for good MPG. One of the least expensive devices to help you cultivate good MPG is a vacuum gauge. But generally, careful driving with a real desire for good MPG will let you average over the estimated EPA highway average. Normally, I am averaging 10% to 15% over the EPA highway average & generally get 20+% better MPG than leadfooters. I have gotten 51MPG with my 22 year old Ford Festiva while mountain driving over 11,000 feet of mountain passes, driven a 2008 Hyundai Accent (EPA highway---32MPG) to 45MPG while ascending & descending a 1400 foot pass & gotten 42MPG while ascending & descending 5500 foot Chinook Pass near Mt. Rainier.
litesong
Permanently Banned

Unread postby litesong » Sun 05 Sep 2010, 01:32:42

Oh, yeah. Here's tips to get better MPG. When approaching hills or mountain slopes (lots of them in my Washington state), slowly ease your velocity a bit faster than your normal pace, BEFORE the hill starts rising. As you begin to ascend, carefully don't lose speed at the bottom of the hill (but don't accelerate either). As you approach the steepest part of the hill, carefully & slowly decrease your speed, till you ascend to the very flat top of the hill & are going a bit slower than your usual pace. With the varying slope of the hill, my instructions can be difficult to master, but keep trying. Once you are on the flat top of the hill, slowly bring your speed back up to your normal pace. This method is called flattening out the hill. Tho you lose MPG as you accelerate above your usual pace before you begin ascending the hill, you decrease fuel consumption a lot, as you lose a bit of speed in the steepest part of the hill.

If the hill descends immediately after you obtain the flat of the hilltop, DON'T immediately accelerate to your normal pace. But as you begin descending & best if you wait till the steepest part of the descent, let the hill give back your speed till you are at your usual pace. Basically, you are trading your kinetic energy BEFORE the bottom of the hill, for the hill's potential energy (due to its altitude), while extracting the least amount of fuel energy out of your gas tank, through the drive system of your car.
litesong
Permanently Banned

Unread postby litesong » Sun 23 Oct 2016, 12:19:31

Blast from the Past on how to reduce fuel consumption while ascending & descending hills. Other posts about neglected fuel reduction tips would be appreciated:

litesong wrote:Oh, yeah. Here's tips to get better MPG (on hills). When approaching hills or mountain slopes (lots of them in my Washington state), slowly ease your velocity a bit faster than your normal pace, BEFORE the hill starts rising. As you begin to ascend, carefully don't lose speed at the bottom of the hill (but don't accelerate either). As you approach the steepest part of the hill, carefully & slowly decrease your speed, till you ascend to the very flat top of the hill & are going a bit slower than your usual pace. With the varying slope of the hill, my instructions can be difficult to master, but keep trying. Once you are on the flat top of the hill, slowly bring your speed back up to your normal pace. This method is called flattening out the hill. Tho you lose MPG as you accelerate above your usual pace before you begin ascending the hill, you decrease fuel consumption a lot, as you lose a bit of speed in the steepest part of the hill.

If the hill descends immediately after you obtain the flat of the hilltop, DON'T immediately accelerate to your normal pace. But as you begin descending & best if you wait till the steepest part of the descent, let the hill give back your speed till you are at your usual pace. Basically, you are trading your kinetic energy BEFORE the bottom of the hill, for the hill's potential energy (due to its altitude), while extracting the least amount of fuel energy out of your gas tank, through the drive system of your car.
litesong
Permanently Banned

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 23 Oct 2016, 12:41:44

Best gas mileage tip is to avoid the trip altogether by better planning and or car pooling. One shopping trip a week on the way home from work instead of several hops down to the market for two items etc. Three people riding to work in the same car in effect gives your 25 mpg car 75 mpg in utility. Do those kind of things when you can and you can skip the driving with a raw egg between your foot and the accelerator.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby litesong » Sun 23 Oct 2016, 13:59:27

vtsnowedin wrote:Do those kind of things when you can and you can skip the driving with a raw egg between your foot and the accelerator.

Ah, that's what vtsnowedin wants to do..... leadfoot instead of featherfoot. Lots of people, who occasionally transport 8 people in a van, use that excuse to drive the 8 person van when they are the only one being transported.
litesong
Permanently Banned

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 23 Oct 2016, 14:16:49

I'll admit to being a lead foot today with gas at $2.35 a gallon. Whizzed past a cop the other day doing 82 mph and he didn't even bat an eye. If you set the cruse control to 72mph there will be a steady stream of cars passing you and at 75 you won't catch and pass many. But let gas get to $4.00 and I'll drive like a little old lady if I go at all and staying home is a very good option for me.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby litesong » Mon 24 Oct 2016, 14:52:16

vtsnowedin wrote: But let gas get to $4.00 and I'll drive like a little old lady if I go at all and staying home is a very good option for me.

vtsnowedin proves its tough for commuters to find 2 or 3 people who LIVE near you, who also WORK where you live. Even commuter organizations have a hard time finding people who can or would commute with others.
litesong
Permanently Banned

Unread postby GHung » Mon 24 Oct 2016, 16:06:08

The link took me to "Yahoo Health". Didn't see a thing about gas mileage. I guess after 6 years the article went POOF!
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 24 Oct 2016, 16:46:43

GHung wrote:The link took me to "Yahoo Health". Didn't see a thing about gas mileage. I guess after 6 years the article went POOF!

Yahoo is a news aggregator, try this direct link,
http://preview.www.thedailygreen.com/li ... roken-0519
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Mon 24 Oct 2016, 17:21:49

IMHO the biggest fuel economy myth of all is that new car purchasers buy the cars that they prefer in surveys. They say they admire the efficient electric or hybrid car, they buy the three ton truck with a giant gas V8 or a turbo diesel engine, the one you feel shaking the pavement as it passes.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 24 Oct 2016, 19:36:48

litesong wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote: But let gas get to $4.00 and I'll drive like a little old lady if I go at all and staying home is a very good option for me.

vtsnowedin proves its tough for commuters to find 2 or 3 people who LIVE near you, who also WORK where you live. Even commuter organizations have a hard time finding people who can or would commute with others.

Valid point but understand that I live on the extreme edge of the commuter/ suburban line. Behind me there is only trees and in front of me are people that are progressively closer to work and services. I'm the worst case scenario, and everyone else has better prospects.
Looking at it another way, I am already sitting on the doom stead they think will save their family, and know how to farm it in a subsistence profitable way , and don't need many new laborers to make it go post collapse.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby litesong » Tue 25 Oct 2016, 10:56:33

vtsnowedin wrote:I am already sitting on the doom stead they think will save their family, and know how to farm it in a subsistence profitable way , and don't need many new laborers to make it go post collapse.

When the doom comes, the thieves & sub-humans will scavenge all areas believing that if they are starving, then everyone should starve. Best to get .22 & 30-06 rifles, & 40 caliber pistols AND your reloading equipment ready. Some of the best air rifles & pellets, too. Incorporate a good gunsmith into your family to keep the weapons operating. Doom, doom, doom..... all is doom!!!
litesong
Permanently Banned

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 27 Oct 2016, 08:58:40

litesong wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:I am already sitting on the doom stead they think will save their family, and know how to farm it in a subsistence profitable way , and don't need many new laborers to make it go post collapse.

When the doom comes, the thieves & sub-humans will scavenge all areas believing that if they are starving, then everyone should starve. Best to get .22 & 30-06 rifles, & 40 caliber pistols AND your reloading equipment ready. Some of the best air rifles & pellets, too. Incorporate a good gunsmith into your family to keep the weapons operating. Doom, doom, doom..... all is doom!!!

What makes you think that has all not been in place for years? :mrgreen:
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby litesong » Thu 27 Oct 2016, 12:00:19

vtsnowedin wrote:What makes you think that has all not been in place for years?

Ah.... you're a gunsmith, keeping your powder dry. Remember to wildcat that 30-06 for its excellent versatility. Doom, doom, doom..... all is doom!!!
litesong
Permanently Banned

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 27 Oct 2016, 12:21:19

litesong wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:What makes you think that has all not been in place for years?

Ah.... you're a gunsmith, keeping your powder dry. Remember to wildcat that 30-06 for its excellent versatility. Doom, doom, doom..... all is doom!!!

In a doomer situation you don't want any wild cats. The last working firearm in America will probably be a bolt action 22LR. While I have a 30-06 I prefer my Ruger 7x57 loaded with 175 grain Remington corelocs over 47 grains of IMR 4350. But I have no problem going afield with one of our good old 30-30s.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby litesong » Thu 27 Oct 2016, 14:04:39

vtsnowedin wrote:
litesong wrote:Ah.... you're a gunsmith, keeping your powder dry. Remember to wildcat that 30-06 for its excellent versatility. Doom, doom, doom..... all is doom!!!

In a doomer situation you don't want any wild cats. The last working firearm in America will probably be a bolt action 22LR. While I have a 30-06 I prefer my Ruger 7x57....

Wildcats let you use whatever bullet calibers & rifles that you might obtain in an increasingly rare industrial society. The 7x57 is good, can be wildcatted & may be best due to the military availability of the .308 case. For a gunsmith & reloader, wildcats let you easily tap the versatility of 30-06 cartridge(& .308, for its variants), forming easily to 25-06, 6.5-06, 270, .28-06, 30-06, 8mm-06, & 35 Whelen. With a bit more gunsmithing expertise, you can make "improved", extra high power variants of all these cartridges & the 30-06 case. There are full power & low power loading manuals for all these cartridges. Getting back to the subject of this thread, the low power loadings for the cartridges allow you to dramatically conserve powders by using pistol powders in your rifle. Generally, 3 to 4 TIMES less powder will be needed & you can tailor your loads for small caliber work without using your increasingly rare rifle powders. Your lowest velocity loads(still a great increase over .22 rimfire power) can use lead bullets(that you make) without leading your bore, again a great idea in a decreasing industrial society. Doom, doom, doom..... all is doom!!!
litesong
Permanently Banned

Unread postby litesong » Thu 27 Oct 2016, 14:38:43

vtsnowedin wrote:The last working firearm in America will probably be a bolt action 22LR.

& after the .22 LR bolt rifle stops functioning, the air rifles with keep on "keepin' on". With a supply of 100,000 good pellets, a Feinwerkbau will outlast the pellet supply.
litesong
Permanently Banned

Next

Return to Conservation & Efficiency