Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Shocking: U.S. oil production started its fall this January

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Shocking: U.S. oil production started its fall this Janu

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Mon 02 Jan 2017, 12:54:33

Rockman
here is the EIA statement regarding their estimation of DUC wells which began in September of 2016:
Starting this month, EIA's Drilling Productivity Report (DPR) includes monthly estimates of the number of drilled but uncompleted wells (DUCs) in the seven DPR regions. Estimates will go through the prior month; the September DPR includes estimates through August.
Current EIA estimates show DUC counts as of the end of August totaling 4,117 in the four oil-dominant regions (Bakken, Eagle Ford, Niobrara, and Permian) and 914 in the three natural gas-dominant regions (Haynesville, Marcellus, and Utica) that together account for nearly all U.S. tight oil and shale gas production. In the oil regions, the estimated DUC count increased during 2014 and 2015, but the count declined by about 400 over the past five months. The DUC count in the gas regions has generally declined since December 2013.
DUCs are wells that have been drilled by producers, but have not yet been made ready for production. The full completion process involves casing, cementing, perforating, hydraulic fracturing, and other procedures to make the well ready to begin producing oil or natural gas. Following the large decline in oil prices since mid-2014, new drilling and completion activity slowed, and the number of DUCs in oil-dominant regions increased. A high inventory of DUCs has implications for the size and timing of the domestic supply response to changes in oil prices, with or without significant changes in the number of active drilling rigs.
Although both drilling and completion activity have declined since late 2014, the completions have experienced a deeper decline than drilling in oil-dominant regions. The differences in drilling and completion rates in these oil regions may be attributed to several factors. For instance, some long-term contracts for drilling rigs and lease contracts may mandate drilling or producing in order to fulfill commitments made to the landowners and mineral-right owners.
Estimates of the number of DUCs have been available from other sources. These estimates often vary significantly because of differences in methodology and operational assumptions, or, in some cases, insufficient data. EIA develops its estimates of DUCs for all seven regions in the Drilling Productivity Report using a consistent methodology and uniform assumptions.

I think the important point is these are all "estimates" reason being that the EIA has no idea of what the actual intention of a company might be going forward. All they know is that the well was drilled and then suspended awaiting completion. In my experience there are a host of reasons why you would suspend a well and not plug and abandon it. One important one is trying to time write downs around other company financial burdens if you are a public company, another might be trying to postpone all abandonments so that you could do a number of them back to back (considerable cost savings). It is doubtful that all of the wellls listed as DUC will ever be completed, nor is there any guaranty of whether a frack will result in sustained economic production rates. That being said it is a useful estimate if you keep in mind all the uncertainty in the data.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 02 Jan 2017, 22:01:40

Thanks Doc. That's the point I was making: it's difficult to agree/disagree with any DUC number because they never detail the process/data base used to generate a specific number. For instance I suspect the higher estimates see X suspended ops and assume the opeator is intentionally delaying the completion when in reality he's just waiting for the frac crew to show up. And even after the frac is completed it might remain in the suspended catergory taking a month or three to set the production equipment. And only then does it switch from a DUC to a completed well. During the boom some wells remained DUC's for the better part of a year with the operator moving as fast as possible.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby tita » Tue 03 Jan 2017, 06:04:34

BTW, I like to follow the numbers of EIA from its monthly status report. We get details from federal offshore production (GOM). So, we can tell where decrease or increase of US oil production come from (GOM or shale). Since march 2015, onshore oil production has been continoulsy decreasing with the exception of october 2015 (+20kb/d). But in october 2016, US oil production increased by 242kb/d. GOM increased by 86kb/d, so most of the increase came from onshore oil (almost 150kb/d). This is a big change, especially in regards of the rig count, which is increasing but is not that high.

IMHO, this reflects a strong activity in completion of wells that were suspended during the beginning of 2016, for financials reasons (Whitings petroleum for example told they would halt activity until price come back to 50$).

Anyway, this is a surprise to see such an increase for onshore us oil production.
tita
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 03 Jan 2017, 11:38:56

tita wrote:BTW, I like to follow the numbers of EIA from its monthly status report. We get details from federal offshore production (GOM). So, we can tell where decrease or increase of US oil production come from (GOM or shale). Since march 2015, onshore oil production has been continoulsy decreasing with the exception of october 2015 (+20kb/d). But in october 2016, US oil production increased by 242kb/d. GOM increased by 86kb/d, so most of the increase came from onshore oil (almost 150kb/d). This is a big change, especially in regards of the rig count, which is increasing but is not that high.

IMHO, this reflects a strong activity in completion of wells that were suspended during the beginning of 2016, for financials reasons (Whitings petroleum for example told they would halt activity until price come back to 50$).

Anyway, this is a surprise to see such an increase for onshore us oil production.

Lag time, lag time, lag time. Between the regular time it takes to drill a well and hook it into production and the fact that you can 'store' a drilled wells as a DUC for weeks, months and I suppose even years if you wanted too there is a disconnect between when a well is drilled and when it begins lifting oil for the market. In mid 2014 when prices were rising all the frackers were completing wells as fast as they could in an attempt to get that first surge of oil to market while prices were high. In November 2015 when prices were falling through the $50's/bbl zone the number of DUC's started rising and when oil hit its low in January the incentive to hurry up and complete a well and start lifting was at its lowest ebb. Prices today are roughly $15/bbl higher than they were a year ago today, and we don't pass the 2016 low point for a few weeks yet. Today's price is $20/bbl higher more or less than the 2016 low and there is a reasonable chance that the price will hold or be even higher when we pass the low price weeks of January and early February 2016.

With all those DUC's sitting out there with lease holders waiting on some magical benchmark before they rush to complete them, you mentioned Whiting having a $50/bbl benchmark, it is possible we will see a spike in domestic production as the inventory of DUCS is drawn down.

On the other side of that coin if you have already waited 6-12 months to complete and it looks like prices next month will be even higher than this month there is an incentive to hold on a few more weeks and try and get your surge at the top of the price cycle.

On the gripping hand 2016 was a very lean year and maybe you should take what you can get while the getting is good.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby slackercruster » Wed 04 Jan 2017, 16:11:35

Dunno is the fall all $ related or have they matched their all time record?

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafH ... RFPUS1&f=M
slackercruster
Wood
Wood

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 04 Jan 2017, 16:41:33

Tnt- And one more variable: some operators might have cut production back some and then ramped up when they expected a price increase. And they don't have to it at the well head: on one lease I have 4 oil tanks. Towards the end of the month I might not have two of those tanks picked up by my buyer until next month.

And that's just "first sales" volume. All my oil goes to a buyer that might sell 1,000X as much oil to refineries this month as I sell to it. I often wonder if there's some mixing in sales numbers. And it probably doesn't amount to much but I have seen more then one operator serserll oil for several months (like the first few months of a new well) and the report all of it to the TTRC as just one month's production.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 04 Jan 2017, 17:22:22

ROCKMAN wrote:Tnt- And one more variable: some operators might have cut production back some and then ramped up when they expected a price increase. And they don't have to it at the well head: on one lease I have 4 oil tanks. Towards the end of the month I might not have two of those tanks picked up by my buyer until next month.

And that's just "first sales" volume. All my oil goes to a buyer that might sell 1,000X as much oil to refineries this month as I sell to it. I often wonder if there's some mixing in sales numbers. And it probably doesn't amount to much but I have seen more then one operator serserll oil for several months (like the first few months of a new well) and the report all of it to the TTRC as just one month's production.
Wouldn't that sort of thing even out over the large number of producers and buyers in the US?
Back when the price first collapsed I proposed that US producers would cut back production and was told that they couldn't due to cash flow requirements. It seems now that at least some of them sat on DUC wells until the price came back up and there were enough of them to effect the production figures.
Reminds me of a Will Rogers saying, "What bothers me is all the things he knows for sure that just ain't so".
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 04 Jan 2017, 18:03:47

vt - You're probably correct. The system is so large and the individual components so small we should only see macrotrends.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GoghGoner » Wed 04 Jan 2017, 18:54:49

To me it smacks of desperation. They have to release this oil now because of revenues for 4Q 2016. If not, their credit lines disappear and they have to file bankruptcy a few months sooner. I don't see a company like Whiting surviving. They ain't getting $50 for that oil, ND prices are at $43.60 and were less in November.
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby GoghGoner » Sat 07 Jan 2017, 18:37:17

I took a moment to check WLL's financials and, yes, I was correct. These guys are desperate. Their revenue had really dropped in 3Q and they missed estimates by a mile. Ugly, ugly, ugly -- they need money now. November was an awful month to bring on bottled production. Things are looking up for prices but ND oil is still well below $50.

GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion