Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Scientists scramble to safeguard data ahead of 'scrubbers'

Re: Scientists scramble to safeguard data ahead of 'scrubber

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 16 Dec 2016, 08:29:35

I've seen first hand how bad some government waste is. I'm actually surprised by how bad waste is in private firms.

There needs to be a certain amount of cross department integration in order to tap areas of expertise and to seek technical support. For example satellite monitoring of Earth is critical across many fields such as agriculture and climate science. The Agriculture Department has no business launching satellites and NASA no business looking at corn. But they DO need to share expertise and cooperate to get the necessary job done.

Finding a way to make these organizations work together more efficiently is a tough task. If done right it can make for better research and more of it. Let's hope that is where this is going. AFAIK there is no agency devoted to integrating the efforts between agencies and rooting out duplication. Typical stovepipe organization.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Fri 16 Dec 2016, 09:38:33

Below is a link to all the questions and some commentary by the author about the DOE. I had never heard of orphan departments within agencies. Those departments answer to basically no one and take on a life of their own. Such things are going to get eliminated forthwith.

Here is one of the questions. They are getting ready to get rid of a bunch of non-career types. They also have questions to determine how many employees they are flying around to climate change conferences, that turn into elaborate vacations courtesy of the taxpayer.

17 Can you provide a list of all Schedule C appointees, all non-career SES employees, and all Presidential appointees requiring Senate confirmation? Can you include their current position and how long they have served at the Department?

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/12/10/ ... y-reality/
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 16 Dec 2016, 13:20:29

Cog wrote:Below is a link to all the questions and some commentary by the author about the DOE. I had never heard of orphan departments within agencies. Those departments answer to basically no one and take on a life of their own. Such things are going to get eliminated forthwith.

Here is one of the questions. They are getting ready to get rid of a bunch of non-career types. They also have questions to determine how many employees they are flying around to climate change conferences, that turn into elaborate vacations courtesy of the taxpayer.

17 Can you provide a list of all Schedule C appointees, all non-career SES employees, and all Presidential appointees requiring Senate confirmation? Can you include their current position and how long they have served at the Department?

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/12/10/ ... y-reality/

The 2017 DOE budget is over 32 BILLION dollars.

What in heck does the DOE do that costs 32 BILLION dollars?

If the DOE budget is going to be looked at to see where the money is going, It doesn't seem unreasonable to find out what all the DOE employees are working on, especially if staff reductions are being considered.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dolanbaker » Fri 16 Dec 2016, 16:55:49

shortonoil wrote:Copying government data to a safe location is not a bad idea. We are presently sending copies of the EIA Table 11.1 World Primary Energy Production by Source 1970-2004, and Table 11.5 World Crude Oil Production 1960-2009 to researchers in Europe via FedEx. They require the hard copies as proof. We copy all data that we accumulated to hard paper copies. The reason that we are having to do this is not because the EIA is somehow "scrubbing" data. They just simply lost it!

Now, you have to realize that we are dealing with the government! There is really no reason to attribute things like lost data to actions of a Hitler,or Stalin like conspiracy. They are intrinsically just "screw ups". CTRL-X, OOPS!

It is kind of a miracle that the nation's foot soldiers have shoe laces!

Well yes, why go to all the trouble of scrubbing the data when all you really need to do is to forget to move it onto newer media when you next upgrade the computer system!

Probably the easiest way to lose data!
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vox_mundi » Fri 16 Dec 2016, 20:08:13

DOE Budget: The President’s Budget provides a total of $32.5 billion, $30.2 billion in discretionary funding and $2.3 billion in new mandatory funding in FY 2017 to support the Department of Energy in the areas of nuclear security, clean energy, environmental cleanup, climate change response, science and innovation. This includes:

Increasing investments for clean energy research and development to $5.9 billion in discretionary funds supporting Mission Innovation - the landmark commitment to accelerate public and private global clean energy innovation announced at the start of the Paris climate negotiations. The U.S. is seeking to double clean energy R&D funding in five years and the Department’s investment is about 76 percent of the $7.7 billion government-wide FY 2017 contribution toward this pledge.

Investing nearly $1.5 billion in mandatory funding in FY 2017 for clean energy technology development and deployment; $1.3 billion for advanced clean transportation ($11.3 billion over ten years) and $150 million for the Advanced Research Projects Agency – Energy (ARPA-E) ($1.85 billion over five years).

Providing nearly $5.7 billion to support fundamental research in high energy, nuclear, and plasma physics; materials and chemistry; biological systems and earth system components; and mathematics—as well as crosscutting high-performance computation and simulation and basic research that underpins advances in clean energy.

Continuing to invest in our nuclear security with $12.9 billion for the National Nuclear Security Administration to maintain a safe, reliable and effective stockpile without testing, modernize the nuclear security infrastructure, reduce the threats of nuclear proliferation and nuclear terrorism, and provide a 21st century capability for the nuclear Navy. (part of the $5.8 Trillion spent on nuclear weapons)

Investing $6.1 billion to protect human health and the environment by cleaning up the Department’s legacy of nuclear waste and contamination.

The Costs of U.S. Nuclear Weapons

Does it matter—in military, political, or economic terms—how much the United States has spent, and continues to spend, to develop and sustain its nuclear arsenal? Many observers would say no. The Cold War is long over, the United States won without having to use its nuclear weapons, they argue, so whatever the cost was, it was "worth it." But for those interested in accountability and reexamining history in light of new evidence, what the United States spent on nuclear weapons along with the justifications for that spending can shed light on the pace and scale of the U.S. effort and offer important lessons for the United States and for other countries that have or seek to have nuclear weapons. This issue brief, based on the 1998 book Atomic Audit: The Costs and Consequences of U.S. Nuclear Weapons Since 1940, examines how and why key decisions were made, what factors influenced those decisions, and whether alternatives were considered.[1] In so doing, it helps explain the process by which an arsenal consisting of just two primitive weapons in 1945 eventually grew to more than 32,000 highly sophisticated ones, what this process cost, and how the costs and consequences of the program were understood by policymakers at the time.

What Did the United States Spend?

From 1940-1996, the United States spent a minimum of $5.5 trillion on its nuclear weapons program.[2] The lack of data for some programs and the difficulty of segregating costs for programs that had both nuclear and conventional roles mean that in all likelihood the actual figure is higher. This figure does not include $320 billion in estimated future-year costs for storing and disposing of more than five decades' worth of accumulated toxic and radioactive wastes and $20 billion for dismantling nuclear weapons systems and disposing of surplus nuclear materials. When those amounts are factored in, the total incurred costs of the U.S. nuclear weapons program exceed $5.8 trillion.[3]

Of the $5.8 trillion, just seven percent ($409 billion) was spent on developing, testing, and building the actual bombs and warheads. To make those weapons usable by deploying them aboard aircraft, missiles, submarines, and a variety of other delivery systems consumed 56 percent of the total ($3.2 trillion). Another $831 billion (14 percent) was spent on command, control, communications, and intelligence systems dedicated to nuclear weapons. The United States also spent $937 billion (16 percent) on various means of defending against nuclear attack, principally air defense, missile defense, antisubmarine warfare, and civil defense.

The amount spent through 1996—$5.5 trillion—was 29 percent of all military spending from 1940 through 1996 ($18.7 trillion). This figure is significantly larger than any previous official or unofficial estimate of nuclear weapons expenditures, exceeding all other categories of government spending except non-nuclear national defense ($13.2 trillion) and social security ($7.9 trillion). This amounted to almost 11 percent of all government expenditures through 1996 ($51.6 trillion). During this period, the United States spent on average nearly $98 billion a year developing and maintaining its nuclear arsenal.
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sat 17 Dec 2016, 07:44:40

Don't let them refocus you on trivial crap. This is 1933 all over again. Except the US are now the Nazis.

Ever wonder what you would have done if you had lived in 1930's Germany. No need to wonder anymore. You are there.

So what WILL you do.

They are compiling names for God's sake. What does it take, people?

America Erwache!

e
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ibon » Sat 17 Dec 2016, 08:02:29

Cid_Yama wrote:America Erwache!

George Carlin summed it up

"The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it."
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Sat 17 Dec 2016, 08:32:00

We president now.

Arbeit macht frei
Last edited by Cog on Sat 17 Dec 2016, 08:40:08, edited 1 time in total.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sat 17 Dec 2016, 08:36:34

Cid_Yama wrote:This is 1933 all over again. Except the US are now the Nazis.

Ever wonder what you would have done if you had lived in 1930's Germany as an intellectual. No need to wonder anymore. You are there.

So what WILL you do.

They are compiling names for God's sake. What does it take, people?

America Erwache!

(And Yes, Cog, your dream has come true.)(and yes, they will come for me among the first.)

So do I stay and fight from here, or form a Government in Exile and fight from outside the country?
Last edited by Cid_Yama on Sat 17 Dec 2016, 08:48:14, edited 2 times in total.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 17 Dec 2016, 08:38:41

Oh please get over your analogies already. In 1932 in Germany there were squads of brown shirt thugs with clubs roaming around terrorizing anyone who disagreed with NAZI philosophy about how Germany should be run.

Having an employee list and knowing what those employees do for you and how they spend funds is not a terror tactic, it is plain common sense!
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sat 17 Dec 2016, 08:44:24

If you are on the side of the Nazis.

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Sat 17 Dec 2016, 08:50:18

Its going to be great. The inauguration will be exactly like this video. Cheering crowds with goose-stepping Republicans leading the way. Then of course the unpleasant business of purging the undesirables but no reason to get into that right now. Time to dust off my SS uniform and start practicing my salute. Sieg Heil Der TrumpFührer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD6oDnm43HA
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sat 17 Dec 2016, 09:02:27

“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” - Sinclair Lewis.

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Sat 17 Dec 2016, 09:02:46

To be quite honest, no one is getting put on a train or sent to a gas chamber, or any of the other things that progressives cry about late at night. What is going to happen is the alt-left and their agenda is going to be totally ignored for four years( maybe eight). That is the most painful thing we can and will do to them.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sat 17 Dec 2016, 09:12:32

Cog wrote:We president now.

Arbeit macht frei

You quote the phrase on the gate of Auschwitz?

http://www.scrapbookpages.com/Poland/Au ... itz12.html

Damn, you just confirmed everything I believed about you.

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sat 17 Dec 2016, 09:15:48

Cog wrote:To be quite honest, no one is getting put on a train or sent to a gas chamber, or any of the other things...

Yeah, that's what the Nazis said.

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Sat 17 Dec 2016, 09:23:30

Godwin's Law never gets old. LOL
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sat 17 Dec 2016, 09:30:35

Nonsense made up by Nazis like you. If it walks like a Nazi and talks like a Nazi, It's a Nazi.

In a month, the Nazis take control of America.

I fell asleep watching The Man in the High Castle. My wife woke me up, said I was yelling at the Nazis in my sleep. Not surprising in the least.

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 17 Dec 2016, 09:54:41

President Obama acted in a very authoritarian way for 8 years, did that make him a NAZI?

Why is it Rebublican Presidents like Bush and Regan are authoritarian NAZI's but authoritarian Democrats like Clinton and Obama are just "doing what they have too, to get past obstructionists"?

Pure political lens flare, you can't see reality through your own rhetoric.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sat 17 Dec 2016, 10:01:23

If I thought Reagan was a Nazi, I would not have worked for his Administration. Reagan would be on my side.
He lived through WWII.

No, the new generation are Nazis, and cannot claim Reagan.

You are an idiot, the time is now. Choose.

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate