Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Say Goodbye to Sunspots Pt. 2?

The Sun has gone quiet

Unread postby shakespear1 » Sat 16 Feb 2008, 13:54:49

This is a very interesting subject. I am not sure if it was Raphael's brother that delved into this before but have a read.

Quiet Sun

Apparently we are at a low point in activity which is expected but the surprising obsevation apparently is the lower than normal magnetic activity. What does it mean?

Code: Select all
No wonder there is so much talk recently about global cooling. I certainly hope that’s wrong, because a Dalton type solar minimum would be very bad for our world economy and agriculture. NASA GISS published a release back in 2003 that agrees with the commonly accepted idea that long period trends in solar activity do affect our climate by changing the Total Solar Irradiance (TSI).
Men argue, nature acts !
Voltaire

"...In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation."

Alan Greenspan
shakespear1
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: The Sun has gone quiet

Unread postby greenworm » Sat 16 Feb 2008, 18:08:05

Yes it was Raphael that first raised the question...does our electro-magnetic field affect us here on earth, on our field of dreams and nightmares, specifically our weather?

My cherokee grandmother use to work with children with down syndrome. She worked third shift and swore that when the moon was full (probably the strongest pull on our minds) the children would act up. Besides that she said they were docile and well behaved.

She swore by it and mentioned it quite often.
greenworm
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby deMolay » Sat 16 Feb 2008, 19:10:11

I live in Northern Alberta, and so far I have not seen one night this year with Northern Lights. Usually a nightly event. Everyone is talking about this here, locally. I have seen nothing in the MSN tho.
deMolay
Fission
Fission

Unread postby jasonraymondson » Sat 16 Feb 2008, 19:31:42

deMolay wrote:I live in Northern Alberta, and so far I have not seen one night this year with Northern Lights. Usually a nightly event. Everyone is talking about this here, locally. I have seen nothing in the MSN tho.

That is one of the ten signs of the end of times.

It is at hand. Make sure you are wearing clean underoos at all times, you don't want to get raptured in dirty ones.
jasonraymondson
permanently banned

Unread postby I_Like_Plants » Sat 16 Feb 2008, 22:07:16

jasonraymondson wrote:Make sure you are wearing clean underoos at all times, you don't want to get raptured in dirty ones.

Damn you brought back a childhood memory ..... my mom's BF gets some little blue tights for the kid who lives in back of us, as "Superman" tights. Well, I have to mouth off and say they're girls tights, nyah, nyah, etc. Well I got a round chewing out, and felt pretty damn bad about wrecking this little kid's d'bay, and Mom's BF signs "Superman" on the label of the tights, makes a really neat signature too.

never forget your magic tights.......
I_Like_Plants
Fission
Fission

Unread postby FreddyH » Sat 16 Feb 2008, 22:31:17

That the sun was entering a quiet era has been known since 2003. After the record breaking 1960-1980 cycles, the next six cycles will be dismal as we return to long term norms. This relatively cooler radiation was built into both the GCMs for IPCC 2001 & their AR4 study released last February.

Having said that, it should be obvious that this "negative" forcing is outweighted by the GHG factor. IOW, we are not "saved"...

my solar cycle link
Last edited by FreddyH on Sat 16 Feb 2008, 22:41:09, edited 2 times in total.
www.TrendLines.ca/scenarios.htm Home of the Real Peak Date ... set by geologists (not pundits)
FreddyH
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby deMolay » Sat 16 Feb 2008, 22:37:15

I think the UN is full of it... http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ice/chill.html
deMolay
Fission
Fission

Unread postby strider3700 » Sun 17 Feb 2008, 01:17:47

Some of the Hams are overjoyed at the moment because it looks like things are picking up again as some sun spots recently surfaced. It's been a long and brutal low point in the cycle.
shame on us, doomed from the start
god have mercy on our dirty little hearts
strider3700
Fission
Fission

Unread postby shakespear1 » Sun 17 Feb 2008, 04:24:06

That the sun was entering a quiet era has been known since 2003.

That is true. But the blogger states and shows that the EM emission is way down. This appears to be the big mystery. :-)
He made a graph showing this. Some of the other entries on this blog are very good.

Jan08 Northern Hemisphere snow cover: largest anomaly since 1966

Snow
Men argue, nature acts !
Voltaire

"...In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation."

Alan Greenspan
shakespear1
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby katkinkate » Sun 17 Feb 2008, 08:06:53

greenworm wrote:My cherokee grandmother use to work with children with down syndrome. She worked third shift and swore that when the moon was full (probably the strongest pull on our minds) the children would act up. ......

Grrrrrr.... The full moon has the same amount of gravitational pull as the new moon. The moon doesn't change it's shape or size. The gravitational pull is the same no matter what direction the sunlight is being reflected! The only difference a full moon makes to a night is that it is lighter outside than other times.
Kind regards, Katkinkate

"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops,
but the cultivation and perfection of human beings."
Masanobu Fukuoka
katkinkate
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cloud9 » Sun 17 Feb 2008, 08:57:01

More light to be out and about before electricity.
Cloud9
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Troyboy1208 » Sun 17 Feb 2008, 13:20:06

What happened to Golem's title...The Oracle?
Troyboy1208
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby wxman » Sun 17 Feb 2008, 15:16:18

FreddyH wrote: my solar cycle link

Freddy, That very last graph on your climate change page, the one with the satellite-derived sea level, could you let us know where that data is. It is very interesting.
wxman
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby PeakingAroundtheCorner » Sun 17 Feb 2008, 16:23:21

strider3700 wrote:Some of the Hams are overjoyed at the moment because it looks like things are picking up again as some sun spots recently surfaced. It's been a long and brutal low point in the cycle.

Photo (very large)

Doesn't look like activity has increased to me.
PeakingAroundtheCorner
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby FreddyH » Sun 17 Feb 2008, 18:06:28

wxman wrote:
FreddyH wrote: my solar cycle link
Freddy, That very last graph on your climate change page, the one with the satellite-derived sea level, could you let us know where that data is. It is very interesting.

Sure, it's at Oceanbobs As we can see, the current chart reveals that sea level dropped a half cm by Autumn 2007 from 12 months previous. This in spite of dire warnings at theoildrum and fringe media that the polar caps and greenland are melting. It's a cruel hoax.

"The rise in the level of the oceans is far from uniform. In fact, while in certain ocean regions the sea level has indeed risen (by up to 20 millimetres a year in places), in others it has fallen an equivalent amount. These regional differences, observed by Topex/Poseidon since 1993, mostly reflect sea level fluctuations over several years., estimates of the rise in sea level-now running at 2.5 millimetres a year-have gained in accuracy."
link
www.TrendLines.ca/scenarios.htm Home of the Real Peak Date ... set by geologists (not pundits)
FreddyH
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby greenworm » Sun 17 Feb 2008, 18:37:08

Katinkate, the pull of the moon is not a constant like you paint it as, if that were the case it would be high tide all the time. That is a ridiculous notion, plain and simple. A full moon indicates a changing phase to the hopi, read the stones and attempt to interpret the symbolism. There are 4 phases of the moon and the mind, serious, read the stones, I am not making up.
greenworm
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby LastViking » Sun 17 Feb 2008, 19:35:06

greenworm wrote:Katinkate, the pull of the moon is not a constant like you paint it as, if that were the case it would be high tide all the time. That is a ridiculous notion, plain and simple. A full moon indicates a changing phase to the hopi, read the stones and attempt to interpret the symbolism. There are 4 phases of the moon and the mind, serious, read the stones, I am not making up.

Of course you're making it up. Otherwise the date of the highest tide each month would be correlated to our full moon date each month; but it isn't 28 days and hence we find that Astrology and hokus pokus is much more entertaining than Astronomy.
LastViking
Coal
Coal

Unread postby greenworm » Sun 17 Feb 2008, 20:16:05

I didn't say the full moon is correlated to high tide. Show me where I said that. Yea, I thought so.

thanks for playing.

If you reread it, I said the full moon is correlated to down syndrome children behaving differently. The full moon represents a phase shift.

An indian messiah once said, the white people will be swept off turtle island, boy, can't wait for that day. :P
greenworm
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby LastViking » Sun 17 Feb 2008, 20:37:16

greenworm wrote:I didn't say the full moon is correlated to high tide. Show me where I said that.

If you reread it, I said the full moon is correlated to down syndrome children behaving differently. The full moon represents a phase shift.

An indian messiah once said, the white people will be swept off turtle island, boy, can't wait for that day. :P

What you don't wish to admit is that your indian friend has scammed you and other customers by sucking y'all into believing that moon phases correlate with physical properties and in turn effect on humans. What the poor bloke didn't realize was that the lunar gravitational forcings (incl tides) are related directly to the moon's orbit ... which is a slightly different cycle than the phases.

But, don't let my musings interfere with your continuing to buy his books and tapes. You are obviously fascinated by his tale and I wouldn't want you to miss the big enchilada: using those phases to plan your stock buying strategy.
LastViking
Coal
Coal

Unread postby BigTex » Sun 17 Feb 2008, 21:16:21

jasonraymondson wrote:
deMolay wrote:I live in Northern Alberta, and so far I have not seen one night this year with Northern Lights. Usually a nightly event. Everyone is talking about this here, locally. I have seen nothing in the MSN tho.

That is one of the ten signs of the end of times.

It is at hand. Make sure you are wearing clean underoos at all times, you don't want to get raptured in dirty ones.

Make sure you have a fresh tin foil hat too. One of those aluminum coated workout suits would probably be a good idea as well.
:)
BigTex
Fission
Fission

Next

Return to Environment