Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Runaway Global Warming - Has Arrived pt 14

Re: Runaway Global Warming - Has Arrived pt 14

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 31 May 2017, 21:45:05

Climate science bedeviled by 'tipping points' discusses the very real risks of climate change tipping points:

https://phys.org/news/2017-01-climate-s ... viled.html

Extract: "Of the many things that keep climate scientists awake at night, tipping points may be the scariest.

To start with, these thresholds for deep, sometimes catastrophic change in the complex web of Earth's natural forces, caused by man-made global warming, are largely invisible.

You can't see them on the horizon, and could easily cross one without noticing.

Also, there is no turning back—at least not on a human timescale."
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby kiwichick » Thu 01 Jun 2017, 02:15:34

happy 1st day of summer to our Northern friends
kiwichick
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sun 11 Jun 2017, 01:55:41

Massive frozen methane domes at the bottom of Arctic sea could soon explode
On the seafloor of the Arctic Ocean, a field of huge frozen methane domes has caught the attention of scientists as they believe these structures could signal upcoming methane expulsions that have previously created massive craters in the area.

"We go on expeditions several times a year and are closely surveying this area. These domes are mounds of hydrates that are very sensitive to pressure and temperature," lead author Pavel Serov, PhD candidate at CAGE at UiT The Arctic University of Norway, told IBTimes UK.

"If the temperature rose just a little, they could collapse and methane could escape. The temperature in the ocean has not reached this critical level yet, but it's quite close. We believe that one step before the craters are created, you get these domes," Serov added.

link
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sun 11 Jun 2017, 02:33:27

A new study out of Harvard University reveals that the protective stratospheric ozone layer above the central United States is vulnerable to erosion during the summer months from ozone-depleting chemical reactions, exposing people, livestock and crops to the harmful effects of UV radiation.

Powerful storm systems common to the Great Plains inject water vapor that, with observed temperature variations, can trigger the same chemical reactions over the central United States that are the cause of ozone loss over the polar regions, according to a new paper published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The paper, led by James G. Anderson, the Philip S. Weld Professor of Atmospheric Chemistry at the Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS), found that stratospheric ozone concentrations over the United States in summer are vulnerable to both increases in water vapor and observed variations in temperature from storm systems over the Great Plains. Increased frequency and intensity of these storm systems, as well as longer-term decreases in stratospheric temperatures, are expected to accompany climate change.

Using extensive aircraft observations in the Arctic stratosphere from the early 2000's, researchers established the chemical framework defining enhanced ozone loss rates with respect to temperature and water vapor. Then they employed recent NEXRAD weather radar observations to demonstrate that on average 4000 storms each summer penetrate into the stratosphere over the central United States, which is far more frequent than was previously thought.

This combination of circumstances puts the stratosphere over states including Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, the Dakotas and states that border the Great Plains, at risk for chemical reactions that deplete ozone during summer, potentially leading to higher levels of exposure to damaging UV light from the sun.

"These developments were not predicted previously and they represent an important change in the assessment of the risk of increasing UV radiation over the central US in summer," said Mario J. Molina of the University of California San Diego, the 1995 Nobel Prize winner in stratospheric chemistry, who was not involved in this research.

Stratospheric ozone is one of the most delicate aspects of habitability on the planet. There is only marginally enough ozone in the stratosphere to provide protection from UV radiation for humans, animals and crops.

"Thunderstorms that hydrate the stratosphere can have significant local and regional impacts on Earth's radiation budget and climate," said Cameron R. Homeyer of the University of Oklahoma, a co-investigator on the paper. "This work demonstrates our increasing knowledge of such storms using ground-based and airborne observations and evaluates their potential for depleting stratospheric ozone now and in the future. The results strongly motivate the need for increased meteorological and chemical observations of such storms."

"Rather than large continental-scale ozone loss that occurs over the polar regions in winter characterized, for example, by the term Antarctic ozone hole, circumstances over the central US in summer are very different," said Anderson. "In particular, because of the very frequent storm-induced injection events detailed by studies at Texas A&M and the University of Oklahoma using advanced radar methods, this structure of highly localized but numerous regions of potential ozone loss requires carefully specified observational strategies and systematic surveillance in order to provide the basis for accurate weekly forecasts of ozone loss."

The researchers are calling for extensive characterization of the stratosphere over the central United States in order to forecast short-term and long-term ozone loss related to increasing frequency and intensity of storm systems, higher levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide and methane, and other factors.

link
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby pstarr » Sun 11 Jun 2017, 14:30:13

dohboi wrote:Climate science bedeviled by 'tipping points' discusses the very real risks of climate change tipping points:

https://phys.org/news/2017-01-climate-s ... viled.html

I thought it had already arrived, as per the thread title? For the 14th time lol

dohboi wrote:Extract: "Of the many things that keep climate scientists awake at night, tipping points may be the scariest.

To start with, these thresholds for deep, sometimes catastrophic change in the complex web of Earth's natural forces, caused by man-made global warming, are largely invisible.

Gotta agree re complex systems. yup. :idea: Like our world-wide industrial network, with its uncountable almost lifelike production nodes. All powered with petroleum. yikes :?
There's nothing deeper than love. In fairy tales, the princesses kiss the frogs, and the frogs become princes. In real life,the princesses kiss princes, and the princes turn into frogs

“Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.”
― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 15 Jun 2017, 17:14:25

Wellll, not exactly ALL powered by ONLY petroleum!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 015%29.svg
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

That guy

Unread postby Whitefang » Sun 25 Jun 2017, 10:15:34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysR4OxSco-o

Even some feedback on Shakova and her 50Gton ready for release anytime......

On how to live with death in mind.
Whitefang
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 25 Jun 2017, 16:10:22

Runaway GW discussed briefly here at about minute 7:

http://www.truthdig.com/avbooth/item/ch ... i_20170624
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Re: That guy

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 25 Jun 2017, 16:15:51

Whitefang wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysR4OxSco-o

Even some feedback on Shakova and her 50Gton ready for release anytime......

On how to live with death in mind.

From what I have gathered, this is the single most dangerous and likely area to initiate abrupt climate change
“"If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money"”
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Sun 25 Jun 2017, 23:06:40

In order to see the day time high temps for Russia and Asia on the Earth nullschool site, you have to be up late at night, in North America which is daytime on the other side of the planet. I've been having trouble sleeping lately and I'm often up in the middle of the night with nothing better to do than stare at this map:

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/w ... 041,50.557

Somehow temps of +30 Celsius in Siberia daily has rattled my nerves. Could someone who is not a layperson tell me that this is normal?
Rod_Cloutier
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Mon 26 Jun 2017, 01:22:38

Thanks for that Whitefang. Did not see a single error in his presentation. I loved where he said, the one good thing about human extinction is the jerks die too. :lol:

Cid_Yama
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vox_mundi » Mon 26 Jun 2017, 09:59:22

Deforestation in Amazon Basin Disrupts Distant Rainforest by Remote Climate Connection

Differences in temperature and precipitation resulting from land use change, represented as changes for dry season ((a) and (c), May–September) and wet season ((b) and (d), October–April).

Researchers from Lund University in Sweden and other institutions have now shown that peripheral deforestation could disrupt the entire Amazon rainforest’s resilience, that is, its long-term ability to recover from environmental changes, and the ability to absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.

... "Our study shows that the ongoing deforestation of the Amazon outskirts may have a negative impact on the entire rainforest", says Minchao Wu.

The explanation is that deforestation affects the climate both locally and regionally, creating a vicious circle. When the trees disappear from the outskirts of the forest, it creates significant local warming. Furthermore, it changes the air circulation patterns throughout the Amazon area during the dry season.

This chain of events is self-perpetuating and creates a vicious circle with an increasingly higher risk of disrupting the balance of the entire ecosystem.
The untouched inner parts of the Amazon rainforest are thus also at risk of adverse effects, even though the actual felling of trees takes place far away in the outermost areas.

"Our results indicate that this has already started to happen in the Amazon rainforest. Previous studies tend to underestimate such connections as simulated land-atmosphere interaction is also resolution-dependent, which means that the signals for changes in small-scale land use are likely to be much weaker in a coarse resolution model", says Minchao Wu.

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.10 ... a6fd6/meta

http://manoa.hawaii.edu/news/article.php?aId=8657

a–d, Number of days per year exceeding the threshold of temperature and humidity beyond which climatic conditions become deadly
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Fission
Fission

Unread postby jedrider » Mon 26 Jun 2017, 10:58:56

Cid_Yama wrote:Thanks for that Whitefang. Did not see a single error in his presentation. I loved where he said, the one good thing about human extinction is the jerks die too. :lol:

Watched a series of his presentations, especially that he think catastrophe is just 3-5 years away. He seems to be making that prognostication on the basis that 2016 temperatures records were off the charts and an indication that it is the beginning of the exponential rise in temperature. My qualm with that is that there are always outliers in statistical data and that it is a mistake to take an outlier as a true average. ??
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Mon 26 Jun 2017, 23:20:37

The global crop failures in 3-5 years, extinction will take a bit longer. We are a clever species. I know the Russians have been working on enclosed habitats, where I'm sure the wealthiest can buy a suite.

We probably have a secret program as well. The technology to build bases on the moon easily convert to terrestrial uses, and it will be possible to exchange with the outside wastes and resources.

Environmental suits could be used where outside work was required. And you would have a whole planet to salvage after the masses died off.

Not that I think such measures will prove viable for the long term as a certain level of population is necessary to maintain technology levels.

But the last of us could hold on for some time under such situations.

Cid_Yama
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby jedrider » Tue 27 Jun 2017, 11:00:03

I like that the Washington D.C. elite having extensive bomb shelter preparations. I think it's good to have them all in one place so we can routinely ignore them and insure their isolation. I see that DC is also surrounded by a good number of nuclear reactors. All the better when electricity delivery stops.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Wed 05 Jul 2017, 07:49:14

The thing about the two new methane blowholes, the previous one we had a clue to when it formed was in October after a long hot summer. One of these supposedly formed June 28th. These things could be popping off all summer.

Cid_Yama
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 05 Jul 2017, 11:26:13

They sure are popping Cid, check this out:
http://siberiantimes.com/other/others/n ... ermafrost/
Warnings of new Arctic explosions at some 700-plus sites in Yamal due to thawing permafrost
“"If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money"”
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 06 Jul 2017, 11:05:10

https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/07/06 ... -humanity/
The Pingo Evidence: Global Warming is a Threat to Humanity
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 08 Jul 2017, 10:09:28

More here:

Thousands of bulging methane bubbles could explode in Siberia

https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/clima ... de-siberia

Scientists estimate more than 7,000 dangerous methane 'bumps' have formed in the region over the last couple of years.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 09 Jul 2017, 16:30:38

well this puts an exclamation point to how bad things will get on this planet
http://www.iflscience.com/environment/w ... new-study/
We Are Heading For The Warmest Climate In Half A Billion Years, Says New Study
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to Environment