Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Rock Diplomacy

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Re: Rock Diplomacy

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 30 Mar 2016, 09:55:49

americandream wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:
GHung wrote:As I should have said so that the feeble-minded could grok things, it doesn't matter where the band comes from. Many of their tour contractors are American companies., and the producers of the videos apparently being made at the concert may be US corporations, and subject to all sorts of legal/copyright issues, etc..

Lawyers, Plant,, LAWYERS AND LOTS OF MONEY INVOLVED.

I shouldn't have to point this out to the feeble minded so they can grok things, but little to no money is involved in the Havana Concert. The Rolling Stones are playing a free concert. That means no ticket sales and no money.

As to your concern about US lawyers getting their knickers in a twist about the Stones playing in Havana, they have no power over the Cuban government and the Stones themselves have probably already told them to stuff it anyway.

Now that the Cuban Communist Party has changed their position on allowing rock and roll to be heard in Cuba, the Stones are going. IMHO its great that the Stones want to play a benefit concert in Havana ---- good for them. I hope they play "Street Fighting Man" and dedicate it to the 80+ yr old Castro Brothers and their very loyal retainers in the Cuban Communist Party!

Everywhere I hear the sound of marching, charging feet, boy
'Cause summer's here and the time is right for fighting in the street, boy
….
Hey! Think the time is right for a palace revolution
'Cause where I live the game to play is compromise solution
….
Hey! Said my name is called disturbance
I'll shout and scream, I'll kill the king, I'll rail at all his servants
Well, what can a poor boy do
Except to sing for a rock 'n' roll band
'Cause in sleepy London town
There's just no place for a street fighting man

Up Yours, elderly Communist prudes----the Stones are coming to HAVANA to play some of that decadent western rock and roll music!!!!!

Err...wasn't it termed n...er music once upon a time?

Actually that was Jazz, which has its origins with freed African American slaves in the post American Civil War era. Because the casualty rates were so high many musicians died in combat and the slaves and former slaves who were recruited for burial detail kept the personal items from the dead as payment for their labor. They had almost no training in the use of the instruments so they created music that sounded good to them, but which was very different from the music of formally trained musicians who studied western style music in the 1800's. This is also where American 'Fiddle' music came from, poor whites who received stringed instruments like violins as recompense for burial details during the war created a whole different way of playing the Violin.

At least that is what my History of American Music course taught me way back before Political Correctness took over the education system in the USA.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rock Diplomacy

Unread postby americandream » Wed 30 Mar 2016, 17:29:09

Nah mate. Rock is pure African rhythms your lessons notwithstanding. Listen to African street music sometime and your black church music. That said, the emergence of an African based music styles now synonymous with Western culture is to be expected as this in essence is how world culture will develop...a lot of the esoteric stuff we take for granted is rooted in Asian cultural input (this penchant for the mystical and matriarchal so evident with some on here as an example)...and conversly, this synthesis goers on elsewhere in the world as whole chunks of Western cultural input are absorbed by other cultural systems, notably the big one, capitalist social relations...and a world culture is emerging....subject of course to attempts by the Arab elite to usurp the reigns with the imposition by stealth of Islamic laws...which is the subjective seeking to hijack the objective.

And this annoying tendency to label capitalist liberalism political correctness is utter flubbery by those who simply ignore the underlying trends so evidently necessary in a unitised and universal market.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Previous

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics