Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

RIP Michael Ruppert

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: RIP Michael Ruppert

Unread postby jesus_of_suburbia » Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:02:03

It's almost as dumb as thinking Mike's suicide was orchestrated by the government.
jesus_of_suburbia
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Armageddon » Tue 29 Apr 2014, 09:04:49

jesus_of_suburbia wrote:It's almost as dumb as thinking Mike's suicide was orchestrated by the government.

Then I guess you haven't followed MR's life very close.
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby jesus_of_suburbia » Tue 29 Apr 2014, 11:27:04

If you pull 100 people off the street and asked them who Mike Ruppert was, I would bet 100 would have no clue. The government doesn't assassinate people no one gives a shit about. The guy was living in a tent out in the middle of nowhere. He had well-known psychological issues. He missed the mark on so many of his predictions. He was on Savinar's astrology show talking about a government cover-up of aliens. Do you really think it would take that much effort to discredit and marginalize someone like him? It takes none. He just has to be himself.
jesus_of_suburbia
Peat
Peat

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Tue 29 Apr 2014, 13:59:44

He had the ability to communicate the End of Oil and to make you understand the implications.

He was a "fast crash" believer. I was also one for a while. But there are enough talented and caring people that BAU will continue for decades of steadily increasing poverty. IOW - "slow crash".
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby TheDude » Tue 29 Apr 2014, 18:42:02

jesus_of_suburbia wrote:If you pull 100 people off the street and asked them who Mike Ruppert was, I would bet 100 would have no clue.

The most famous film critic in America gave Mike's flick 4 out of 4 stars. Collapse Movie Review & Film Summary (2009) | Roger Ebert
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 29 Apr 2014, 19:29:30

You can see Michael Ruppert in the movie "Collapse" in its entirety on YouTube

Collapse

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jesus_of_suburbia » Tue 29 Apr 2014, 20:17:20

TheDude wrote:
jesus_of_suburbia wrote:If you pull 100 people off the street and asked them who Mike Ruppert was, I would bet 100 would have no clue.

The most famous film critic in America gave Mike's flick 4 out of 4 stars. Collapse Movie Review & Film Summary (2009) | Roger Ebert

I'm sure Ebert loved the work of French director Francois Truffant. That doesn't mean a man off the street could pick him out of a lineup.

Compare the attention they give to Ruppert as opposed to people like Julian Assange and Edward Snowden. Right, there is no comparison. Ruppert took knowledge that is widely available and put his own spin on it for personal gain. He failed and ended up broke and homeless. Not because of the government, but because he was a zealot who overvalued his own importance.

The information was there before Ruppert, he was just able to reach a certain audience. Namely, paranoid, reactionary weirdos.
jesus_of_suburbia
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Loki » Wed 30 Apr 2014, 00:46:14

pstarr wrote:So Ebert, TheDude, and I are paranoid reactionary weirdos? Say what you may about the rest, but TheDude is certainly not paranoid.

But he is a reactionary weirdo? :razz:

I recently watched Collapse for the first time. Pretty intense in parts. Puts his suicide in context. Serious financial problems, female problems, legal problems (related to female problems), obvious mental health issues, and probably physical health issues.

He struck me as a storyteller, someone who had to have a cohesive narrative to explain everything. I tend to trust people who have more questions than answers. Those who have an answer for everything are always full of shit, without exception.
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ralfy » Wed 30 Apr 2014, 06:10:30

Synopsis:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collapse_ ... 9#Synopsis

In general, we are looking at the effects of peak oil, global warming and environmental damage, and financial crisis. Couple that with high military spending, the proliferation of armaments, the use of military forces for political and economic advantages, etc.

These points have been raised many times in this forum, now appear more often in mainstream media, and are discussed in various reports published by military organizations, banks, etc.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pops » Wed 30 Apr 2014, 07:09:33

Loki wrote:Those who have an answer for everything are always full of shit, without exception.

Truer words were never tapped.
(even 42 was the wrong answer, or was it the right answer to the wrong question?)
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 30 Apr 2014, 07:15:12

My impression of the essence of Permaculture and similar methods of growing food is that it IS full of shit, and the Farmer spends the majority of his time in managing such shit, while standing it it with a manure fork.

Yet here we are six years after Ruppert gave the interview that was the basis for Collapse, and we have not collapsed, and it would appear that we are no closer to collapsing than we were six years ago.

Ruppert opened my eyes to the PO phenomenon. But ultimately, he was wrong in those and every other prediction of doom he made. Which was more than he could handle, even though his position in life only required him to give interviews and publish his opinions in various fashions in various Forums.

Can the rest of you tolerate it if the World does not collapse in your lifetime? That is in fact the most likely scenario IMHO, since most people are devoting their lives to preserving Business As Usual. Can you handle being "dear old" <insert name> who is waiting for the World to end, the most strange of the elderly relatives?
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Strummer » Wed 30 Apr 2014, 08:49:43

KaiserJeep wrote:Can the rest of you tolerate it if the World does not collapse in your lifetime? That is in fact the most likely scenario IMHO, since most people are devoting their lives to preserving Business As Usual. Can you handle being "dear old" <insert name> who is waiting for the World to end, the most strange of the elderly relatives?

I have since long realized that instead of a collapse, there will be a prolonged decay. I have been patiently telling that to my friends, and most of them started realizing it after 2008. I definitely don't fear being a strange relative, I expect to become more of a "told-you-so, enjoy your mortgages, your houses in run-down places that you can't get rid of, your unemployed children, and those pensions that you spent your lifetime saving for, whoops, those pensions don't exist anymore" type. When I was telling friends in 2005 that the economy is running on unsustainable debt, that the property bubble in our city is totally overblown, most people just laughed. Well, they don't laugh anymore with the property prices crashing down, wages going down, and people being laid off everywhere around them.
Strummer
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Subjectivist » Wed 30 Apr 2014, 08:58:23

I related to the Collapse movie so strongly I convinced my wife to watch it with me. When it was done I asked what she thought, her reaction was they mostly sound like what I had been telling her for years.

Collapse means different things to different people. If you are unemployed and lose your home for you that is collapse even if half your neighbors are getting by just fine.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Pops » Wed 30 Apr 2014, 09:44:50

Strummer wrote:When I was telling friends in 2005 that the economy is running on unsustainable debt, that the property bubble in our city is totally overblown, most people just laughed. Well, they don't laugh anymore with the property prices crashing down, wages going down, and people being laid off everywhere around them.

Check.

KaiserJeep wrote:Can the rest of you tolerate it . .

Do you still beat your wife? LOL

That the most dire predictions haven't materialized is no more relevant than that neither have the most optimistic. The difference of course is that optimism is better for profits (see: Yergin, Daniel).

Your casual strawman assumes the "rest of us" expect collapse a la MR. In fact I'd think most expect a slow grind and might actually be surprised that so many of the bad things predicted have so soon come to pass, and indeed become the new normal - high oil prices, flat production, demand destruction, economic stagnation, asset deflation, resource war, Trickle-Up economics, environmental degradation, etc.

I think you mentioned your net worth took a real beating over the last years, multiply that times some large number of people who are quietly rowing along in the same boat and you have the reality of "collapse" up close, not in internet-time but in real-time.

That things aren't uniformly peachy I think is recognized pretty widely so I wouldn't worry too much about the folks thinking you are wacky.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby ennui2 » Sun 04 May 2014, 10:02:40

Armageddon wrote:
jesus_of_suburbia wrote:It's almost as dumb as thinking Mike's suicide was orchestrated by the government.

Then I guess you haven't followed MR's life very close.

Once you throw Occam's Razor away and go purely based on "them" as this omnipresent evil force you've just locked into your own dystopian novel instead of living in the real world. That is the definition of real slavery, not anything truther types warn people about. Slavery to your own delusions of complete fatalism that in some way help distract people or absolve them from responsibility for their own immediate circumstances.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

death of Michael Ruppert

Unread postby aldente » Thu 30 Oct 2014, 14:53:19

Just learned that Michael Ruppert is not among us any longer.

Here my five cents:

Peak Oil in essence is nothing but a fascinaction with Carl Gauss' recognition of "any" bell curve during the end 1700'ths - call it a "theorem" - and there are many of those....

This fellow did observe (or conclude) that bell curves are surrounding us statistically (shall we call him the father of statistics therefore - probably so)...

Since Matt Savinar and the determined Michael Ruppert are not in the annals of history at this point the story is a clear cut one: Rock Oil was indeed an invented myth out of Geneva 1895 and this forum runs.

Gauss himself is still wondering about the recognition of his conclusion - how can we therefore deliver statements?

Peak Oil still remains the most wonderous mystery of our times.

aldente
Permanently Banned

Re: death of Michael Ruppert

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Fri 31 Oct 2014, 20:15:24

I want to become the new Michael Ruppert.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 31 Oct 2014, 20:23:10

Emulating one who loved to prosthelise & project doomsday dates, then took the ultimate wimp's end when his prophesy failed... How is this different to emulating some Pentecostal preacher or Wahabist Jihadi?

(There is already an extensive thread on Ruppert & his demise, this thread should go there.)
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 31 Oct 2014, 21:17:44

SeaGypsy wrote:Emulating one who loved to prosthelise & project doomsday dates, then took the ultimate wimp's end when his prophesy failed... How is this different to emulating some Pentecostal preacher or Wahabist Jihadi?

(There is already an extensive thread on Ruppert & his demise, this thread should go there.)

Reading things here and there, it looks like he had bipolar. I always suspected that; just reading about that stuff, like him being a LA cop and everyone out to get him etc. and something about the CIA and then for a while he was in Venezuela or something. And then big ambitious projects that seem to always fly off the wheels and have some drama and problems.

I'm not making fun of it. That's just all classic bipolar.

I never read his books. I heard a couple of podcasts and he actually didn't come off as Alex Jones over the top or anything, that was a good podcast.

I loved the movie "Collapse" -- he wasn't an actor, but goodness that charisma and presence. Again, typical of bipolar.

The big key to bipolar is just knowing you have it, there's 90% of the battle. Suicide is a major cause of death and risk factor, for bipolar.

It's likely Robin Williams had bipolar. I've known two bipolars, one attempted suicide and one did it.

It's an illness they aren't wimps, I just wish people with bipolar would recognize that and I don't see why they don't have that self awareness you know?

Ya gotta know when you're deluded, if at least you know it then you'll be alright! :lol:

I never met Ruppert or anything, you know, I just think maybe he went too far down that rabbit hole. This doomer stuff is *depressing*. Can you imagine that being your work? It would drive anyone mad. From what I've seen of Alex Jones, he seems to be doing it as a business and turns the radio personality "off" when not at work.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion