Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Real Estate bubble in your neck of the woods?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Real Estate bubble in your neck of the woods?

Unread postby phaster » Fri 30 May 2014, 00:08:13

was driving around today listening to the radio and there happened to be a segment on real estate.

basically in my neck of the woods, real estate in 2014 is now more expensive than the peak prices of 2007 (just before the bust), yet the "experts" say there isn't a bubble!

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2014/may/29/sa ... es-easing/

I just happen to have a few residential/commercial rental properties and looking at the valuations, it just kinda blows my mind

historically a quick and dirty way for a real estate investor to benchmark a property is use the GRM (gross rent multiplier) which in my neck of the woods has has ranged between 8 on the low end to 13 on the high end

http://realestate.about.com/od/knowthem ... howgrm.htm

had some brokers pitch me a property a few weeks ago and they mentioned one sale that they had was 18.5 (which I calculated is 3 standard deviations from the mean)

Sure california is "historically" higher than the national average, but an article just published caught my eye (San Diego had the second highest housing market salary requirements)

http://www.hsh.com/finance/mortgage/sal ... ities.html

Even though I'm closer to the 1% than most in terms of real estate wealth, this trend in "local" real estate prices is something I find troubling and have to wonder are the "experts" missing signs like they did back before the peak then crash that happened just a few years ago...

Personally I don't think an investment in real estate in my neck of the woods can be economically justified because the rents can't service the loans on a property
truth is,...

www.ThereIsNoPlanet-B.org
phaster
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Real Estate bubble in your neck of the woods?

Unread postby copious.abundance » Fri 30 May 2014, 00:30:50

California and the Bo-Wash corridor are outliers.

Here Are The Most Expensive Places In America

Check out the map in the article. You just happen to live in one of the most expensive places in the country.
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Fri 30 May 2014, 01:08:40

There's a website for that:
http://patrick.net/
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby phaster » Fri 30 May 2014, 01:30:02

copious.abundance wrote:California and the Bo-Wash corridor are outliers.

Here Are The Most Expensive Places In America

Check out the map in the article. You just happen to live in one of the most expensive places in the country.

I'll be the first to admit I live in one of the most expensive places in the country to live, BUT the point I was trying to make and of great concern is the economic trend I am seeing is it more unsustainable now than it was a few years ago! Hence I conclude there must be some kind of "reversion to the mean," or put another way I'm kinda worried about the "local" economy crashing because of "unsustaiable" housing costs for one, or "unsustaiable" underfunder public employee pensions.

http://articles.latimes.com/2014/apr/09 ... a-20140410

http://www.city-journal.org/2013/23_1_calpers.html

All I'm saying is times are kinda OK for now, but watch out starting the summer 2015 and after, because I see all kinda of trends forming for a nasty "perfect storm"
truth is,...

phaster
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Fri 30 May 2014, 07:09:55

Our local market has been going backwards or treading water for years.(its pretty remote)
Here the peak was pre GFC and we are less than half that in some places.
I was getting phone calls out of the blue with mad offers before the GFC and I wasnt even for sale.
Now the neighbours have had for sales signs up for years with no bites.
While capital cities and especially inner city is still going through the roof
Dads house is apparently going up at nearly 30% a year 2 years in a row.
Australian urban real estate is going mad and its only a matter of time before it pops.
But its being driven by rapidly increasing population (immigration),self funded retirees buying property for their personal superannuation funds and rich Chinese(and other Asian) investors.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Fri 30 May 2014, 07:33:40

Monkey - I'm not sure if it qualifies as a bubble but the market remains strong in Texas especially in hot spots like Austin. Even after the big economic bust back in '08 houses in Austin seldom stayed on the market for more than a month. During the boom it was only three days and on average sold above asking price. Similar to your neck of the woods: constant increase in population for job opportunities and a boom in salaries. The highest rate of salary increases over the last few years has been in the middle to higher income brackets. It might slide some if oil prices drop a lot but I wouldn't expect that to happen unless the country/world slips back into a serious recession. And if that happens Texas will probably feel less pain the other states.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby peterjames » Fri 30 May 2014, 08:16:39

How is it that this particular thread is able to disconnect from the rest of the forum. Of course there is a real estate bubble. In a world without oil, I suspect in 30 years time, a house will equal 100 cans of baked beans. Thus right now, a house is worth 500,000 cans of baked beans, and over the next 30 years, it will decrease ( or baked beans will increase), until it is equal to 100 cans. Thats a bubble. You may even be able to pick up a 50th floor penthouse apartment for 10 cans (although you wont feel like taking your other 90 cans up).
peterjames
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Pops » Fri 30 May 2014, 08:38:54

Found this map of rent vs buy, pretty cool
http://www.trulia.com/vis/rentvsbuy-summer-2013/

Also this for san Diego (you've probably found it already, phaster)
http://piggington.com/

That is his personal brew of price/rent/income and it is perfect! Back in 2000-2001 when I thought the market was about to top I found a chart showing the real estate cycle is about 12-14 years going back to the war. This chart shows just how out of whack things got when instead of values falling in 2001 after the .dot bust, deregulation let all the money that was in the markets flow into RE with no restrictions on what kind of flim flam the mortgage "industry" could pull and it went out of sight. Since the "industry" no longer had to hold their own paper, they turned into used car salesmen - everyone from the local agent to the mort. broker, inspector, appraiser, underwriter and right on up the line to the slicer/dicer/ CDO hukster had no skin in the game so the only motive was commission and the final buyer got a black box with a worthless warranty from a rating agency in the seller's pocket!

What could go wrong?

Anyway, you can see from his chart that SD prices never did reach the typical low "clearing point" around the "index" level of 85 because of the government's continued bankrolling of the flim-flammery! - Damn, that pisses me off! Because of that, his index is actually back above the typical top value of 120 and I'd guess a bunch of crappy loans are still out there. So just on the value of that chart, I'd say you're heading into bubble territory and it seems logical that without major intervention like we have and have had, when that index falls, like it always does, it will fall at least to the typical historic clearing point if not further.

Personally, I think replacement cost is the best gauge, if buying existing is more than a few percent higher than building new, then it's too high. But I don't own any investment property so don't listen to me, LOL

And to PJs point, the world today doesn't work on PO time, it's still on OIl Age time, it mostly counts it's wealth in virtual bytes. But in the future, just like in the past, real wealth will be in the physical. The trick is to make the transition because someone will still be needing a roof and a payment in pork n beans will make wealth measurable in actual bites.

LOL.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 30 May 2014, 08:51:22

I sometimes wonder if future Historians will divide our history into three periods, Before Oil, up to say 1850, Plentiful oil 1851-2005, and After Oil 2005----
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby peterjames » Fri 30 May 2014, 09:12:47

Pops wrote:And to PJs point, the world today doesn't work on PO time, it's still on OIl Age time, it mostly counts it's wealth in virtual bytes. But in the future, just like in the past, real wealth will be in the physical. The trick is to make the transition because someone will still be needing a roof and a payment in pork n beans will make wealth measurable in actual bites.
LOL.

Pops, no doubt people will still want a roof over their head, but only those who have eaten. Those who have starved to death, will be laying around, not looking for any shelter. Plus housing is priced to suit the population, I cant see great pent up demand for housing, if the housing stock stays the same, but population decreases by 30 or 50%.

Even if life does continue somewhat normal after FF depletion, I foresee law and order getting a little questionable. 3 households of 3 families are more likely to
become 1 household of 3 families, for protection and warmth etc.
peterjames
Wood
Wood

Unread postby AgentR11 » Fri 30 May 2014, 09:42:38

Nope.

Nice, comfortable houses available here all through the $100-200k range. Jobs are fine, commerce is fine. Mine's valued by the taxguy at about $80K, probably sell for a $100k or so if I did the lawn and got out a bucket of paint...

Its just not trendy to live here.

You want trendy, you PAY for trendy.. and pay big.

There was a similar article in the FT about UK housing, turns out, if you look at the country as a whole, housing has been getting more affordable over the past decade or so... *BUT* in the heart of London, trendy-central, prices are through the roof.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pops » Fri 30 May 2014, 10:00:09

peterjames wrote:Even if life does continue somewhat normal after FF depletion, I foresee law and order getting a little questionable. 3 households of 3 families are more likely to

What then is a peaker to do with his money? You can only buy so many bullets and beans - better to buy a fishing pole than a fish.

I saw the last bubble in CA coming and cashed out to move to the Ozarks. The value of the property we sold has fallen by a couple hundred thou, just evaporated into thin air. We converted the froth into actual physical land.

Will this land be worth $200k 10-20-40 years down the road? Who knows? But, who cares? It will still be 40 acres and a roof and that is the point for the peaker, convert the bytes into bites!
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby SILENTTODD » Fri 30 May 2014, 11:19:32

Prices are rising again in Southern California. My best friend bought a house in Riverside California (which is nowhere near a beach!) for $280K two and a half years ago, at the bottom of the market. It's assessed value has gone up over $100K in that time.

My friend is a realtor herself and she tells me over half of her business involves cash offers from investors. They are not having to borrow the money.
Skeptical scrutiny in both Science and Religion is the means by which deep thoughts are winnowed from deep nonsense-Carl Sagan
SILENTTODD
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pops » Fri 30 May 2014, 12:08:21

LOL, P!
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby FoxV » Fri 30 May 2014, 12:33:50

I'll chime in with my little antidote.

I'm in a medium size town in Eastern Ontario, Cornwall that has been going through a mini housing boom lately. Although good for me and the great location/house/deal I have, however it is not a good thing for the rest of the country.

My town is (was) an industrial town in the post-industrial age. With the long death of factories and good paying jobs property values in my town are half the national average and a quarter of the big bubble cities (of which we are close too).

Now that everyone has been hosed on their savings and retirement plans they are selling there small and expensive houses in the big city and retiring to a large and cheap house here. I don't have an official number but I think 10% appreciation per year since 2010 is not unreasonable.

As for what you guys in the US are experiencing. It isn't so much a housing bubble as it is a Big Funds liquidity bubble chasing yeilds in REITS and rental "investments". All cash purchases are through the roof while home ownership is declining. Welcome to the Rentor society.

I say "Investments" though because being a landlord within the REIT model is doomed to fail, especially for single family homes. Margins on house rentals are thin and only work if you personally know your tenants and do most if not all the repairs. Add in property manager fees, Trust fees and repairs for unvested or even disenfranchised tenants and there won't be much left for a yield payout.

Its a bubble brought on by clueless financiers and easy helicopter money. It will only last as long as "The check is in the mail". And with GDP printing -1%? Hmm, I guess the mailman lost that check, again. :P
FoxV
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 30 May 2014, 14:07:52

Pops wrote:
peterjames wrote:Even if life does continue somewhat normal after FF depletion, I foresee law and order getting a little questionable. 3 households of 3 families are more likely to

What then is a peaker to do with his money? You can only buy so many bullets and beans - better to buy a fishing pole than a fish.

I saw the last bubble in CA coming and cashed out to move to the Ozarks. The value of the property we sold has fallen by a couple hundred thou, just evaporated into thin air. We converted the froth into actual physical land.

Will this land be worth $200k 10-20-40 years down the road? Who knows? But, who cares? It will still be 40 acres and a roof and that is the point for the peaker, convert the bytes into bites!

That's a germane question for us as we are at retirement age, but still working part time. In our early 40's we were each recently divorced and broke. Around 94 we bought a three story, four apt brownstone for about $350. We are now nearly paid off on that. Zillow puts it at about $1.2 m.

So do we cash out? Or do we sit tight? Retirement means moving onto the boat, which is paid off. So we can realize maybe $30k per year in rent income. Not a lot for the value of the capital investment.

Of the other hand it is a real thing, somewhat impervious to inflation/deflation. It is unlikely to disappear. Paper investments CAN disappear, overnight, but require less upkeep. That said, it's in a desirable neighborhood, we get a lot of U OF p grad students or professors. They are building condos any place possible.

We've already got the fishing poles, guns, boat, and remote get outta dodge cabin.

So, yeah, what's a Peaker to do with his money?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Pops » Fri 30 May 2014, 15:05:52

I don't see people leaving town for a while. High density, high value property sounds like a good thing to own as long as you own it clear.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby phaster » Fri 30 May 2014, 16:03:35

Pops wrote:Found this map of rent vs buy, pretty cool
http://www.trulia.com/vis/rentvsbuy-summer-2013/

Also this for san Diego (you've probably found it already, phaster)
http://piggington.com/

That is his personal brew of price/rent/income and it is perfect! Back in 2000-2001 when I thought the market was about to top I found a chart showing the real estate cycle is about 12-14 years going back to the war. This chart shows just how out of whack things got when instead of values falling in 2001 after the .dot bust, deregulation let all the money that was in the markets flow into RE with no restrictions on what kind of flim flam the mortgage "industry" could pull and it went out of sight. Since the "industry" no longer had to hold their own paper, they turned into used car salesmen - everyone from the local agent to the mort. broker, inspector, appraiser, underwriter and right on up the line to the slicer/dicer/ CDO hukster had no skin in the game so the only motive was commission and the final buyer got a black box with a worthless warranty from a rating agency in the seller's pocket!

What could go wrong?

Anyway, you can see from his chart that SD prices never did reach the typical low "clearing point" around the "index" level of 85 because of the government's continued bankrolling of the flim-flammery! - Damn, that pisses me off! Because of that, his index is actually back above the typical top value of 120 and I'd guess a bunch of crappy loans are still out there. So just on the value of that chart, I'd say you're heading into bubble territory and it seems logical that without major intervention like we have and have had, when that index falls, like it always does, it will fall at least to the typical historic clearing point if not further.

Personally, I think replacement cost is the best gauge, if buying existing is more than a few percent higher than building new, then it's too high. But I don't own any investment property so don't listen to me, LOL

And to PJs point, the world today doesn't work on PO time, it's still on OIl Age time, it mostly counts it's wealth in virtual bytes. But in the future, just like in the past, real wealth will be in the physical. The trick is to make the transition because someone will still be needing a roof and a payment in pork n beans will make wealth measurable in actual bites.

LOL.

What could go wrong? hehehehe

I'm in a unique market in that I was lucky enuf to inherit some real estate in a HOT market (but it wasn't always this way)

My parents were 25+ years ahead of their time when they decided to move from the burbs back into the urban core (and could buy alot of house and rentals for the money they had)

So I find myself now asset rich and "relatively" cash poor.

Call me crazy, but I kinda see an "unsustaiable" bubble and would like to trade (actually borrow) against equity for cash (basically your idea of bytes for bites!)

PS even looked at replacement costs, and that factor makes me wealthier on paper, to give ya an example a seven unit rental just up the street from one of my properties is listed for 2.5 mil. Its being sold "asis" because its listed as a historical propery and could not be torn down to build higher desnisty condos or rowhomes.

Ever see the movie, end of surburbia? Well it seems here in San Diego the urban core is "Trendy" and prices reflect that, and surburbia even though it too is rising in values - its not rising as fast!! I've seen this trend first hand in London, San Fransisco, etc... I'm just wondering how long this trend can go on.
truth is,...

phaster
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Next

Return to Economics & Finance