Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Rare Earth Elements are rapidly depleting.

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Rare Earth Elements are rapidly depleting.

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Wed 15 Apr 2015, 16:11:45

Just read this article.

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/arch ... ing-supply

Like Richard Heinberg once said, the world is rapidly running out of rare earth elements. None of my fears of industrial civilization collapsing or grinding to a halt are based on false assumptions. Richard Heinberg, Michael Ruppert and other peak oilers were right about there being a "peak everything" crisis.

Rare Earth Elements are critical to our economy because we need them to construct computers (like TVs, desktops, laptops, ipods, cellphones, video game consoles, and etc) and implement green technologies like solar panels and wind turbines. The reason rare Earth elements are rapidly depleting is because the demand for them is simply too high thanks to the fact that the world's population is now too high. In the near future, expect computer products to become much more expensive as the rare earth metals used to construct them become much more scarce and expensive. I'm concerned about this because this means we soon will not able to make anymore computers and renewable energy technologies. This is all thanks to shortages of rare earth elements.

Like Richard Heinberg once said, we need to "recycle nonrenewable resources, and use renewable resources at a rate that's no more than their rate of replenishment". Unfortunately, we are doing neither. Here's a fun statistic. Only 12.5% of e-waste is actually recycled. The other 87.5% of e-waste is simply lost forever since we just toss it out and not recycle it. That's a horrific waste of the world's natural resources. E-waste contains rare earth elements, which are not being recycled and being simply wasted forever. And we are also using renewable resources like trees, top soil, fish and water at a faster rate than they replenish, meaning those resources are depleting too. Unless we follow Richard Heinberg's advice, we are screwed as a species.

Here are some things you can encourage. Encourage the government to recycle all e-waste. That way we can never run out of rare earth elements used for creating computers and renewable energy technologies. There should be e-waste recycling centers, and also e-waste recycling bins. What I noticed is a lack of e-waste recycling bins in the area I live, which is a shame. There needs to be recycling bins for e-waste! Also, we need to use renewable resources (like fish, water, top soil and wood) at rate that's no more than their rate of replenishment. The bottom line is RECYCLE EVERYTHING especially nonrenewable resources like rare earth elements. The Earth simply cannot create anymore nonrenewable resources. We only have a finite amount of nonrenewable resources, and if you use it all up, there will be no more for future generations.

I find it disgusting that most e-waste is not recycled and simply left to rot in the ground. I think we can make a difference in how we dispose of our e-waste. Next time you need to throw away a broken computer (i.e. laptop, desktop, video game console, cellphone, ipod) please send it to a e-waste disposal center for proper recycling of the computer.

That's all I am saying. I hope you enjoyed reading this message.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Rare Earth Elements are rapidly depleting.

Unread postby kublikhan » Wed 15 Apr 2015, 16:22:37

DesuMaiden, that article is 5 years old. The rare earth situation has changed dramatically since then. Of course recycling is a good idea and I fully support it. But no need to go running around like the sky is falling.

Following a World Trade Organization ruling, China in January announced it's abolishing its decade-old export quota system for rare earths.

But even before the lifting of quotas the country's rare earth exports started to expand rapidly. Customs data show export volumes grew 27.3% in 2014. At the same time the average export price of rare earth products plummeted 47.8% from the year before and the third year in a row of sharp declines.

China is due to lift export taxes on rare earths in May, which could add further pressure on prices.
Just when you thought rare earth prices couldn't fall any further
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 15 Apr 2015, 16:28:42

Desu, I have always used an approved e-waste recycler, because my employer mandates it. That has NOT made any difference, because our approved e-waste recyclers were selling the stuff to the high bidders in Africa and Bangladesh and other 3rd world countries. There they were doing only the grossest of salvage before burning the fiberglass circuit boards to salvage the remaining copper, lead, and gold.

Mandating recycling does no good unless you also establish standards for keeping those recycled materials from becoming air, water, and soil pollutants. My company has made an effort to identify and selectively utilize those e-waste recyclers that are doing a good job of not polluting, but that is simply not possible in many countries where we do business - nor is it possible for us to export e-waste to another country without the export licenses for e-waste.

I share your concerns, but it's not possible to comply, more times than not.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 15 Apr 2015, 16:40:40

KaiserJeep wrote:I share your concerns, but it's not possible to comply, more times than not.

Like almost everything, recycling is a business, and if it doesn't benefit someone's bottom line, then it's not going to happen much, at least most of the time.

In my midsized midwestern city, for example, it's VERY difficult to recycle hazardous waste for an ordinary citizen. If you have computers, you can take those to the government recycling center most business days, and they'll take them since they can harvest the circuit boards.

Now. How about just about ANY other common hazardous material? Chemicals, batteries, paint, etc.

Nope -- they won't take that. I even tried to PAY to get them to take it and deal with it in a "responsible" way. Nope - they told me to go away (in so many words).

Now, supposedly, ONCE A YEAR for four hours, you can go stand in a huge line with all the suckers and try to get rid of your hazardous waste -- if the place doesn't close before you get through the line. (And how much gas do people burn in such a line, etc?)

I'll know when they're serious about properly disposing of hazardous waste when it's reasonable to do so on a regular basis. (And I won't be holding my breath expecting meaningful change).

And meanwhile, such things ARE disposed of. In the landfill or the storm drain, etc. :roll: Once again, government doing such a terrific job.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby dolanbaker » Wed 15 Apr 2015, 17:03:28

China's strategy was a short term success but may be an eventual long term failure as it has forced countries to restart mining operations that were undercut by Chinese mined minerals in the past.
By restricting their exports, manufacturers who had become to depend on the minerals were crippled and Chinese manufacturers had a lead in the production in the end products.
Now that has changed again and many rare Earths are widely available for global manufacturers to obtain.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby kublikhan » Wed 15 Apr 2015, 17:27:46

Not so long ago, the U.S. went into full panic mode. China had reached the point where it controlled 97% of the world's rare earth elements—minerals that play a crucial role in manufacturing high-tech products. Were they right to fear that Beijing has a stranglehold over the global economy?

The Market Strikes Back
So, what happened? How did China suddenly lose its status as the Master of the Earth's Crust, poised to blackmail the U.S. economy? Well, for starters, there might not have been a crisis to begin with. Beijing's attempt to use its supply of REE as a political or economic weapon has proven to be ineffective.

The embargo that wasn't: What the Chinese government says and what Chinese companies do are often two different things. Chinese producers found various loopholes to evade the embargo.

Demand Destruction: Concerns over the reliability of REE supplies has prodded private sector innovations that are reducing demand: some users remembered that they did not need the high performance of specialized rare earth magnets; they were merely using them because, at least until the 2010 episode, they were relatively inexpensive and convenient.

New Suppliers: Investors in the United States, Japan and Australia were already opening rare earth mines and building new processing capabilities, and other investors were moving ahead on mines around the world in places like Canada, South Africa and Kazakhstan. Major investments made by the Lynas Corporation in Australia and Malaysia started delivering non-Chinese rare earths to markets last year. When rare earth prices surged in 2010, hundreds of companies around the world started raising money for new mining projects. Although Chinese producers will still contribute a substantial majority of rare earth elements, competition from the rest of the world will moderate Chinese pricing power.

As Gholz reminds us, the 2010 panic was just the latest in a series of exaggerated crises over natural resources. Before rare earth elements dominated the headlines, the U.S. was fretting over titanium imports from Russia. "When people briefly feared that rare earths would make the oil experience more like the 'new rule,' their fears turned out to be largely misplaced."
How China's "Rare Earth" Weapon Went From Boom To Bust

China, the world's biggest supplier of rare earth, is likely to see its global market share shrink to 65 percent in 2015 as the number of competitors increases.
China's rare earth market share squeezed as competitors increase
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Wed 15 Apr 2015, 18:02:02

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
KaiserJeep wrote:I share your concerns, but it's not possible to comply, more times than not.

Like almost everything, recycling is a business, and if it doesn't benefit someone's bottom line, then it's not going to happen much, at least most of the time.

In my midsized midwestern city, for example, it's VERY difficult to recycle hazardous waste for an ordinary citizen. If you have computers, you can take those to the government recycling center most business days, and they'll take them since they can harvest the circuit boards.

Now. How about just about ANY other common hazardous material? Chemicals, batteries, paint, etc.

Nope -- they won't take that. I even tried to PAY to get them to take it and deal with it in a "responsible" way. Nope - they told me to go away (in so many words).

Now, supposedly, ONCE A YEAR for four hours, you can go stand in a huge line with all the suckers and try to get rid of your hazardous waste -- if the place doesn't close before you get through the line. (And how much gas do people burn in such a line, etc?)

I'll know when they're serious about properly disposing of hazardous waste when it's reasonable to do so on a regular basis. (And I won't be holding my breath expecting meaningful change).

And meanwhile, such things ARE disposed of. In the landfill or the storm drain, etc. :roll: Once again, government doing such a terrific job.

Capitalism is a stupid belief system that puts profit and money above all else. Who cares if we can't make anymore computers and green technology in the future as long as we can make as much money as possible right now? That's how capitalists think. They don't care about future generations. All capitalists care about is reaping short-term profits and maximizing the amount of money they can make in the short-term. They don't give two damns about the fate of humanity and sustainability. In fact, the only reason companies have to be environmentally-friendly sometimes is because the government forces them to be. I have zero faith in our capitalist system, and I believe it will crash soon.

In a sane and sustainable society, we will would be recycling every part of a computer (the plastics and metals) to make sure we can make more computers in the future. But in our society, where profit and money are the only things that matter, everything in the computer is thrown away and wasted. Nobody gives a damn about whether we are able to make computers in the future because all they care about is making as much money in the short-term. Capitalism is stupid. Anyone who believes that it is a good thing has obviously been brainwashed, and only cares about making as much money as possible in the shortest period of time by doing the most unethical things.

In a sane and ethical society, we should be making new computers out of recycled parts from recycled, old computers. But we don't do that because that doesn't make enough money for greedy capitalists. So the computer is completely wasted, and the only thing that matters is that as much money is made in the most unethical way possible. Capitalism is really a system of belief where the ends justify the means, and the only ends that matter is making as much money as possible.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ralfy » Wed 15 Apr 2015, 22:04:25

Very good points, i.e., demand destruction amidst capitalist systems which require more consumption and lead to more waste.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby americandream » Thu 16 Apr 2015, 04:22:06

Good points desu. High idiocy and technology......not a good mix.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Simon_R » Thu 16 Apr 2015, 08:46:10

Before you get excited about the evils of capitalism, I would think you need to ask why people seek for profits/money/power etc.
Unless you know why people seek these things then you have no hope of changing anything.
Simon_R
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby davep » Thu 16 Apr 2015, 11:57:19

I'm not sure the problem is with Capitalism per se, but the corrupt monetary system that underpins it. It requires growth to create money as credit and to pay back the interest element. It's a crazy set-up that requires growth just to stand still.

And the idea that only banks and central banks can create money (as credit) was not something anyone ever got really got to vote over. Check out Iceland's new sovereign equity proposal as an alternative (similar to the IMF Chicago Plan Revisited paper).
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby ralfy » Thu 16 Apr 2015, 12:26:13

There's also capital accumulation. That is, businesses that profit use that to expand operations, which means increasing production, and in turn more consumption and more profits.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby chilyb » Fri 17 Apr 2015, 06:52:08

"In my midsized midwestern city, for example, it's VERY difficult to recycle hazardous waste for an ordinary citizen. If you have computers, you can take those to the government recycling center most business days, and they'll take them since they can harvest the circuit boards. "

Best Buy now has a very good recycling program. You can drop off almost anything at the customer service counter any time of day. They took my old 27" CRT, no questions asked.

more info here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/appliances-promotions/appliance-recycling/pcmcat239300050017.c?id=pcmcat239300050017
chilyb
Peat
Peat

Unread postby GoghGoner » Mon 29 Jun 2015, 08:38:51

The bust cycle starting the same time copper started dropping and China's GDP growth started declining in 2011. The author blames the oversupply of rare earths like folks blame the oversupply of unconventional oil. Producers of all commodities went all-out to increase supply and it all depended on high growth in the Chinese economy. Bankruptcies will affect the supply of all commodities in the next couple of years or so.

How a Bet on Rare Earths Flopped as Scarcity Was a Mirage

On Thursday, Molycorp filed for bankruptcy protection, having run out of cash after a precipitous and sustained slide in rare-earth prices. The company has become a cautionary tale for investors looking for the next hot thing, a lesson in how excessively high commodity prices can quickly reverse.
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ennui2 » Mon 29 Jun 2015, 10:28:19

One word:

Recycling.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 29 Jun 2015, 13:36:28

chilyb wrote:"In my midsized midwestern city, for example, it's VERY difficult to recycle hazardous waste for an ordinary citizen. If you have computers, you can take those to the government recycling center most business days, and they'll take them since they can harvest the circuit boards. "

Best Buy now has a very good recycling program. You can drop off almost anything at the customer service counter any time of day. They took my old 27" CRT, no questions asked.

more info here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/appliances-promotions/appliance-recycling/pcmcat239300050017.c?id=pcmcat239300050017

Reading is a thing. Your link is about recycling APPLIANCES and has the word appliances plastered all over the text. So sure, they'll take your old appliances, strip them for what they can sell, and dump the rest.

Meanwhile, the kind of stuff I'd like to get rid of (called hazardous materials), like old turpentine cans, etc. etc. (without harming the environment), no one wants to take. Even if I pay them.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 10 Mar 2017, 16:20:19

Finaly someone is proposing common sense to deal with the threatened shortage of rare earth metals.

Rep. Duncan Hunter introduced a bill Tuesday to help restart American production of rare metals that are essential for high-tech defense gear.

China currently dominates the mining and production of “rare earths,” metals like neodymium, cerium, scandium, yttrium and 13 others that are essential producing magnets, lasers, batteries and metal alloys.

“The U.S. must no longer be wholly dependent on foreign sources of strategic and critical materials,” said Hunter. “The risk of this dependence on national security is too great and it urgently demands that we re-establish our depleted domestic industrial base.”

The Republican who represents east San Diego County noted that the last major American producer of rare earth metals declared bankruptcy in 2015, shuttered its California mine and processing plant and sold a portion of the assets to the Chinese. The U.S. dominated the market as recently as the mid 1980s.

Hunter’s METALS Act would allow domestic companies to access five-year, interest-free loans to develop advanced, environmentally friendly technologies for the production of strategic and critical materials.

The act would also prohibit the foreign sourcing of ammonium perchlorate, a chemical used as a rocket propellant.

http://timesofsandiego.com/business/201 ... al-metals/
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Return to Energy Technology