Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Putin says "Russian military is unmatchable"

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Putin says "Russian military is unmatchable"

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 23 Feb 2015, 12:49:22

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Thursday other countries should not have the illusion that they can attain military superiority over Russia, Interfax reported.

"No one should have the illusion that they can gain military superiority over Russia, put any kind of pressure on it. We will always have an adequate answer for any such adventures," he was quoted as saying in an address dedicated to the Defenders' of the Fatherland Day holiday next week.
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/putin-says-russias-military-strength-unmatchable-interfax-162632082.html

I don't know, so what's the reaction to this supposed to be. That Russia can hybrid war wherever it wants to, and nobody can fight it?

So what's his point. Russian military is ranked #2, US military is #1. Russian military budget is $60 billion, US budget is $577 billion.

Russian GDP is less than Italy, $2 trillion. US gdp is $17 trillion, China second in the world at $10 trillion.

Also in the news, Russian missiles for Iran:

Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Putin says "Russian military is unmatchable"

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 23 Feb 2015, 13:52:42

pstarr wrote:Wherever it wants? Are you kidding me Six. Your country invaded Iraq for no reason and you complain about Russia? You should be out in the streets protesting your own countries crimes. I am sick of your phony chickenhawk patriotism. Go join up and put you money where your mouth is. And if you are too young . . . send your kids.

First of all, he's on his third war, and that's the reality. Chechnya, Georgia, now Ukraine. Secondly, you've got a whole Pentagon and then NATO generals in Brussels warning everyone that he's doing a military buildup capable of multiple hybrid wars at once.

But you're blind to it, and just don't care.

If nobody cares, then then the West has no deterrence -- he really will try hybrid war in the Baltics, if it's just there, for the tanking.

We're in such relativistic, postmodern, Atlas Shrugged times. It's like those hostages that were held by ISIS, liberals didn't seem to care about that either.

Whatever, pstarr -- because of attitudes like yours, and nobody standing up in time, then Russia will likely go over the line and then we'll be in some kind of war with them. Because it was not prevented. Because nobody was interested, nobody cared, nobody was watching the doomstead.

But okay, you're sick of hearing it, ok. I'll tell you something though -- if he actually does start this same hybrid war song and dance up in the Baltics eventually, and if you just go and defend that too, then I'm really going to lose it and throw a shoe at the computer.

I am just WARNING that something is gonna happen, about Russia, and nobody cares about it. They've got these bombers flying all over the place -- no transponder on, they don't report to ATC. There HAS ALREADY BEEN one plane that has gone down, shot down by a Russian missile. Accidentally, sure, but does that even matter? If a gang is shooting up in the hood and someone is just in the crossfire, is that an excuse? No.

Anyhow -- there is apparently a new cold war on. So this thread should be more on topic to the "Russian military is unmatchable" and what Putin's plans may, or may not be, in the world. And how the cold war may play out.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby PieceOfMine » Mon 23 Feb 2015, 14:08:19

To quote Field Marshal Montgomery “Rule 1, on page 1 of the book of war, is: ‘Do not march on Moscow’. Various people have tried it, Napoleon and Hitler, and it is no good. That is the first rule.”

(His second rule, by the way, was: “Do not go fighting with your land armies in China.” As Washington’s policy drives Moscow and Beijing closer together.... But that is another subject).

http://russia-insider.com/en/history_mi ... nst_russia
PieceOfMine
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 23 Feb 2015, 14:10:43

PieceOfMine wrote:To quote Field Marshal Montgomery “Rule 1, on page 1 of the book of war, is: ‘Do not march on Moscow’.

But what do you do, if Moscow marches on you?
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Fishman » Mon 23 Feb 2015, 14:18:35

Yea, what Pstarr said!! Except, well, it made no sense. The US went into war in Iraq and Afgan. with a coaltion of countries. We had reasons, you just didn't like them. And darn it we were winning in Iraq and Afgan. until chicken s$%t became president. Remember six, military is but an extension of politics. Russia has a past KGB officer, with the vast support of his country. The US has a past community organizer that can't lead his way out of a wet paper bag, with about 49% of the populations recognizing him for the complete failure he is. Do I think we should respond significantly to Russia, yes. Do I think we can or will with chickens%$t as president, no. Worst case scenario is not Russia rolling over the Baltics, but a war with Russia with BHO as president. We lose.
Obama, the FUBAR presidency gets scraped off the boot
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby PieceOfMine » Mon 23 Feb 2015, 14:21:15

Sixstrings wrote:
PieceOfMine wrote:To quote Field Marshal Montgomery “Rule 1, on page 1 of the book of war, is: ‘Do not march on Moscow’.

But what do you do, if Moscow marches on you?

They haven't done it so far, they've been mostly nice, really. Let's keep it that way.
PieceOfMine
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Strummer » Mon 23 Feb 2015, 14:24:40

Sixstrings wrote:First of all, he's on his third war, and that's the reality. Chechnya, Georgia, now Ukraine.

In Chechnya he was fighting islamic terrorism within his own country. You know, the same islamic terrorism that is your biggest bogeyman right now? In Georgia, independent investigations of the European Union concluded that it was in fact Georgia who attacked Russia. Ukraine is a civil war of ukrainians against ukrainians. None of these events even remotely compare to the horrors that your own country unleashed in Iraq.
Strummer
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Withnail » Mon 23 Feb 2015, 14:41:47

Fishman wrote:Yea, what Pstarr said!! Except, well, it made no sense. The US went into war in Iraq and Afgan. with a coaltion of countries.

Lol, coalition of countries.

The US with some meaningless window dressing from its 'allies' you mean.
Withnail
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 23 Feb 2015, 15:11:03

Fishman wrote:The US has a past community organizer that can't lead his way out of a wet paper bag,

I'd say it's a bit of a challenge to lead something that one does not believe in, to start with. :|

We'll see where things go. It may get very rocky in these last two years. "Amurica" -- love it or hate it, but it's who we are and it's where we live -- may come under assault. I'd prefer a commander in chief that loves the place. There is no worse general than one that does not believe in the cause.

(and p.s., I would just note that "murica" may not be perfect but as far as great powers go, I believe 100% that we are the most good and just great power there has ever been in the history of the world. There's a reason why America is #1, and it wasn't by being evil, it was by fighting it, it was by being that city on a hill and doing the right thing.)
Last edited by Sixstrings on Mon 23 Feb 2015, 15:19:52, edited 1 time in total.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 23 Feb 2015, 15:45:04

pstarr wrote:You two need to go over there and fix things. Perhaps you can drag along your buddy Bill O'Reilly. Once he gets back from the Falklands.

If ISIS attacks us here, if they keep taking people hostage, if they keep burning and crucifying Christians, if their caliphate keeps growing, if they kill more Americans -- then that is exactly what the US Marine Corps is for:

Since the day it was formed, the Marine Corps has been committed to winning our nation's battles, fighting determinedly in every one of our country's conflicts. By air, land and sea, the Marine Corps is America's premier expeditionary force, ready to protect our nation's citizens and interests anywhere in the world.
http://www.marines.com/history-heritage/our-purpose#winning-battles

SEALS and Green Beret's are cool too:

I know you don't like my patriotism, but if muslim extremists are crucifying and beheading and burning people and it's horrors like this from Australia to Libya to France and Belgium -- and maybe we're next, and we've already lost those hostages -- then I'm sorry I'm gonna wave my flag around and I may even read my Bible. I know what side I'm on.

(I forgot what thread I'm in -- we've got two problems facing us right now, ISIS and possibly Russian aggression -- I know what side I'm on, I believe in our Constitution and our way of life. And it's not a bunch of crap, this is our culture, this is who we are and we're gonna defend it by God.)
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby radon1 » Mon 23 Feb 2015, 15:49:30

Another misleading trollish headline and thread.

I CHALLENGE THE INITIATOR OF THIS THREAD TO LINK THE DIRECT QUOTE WHERE PUTIN SAYS "RUSSIAN MILITARY IS UNMATCHABLE", AND IN CASE OF FAILURE TO DO SO, I DEMAND THAT THIS THREAD BE REMOVED FROM THE PUBLIC VIEW (OR KINDLY REQUEST SUCH REMOVAL FROM THE MODERATORS).
Last edited by radon1 on Mon 23 Feb 2015, 16:09:50, edited 1 time in total.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 23 Feb 2015, 16:15:12

pstarr wrote:Like Strummer said, Chechnya is/was actually part of Russia.

Well there's that, Chechnya is at least In Russia and not over in Not Russia. (I agree with their Chechen war, if there was really Chechen terrorism, I'm just saying it's his third war now and some very smart military men are saying he may be aiming for more of them)

Iraq is on the other side of the world. We bombed a country on the other side of the world for no known reason.

What's your point, Russia has a right to make war on its borders?

Look -- we are Americans, we live in America, our country leads in the world and others look to our leadership because they prefer our vision for the world versus a nationalist communist Chinese or Russian imperial vision, okie dokie?

Like Prius on the battlefield.

It's not a joke. Hybrid war is very real. It's a clever nato article 5 legal loophole they think they've figured out.

I'll hold my verbal powder dry on it though, I'm willing to do that, unless and until the very first signs of them doing hybrid war in the Baltics. I don't care about Kazakstan, they can go take that if they want to. But if the Kazaks run to Washington DC for protection and our government puts them in the boat too, then we gotta look out for them too.

I'm sorry, Pstarr. We are America. It's our cross to bear. I look at these alternative ideologies out there, and I for one do not like them, no thank you.

If Russia doesn't want a cold war, then it would have been smarter to not start one. If they don't want a hot war, they'd best keep this contained to Ukraine and not expand it elsewhere -- especially nato states.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 23 Feb 2015, 16:21:13

Is the Russian military really unmatchable?

Yes, the Russians have shown they can defeat the armies of much smaller countries like Georgia and Ukraine. But even at this late date in Ukraine, if obama would finally find his balls, the US could help the Ukrainians outs with anti-tank Javelin missiles and the Russian troops in Ukraine would have a more interesting military force to match up against..

obama still maybe possibly perhaps considering providing Ukrainians with Javelin missiles help them defend themselves from the Russian invasion.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AgentR11 » Mon 23 Feb 2015, 16:31:46

If we send them Javelins, I'd put even money on 25% getting used to blow up random T72's from Russia, of which Russia has a few thousand, to RETIRE, 25% get sold out of the bed of a pickup truck, command system included; and 50% get left upwrapped on the battlefield for the NAF to pickup and use to blow up UK supplied APCs.

Javelin is sexy.
Its also the wrong system for Ukraine.

You're blowing up stuff that the enemy intends to scrap anyway, with a modern expensive toy. And that's not counting all the armor the NAF folks loot from the battlefields. Now, if Russia was sending T90's or intended to send Armada systems; then yeah, Javelin would be a really, really good fit, and it would make a great test. (as long as we can maintain the aforementioned material control).

Basically, I don't oppose *SELLING* them the things, as long as we can secure any classified components such that when they arrive at the Kremlin for dissection they won't yield trade or military secrets. But you shouldn't get too excited about any potential result; unless we intend to send 2k+ of the things, you're just nibbling in a bottomless pit of tanks.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 23 Feb 2015, 16:32:35

radon1 wrote:Another misleading trollish headline and thread.

I CHALLENGE THE INITIATOR OF THIS THREAD TO LINK THE DIRECT QUOTE WHERE PUTIN SAYS "RUSSIAN MILITARY IS UNMATCHABLE", AND IN CASE OF FAILURE TO DO SO, I DEMAND THAT THIS THREAD BE REMOVED FROM THE PUBLIC VIEW (OR KINDLY REQUEST SUCH REMOVAL FROM THE MODERATORS).

That's the yahoo / reuters headline, not mine:

Putin says Russia's military strength unmatchable: Interfax

Here is RT's article on it:

Putin: No external pressure on Russia will go unchallenged

Russia will always find an adequate response to any pressure coming from the outside, Russian President Vladimir Putin said during a gala-show ahead of the upcoming Defender of the Fatherland Day, which honors those who served in the armed forces.

“Nobody should have any illusions that it’s possible to achieve military superiority over Russia – or put it under some sort of pressure – as we’ll always have an adequate response to such reckless schemes,” Putin told the audience.

The President said that Russian “soldiers and officers have proven that they are ready to act decisively, coherently, professionally and courageously, performing the most difficult unconventional tasks, as befits a modern, experienced, combat-ready army, which values its traditions and military duty.”

Defender of the Fatherland Day is an annual holiday in Russia celebrated on February 23. The holiday honors those who serve or have served in the military. It is also often referred to as Men’s Day (though the Russian military do not exclusively consist of men) to act as a counterpart to International Women's Day on March 8.

According to Putin, a lot has been done in the country in recent years to improve the effectiveness of the military administration.

“A large-scale program of rearming the Army and Navy is being successfully implemented, which includes an active development of the aerospace and nuclear forces. This is the guaranty of global parity,” the president said, adding that he will do everything in his power for the military’s potential to keep growing.
http://rt.com/politics/234243-putin-ww2-military-pressure/

Here is the quote from Putin:

This is the guaranty of global parity,” the president said, adding that he will do everything in his power for the military’s potential to keep growing.

Maybe the Reuters headline is unfair, but the gist remains the same.

It's a cold war man, it's not my fault and not yours. There was a Russian spy ship off Jacksonville. There were Russian bombers probing Cornwall. Yet somehow, Westerners are the bad guys.

If Russian forces keep pushing into new areas, in Europe, then I'm sorry but that may in fact lead to war. That shall be PUTIN's fault if that ever happens. You can see from the Westerners on this forum that obviously people don't want a darn war with Russia.

Putin is challenging the global order. We'll see how it shakes out. I for one feel confident he won't take it nuclear. What more can I say, it is what it is. If he can't keep things peaceful with Westerners then it's seriously HIS fault. We're frickin' democracies. Half of us are anti-war lefties. And our far right are libertarians and isolationist.

Maybe what Russia needs is to get about 50% of their population being anti-war and liberal, and become a democracy where it's not so easy to start wars, maybe THAT is what the problem is, ya think?

EDIT: if a mod wants to correct the thread title then okay, I just put in what the reuters headline was

Putin says Russia's military strength unmatchable: Interfax

I guess "unmatchable" is a shorter headline for:

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Thursday other countries should not have the illusion that they can attain military superiority over Russia, Interfax reported.

So I don't think Reuters made something up. :?:

And what are we arguing about, YES Russia is doing a military builduip, YES Russian forces fight in Ukraine.

YES that Russian foreign ministry sent a guy over to the Baltics at one point to give a speech to Russian minority there. That smelled a little like some hybrid war stoking. I don't have that article handy, but I made a thread of it at the time, there's some kind of "interests of Russians abroad" department that Moscow has. When they say Russians abroad, they mean ethnic Russian citizens of other nations.

What the hell are we arguing about at this point, we all know full well both sides of both issues and there is no infowar about it -- it's only a matter of how far Putin goes, and how much the West stands up. We'll see what happens.

I would just say that the kremlin should not be under any illusion that the West is weak. That's a mistake. The USA is reactionary. If Russia presents itself as a threat, then we will just re-orient to cold war.
Last edited by Sixstrings on Mon 23 Feb 2015, 16:46:29, edited 2 times in total.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Next

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics