Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Gas find may spur drilling in Quebec

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Re: Gas find may spur drilling in Quebec

Unread postby copious.abundance » Thu 03 Apr 2008, 21:46:37

Blacksmith wrote:Son, you sound like a broken record. How many times are you going to post the same graph?

Until you understand the relationship between the Barnett Shale and the Utica Shale. :)
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Blacksmith » Thu 03 Apr 2008, 22:52:57

Let us compare the Barnett in Texas and the Utica in Quebec.

Barnett Mississippian
Utica Lower Devonian to Cambrian ( in Quebec Ordovician)

TOC (Total Organic Content):

Barnett 1% to 12% average 4.5% to 5.2% again depending on source
Utica 1.5% to 3% or up to 2% depending on the source.

Maturity:

Barnett 0.6% to 1.6% Ro
Utica 1.3 to 2% Ro

Kerogen:
Barnett - Type II
Utica - Type III to Type IV

To put it in simple terms the Barett was deposited in a time of prolific organic growth, while the Utica was deposited in a time of algae with some organisms beginning to appear.

The hydrocabon content of the Barnett is two to three times greater.

The organic material in the Barnett is mature while the Utica is slightly over mature placing it at best in the Dry gas zone.

The kerogen in the Barnett produces oil and gas, while Utica kerogen produces gas and coal, or has no potential.

Anyway son, I suggest you change your name since you couldn't find your asshole with your hand.
Employed senior
Blacksmith
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby copious.abundance » Thu 03 Apr 2008, 23:21:40

Blacksmith wrote:TOC (Total Organic Content):

Barnett 1% to 12% average 4.5% to 5.2% again depending on source
Utica 1.5% to 3% or up to 2% depending on the source.

Blacksmith, the Utica shale is not uniformly low in organic content:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/materials_mi ... serda5.pdf
^
Page 4 (pg 3 of the document):
Utica Shale

The Ordovician-age Utica Shale is an organic-rich and thermally- mature black to grey-black shale that overlies the Trenton Lime-stone. The Utica Shale outcrops along the west and south-southeast sides of the Adirondack Mountains but is deeply buried across most of the State. The Utica Shale is considered to be the source rock for lower Devonian through Cambrian oil and gas production. Across much of the State, the Utica Shale is approximately 300 feet thick, thinning to the west and north. Estimated total organic carbon content ranges from 1.5 to 3.0 percent in eastern New York and from 2 to 15 percent in northern New York, Ontario and Quebec.

Significant gas shows have been encountered while drilling through the Utica Shale. NYSERDA is funding detailed geological studies of Utica Shale reservoir properties and resource potential to develop an exploration model that would promote production testing using modern completion technology.

It appears there's a good reason why the current activity is centered in Quebec.

Blacksmith wrote:Maturity:

Barnett 0.6% to 1.6% Ro
Utica 1.3 to 2% Ro

A different source says:
http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=838956
^
Maturity:
Utica: 1.3 - 2.0
Barnett: 1.0 - 2.2

That particular source also says the TOC is from 1 to 3.1, but it also says the Barnett TOC is only from 3.5 to 5, so I guess they aren't including outlyers. Furthermore, the clay content, porosity and pressure gradients are similar to Barnett. So yes, overall it's similar to Barnett Shale. However, in its favor is that it's shallower than the Barnett, and, last but not least, the going price is significantly higher than Barnett gas.
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby auscanman » Fri 04 Apr 2008, 02:18:50

rider wrote:
auscanman wrote:I wish that this find actually was as big as reported. At least then Quebec would stop siphonining off money from Ontario and Alberta for the promotion of their welfare province and separatist agenda. I'm pretty sure that a newly resource wealthy Quebec would be extremely reluctant to give back to the rest of Canada some of the vast amount of money it's taken, and would in all likelihood finally vote for secession with this financial incentive in place.

You are a Moron. :-D

Care to point out what it is that I stated you believe to be incorrect, or is hurling insults the best you can do?
auscanman
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby rider » Fri 04 Apr 2008, 09:38:24

auscanman wrote:
rider wrote:
auscanman wrote:I wish that this find actually was as big as reported. At least then Quebec would stop siphonining off money from Ontario and Alberta for the promotion of their welfare province and separatist agenda. I'm pretty sure that a newly resource wealthy Quebec would be extremely reluctant to give back to the rest of Canada some of the vast amount of money it's taken, and would in all likelihood finally vote for secession with this financial incentive in place.

Care to point out what it is that I stated you believe to be incorrect, or is hurling insults the best you can do?

What you think of Qc is way off topic here and doesn't interest too many souls either I am sure. Now enough with you and your off topic rambling.
rider
Peat
Peat

Unread postby auscanman » Fri 04 Apr 2008, 12:27:18

rider wrote:
auscanman wrote:
rider wrote:

What you think of Qc is way off topic here and doesn't interest too many souls either I am sure. Now enough with you and your off topic rambling.

My post is relevant if you actually do believe the premise of this thread (which I don't). Any change to the relative economic power of Quebec is bound to have knock-on effects to their desire for sovereignity.

I'm guessing that you're from Quebec, since you didn't even make an attempt to attack what I said. As far as I know, the potential for Quebec independence is of immense interest to everyone in Canada, and plenty of others in the world given the unusual context and implications it would have.

FYI the following is from the Wikipedia article on Equalization Payments:

"Quebec, the most populous of the "have not" provinces, is by far the largest single recipient of the payments. When BC and Saskatchewan are removed, approximately 70% of the 10 million Canadians residing in "have not" provinces are in Quebec."
auscanman
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby rider » Fri 04 Apr 2008, 13:09:29

auscanman wrote:
rider wrote:
auscanman wrote:
rider wrote:

My post is relevant if you actually do believe the premise of this thread (which I don't).

I don't either. So why don't you can it?
rider
Peat
Peat

Unread postby copious.abundance » Wed 03 Sep 2008, 15:56:24

Stumbled across some more news on this today. Looks like the Utica shale could be really big - and if that weren't enough, there is another shale located above it which might be even bigger!

--> LINK <--
[...]

The big buzz came in April, when Forest Oil of Denver announced an estimate of 4 trillion cubic feet of natural gas on claims held with its partners in the Yamaska region on the south shore of the St. Lawrence.

And that's just a small piece of the puzzle.

Some estimates, Laliberte says, have put the natural gas potential of the St. Lawrence basin at between 35 trillion and 160 trillion cubic feet, which would constitute a world-class deposit if it were ever proved.

[...]

^
That was written in June, but just out today I found this: Another shale - the Lorraine Shale - which can be more than a mile thick!
--> LINK <--
[...]

The Lorraine shale sits on top of the Utica and can be up to 6,500 feet thick. The Utica shale ranges between 300 and 1,000 feet. Early indications show that both the Lorraine and Utica rocks are thick, porous and appear brittle and over pressured, all of which are conducive to artificial fracture stimulation.

[...]
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby copious.abundance » Wed 03 Sep 2008, 16:19:49

More info:

--> ANOTHER LINK <-- (PDF, 12 pages)
^
Of interest is the stuff on ppg. 7-8. It's not actually "on top of" the Utica, but I digress.

The thickness of the Utica ranges from 300–1,000 feet.
The thickness of the Lorraine ranges from 1,500–6,500 feet.

The Lorraine is lower in organic content and, on average, has a bit lower porosity as the Utica. It has the same maturity as the Utica. However, the thickness appears to outweigh the other factors, as the estimated discovered resource per section in the Lorraine is 120 Bcf vs. 92.5 Bcf for the Utica.

But it doesn't end there. On page 8:
• Talisman estimates 120 bcf/section on Lorraine shales vs 93 bcf/section on Utica (30% higher)
• This is however only based on around 1/10 of the total height of the Lorraine reservoir (the remaining part of Lorraine has not been analysed)
• In an upside scenario, Lorraine could hold more than 1,000 bcf/section (1 TCF) or 10x as much as we have based our valuation on.
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Blacksmith » Thu 04 Sep 2008, 04:36:32

Employed senior
Blacksmith
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Nickel » Thu 04 Sep 2008, 08:29:39

Blacksmith wrote:Let us compare the Barnett in Texas and the Utica in Quebec.

Dude, unless you can prove Oilfinder's stats are actually fabricated, your point is moot. You're arguing goats don't give milk solely on the basis that cows give more.

Have you looked at his graph? It's not stratospheric, pie-in-the-sky projections for 2050 or something. Those dates are in the PAST. Unless you can demonstrate they're lies, then his point stands.
Nickel
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Fri 05 Sep 2008, 21:04:35

The kerogen in the Barnett produces oil and gas, while Utica kerogen produces gas and coal, or has no potential

Uh, no. Type III kerogen (mostly terrestrial woody precursors) is an excellent gas source. Don't make me go to the trouble of mentioning all the gas in the world derived from this kerogen type. Type II is predominantly a marine deposited oily source, it really only generates gas in any appreciable quantities once the liquid fraction is cracked or the source rock is buried deeply, quickly. Don't make me show you a basin model demonstrating this. Common knowledge for the last 50 years or so to organic geochemists.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sat 06 Sep 2008, 01:12:29

If you're so smart, why ain't you rich?
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Starvid » Sun 07 Sep 2008, 15:55:49

Nice news.

So who more than I have shares in Forest Oil? :)
Peak oil is not an energy crisis. It is a liquid fuel crisis.
Starvid
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby copious.abundance » Fri 27 Feb 2009, 22:24:16

Time for an update!

Questerre Energy is one of the players in this shale, and 3 days ago they sez . . .

>>> Utica wells test up to 4 mmcf/d - Sustained rates up to 800 mcf/d <<<
[...]

The horizontal test wells were successfully cased and fracture stimulated in four stages. Flow rates from these wells were in excess of the original vertical wells with initial rates of up to 4 mmcf/d. On longer term testing, the frac fluid flow-back was incomplete due to the unavailability of coiled tubing to assist in unloading the wells. In spite of frac fluid production, sustained flow rates as reported by the Operator ranged between 100 mcf/d and 800 mcf/d.

[...]

I also noticed on their website . . .

>>> Utica Shale info <<<
The potential of the Utica shale in the Lowlands was first quantified by an EnCana presentation for an industry conference in 2007. The report highlighted the Utica as viable resource play target covering over 1 million acres with 163 Tcf of discovered resource or approximately 88 Bcf per square mile. Subsequent technical work by both Forest and Talisman provides further support with similar resource estimates of approximately 93 Bcf per square mile. Based on data published by Talisman, the shallower Lorraine is expected to host similar gas in place with a discovered resource estimated at 50-190 Bcf per square mile.

Looks like all those Quebecois will be able to stay warm in the winter after all! 8)
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby copious.abundance » Sun 24 May 2009, 23:22:38

>>> LINK <<<
May 15, 2009 11:05:00 AM MST
Questerre foresees low finding and development costs in Utica shale

CALGARY _ Questerre Energy Corp. (TSX:QEC) said Friday its Utica shale play in the St. Lawrence lowlands of Quebec may have finding and development costs of less than $1 per thousand cubic feet of natural gas.

"We had a major breakthrough this quarter in Quebec," Questerre chief utive officer Michael Binnion declared.

"The three well tests from a single Utica zone over our acreage have largely addressed our remaining technical concerns about this play. It has validated our belief that the Utica shale will be commercialized with horizontal wells."

Binnion stated that "with further engineering work, we are more confident in the potential for stacked shale plays that could, if successful, ultimately reduce F&D costs to under $1.00 an mcf."

[...]
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Gerben » Mon 25 May 2009, 10:45:59

"... we are more confident in the potential ... that could, if successful, ultimately..."

Wow. That sounds good.
Gerben
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Location: Holland, Belgica Foederata (Republic of the Seven United Netherlands)

Unread postby copious.abundance » Thu 03 Sep 2009, 00:10:11

>>> LINK <<<
Large gas resource seen in Quebec's Utica shale
Sep 1, 2009
By OGJ editors

HOUSTON, Sept. 1 -- Consulting engineers estimated a prospective resource of 4.28 tcf of natural gas in place in the Ordovician Utica shale in the deep fairway of Quebec’s St. Lawrence Lowlands.

The estimate of 150 bcf/sq mile is 66% higher than earlier industry figures, said Questerre Energy Corp., Calgary. The range of the resource is 2.2 - 8 tcf.

The estimates relate only to company lands that have geology validated by successful wells, Questerre said.

“The evaluation is focused on the acreage between the two main geological features, the Yamaska growth fault and Logan’s Line, where Questerre holds approximately 833,000 gross acres in the deep fairway,” the company said.

The assessment does not include the shallower Ordovician Lorraine interval but did include results from the recently completed, Talisman Energy Inc.-operated Edouard-1 exploratory well

>>> LINK <<<
009-08-30 23:15:00
QEC Announces St. Edouard #1 Tests Over 2 mmcf/d

Questerre Energy Corporation is pleased to report on the Utica test results from the St. Edouard #1 well in the St. Lawrence Lowlands, Quebec.

The primary zone of interest within the middle Utica was fracture stimulated in late July. Over a 10-day test, the well flowed at initial rates of 2.6 mmcf/d with an average rate of over 700 mcf/d on a one-inch choke. The well is currently shut-in for buildup to gather additional pressure data.

[...]
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby kiwichick » Thu 03 Sep 2009, 00:47:31

bring it on; we will need it all

"giant" oil field in GOM reported by BP could yield 1 billion barrels

this"giant" oilfield will supply world demand for 14 days

please try to contain your excitement
kiwichick
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby copious.abundance » Tue 23 Feb 2010, 21:35:52

Gerben wrote:Wow. That sounds good.

Yessiree, it sure does.

Here is Blacksmith's fart. A 12 million cubic ft per day fart!

>>> LINK <<<
Quebec shale gas find could redraw Canada's energy map
Nathan VanderKlippe
Published on Tuesday, Feb. 23, 2010 7:57PM EST

Seventy-five kilometres southwest of Quebec City, in the farm country that lines the St. Lawrence River, natural gas is surging from the ground.

In a province so distant from the petroleum industry that it does not yet have its own system for distributing oil and gas leases, the sight of a producing natural gas well is as unusual as it is important. Thousands of kilometres from the traditional heart of Canada's energy industry, this well could represent a significant redrawing of Canada's energy map.

When it was first brought on stream in late January, it produced 12 million cubic feet of gas a day, a gusher by gas well standards, and a huge boost to Calgary-based Questerre Energy Corp., which has partnered in Quebec with the much bigger Talisman Energy Inc.

[...]
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Previous

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics