Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

When will the govt stop sending out entitlement checks??

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: When will the govt stop sending out entitlement checks??

Unread postby vision-master » Sat 13 Jun 2009, 19:47:23

There used to be a saying prior to Social Security, the old died in the summer from lack of food and the winter from no heat. We will return to that then, and no I do not think their will be any mad max stuff old and disabled folks rarely have enough energy to cause problems.

BS. :P

The fastest growing age group in America is composed of citizens over age 65. The new political interests of the elderly have been mobilized under the umbrella of "gray power."

Young ppl have nothing but debt and responsibilities. What are 'they' going to do?
vision-master

Unread postby odegaard » Sun 14 Jun 2009, 03:47:03

•Gun ownership increases with age. 48.1% of the 18-25 year-olds in the sample report owning a gun, compared to 67.8% of people 60 and older.

8O
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNjUpR7qwNE
"They're not too big to fail, they're too big to bail out!" Peter Schiff
odegaard
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Ayoob » Sun 14 Jun 2009, 03:53:13

beamofthewave wrote:There used to be a saying prior to Social Security, the old died in the summer from lack of food and the winter from no heat. We will return to that then, and no I do not think their will be any mad max stuff old and disabled folks rarely have enough energy to cause problems. Since we as a nation have chosen to give our treasury to Goldman Sachs, 30 trillion in the past two years, our national resources such as oil to other multinational corporations, I believe we will soon be living like the people in Cambodia. Are the Cambodians living Mad Max? NO, the majority of people in the USA will be very, very poor very soon, people who thought they had money will find out it is worthless and the very rich will move with their money to a first world country that did not give their treasury to Goldman Sachs. The only consolation is that Tim Greithner will relocate to work in China the up and coming new rulers of the world. I hope I get to live long enough to see Halliburton try to create a mess in China so they can charge for cleaning it up like they do in USA. Heads will roll, China's leaders would simply try and convict and decapitate the CEO's the same day.

Maybe if we were Cambodians... but we're not.
Ayoob
Expert
Expert

Unread postby hillsidedigger » Sun 14 Jun 2009, 08:55:56

My answer to such 'when' questions is the year 2028.
hillsidedigger
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby pedalling_faster » Sun 14 Jun 2009, 12:39:13

shortonoil wrote:I always find it interesting that people think that a central government or central bank will somehow continue on forever. It must be something about our embedded desire to believe in deities. In actuality they all fail at some point. The Roman Empire, the Ottoman Empire, the USSR (the largest state in the history of the world) all disappeared along with their currency system.

i don't think the US will continue forever, although it does look like the monetary system has gone over a cliff.

but what America does seem to have an abundance of is Pretense, to complement the scarcity of elected officials who are willing to tell the truth.

therefore i'm thinking TPTB and their minions will just keep on with their "sound dollar" pretense - no matter how loud the laughter gets.

and part of the sound dollar pretense is sending out entitlement checks (welfare, retirement, etc.)
http://www.LASIK-Flap.com/ ~ Health Warning about LASIK Eye Surgery
pedalling_faster
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Windmills » Sun 14 Jun 2009, 17:22:00

Just about any kind of government check, program, or payment is "entitlement" or "welfare" to me. I'd lump a heck of a lot of useless and ultra-expensive military contracts into the welfare category, along with NASA and everything else that takes government money. If sucking off the government teat in any form is welfare, the question then becomes, which of the programs is deserving of welfare handouts?
Windmills
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Voice_du_More » Sun 14 Jun 2009, 17:31:32

There is no way the US government can stop sending out entitlement checks either to the banks or to the low income and seniors. Millions of seniors would starve, millions of hungry low income workers would take up crime, and the banks would move all of their wealth to Switzerland and start lending only to the Chinese.

That said it is equally unsustainable to send the checks since the productive labor base in the country is shrinking constantly and the resource upon which our growth depends is trending in levels which do not aloow that growth to continue. It has yet to hit the radar screen of most middle income people because the pastors of the land are more interrested in debating about scientific discoveries they know little or nothing about rather than speaking truth in love. And let us not simply blame the conservatives for being myopic or delusional.

The truth is there are but a handful of people really being honest about what is currently happening and what is about to happen. That is a recipe for disaster and the disaster may seem to be take a breather right now but that won't last another six months.
Voice_du_More
Peat
Peat

Unread postby jasonraymondson » Sun 14 Jun 2009, 17:47:28

Serial_Worrier wrote:Basically the illegal aliens are going to be cut off first. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

uhm no they won't. The average citizen will be the first cut off. The people in the country illegeally will continue to have everything handed to them.

J
jasonraymondson
Permanently Banned

Unread postby odegaard » Sun 14 Jun 2009, 18:01:50

Windmills wrote:Just about any kind of government check, program, or payment is "entitlement" or "welfare" to me. I'd lump a heck of a lot of useless and ultra-expensive military contracts into the welfare category, along with NASA and everything else that takes government money. If sucking off the government teat in any form is welfare, the question then becomes, which of the programs is deserving of welfare handouts?

Why not make government smaller, just cut everything evenly across the board.
If it is true that the rich receives more welfare than the poor they would have the most to lose if government were made smaller.
makes sense right?
So why do Liberals hate small government so much?

I guess that means Liberals aren't really defenders of the poor but instead the wealthy! :mrgreen:
odegaard
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby jasonraymondson » Sun 14 Jun 2009, 21:23:27

Deleted by Eastbay

Formal Warning Sent COC 1.0, 2.14, 3.1.9, etc.
jasonraymondson
Permanently Banned

Unread postby MarkJ » Mon 15 Jun 2009, 07:53:03

How are *cities* paying their bills when tax revenues are falling like a rock?

Many tax challenged regions with little, zero or negative tax base growth are raising tax rates, raising assessments, raising water/sewer rates, adding/raising fees/surcharges, cutting or eliminating services, closing public funded buildings, closing/merging schools, eliminating teachers, school staff, police, firefighters, city workers or cutting wages, days, hours, benefits, offering early retirement incentives, seeking government & state funding etc.

Many are also considering dissolution/merging due to overlapping/duplicate municipal and public services. Although this is frequently discussed, it rarely happens due to local opposition.
MarkJ
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vision-master » Mon 15 Jun 2009, 08:16:43

offering early retirement incentives

This tatic only underfundes those public pension plans and in most cases put the burden right back on the taxpayer down the road. This is was has happened to MERF (pension plan). Our wonderful Mayor of lore (Sharon Sayles Belton) pulled this stunt.

FYI: She was our 1st black mayor and was a POS. :lol:
vision-master

Unread postby MarkJ » Mon 15 Jun 2009, 09:55:53

One of our schools that offered early retirement to veteran teachers hoped more teachers would take the deal, but many didn't take the deal. They ended up terminating a few dozen teachers and staff, plus cut benefits, classes, programs and activities.

Some schools may be closed in the near future as well since school age population has dropped in some regions, plus many schools may merge with other schools.

One local school recently had close to 700 job applications for 2 available teaching positions which shattered previous records by a mile.

Two of my aunts are refused early retirement incentives offered by their school systems as well.
MarkJ
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby mattduke » Mon 15 Jun 2009, 10:06:48

Is there an entitlement equivalent to turbotax to help one maximize their welfare checks?
mattduke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Mon 15 Jun 2009, 10:42:29

mattduke wrote:Is there an entitlement equivalent to turbotax to help one maximize their welfare checks?

No. It's a slippy slope filled with many dangers. :P
vision-master

Unread postby rangerone314 » Mon 15 Jun 2009, 12:16:22

vision-master wrote:Social security checks stop and we will see mad-max.

What, a bunch of old people with guns like that old whackjob who attacked the Holocaust Center?

Maybe they'll deflect police tasers with their metal walkers...
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby threadbear » Mon 15 Jun 2009, 14:20:24

Windmills wrote:Just about any kind of government check, program, or payment is "entitlement" or "welfare" to me. I'd lump a heck of a lot of useless and ultra-expensive military contracts into the welfare category, along with NASA and everything else that takes government money. If sucking off the government teat in any form is welfare, the question then becomes, which of the programs is deserving of welfare handouts?

The military is by and large the greatest money wasting, welfare stimulus project, out there. All bases on foreign soil will eventually be closed, due to public pressure. The US is going to turn it's back on the world, in more ways than one. It doesn't need the world, and the world doesn't need or want it anymore. It's become a great sucking parasite, the masticating parts situated entirely in it's military arm.
threadbear
Expert
Expert

Unread postby odegaard » Mon 15 Jun 2009, 17:27:32

Text deleted by Eastbay
odegaard
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby beamofthewave » Thu 25 Aug 2011, 21:32:38

Entitlement checks to who? If your answer is "too the banks" then the answer is not as long as the government is in existence.
beamofthewave
Peat
Peat

Previous

Return to Economics & Finance