Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

"bottle-brushing": How does it work?

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

"bottle-brushing": How does it work?

Unread postby Mark_i » Thu 08 Jul 2004, 12:11:57

In this article

http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/ww3/062104_berlin_peak.html

is a reference to a method for pumping oil from aging fields called "bottle-brushing".

Can any one here (perhaps even a petro-engineer) explain me who this method actually works? Why does it lead to an abrupt stop of oilflow? Are there perhaps synonyms for this expression?

Graphics about this method are also welcomed!

thanks!

Mark
Mark_i
Peat
Peat

Location: Bavaria, Germany - for the Americans here: this is in Europa ;o)

Unread postby PhilBiker » Thu 08 Jul 2004, 13:18:06

Look for the "2004 well" in this presentation: Matthew Simmons' work.. A very simplistic explanation.
PhilBiker
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Bottle Brush Wells

Unread postby Guest » Thu 08 Jul 2004, 13:24:53

I'm not a petro-engineer, though I have cleaned out plenty of bottles, and I may be just regurgitating from the same materials as you have read but, as I understand it, Bottle-Brushing involves drilling a horizontal shaft with smaller holes drilled radially outward from this central horizontal shaft. Think of a Christmas tree stuck horizontally into a snowbank. (I realize in Bavaria, being so near the Equator, that you don't get as much snow as we do here in America, but bear with me). The tree trunk is the main horizontal shaft the branches extending radially out around the shaft are the 'bottle brush' pattern of drill holes. With this 'capillary' in place the oil will pump out easier once water pressure is applied to the field. It flows into the brush because it is the path of least resistance. When the water table rises to the level of the bottle brush it naturally, and more easily, flows into the cavity of the bottle brush. Whereas were the bottle brush not there the water table would have to force itself through whatever, undoubtley smaller, naturally occuring fissures and cracks are present. Owing to the different viscosities, once this happens it becomes impractical to pressurize the field and force any more oil out because your bottle brush is full of water from the water table, with no bottom so to speak, which cannot be as easily pressurized as water injected into a closed cavity.

So, well. I really don't know what I'm talking about and maybe this link from Simmons will help:

http://www.simmonsco-intl.com/files/CSIS.pdf.

Unread postby Mark_i » Fri 09 Jul 2004, 04:03:43

Hi,

thank you a lot for your explanations!

(I realize in Bavaria, being so near the Equator, that you don't get as much snow as we do here in America, but bear with me

You don't have ever been in Bavaria, right? Though it is the mostsouthern state of Germany, it is the snowrichest state and it includes some parts of the alps. We're still between about 45 and 50 Degree northern latitude (Canadian-American border is 49 ° N, correct?)

Some "proofs" for this: :lol:

Caste Neuschwanstein at winter:

Winter in "Oberbayern" (Upper-Bavaria):

The Zugspitze, a mountain of 3.000 meters:

for more infos about Bavaria please look here: http://www.bayern.de/English/

Bavaria is the state with Germany's largest hydro-power percentage: :lol: about 16% of electricity is generated from it. Plus almost 50% nuclear.

Sorry, but I cannot open this file :roll: Did you misspell it?
Mark_i
Peat
Peat

Location: Bavaria, Germany - for the Americans here: this is in Europa ;o)

Unread postby Leanan » Mon 12 Jul 2004, 14:53:07

It works for me. It's a PDF file. You must have Adobe Acrobat installed to read it.

There's an explanation of bottle-brush drilling in this article from Asia Times:

http://www.energybulletin.net/newswire.php?id=1003

With bottle-brush drilling, a shaft is drilled horizontally over long distances with a number of brush-like openings. Water is then forced under pressure into the reservoir, forcing the oil up toward the wellheads. Extraction is thereby increased. However, when the water table hits the horizontal shaft, often without warning, the whole field may go virtually dead and production will immediately drop off to virtually nothing.

Examples of what has happened in other oil-producing countries when "bottle-brush" drilling was employed abound. Syria's oil production is now in terminal decline. Yemen is following, according to Ali Samsam Bakhtiari, vice president of the National Iranian Oil Co, who has long suggested that Saudi oil production might have peaked in the spring of 2003. Adds analyst William Kennedy, "For the record, Ghawar's ultimate recoverable reserves in 1975 were estimated at 60 billion barrels - by Exxon, Mobil, Texaco and Chevron. It had produced 55 billion barrels up to the end of 2003 and is still producing at 1.8 billion per annum. That shows you how close it might be to the end. When Ghawar dies, the world is officially in decline."
Leanan
News Editor
News Editor

Unread postby Cynic » Wed 14 Jul 2004, 01:10:42

Great pics of Bavaria Mark-i.

I would love to visit there. I was in Germany in 2001 not too far away - in Schwabia near Stuttgart.
Cynic

Return to Energy Technology