Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Desperate Airline Tactics Thread (merged)

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Re: OMG! Airline ticket prices!

Unread postby VinceG » Thu 17 Nov 2005, 05:38:23

turkishguy wrote:Ok, so I looked at some airlines with this option; Istanbul airport to Japan Narita airport.

A return ticket; cheapest price $3200! That is three grand and 2 hundred US dollars.

Turkishguy, go to THIS website

Enter FROM: Istanbul and TO: Narita

You'll see that you can still buy a return ticket for as low as $1134! :)
"In the U.S., fears are so exaggerated and out of control that anxiety is the number-one mental health problem in the country.", Barry Glassner
VinceG
Lignite
Lignite

Re: OMG! Airline ticket prices!

Unread postby EnergySpin » Thu 17 Nov 2005, 05:41:13

VinceG wrote:
turkishguy wrote:Ok, so I looked at some airlines with this option; Istanbul airport to Japan Narita airport.

A return ticket; cheapest price $3200! That is three grand and 2 hundred US dollars.

Turkishguy, go to THIS website

Enter FROM: Istanbul and TO: Narita

You'll see that you can still buy a return ticket for as low as $1134! :)

I prefewr travelocity but this will work too :)
"Nuclear power has long been to the Left what embryonic-stem-cell research is to the Right--irredeemably wrong and a signifier of moral weakness."Esquire Magazine,12/05
The genetic code is commaless and so are my posts.
EnergySpin
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

The effect on airline executives

Unread postby acgsuser » Tue 14 Nov 2006, 00:41:13

What is the effect of peak oil on airline executives other then the lowering of the companies shares values due to fuel cost increase? Anyone have any ideas? School assignment.

-Daniel
acgsuser
Wood
Wood

Re: The effect on airline executives

Unread postby MonteQuest » Tue 14 Nov 2006, 01:07:49

Read my Canary in the Mineshaft thread.
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

The Desperate Airline Tactics Thread (merged)

Unread postby misterno » Mon 02 Jun 2008, 13:47:03

I am really curious about this subject. I think it makes sense to charge people by weight. We all know that every ounce you put in that airplane makes it burn more fuel. But howcome they don't do that yet?

Is this against any moral or ethics form that we know of? Or is it just not feasible? I want to hear your thoughts about this subject.
misterno
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: IS CHARGING PEOPLE BY WEIGHT FEASIBLE FOR AIRLINES?

Unread postby Aaron » Mon 02 Jun 2008, 14:03:04

So you're saying I can get a discount if I show up naked & starving.
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Unread postby Cashmere » Mon 02 Jun 2008, 14:05:11

Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cashmere » Mon 02 Jun 2008, 14:13:43

Aaron wrote:So you're saying I can get a discount if I show up naked & starving.

Aaron, guys as good looking as us can show up just naked and get the discount.
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Mon 02 Jun 2008, 14:18:22

Makes sense to me. They do it with freight.

Same could apply to cars - fees based on weight (due to increased wear on public roads), variable storage (parking) charges for size.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby misterno » Mon 02 Jun 2008, 14:29:51

So why don't they do it? Maybe it is against the law?
misterno
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Gerben » Mon 02 Jun 2008, 14:32:40

I think this should be implemented. The problem is that you cannot weigh people in public. Some people would not fly with an airline that did that. So you should do it in a seperate room or even weigh people together with their luggage.
Hmm 200 pound. That small handbag of yours must be really heavy...
If you want to survive as an airline you should realy charge people to what they cost you to transport them. You will also need a base fee though. A skinny person still takes up a seat. And you might end up with lots of children in your airplanes (noisy, dirty little creatures) that require a lot of crew attention.

Road taxes in the Netherlands are already based on car weight btw.
Gerben
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Location: Holland, Belgica Foederata (Republic of the Seven United Netherlands)

Unread postby Daniel_Plainview » Mon 02 Jun 2008, 14:32:46

Some states (like California) have laws which prohibit discrimination based on weight / height. Moreover, people who are genetically predisposed to obesity (and who presumably have little control over their weight) would likely file a class action lawsuit, claiming unfair discrimination.

However, if a new federal law were enacted that specifically allowed for this, that federal law could preempt state laws, and weight discrimination could fly (pun intended).
Daniel_Plainview
Prognosticator
Prognosticator

Location: 7035 Hollis ... Near the Observatory ... Just down the way, tucked back in the small woods

Unread postby IanC » Mon 02 Jun 2008, 14:33:54

Funny you should mention that. My wife and I were just having this discussion. I think it makes perfect sense and I support the idea. Can you imagine what a uproar this would cause, though? Where would you weigh people? A certified scale at check-in? One last indignity at the end of security? Maybe just have a scale in the floor that automatically takes your weight and charges per pound to your credit card?

Wow, an obesity fee. Seriously though - a seat my 40 pound 4-year-old costs as much as the 350-pounder accross the aisle. Shouldn't she at least get an extra piece of baggage for her toys for free?

-IanC
IanC
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Niagara » Mon 02 Jun 2008, 14:47:36

Gerben wrote:I think this should be implemented. The problem is that you cannot weigh people in public.

Why not? It could be done discreetly. Have a floor scale which weighs the passenger and luggage together and displays the total weight. The public wouldn't need to see the digital display.
Niagara
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Clouseau2 » Mon 02 Jun 2008, 15:10:42

IanC wrote:Funny you should mention that. My wife and I were just having this discussion. I think it makes perfect sense and I support the idea. Can you imagine what a uproar this would cause, though? Where would you weigh people? A certified scale at check-in? One last indignity at the end of security? Maybe just have a scale in the floor that automatically takes your weight and charges per pound to your credit card?

Wow, an obesity fee. Seriously though - a seat my 40 pound 4-year-old costs as much as the 350-pounder accross the aisle. Shouldn't she at least get an extra piece of baggage for her toys for free?

-IanC

Well there's a scale right there at the checkout counter to weigh your luggage. Just upgrade those to handle 500 pounds (to handle most Americans) and you're all set. You can make sure only the person behind the counter sees the weight to avoid embarrassment and public humiliation.

Also, there could be rule that anyone over say, 350 pounds pay for two seats or go in first class. That would be a relief to passengers who have had the problems of people's bodies spilling over into their seats when they sit next to a morbidly obese person.

It doesn't matter if you haul 50 pounds of luggage or blubber ... It burns the same amount of fuel.
Clouseau2
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Iaato » Mon 02 Jun 2008, 15:27:05

I'm in favor of this one. Maybe it will induce some weight loss, and in doing so, take some pressure off of the health care system.

While we're at it, health insurance needs to be risk-based. Charge extra for smokers, addicts, and the obese.

These will be stop gap measures. The end is near for both airlines and health insurance anyway.
“Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value ---- zero.” --Voltaire
Iaato
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Location: As close as I can get to the beginning of the pipe.

Unread postby kpeavey » Mon 02 Jun 2008, 15:45:50

People are simply cargo, nothing more. The scales might want to be able to handle more than 500 pounds.
another way to do it is charge an initial fee up front for a ton, including traveler and luggage, refund what is not loaded on the plane. There is also the advantage of less bathroom use, and its cost, on the plane as the travelers do what they can to reduce their air fare just before getting in line.

I once flew from Boston to Cleveland between two fat ladies, didn't see my arms for 2 and a half hours.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--for ever."
-George Orwell, 1984
_____

twenty centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
-George Yeats
kpeavey
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Niagara » Mon 02 Jun 2008, 15:52:38

kpeavey wrote:I once flew from Boston to Cleveland between two fat ladies, didn't see my arms for 2 and a half hours.

They're not fat. They're "nutritional overachievers"
Niagara
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Denny » Mon 02 Jun 2008, 16:23:47

Gerben wrote:I think this should be implemented. The problem is that you cannot weigh people in public.

Actually it would bve easy enough to do, just stand on a mat with sensors. You don't need a giant dial so everybody sees it, just the electronics used for billiing need to know it.

People have a good idea of their weight, so they cold buy tickets ahead with a minor variance allowed, and nobody would be the wiser.
Denny
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cashmere » Mon 02 Jun 2008, 17:49:28

Well, if they do it, I think it should be with the maximum amount of shame possible.

Have the scale be on one side of the terminal and the recording agent be on the other side.

Then have the woman mount the scale, and scream the number across the terminal. Hire a really loud person, like me, for that job.

<b>Wife - 284!</b>
<b>Husband - 310!</b>
<b>Obese kid 1 - 160 </b>
<b>Obese kid 2 - 155 </b>

"Total added charge to fly this fat f-cking family to IdiotWorld in Orlando, $350."

Only they shouldn't use U.S. dollars. Everything should be converted to McDonald's double cheeseburgers.

"Total added charge to fly this fat f-cking family to IdiotWorld in Orlando, 359 double cheeseburgers."

Better yet, for the women they should have giant cow calipers hanging next to the scale so they can check the hip width. Yell that out too -
"We got an extra wide one, throw on a two seat charge for this heffer."

Perhaps a little shame is what these cow people need to figure out how disgusting they are.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Conservation & Efficiency