Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Motorcycle, Moped and Electric Bike Thread (merged)

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

motorcycles section

Unread postby vampyregirl » Sat 26 Jan 2008, 08:10:22

Could we maybe have a motorcycles section for members who ride? Just a thought.
vampyregirl
Coal
Coal

Scooter riders laughing all the way to the pump

Unread postby JohnDenver » Tue 27 May 2008, 20:46:24

Scooter riders laughing all the way to the pump by Aaron Ogg | The Grand Rapids Press, Tues May 27, 2008, 12:02 PM:
Jim Klinge, of Grand Rapids, bought a 49cc Wildfire scooter about two weeks ago because of rising gas prices. Klinge's scooter costs about $3 to fill and gets 100 miles to the gallon. Jim Klinge gets plenty of honks as he rides his blue scooter to and from work. But the 49-year-old Grand Rapids man doesn't think motorists are commending him for his fuel-conscious vehicle choice. "Cars don't have any respect for you," Klinge said. "You can be doing the speed limit, and they still come and pass you."

Still, Klinge is willing to deal with a few horn-happy gas guzzlers. He's laughing all the way to the pump. Klinge bought his 49cc Wildfire for $901 from Mill Creek Motors, 3867 West River Drive NE in Plainfield Township. He made the decision about three weeks ago as gasoline neared $4 per gallon.

He gets about 100 miles per gallon and rides it whenever possible, using bungee cords to strap groceries to the back. "I had to do something," he said. "My pickup (truck) was getting like 10 miles or 11 miles per gallon, if that." As the price of gas climbs, many cash-strapped motorists are turning to fuel-stingy motor scooters and smaller motorcycles.

Dealers in West Michigan and across the nation report brisk sales this spring, particularly for those that get 75 to 120 miles per gallon. Dave Marshall, sales manager at Mill Creek Motors, carries only the $901 model. Any color you want, as long as it's yellow, red or blue. He orders about a dozen a week and cannot keep them in stock, he said.

"With the price of gas and the mileage these things get, people are finding out that they can ride them even if it's going to the store," Marshall said. "They pay for themselves."

Link
Last edited by Ferretlover on Sat 14 Mar 2009, 23:53:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with THE Motorcycle, Moped & Electric Bike Thread.
JohnDenver
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Scooter riders laughing all the way to the pump

Unread postby joeltrout » Tue 27 May 2008, 20:50:08

I anticipate the amount of moped deaths will rise. Motorcycles are hard enough to see. Mopeds are even harder due to smaller size.

joeltrout
joeltrout
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Impervius » Tue 27 May 2008, 21:01:14

The scooter riders won't be laughing much longer as they see the price of food rising uncontrollably. The public has the mistaken belief that the only effect or rising price of crude is high gas prices.
Impervius
Wood
Wood

Unread postby jlw61 » Tue 27 May 2008, 21:09:04

joeltrout wrote:I anticipate the amount of moped deaths will rise. Motorcycles are hard enough to see. Mopeds are even harder due to smaller size.

joeltrout

That is axiomatic. If there are more mopeds on the street, there will be more moped deaths. However, if the number of mopeds increase significantly, does that not then mean that there are fewer cars on ther road? True, the numbers are not yet significant but should they become significant, then it should in turn reduce the number of deaths.

I've noticed this bias of two wheeled vehicles. I have a motorcycle and a bicycle plus I'm buying an electric bicycle for my wife at her insistance. Am I worried? No, because she and I are careful drivers and we expect the other guy to be out for us even when we're in our two-door gas efficient car. In fact, I feel less safe in that when I'm on the freeway doing 55mph and people are blasting past me at 80mph than on my bicycle doing 15mph and people are blasting past me at 25mph on the city street.
When somebody makes a statement you don't understand, don't tell him he's crazy. Ask him what he means. -- Otto Harkaman, Space Viking
jlw61
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby jlw61 » Tue 27 May 2008, 21:12:04

Impervius wrote:The scooter riders won't be laughing much longer as they see the price of food rising uncontrollably. The public has the mistaken belief that the only effect or rising price of crude is high gas prices.

Well, actually, yeah we will. Because instead of spending $35 a week to fill my car I'm spending $5 a week filling my motorcycle and $3 a year oiling my bicycle chains. That leaves a bit of cash left over for extra buttered popcorn.
When somebody makes a statement you don't understand, don't tell him he's crazy. Ask him what he means. -- Otto Harkaman, Space Viking
jlw61
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby 3aidlillahi » Tue 27 May 2008, 21:18:26

True, the numbers are not yet significant but should they become significant, then it should in turn reduce the number of deaths.

It will be interesting to see how the economic dynamics work out. Will it turn out to be roads full of buses and mopeds (90+% so)? Mopeders stand little chance at surviving a car smashing them let alone a bus. But if we get to that point, we'll have a 70-80% reduction in vehicle congestion which would lead to less deaths anyway. Possibly city codes would mandate different lanes for mopeds and smaller vehicles and other lanes for buses and personal vehicles.
Riches are not from abundance of worldly goods, but from a contented mind.
3aidlillahi
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Pops » Tue 27 May 2008, 22:02:27

:-D

Hi JD, I was just talking about you to someone or the other.

What brings you back to this Den of Doom?
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby frankthetank » Tue 27 May 2008, 22:06:05

My bicycle gets 1000mpg, can easily hit 30mph on flat ground and can go down trails/sidewalks, can blow through stop signs, red lights, and will fit inside the car :)

I'd take a scooter, but wouldnt spend 2K on one(Honda).

They also don't work in a Wisconsin winter.
lawns should be outlawed.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby max_in_wa » Tue 27 May 2008, 22:35:37

jlw61 wrote:... she and I are careful drivers and we expect the other guy to be out for us even when we're in our two-door gas efficient car. ....

That's the secret to driving a 2 wheeled conveyance -- treat the road like you have a bullseye painted on you back and are the target in some blood sport.

Everyone in the world seems to think he or she is a great driver. I don't have that illusion precisely because I do ride a lot. I notice that in the dead of winter when I'm driving my car and not my motorcycle, I get much more sloppy than when I'm sticking to two wheels. It's so easy to be distracted by the radio or other controls in a car and very easy to zone out to some degree. By January, I'm sure my car driving sucks.
max_in_wa
Peat
Peat

Unread postby kublikhan » Tue 27 May 2008, 23:30:57

If you tried to ride a bike/scooter during some of the bitter winter months we get here, I'd be the one laughing all the way to the pump.
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Heineken » Tue 27 May 2008, 23:56:57

Can't carry much merchandise on a scooter or bike. Just a bag or two of groceries or other stuff in a backpack or saddle bags.

Scooter riders may be laughing on the way to the pump, but they won't be laughing when they receive pink slips because the consumer-driven US economy has collapsed.
"Actually, humans died out long ago."
---Abused, abandoned hunting dog

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jato » Wed 28 May 2008, 00:21:38

A small displacement scooter will not work in my area. I need to go with the flow of traffic at 60 MPH. Therefore, I will be purchasing a KLR650, which gets 50-60 MPG. I will commute on the KLR.
jato

Unread postby SchroedingersCat » Wed 28 May 2008, 00:47:06

Of course, this all comes at a price. Unless you're driving a late-model 4 stroke scooter with emission controls, you are adding more pollution to the world than several SUV's. Even with the higher mileage.
Civilization is a personal choice.
SchroedingersCat
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby frankthetank » Wed 28 May 2008, 00:48:58

Where did you go to and is your ass still numb?

In the past few days i've noticed 3 different on road/off road bikes (probably like yours?) driving around. This would be my first choice because of the ruggedness you get with them. You could go flying through backyards on one of them.
lawns should be outlawed.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby JohnDenver » Wed 28 May 2008, 02:04:24

Heineken wrote:Can't carry much merchandise on a scooter or bike. Just a bag or two of groceries or other stuff in a backpack or saddle bags.

The next bit thing -- cargo scooters and bikes:
[video width=425 height=355]http://www.youtube.com/v/hb5LyN94Vx4&hl=en[/video]
JohnDenver
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby JohnDenver » Wed 28 May 2008, 02:09:33

Pops wrote::-D

Hi JD, I was just talking about you to someone or the other.

What brings you back to this Den of Doom?

Hi Pops, I hope you said something nice! :o
Just dropped in to spread the good news to the newbs.
No need to stress out about gas prices -- you can slash a zero off your fuel costs by riding a dorky little scooter. We're saved! Can I have an amen and a hallelujah for the dorky little 100mpg scooter?
JohnDenver
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Blacksmith » Wed 28 May 2008, 04:19:28

In my younger years I drove a scooter, great fun but also extremely dangerous. Cars would try to come as close to you as they could.
Employed senior
Blacksmith
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Specop_007 » Wed 28 May 2008, 09:18:28

No, Jetta drivers are the ones laughing all the way to the bank.

4 wheels, 8 air bags, radio, A/C, heat and a sunroof for when the weather is nice.

Best milage so far?? 65mpg
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=212102

Yeah, he can keep his cute little scooter.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the
Abyss, the Abyss gazes also into you."

Ammo at a gunfight is like bubblegum in grade school: If you havent brought enough for everyone, you're in trouble
Specop_007
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 28 May 2008, 09:27:58

Hawkcreek wrote:
Therefore, I will be purchasing a KLR650, which gets 50-60 MPG. I will commute on the KLR.

Just finished an 800 mile ride on mine last weekend. Ran great and I averaged 49 mpg, driving about a third of that at 70-80 mph.
Lots of fun, and dependable as an old mule.

The new Harley's get 54 mpg.

The BMW 650 (single) get 65 mpg.

Those 125cc scooters get 80 mpg.
vision-master

PreviousNext

Return to Conservation & Efficiency