Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Attack Could Send Oil to $500

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Attack Could Send Oil to $500

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sun 18 May 2008, 23:31:14

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said last week that crude oil would rise to "$400 or $500" per barrel in the event of a U.S. attack on his country, the biggest petroleum exporter in the Americas.

The reactivation of the U.S. Fourth Fleet in the Caribbean on July 1, as well as what he said is a possible U.S. base on the Guajira Peninsula, which is shared by Venezuela and Colombia, are both considered to be threats, Chavez said in a speech broadcast last night from the military academy.

"If there's a war against Venezuela, with the oil in this soil, it won't depart from the Venezuelans, it won't go to anyone."

The country is buying light, fast tanks and training citizens to defend the country against possible threats, he said.

In July, Chavez plans to meet with President Dmitry Medvedev in Moscow to discuss more arms purchases, which may include long- and short-range anti-aircraft defense systems.

link

Colombian troops intercepted in Venezuela

The Venezuelan government on Saturday accused 60 Colombian troops of illegally entering the Venezuelan territory and called "the incursion" a provocation by the Colombian government seeking to destabilize the region".

Venezuelan Foreign Minister Nicolas Maduro said the Colombian soldiers had been intercepted Friday in Venezuela's western Apure state, about 800 meters from the two countries' shared border.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Attack Could Send Oil to $500

Unread postby Mquinon3 » Sun 18 May 2008, 23:38:18

Cid, I enjoy your posts because they keep me up to date with conflict issues occurring globally, but I definately notice a trend with your posts. Keep'em coming.
Mquinon3
Wood
Wood

Unread postby americandream » Mon 19 May 2008, 00:13:53

Cid has a good handle on the geo-politics of this world..and he approaches our resource crises from a global perspective. Shame I can't say the same for many others on here with their narrow nationalisms/regionalisms and crazy conspiracy theories.

Yeah Cid, keep the news coming. It's very informative.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby mos6507 » Mon 19 May 2008, 00:16:05

americandream wrote:Cid has a good handle on the geo-politics of this world..and he approaches our resource crises from a global perspective. Shame I can't say the same for many others on here with their narrow nationalisms/regionalisms and crazy conspiracy theories.

In other words, he spins the news in a way that reinforces your ideology, therefore you'll claim he is presenting a "fair and balanced" picture of geopolitics.
mos6507

Unread postby eastbay » Mon 19 May 2008, 00:17:56

Yo Cid.... keep the news flowing. I always hit on your links and am rarely disappointed. :)
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby mos6507 » Mon 19 May 2008, 00:22:51

eastbay wrote:Yo Cid.... keep the news flowing. I always hit on your links and am rarely disappointed. :)

I'm not surprised, comrade.
mos6507

Unread postby americandream » Mon 19 May 2008, 00:36:53

mos6507 wrote:
americandream wrote:Cid has a good handle on the geo-politics of this world..and he approaches our resource crises from a global perspective. Shame I can't say the same for many others on here with their narrow nationalisms/regionalisms and crazy conspiracy theories.

In other words, he spins the news in a way that reinforces your ideology, therefore you'll claim he is presenting a "fair and balanced" picture of geopolitics.

There's no such thing as a balanced view. That's the nonsense you obfuscators peddle. You have your view of the world, I have mine. Live with it! And mine will prevail because it's not based on cornucopian bs.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Tyler_JC » Mon 19 May 2008, 00:40:05

And this will push up oil prices by a buck a barrel tomorrow, increasing Venezuela's profits by a few million dollars a day.

If I could give a speech and increase my profits by millions of dollars...I'd be giving speeches every day!

Just like Mr. Chavez is doing. :)
"www.peakoil.com is the Myspace of the Apocalypse."
Tyler_JC
Expert
Expert

Unread postby roccman » Mon 19 May 2008, 00:49:51

Tyler_JC wrote:And this will push up oil prices by a buck a barrel tomorrow, increasing Venezuela's profits by a few million dollars a day.

If I could give a speech and increase my profits by millions of dollars...I'd be giving speeches every day!

Just like Mr. Chavez is doing. :)

Hmmm...May 18 = 138th day of year...

A buck a day...you say?

$353.00 by 12.31.08

I think I am gonna start my own non-prof...maybe Roccman's Support Network for the Disillusioned.
"There must be a bogeyman; there always is, and it cannot be something as esoteric as "resource depletion." You can't go to war with that." Emersonbiggins
roccman
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics