Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The US Governmental Accountability Office (GAO) Thread (merg

Discuss research and forecasts regarding hydrocarbon depletion.

The US Governmental Accountability Office (GAO) Thread (merg

Unread postby hrspwr » Wed 23 Mar 2005, 17:15:46

US GAO sends up a flare: James Wells of the GAO was on C-span Washington Journal this morning using words like"drastic changes". The report is here
[url=http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d05414t.pdf]MEETING ENERGY DEMAND IN THE 21ST CENTURY Many Challenges and Key Questions Testimony Before the Subcommittee on Energy and Resources, Committee on Government Reform, House of Representatives[url]

The report is 38 pages long and my dialup sucks.
hrspwr
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Liamj » Wed 23 Mar 2005, 19:50:14

Read only to pg 12, scanned the rest, seems fairly valueless to me. Either they were thinking 'not in front of the children' or they haven't really got a clue about peaking. No mention of Hubbert, Campbell et al., no mention of controvesy on reserve #'s, uses only US EIA data.

2 quotes demonstrating their limp approach, these are as close as they come to admitting supply issues:
"Unless changes are made, meeting the forecast increase in energy demand could further stress an already strained system. " p6

"Going forward, the United States will increasingly rely on imported oil because although the United States is currently the world’s third largest oil producer, U.S. proven oil reserves account for only about 2 percent of total world reserves." p10

Gives outlines of many of the issues for US, but pulls all of its punchs, imho.
Liamj
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

GAO report on peak oil to be released

Unread postby Loderunner » Wed 28 Mar 2007, 21:41:18

GAO report on peak oil to be released
Published on 28 Mar 2007 by Energy Bulletin. Archived on 28 Mar 2007.
GAO report on peak oil to be releasedby Lisa Wright:
Washington, DC -- Congressmen Roscoe Bartlett (R-MD) and Tom Udall (D-NM), co-chairmen of the Congressional Peak Oil Caucus, announce a Capitol Hill news conference on Thursday, March 29, 2007 between 11:30 am and 12:00 noon in HC-9 of the Capitol to discuss the release of an embargoed GAO report.

The report will reveal the United States is particularly vulnerable and the United States federal government is unprepared to respond to severe consequences from an increasing risk of significant disruptions to world oil supplies from peak oil and other above ground political and economic factors.
When: Thursday, March 29, 2007
Where: HC-9, Capitol
Time: 11:30 am -12:00 noon

Members of Congress participating in the Capitol Hill news conference:
Rep. Roscoe Bartlett (R-MD), co-chair, Congressional Peak Oil Caucus
Rep. Tom Udall (D-NM), co-chair, Congressional Peak Oil Caucus
Other news conference participant speaker:
Mark E. Gaffigan, Acting Director, Natural Resources & Environment Team
U.S. Government Accountability Office

Could this be day the US wakes up to PO?
Loderunner
Wood
Wood

Re: Is the sleeping bear waking?

Unread postby Zeebo » Wed 28 Mar 2007, 22:23:15

As much I wish we were waking up, I predict we don't hear a peep of this in the MSM.
Zeebo
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Jack » Wed 28 Mar 2007, 22:24:20

I look forward to the report with considerable eagerness - but, in my opinion, Americans will remain willfully unaware of peak oil.

Keep in mind - Growth is, perhaps, even more American than apple pie. And I suspect that the implications of peak will not sink in until the demise of growth is accepted.

That won't be easy, nor will it be quick.
Jack
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby pup55 » Wed 28 Mar 2007, 22:31:13

Could this be day the US wakes up to PO

If a blonde with giant artificial breast implants is hired to conduct the news conference, then suddenly and mysteriously expires on the podium, I would say it has a chance.

I am thinking Roscoe will not attract too much attention, particularly with all of the crapola going on in Iran.
pup55
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby americandream » Wed 28 Mar 2007, 22:50:52

Jack wrote:I look forward to the report with considerable eagerness - but, in my opinion, Americans will remain willfully unaware of peak oil.

Keep in mind - Growth is, perhaps, even more American than apple pie. And I suspect that the implications of peak will not sink in until the demise of growth is accepted.

That won't be easy, nor will it be quick.

Pavlov's Dog.

How many barrels of oil did it take to fire up your tin man suit btw?
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Jack » Wed 28 Mar 2007, 23:00:38

americandream wrote:How many barrels of oil did it take to fire up your tin man suit btw?

I waste lots of oil. I have fun doing it. Per Jevon's paradox, I see no reason to do otherwise.

Abundance rejoices most in the face of want.

And, given the facts we'll soon see in the report, I expect to have plenty of opportunities to rejoice. Especially because my investments will appreciate as others face the ruin of their hopes and dreams.

I'll bet you're glad you asked.

8)
Jack
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby I_Like_Plants » Wed 28 Mar 2007, 23:01:06

pup55 wrote:If a blonde with giant artificial breast implants is hired to conduct the news conference, then suddenly and mysteriously expires on the podium, I would say it has a chance.

I'd say make it a blonde with huge plastic boobs, then have an instance of the funny scene in that movie with that guy, someone's inside the podium and eats her out and she has an orgasm mid-speech - then and only then 'Merkans might pay attention.
I_Like_Plants
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby frankthetank » Wed 28 Mar 2007, 23:46:42

I wouldn't doubt, If an hour before its release, a bunch of missiles fire off towards Iran...
lawns should be outlawed.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Loderunner » Thu 29 Mar 2007, 00:10:30

A quick search on Google news for "GAO Peak Oil" only revealed the Energy Bulletin story, no wires, no major news outlets.
Loderunner
Wood
Wood

Unread postby seldom_seen » Thu 29 Mar 2007, 00:27:42

What? I can't hear you? Speak up will you. Sorry I'm replacing the muffler on my GMC Yukon and it's kind of loud. Huh? A GAO report on...whos G A O? Hey listen call me later cause I have to get this fixed so I can tow the Jet Skis down to the lake...a peak oil? Seldom you nut you always read crazy shit on the internet. Don't worry they have some sort of contingency plan...what do you mean whose they? They, I mean you know the oil companies or whoever Bill Gates. Shut up you dick, here have a beer.
But how the world turns. One day, cock of the walk. Next, a feather duster.
seldom_seen
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: GAO report on peak oil to be released

Unread postby dinopello » Thu 29 Mar 2007, 07:43:38

I predict that this report will receive much more attention than most other GAO reports! :lol:
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby NeoPeasant » Thu 29 Mar 2007, 09:27:02

seldom_seen wrote:What? I can't hear you? Speak up will you. Sorry I'm replacing the muffler on my GMC Yukon and it's kind of loud. Huh? A GAO report on...whos G A O? Hey listen call me later cause I have to get this fixed so I can tow the Jet Skis down to the lake...a peak oil? Seldom you nut you always read crazy shit on the internet. Don't worry they have some sort of contingency plan...what do you mean whose they? They, I mean you know the oil companies or whoever Bill Gates. Shut up you dick, here have a beer.

Pee Coil? Dude, did you just tell me to pee on my spark plug coil? Same to you, buddy.
The battle to preserve our lifestyle has already been lost. The battle to preserve our lives is just beginning.
NeoPeasant
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Zardoz » Thu 29 Mar 2007, 09:44:34

...an embargoed GAO report...

"Embargoed"?

Anybody know what that's all about?
"Thank you for attending the oil age. We're going to scrape what we can out of these tar pits in Alberta and then shut down the machines and turn out the lights. Goodnight." - seldom_seen
Zardoz
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Aaron » Thu 29 Mar 2007, 09:56:09

It'll be interesting to see what is in the actual report.

Let's be honest... nobody here really expects wide-spread comprehension/support for Peak Oil.

Most of us are here primarily to take advantage of the biggest "I told you so" moment in human history & you know it.
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Unread postby wxman » Thu 29 Mar 2007, 10:06:25

Zardoz wrote:
...an embargoed GAO report...

"Embargoed"?

Anybody know what that's all about?

For practical purposes, it means it has been released to certain people, including the media, but it isn't supposed to go to the public until a certain date or time. It happens a lot with scientific articles, nothing conspiratorial about it.
wxman
Peat
Peat

Unread postby MD » Thu 29 Mar 2007, 10:09:02

I don't know . . . some days I am looking for the big "I told you so" . . . other days I'd prefer to be written off as another failed end-of-the-world nut job.

Being right isn't always wonderful.
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby Bas » Thu 29 Mar 2007, 10:32:36

I'm looking forward to reading this one, it should appear on this page within two hours.

And I'm definately looking forward to the big "I told you so" time :-D Not looking forward to everything after that :(
Bas

Unread postby sylviah » Thu 29 Mar 2007, 10:41:12

I'm confused. The last two posts say they were posted on Friday March 30th 2007. Is PO.com getting messages from the future? Last I checked, today is Thursday, March 29th, 2007.
sylviah
Peat
Peat

Next

Return to Peak oil studies, reports & models