Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Airline travel: answer this riddle!

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Airline travel: answer this riddle!

Unread postby pepper2000 » Thu 09 Dec 2004, 01:05:53

Seattle and Spokane are both in the state of Washington. By car, Portland, Oregon is about 2-3 hours from Seattle and about 6 hours from Spokane, and Seattle is about 5 hours from Spokane.

Suppose I want to travel from Seattle to Spokane by airplane. Now, due to intrastate travel issues that I don't understand, it would actually cost less to travel to Portland, and then take a flight to Spokane, than it would to travel directly to Spokane by airplane. I have lived in all three cities in recent years, so this issue has come up frequently for me.

Travelling from Seattle to Portland, and then Spokane, would be silly. For the amount of time it would take to deal with security and change planes, I might as well save a ton of money and take a Greyhound bus, which I usually do.

Can someone explain the economics that would lead to such a bizarre situation?

I put this topic in the Conservation forum because it is clearly a case of economics not leading to a sensible outcome, from an energy perspective or any other perspective.
pepper2000
Peat
Peat

Unread postby savethehumans » Thu 09 Dec 2004, 03:44:32

For the same reason the "experts" continue to believe in "economics" at all--and I don't know what THAT is, either! :lol:
savethehumans
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby _sluimers_ » Thu 09 Dec 2004, 12:15:04

If the flights between Spokane and Seattle are always empty except for you, and the flights between Spokane-Portland and Portland-Seattle are always completely full,
then it would quite understandable why.
_sluimers_
Peat
Peat

Return to Energy Technology