Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Country of Turkey Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Bosphorus Strait chokepoint closed to traffic

Unread postby skiwi » Sun 13 Mar 2005, 08:19:11

What effect will this have on the oil market this morning with
problems in one of the oil transport chokepoints :lol:

..Officials said the Bosphorus Strait was closed to maritime traffic after a roll-on-roll-off (ro-ro) vessel carrying seven liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) containers sank in the narrow waterway late yesterday...

LPG Containers Adrift At Sea
Let us make him who shall nourish and sustain us. What shall we do to be invoked; to be remembered in the earth.
We have tried with our first creatures but we could not make them venerate us.
So let us try to make obedient respectful beings who shall
skiwi
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby spear » Sun 13 Mar 2005, 08:54:46

That shows how easy it is to shut down a major route and how vulnerable and dependant on these routes we are.
As I said on another post,the oil means nothing without the routes.
This seems like a temporary issue but it could go permanent at anytime.
Or any other major route for that matter.
Thats when the real fun starts.
ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
spear
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby gg3 » Sun 13 Mar 2005, 09:05:37

Ro-ro roll your boat, over in the Strait
hardly so merrily, rather despairingly,
time to seal your fate!
gg3
Expert
Expert

Unread postby SD_Scott » Sun 13 Mar 2005, 13:04:18

That's interesting. What happens to the price of oil when there is no trading going on. I wonder if we will adopt a seven day trading program for oil in the future.
SD_Scott
Coal
Coal

Unread postby eastbay » Sun 13 Mar 2005, 14:36:23

Ro-ro roll your boat, over in the Strait
hardly so merrily, rather despairingly,
time to seal your fate!

Nice! (I think that's the shortest posting you've ever made here...lol)

EastBay
eastbay
Expert
Expert

THE Country of Turkey Thread (merged)

Unread postby stu » Mon 03 Oct 2005, 20:16:03

This will have huge implications for the EU if Turkey joins. Trouble ahead for Turkey's EU bid
Turkey's accession to the European Union would mark perhaps the most significant enlargement so far, extending EU borders to Iraq, Syria, Iran and the Caucasus and bringing in for the first time a huge country with a largely Muslim population

Personally I'm in favour. If it helps to build bridges towards the Muslim world then so be it.
Last edited by Ferretlover on Mon 02 Jan 2012, 21:39:16, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Merged with THE Country of Turkey Thread.
"The age of excess is over. The age of entropy has begun"
stu
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Turkey and the EU.

Unread postby flametree » Mon 03 Oct 2005, 20:43:03

I also hope that the EU can extend to Turkey.

If so it will be well on it way to becoming a global power rather than a regional power. Using consensus and co-operation rather than military power.
flametree
Peat
Peat

Unread postby rogerhb » Mon 03 Oct 2005, 21:30:56

It's not good if you think there will be a large scale movement of population looking for fertile land. If there is a mass movement from the cities back to the land, with the EU, it no longer limits those mass movements to purely within national boundaries. Which can easily lead to conflict and strife.
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers." - Henry Louis Mencken
rogerhb
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Chocky » Mon 03 Oct 2005, 22:16:27

Personally I'm in favour. If it helps to build bridges towards the Muslim world then so be it.

Seems to me that Britain hasn't done that well out of the bridges it built to the Muslim world. I don't live there though, perhaps I'm wrong.
Chocky
Coal
Coal

Unread postby peripato » Mon 03 Oct 2005, 22:44:12

stu wrote:This will have huge implications for the EU if Turkey joins.

Trouble ahead for Turkey's EU bid

Turkey's accession to the European Union would mark perhaps the most significant enlargement so far, extending EU borders to Iraq, Syria, Iran and the Caucasus and bringing in for the first time a huge country with a largely Muslim population

Unless you're Greek or Greek Cypriot. My family comes from an island bordering Asia Minor (3 miles to Turkey). Turkey has contested the validity of Greek sovereignty in this area of the Aegean for years, coming close to confilict with Greece many times over issues such as seabed demarcation, oil potential, flight information ranges etc, most recently during the Imia Crisis 1996.Link.

The inclusion of Turkey into EU membership would open up the possibility for Turkish settlement of the islands close to her coast, of which she has coveted for many years, legally possible with this move as EU citizens are entitled to live and work where they please anywhere inside the borders of the Union. Same goes for the rest of unocccupied Cyprus.
peripato
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby rogerhb » Mon 03 Oct 2005, 23:29:39

I thought there was some ruling that countries with terratorial disputes with EU members could not join the EU.

What is Spain's status with the EU? UK and Spain still dispute Gibraltar.
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers." - Henry Louis Mencken
rogerhb
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby peripato » Tue 04 Oct 2005, 00:22:22

rogerhb wrote:I thought there was some ruling that countries with terratorial disputes with EU members could not join the EU.

What is Spain's status with the EU? UK and Spain still dispute Gibraltar.

Yes I believe the Gibraltar dispute is still active but this is a colonial issue. However the difference is that Spain is not disputing the U.K's territorial integrity as a result of this old colonial issue.
peripato
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby peripato » Tue 04 Oct 2005, 02:01:25

ElijahJones wrote:It does seem that you have to go way back to find common culture between Turkey and Greece, way, way back like 2000 years. I hope it works out for the best. At any rate one might say symobically that the eastern and western empires have been joined again and that this union predates Ottoman and Byzantine, a union not seen for sixteen centuries. That's symbolically pretty powerful, Rome has risen again.

Greeks, Turks, and in general all balkan peoples share a tremendous shared cultural traditon but this shared tradition is very complex to say the least. The Turks as Ottomans borrowed from Byzantium when they overran it, the Greeks as Romans - citizens of the Eastern Roman Empire (Byzantium, of which Asia Minor, present day asiatic Turkey, was its heartland) borrowed much in turn from the Turks. To this day Greeks colloqually refer to themselves as Romyi, and the Turkish state refers to the few thousand Greeks still living in Turkey, as Rum.

There does exist a degree of popular affection between the two peoples, myself having a number of Turkish friends. However the Turkish state and the Kemalist ideology that holds sway in that country is implacably anti-Greek. Looking through the prism of peak oil one can only shudder at what is in store for my beloved island once the consequences of overshoot become apparent.
peripato
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby MicroHydro » Tue 04 Oct 2005, 02:41:11

It might have worked well during the boom of the 1990s, perhaps. I doubt it will end well as people of all nations come under stress as a result of peak oil.
"The world is changed... I feel it in the water... I feel it in the earth... I smell it in the air... Much that once was, is lost..." - Galadriel
MicroHydro
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Licho » Tue 04 Oct 2005, 05:00:07

It's interesting that more Cypriots and Greeks (30%+) than for example Austrians(10%) support Turkey membership..
I personally support membership of Turkey, but I'm afraid that if referendum is held, it won't approve it..
Licho
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby MrBean » Tue 04 Oct 2005, 06:40:08

peripato wrote:Unless you're Greek or Greek Cypriot. My family comes from an island bordering Asia Minor (3 miles to Turkey). Turkey has contested the validity of Greek sovereignty in this area of the Aegean for years, coming close to confilict with Greece many times over issues such as seabed demarcation, oil potential, flight information ranges etc, most recently during the Imia Crisis 1996.Link.

The inclusion of Turkey into EU membership would open up the possibility for Turkish settlement of the islands close to her coast, of which she has coveted for many years, legally possible with this move as EU citizens are entitled to live and work where they please anywhere inside the borders of the Union. Same goes for the rest of unocccupied Cyprus.

Na perpatáme mazí me tous Toúrkous! Na chorépsoune tsiftetéli o Yannis ke o Osman!

Greek governements, both Pasok's and Nea Dimokratia's, have been strongly in favour of Turkey's membership, as they see that being the only feesible way to solve those territorial and other disagreements and the question of Cyprus, and "pacify" Turkish nationalism. Eternal blame gaming and hatemongering between the two nations won't solve anything, so I'm fully in agreement with this aspect of Greek foreign policy.
MrBean
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby spear » Tue 04 Oct 2005, 11:23:12

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Im busy now but I will post in a bit.
ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
spear
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby spear » Tue 04 Oct 2005, 13:41:00

When and if Turkey enters the EU,Europe will be flooded with 20 MILLION Turkish peasants looking for a better and EASIER life.
Now which countries are going to absorb these people I ask.
And who will be the first to come over??The PRISONERS.
They will empty out their prisons first and get rid of all their headaches.
We saw this in the early nineties when the Albanians started entering Europe.
So the Europeans will know who they will be living next to,when the first wave of their new EU brethren arrives.Thats for starters.
And how long will it take until everything is organized and the new members start paying their taxes??If ever.Until then who is going to foot their bills??
The rest of us,thats who.The rest of the EU.

WHY does the US and Britain support Turkey so much??
Maybe the Bosporus?Maybe Turkish western borders?Maybe the oil in the Aegean?Which is why all the disputes over the borders between Turkey and my country.Or because of the cheap labor.Maybe Im missing something here.

There were 43 invasions of Greek air space by Turkish fighter planes a few days ago when the negotiations were going bad.And dogfights.All this in one day.This is a daily thing here,one or two,but 43 is a record first.
In other words,if we dont get what we want,we terrorize you.Thats what they are saying.
And its not Greek air space only anymore,its EU air space.So they are spitting right in everyones face ALREADY.,during negotiations for ACCEPTANCE.Showing no respect for anything.
So if they do this now,what will they do later??
ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
spear
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Next

Return to Asia Discussion