Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Earth in 2100 Thread (merged)

Re: THE Earth in 2100 Thread (merged)

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Fri 06 Jul 2018, 00:26:04

There was some dystopian movie back in the '60's, I can't recall the name, but the US passed a law that at age 60, you became ineligible for medication or medical treatment. It was pretty good, but I can't remember what the name was. It may have been a made for TV movie.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ozcad » Sat 07 Jul 2018, 05:16:09

Picard flute solo (with invisible piano):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE1Zo5Ljws0

Orchestrated version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS98MygfoOE
ozcad
Peat
Peat

Unread postby onlooker » Tue 14 Aug 2018, 17:51:03

ma-report-2005.png

One wonders what life wiil be able to survive by 2100, at the rate we are degrading depleting and destabilizing Ecosystems
From Millennium Ecosystem Assessment Synthesis Report (Pre-publication Final Draft approved by MA Board on March 23, 2005)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 16 Aug 2018, 16:10:53

Cid_Yama wrote:There was some dystopian movie back in the '60's, I can't recall the name, but the US passed a law that at age 60, you became ineligible for medication or medical treatment.

It was pretty good, but I can't remember what the name was. It may have been a made for TV movie.

A very popular and good book discussing the Vietnam war, but in the context of an interstellar future war, called "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman, had the theme of a future where retirees with Medicare no longer received treatment, unless they had some kind of very special political status as a VIP. Expensive to prosecute a war with aliens and all that...

There was a Star Trek TNG episode with that theme, called "Half a Life". (With advancing medical technology, 60 probably WAS roughly half a life). A 60 year old scientist from another race was about to go report and die (even at the cost of his own work, which was help saving his planet) as that's what duty and tradition (and saving face, re his family) called for.

When set against the Klingon attitude of hoping to die in combat while still at a useful age, it was an interesting idea.

After watching loved ones dies horribly from the ravages of old age, diseases like cancer, seeing the "care" received in supposedly "among the best" nursing homes, I value quality of life FAR above length of life, at least for my personal decisions.

Each to their own. At least, so far, we have the right to choose as long as some well-meaning (or not) person doesn't get us ruled incompetent.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 16 Aug 2018, 16:23:53

Oh. And then there's Soylent Green. One aspect almost everyone seems to see as a dystopian horror, I see as BETTER than our current system, and I fervently hope some aspect of that becomes an OPTION.

When someone chooses, they can volunteer to be put down. A pill or injection (I forget which), lie down, watch some nice video, and done.

IMO, if it weren't for the irrationality of religion, we could already have that as a rational option. As long as safeguards are in place to prevent coercion, it would save a TON of money in end of life (and horrendous quality of life, generally) care.

The key word, of course, is option, IMO.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Yonnipun » Thu 16 Aug 2018, 17:20:32

Outcast_Searcher wrote:Oh. And then there's Soylent Green. One aspect almost everyone seems to see as a dystopian horror, I see as BETTER than our current system, and I fervently hope some aspect of that becomes an OPTION.

When someone chooses, they can volunteer to be put down. A pill or injection (I forget which), lie down, watch some nice video, and done.

IMO, if it weren't for the irrationality of religion, we could already have that as a rational option. As long as safeguards are in place to prevent coercion, it would save a TON of money in end of life (and horrendous quality of life, generally) care.

http://www.dignitas.ch/index.php?option ... 47&lang=en
Yonnipun
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 16 Aug 2018, 22:41:29

Interesting thought game. But consider this: how did folks view the year 2000 in 1918? The world just witnessed the slaughter of WWI especially from huge tech advances in weapons. And remember it wasn’t called WWI back then. It was “the war to end all wars”. Autos and airplanes were the new big exciting techs. One general speculated countries wouldn’t go to war since their civilians could be killed by enemy aircraft. A funny speculation now for survivors at Hiroshima. And then the tens of millions killed by the Spanish flue pandemic. A tad more serious then Ebola, eh?

Now jump back to 1818 and think about what they might have anticipated for the year 1900. Just finished a new war confirming the existence of a new upstart country called the United States of America. The same “united” states that saw 600,000 of their citizens slaughtered trying to remain united less then 50 years later. Slaughtered by their own citizens no less.

If one has a good knowledge of history they could play this game for hours. Given how no one has ever come up with anything close to correctly speculating what the next 80 to 100 years would bring should we expect any better accuracy doing so today? Especially if one considers the rate of change of societies and tech. Granted it’s somewhat subjective but IMHO that delta has been increasing at least over the last 200 to 300 years.

But no harm in anyone here giving it a try today: you won’t be alive in the next 80+ years to face the ridicule of folks at that time. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Thu 16 Aug 2018, 22:58:03

Outcast_Searcher wrote:Oh. And then there's Soylent Green. One aspect almost everyone seems to see as a dystopian horror, I see as BETTER than our current system, and I fervently hope some aspect of that becomes an OPTION.

It was an allusion to Socrates drinking the poison cup. As far as Euthanasia goes, it was very kind and respectful. The music was from The Four Seasons, Vivaldi. A fine choice.

The apparently socially engineered concept of 'Going Home' was essential. That way people were merely retiring from life, returning to the place from whence one came.

Today, anyone with access to prescription drugs has that option, in the comfort of their own home, in the manner of their own choosing. No need for the government to get involved, and I imagine it happens in just that manner in far greater numbers that officials will admit, or can even know.

People aren't stupid. When they want to go they will.
Last edited by Cid_Yama on Thu 16 Aug 2018, 23:13:31, edited 1 time in total.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 16 Aug 2018, 23:04:28

Cid_Yama wrote:
Outcast_Searcher wrote:Oh. And then there's Soylent Green.

It was an allusion to Socrates drinking the poison cup. As far as Euthanasia goes, it was very kind and respectful. The music was from The Four Seasons, Vivaldi. A fine choice.

The apparently socially engineered concept of 'Going Home' was essential. That way people were merely retiring from life, returning to the place from whence one came.

Agreed on everything as far as the euthanasia.

How do we know it was an allusion to Socrates and the poison cup? Not disagreeing, just trying to understand as a fan of Socrates via Plato's writing.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Thu 16 Aug 2018, 23:29:46

Interesting thought game. But consider this: how did folks view the year 2000 in 1918? The world just witnessed the slaughter of WWI especially from huge tech advances in weapons. And remember it wasn’t called WWI back then. It was “the war to end all wars”. Autos and airplanes were the new big exciting techs. One general speculated countries wouldn’t go to war since their civilians could be killed by enemy aircraft. A funny speculation now for survivors at Hiroshima. And then the tens of millions killed by the Spanish flue pandemic. A tad more serious then Ebola, eh?

well I wasn't born yet but as my parents tell it they partied like there was no tomorrow, until the dirty thirties when everything got taken away from many people. But they made their way through that and went to war again (at least Brits and Canadians did, the US sat on the sidelines for far too long) and after that, the elation and the drive that many of the folks coming through those bad times had built a bit of an economy. And building that economy and the security they did for their offspring built the foundation for the tech revolution and on and on to where we are now.

I think the answer is the folks in 1918 didn't give a stuff about what the world would be like 80 years later, they were focussed on the next few years of their lives and they fought the war because for them it was the right thing to do.

We (and I'm guessing I'm saying boomers) are probably the first generation that has the luxury of contemplating what the future will bring. My guess is whatever we will imagine will be far from what it will be for two reasons....bad shit happens and we always underestimate technological advancements. To the first issue who knew Mount St Helens was going to blow? Certainly not any of my close friends who were igneous volcanologists. To the second issue back 15 years ago who would have predicted the ability to do the large fracs that are now commonplace? So we can sit here and opine on what will happen based on our present experience and it will almost certainly be wrong. The earth might be hit by a large meteorite or someone might be able to crack the concept of cold fusion (hey, I don't believe it is possible but I have an open mind). The best thing to do is admit we haven't a clue.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Thu 16 Aug 2018, 23:36:45

Actually it is from the writing of Xenophon.

"At one time Socrates was a member of the Council [boule], he had taken the senatorial oath, and sworn 'as a member of that house to act in conformity with the laws.' It was thus he chanced to be President of the Popular Assembly [ekklesia], when that body was seized with a desire to put the nine generals, Thrasyllus, Erasinides, and the rest, to death by a single inclusive vote. Whereupon, in spite of the bitter resentment of the people, and the menaces of several influential citizens, he refused to put the question, esteeming it of greater importance faithfully to abide by the oath which he had taken, than to gratify the people wrongfully, or to screen himself from the menaces of the mighty. The fact being, that with regard to the care bestowed by the gods upon men, his belief differed widely from that of the multitude. Whereas most people seem to imagine that the gods know in part, and are ignorant in part, Socrates believed firmly that the gods know all things -- both the things that are said and the things that are done, and the things that are counselled in the silent chambers of the heart. Moreover, they are present everywhere, and bestow signs upon man concerning all the things of man."

This is why Socrates was condemned to death. His refusal to accept the apperances which most men believed, as promoted by those in power, and corrupted others from that belief.

Saul, a member of the Library Council, discovered the truth, and both acted against the established order, by having him body followed to prove what he suspected, and believed that upon 'Going Home' he would get the answers he sought, from God himself.

That is why they used the poison chalice upon his death bed.

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 17 Aug 2018, 15:25:54

RD, good points, but in 1918, no one would have predicted that the Arctic Sea in 2000 would be well along in the process of becoming ice free.

Now fairly straight forward physics can tell us something of what is and is not going to happen in the coming decades and centuries (the globe is gonna get hotter, unless we figure out some way to suck lots of CO2 out of the atmosphere and sequester it securely), and physics can also pretty reliably rule some things out (it's not going to get cooler globally, short of a nuclear winter or something).

Along those lines, we keep getting more and more accurate at pinning down what the intermediate range temperature increase will be with a doubling of CO2...3.5C or higher:

Dessler & Forster (2018) demonstrate rather convincingly that the likely range for ECS in the period from 2000 to 2017 was 2.4 to 4.6C as opposed to AR5's cited likely range of 1.5 to 4.5C. Furthermore, it is important to remember that ECS is not a fixed value but rather is projected to increase with continued global warming, this century:

A. E. Dessler and P.M. Forster (07 August 2018), "An estimate of equilibrium climate sensitivity from interannual variability', Journal of Geophysical Research Atmospheres, https://doi.org/10.1029/2018JD028481

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com ... tedarticle

Abstract
Estimating the equilibrium climate sensitivity (ECS; the equilibrium warming in response to a doubling of CO2) from observations is one of the big problems in climate science. Using observations of interannual climate variations covering the period 2000 to 2017 and a model‐derived relationship between interannual variations and forced climate change, we estimate ECS is likely 2.4‐4.6 K (17‐83% confidence interval), with a mode and median value of 2.9 and 3.3 K, respectively. This analysis provides no support for low values of ECS (below 2 K) suggested by other analyses. The main uncertainty in our estimate is not observational uncertainty, but rather uncertainty in converting observations of short‐term, mainly unforced climate variability to an estimate of the response of the climate system to long‐term forced warming.

Plain language summary
Equilibrium climate sensitivity (ECS) is the amount of warming resulting from doubling carbon dioxide. It is one of the important metrics in climate science because it is a primary determinant of how much warming we will experience in the future. Despite decades of work, this quantity remains uncertain: the last IPCC report stated a range for ECS of 1.5‐4.5 deg. Celsius. Using observations of interannual climate variations covering the period 2000 to 2017, we estimate ECS is likely 2.4‐4.6 K. Thus, our analysis provides no support for the bottom of the IPCC's range."

You can obtain a copy of the paper here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nt4YEM ... Kj1G-/view

this work combined with Brown & Caldeira 2017 https://www.nature.com/articles/nature24672 and Caldwell 2018 https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/10.117 ... -17-0631.1 are definitive and should firmly place ECS at 3.5 or greater.

(Thanks to jd and aslr at asif for these links and text)
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Fri 17 Aug 2018, 15:36:53

Now fairly straight forward physics can tell us something of what is and is not going to happen in the coming decades and centuries (the globe is gonna get hotter, unless we figure out some way to suck lots of CO2 out of the atmosphere and sequester it securely), and physics can also pretty reliably rule some things out (it's not going to get cooler globally, short of a nuclear winter or something).

there are no guarantees on any of this. There is still much uncertainty about what drives climate, and almost certainly variables at play that are either not considered important at the moment or poorly constrained. A sudden increase in plate subduction rate followed by increased explosive vulcanism all along the ring of fire could result in a substantial period of cooling. As I mentioned one super volcano could result in regional cooling for a considerable time. Increased vulcanism in Antarctica or Greenland could result in loss of a substantial part of the Greenland ice sheet and the West Antarctic ice sheet with an attendant rise in sea level. There are many events that could happen but may not, all of which could completely alter the future.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 17 Aug 2018, 16:46:20

A sudden increase in plate subduction rate followed by increased explosive vulcanism all along the ring of fire could result in a substantial period of cooling. As I mentioned one super volcano could result in regional cooling for a considerable time.

I don't think we can count on that kind of thing to happen and save us from global warming.

Eventually we'll have to take steps ourselves to stop the concentration of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere from growing.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 17 Aug 2018, 18:10:52

Well put, P. I mean of course, a huge comet could hit the earth and alter the climate (and much else) in unsuspected ways, but those are quite remote possibilities. Just because you can't predict something 100% (which pretty much you never can), doesn't mean you can't know some things with 99.999...% certainty.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Fri 17 Aug 2018, 19:49:11

Well put, P. I mean of course, a huge comet could hit the earth and alter the climate (and much else) in unsuspected ways, but those are quite remote possibilities.

we know that at least once the earth was hit by a large meteorite that altered the climate for a very long time. That means the possibility of it happening again are very high. The statistics of the chance of occurrence (once every how many years) are another argument, one that is difficult for mathematicians to put their arms around.

And if you think you understand climate change with 99.999% certainty then you really have a problem. :roll:
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 18 Aug 2018, 00:51:45

rockdoc123 wrote:
Well put, P. I mean of course, a huge comet could hit the earth and alter the climate (and much else) in unsuspected ways, but those are quite remote possibilities.

we know that at least once the earth was hit by a large meteorite that altered the climate for a very long time. That means the possibility of it happening again are very high. The statistics of the chance of occurrence (once every how many years) are another argument, one that is difficult for mathematicians to put their arms around.

And if you think you understand climate change with 99.999% certainty then you really have a problem. :roll:

From what I've read from multiple sources (which could mean it's urban legend), the chances of dying from a large meteor striking earth are roughly the odds of the average person dying from a plane crash.

Which means nonzero, but remote -- during the course of ONE human lifespan. Now, you start to talk over millions of years, or especially tens of millions of years for ANY human lifepans, then eventually those odds of dying from a meteor strike become very ugly indeed.

However, with man made issues like AGW and population overshoot looking hideously dangerous within the span of a couple/few human lifetimes, the meteor strike worries look like rounding errors.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 18 Aug 2018, 07:38:44

Well this conversation sort of brings us back to the recent M B S nuclear thread debate. A big enough exchange could roughly simulate a super volcano or meteor strike. That we do have in our control and the chances are not high but not negligible.

Not advocating, just pointing out.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 18 Aug 2018, 07:51:39

Yes. A wise species would have adopted a precautionary principle to something so extremely destabilizing as CC. Hence, Homo Sapiens are not wise
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 25 Aug 2018, 20:33:39

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... ge-709470/

"By 2100, Lovelock believes, the Earth’s population will be culled...to as few as 500 million, with most of the survivors living in the far latitudes...

A new paper published last week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences called “Trajectories of the Earth System in the Anthropocene” reached more or less the same conclusion, even if was stated in more general scientific terms (and of course minus any reference to a “culling” of Earth’s population).

The paper, which was widely covered by everyone from USA Today to Al Jazeera, projected a very Lovelock-ian view of our world, arguing that even if we managed to hit the carbon emissions targets set in the Paris Climate Accord, we still might trigger a series of accelerating climate-system feedback loops that would push the climate into a permanent hothouse state, with a warming of four, five or even six degrees Celsius. If that were to happen, the paper argued, “Hothouse Earth is likely to be uncontrollable and dangerous to many, particularly if we transition into it in only a century or two, and it poses severe risks for health, economies, political stability (especially for the most climate vulnerable), and ultimately, the habitability of the planet for humans.”...
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate