Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Gas-to-Liquids (GTL)

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: Gas-to-Liquids (GTL)

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 26 Dec 2017, 11:29:28

pstarr wrote:Natural gas is made into paint and liquid fertilizer.

You should have wiki'd up that knowledge before you pretended to understand that the title of the thread was Gas-To-Paint or Gas-To-Fertilizer. And then missed the idea that the Pearl plant made jet fuel for the Qatar airlines, just like it did engine oils available at your local walmart. All of these things I've mentioned are LIQUIDS, just like the title says.

Why don't you and the wife adopt a 6 year old Chinese child, teach them a months worth of English and let them post in your stead, the entire flavor of this place would change if you added that level of intelligence to your posting.
Peak oil in 2020: And here is why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3ttqYDwF0
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Sun 24 Jun 2018, 11:03:23

I'd call it cool, interesting, and a good start. But we're a LONG way from a practical, affordable solution on a planetary scale, IMO.

according to EIA more than 90% of total global GTL output comes from 4 projects, two in Qatar, one in South Africa and one in Nigeria. Using EIA reference price scenario they see no new large-scale GTL plants being built due to economics. They suggest there will be modular small-scale plants built (~5000 bpd capacity) but again due to economic constraints “Production from small-scale GTL plants is not a significant contributor to volumes of petroleum liquids by 2040".

These economic constraints are noted in global LNG markets as well where the addition of a number of new volumes to global trade has resulted in a global gas price that tracks somewhere between LNG operating cost and full cycle export costs.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby pstarr » Sun 24 Jun 2018, 13:36:51

The largest, Pearl GTL has been operating at half planned capacity for a while, due to unplanned "maintanance"
In 2003, the project cost was estimated to be US$5 billion. However, after facing huge cost escalation, it was reported to be $18 billion in 2007,[1] and, according to Qatar Petroleum sources, final project cost is expected to reach as high as $24 billion.[9] Because Shell's contract provided them with the input gas for free, the project was calculated to be viable once the price of oil exceeded $40 per barrel.[10]

Is it viable at $70? Perhaps
November 2016
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 25 Jun 2018, 08:08:15

CO2 to liquid fuels moved to carrect thread please continue that discussion HERE
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby lpetrich » Thu 28 Jun 2018, 01:30:44

Tanada wrote:
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Low oil prices and a volatile market are prompting a South African energy and chemical company to drop plans for an $11 billion to $14 billion U.S. plant to convert natural gas to liquid fuels and to pull out of Canadian shale. ....

LINK

From this and the rest of this thread, it seems like GTL for liquid fuels is only borderline economically viable -- its viability is very sensitive to the relative prices of natural gas and crude oil.

However, GTL for specialty hydrocarbons like motor oil seems to be thriving. I think that it is more successful there because (1) one needs much less lubricant than fuel and (2) GTL lube has demonstrably superior performance. This makes a price premium much more tolerable.

I hope that I have gotten the economics straight.
lpetrich
Peat
Peat

Previous

Return to Energy Technology