Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Deforestation Thread pt. 2

Re: The War On Trees

Unread postby Revi » Wed 16 May 2018, 16:46:54

I think trees are the best land to own. You can use them to heat your house, for lumber to pay the taxes, maple syrup and foraging for food and as a form of recreation. We have owned a woodlot for 17 years now and I recommend it highly.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby asg70 » Thu 17 May 2018, 08:22:04

This is the point where AdamB would mention PStarr's photo with the clear-cutting...

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 17 May 2018, 09:24:19

Then let’s not.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Revi » Thu 17 May 2018, 11:19:08

The trees are in the pic, behind the Tree Farm sign. We are logging next winter, so there may be a few less.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby asg70 » Fri 18 May 2018, 09:30:35

pstarr wrote:This dumb-@ss comment is from two bozo's who wouldn't know the difference between a healthy forest and a limp d#ck.

Well there you go. If a thread is started about moralizing over man's relationship to nature then it works at either a corporate or personal level. Your post directed at Revi started dragging the thread down into Spanish Inquisition territory so you're really no better than Adam when it comes to that sort of thing. Always quick to judge and not keen to take your own medicine.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 18 May 2018, 16:22:41

ASG and PSTARR.....

YOU ARE MAKING ME TURN AROUND!
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 09 Jun 2018, 13:14:26

"Something to think about:

The Earth is 4.6 billion years old.

Let's scale that to 46 years.

We have been here for 4 hours.

Our industrial revolution began 1 minute ago.

In that time, we have destroyed 50% of the world's forests.

This isn't sustainable."

-Vala Afshar.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Revi » Mon 11 Jun 2018, 09:19:59

pstarr wrote:
Revi wrote:The trees are in the pic, behind the Tree Farm sign. We are logging next winter, so there may be a few less.

The trees I see are no more than 6 inches in diameter. That is hardly a forest. Here in the Humboldt, the typical timber harvest rotation on any given plot of land is 40 years and the average cut tree size is probably 20 inches . . . still tragically small :cry:

We have about 500 tappable maples, and all sorts of other species on that lot. I agree that the trees aren't the size of the ones in Humbolt County, since they are some of the largest trees in the world. We do have three or 4 maples that are way bigger than a 24 inch diameter, and we put three taps in them. We use the smaller "ecolo taps" and don't use vacuum, so we just take what the trees give.

http://www.msad54.org/sahs/appliedarts/ ... /index.htm
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Mon 11 Jun 2018, 13:20:27

Are small trees somehow inferior to large trees?
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Revi » Mon 11 Jun 2018, 14:33:11

You can't tap a maple until it's got a 10 inch diameter, so I guess they are just the future forest. They are growing in. I like the maples we have because they are growing vigorously and are making more sap each year.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 11 Jun 2018, 16:08:35

Ancient Baobab trees dying off in Africa---Climate change is blamed

die-off-africa-oldest-baobabs

Darn....the Baobabs can't be dying off already. I haven't gotten to Madagascar to see them yet. I'm going to have to speed up my end-of-the-world tour to see all the things that are going to disappear due to climate change. I never dreamed the Baobab trees would start dying off before I even get there. I'm heading down there next summer (2019) and should be able to see them before they get totally wiped out.

If you want to see the ancient Baobab trees before they disappear you've got to go now...the die off has begun.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jupiters_release » Tue 26 Jun 2018, 10:18:30

pstarr wrote:
Better to offgas the methane. Extra CO2 in the atmosphere is great for growing cattle fodder. :)

Is this sarcasm or do you still really believe "global greening" beneficial to Gaia?
Do not seek the truth, only cease to cherish opinions.
jupiters_release
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 27 Jun 2018, 16:30:43

http://www.wri.org/blog/2018/06/2017-wa ... cover-loss

2017 Was the Second-Worst Year on Record for Tropical Tree Cover Loss

Last year was the second-worst on record for tropical tree cover loss, according to new data from the University of Maryland, released today on Global Forest Watch. In total, the tropics experienced 15.8 million hectares (39.0 million acres) of tree cover loss in 2017, an area the size of Bangladesh. That’s the equivalent of losing 40 football fields of trees every minute for an entire year.

Despite concerted efforts to reduce tropical deforestation, tree cover loss has been rising steadily in the tropics over the past 17 years. Natural disasters like fires and tropical storms are playing an increasing role, especially as climate change makes them more frequent and severe. But clearing of forests for agriculture and other uses continues to drive large-scale deforestation.

This is of course the opposite direction from where we should be going. Major effects on the carbon cycle and in the very wrong direction...

More here:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ta-reveals

One [soccer field] of forest lost every second in 2017, data reveals Global deforestation is on an upward trend, jeopardising efforts to tackle climate change and the massive decline in wildlife

The world lost more than one [soccer field] of forest every second in 2017, according to new data from a global satellite survey, adding up to an area equivalent to the whole of Italy over the year.

The scale of tree destruction, much of it done illegally, poses a grave threat to tackling both climate change and the massive global decline in wildlife. The loss in 2017 recorded by Global Forest Watch was 29.4m hectares, the second highest recorded since the monitoring began in 2001.

Global tree cover losses have doubled since 2003, while deforestation in crucial tropical rainforest has doubled since 2008. A falling trend in Brazil has been reversed amid political instability and forest destruction has soared in Colombia.

In other key nations, the Democratic Republic of Congo’s vast forests suffered record losses. However, in Indonesia, deforestation dropped 60% in 2017, helped by fewer forest fires and government action.

Forest losses are a huge contributor to the carbon emissions driving global warming, about the same as total emissions from the US, which is the world’s second biggest polluter.

Deforestation destroys wildlife habitat and is a key reason for populations of wildlife having plunged by half in the last 40 years, starting a sixth mass extinction.

“The main reason tropical forests are disappearing is not a mystery – vast areas continue to be cleared for soy, beef, palm oil, timber, and other globally traded commodities,” said Frances Seymour at the World Resources Institute, which produces Global Forest Watch with its partners. “Much of this clearing is illegal and linked to corruption.”
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby ozcad » Thu 28 Jun 2018, 01:06:39

Evidence to the contrary:
The reported greening effect may or may not be true, but it is nowhere near sufficient, as the global CO2 level is still rising.
ozcad
Peat
Peat

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate